Which Hps Bulb? Please Help

• Thread starter dan1989
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
dan1989

dan1989

Feel free anyone to chip in here please. Tagged a few names at the bottom but anyone experienced with HPS lighting is who this is aimed at. Asked the guy at the hydro shop but he clearly didn't have a clue what he was talking about I.e he just works there and doesn't grow. What do you all think of sunmaster hps bulbs? I need a bulb that's digital ballast compatible, I've got a 600w lumatek digital ballast, I'm not into buying cheap, I'll buy expensive if need be, I don't want to grow any mid shelf bud. I brought this question up in the chat shit thread but never really came to a conclusion. Your opinions are like always very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dan

@sixstring @Wisher619 @mancdank @LeeMcGee @GrowGod @DrMcSkunkins

iKharon

iKharon

I know you're asking about hps but I've been hearing guys using ceramic metal halide and getting the same yields and a higher quality product. Check it out.
Agreed... only thing I'd do, as they are 315s, is run two, but for space and using one, it's just a bit more costly. Then again, you get what you pay for. But def listen to @StandingRock and check those out. Some good grow threads here on the farm of people rocking the CMh's

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I started out with a brand called hi lux but went to grow lush here in OZ they seem to be the mid ranged price ones anyway good luck I'm guessing there all much of a muchness which ever way you go .

mancdank

mancdank

Feel free anyone to chip in here please. Tagged a few names at the bottom but anyone experienced with HPS lighting is who this is aimed at. Asked the guy at the hydro shop but he clearly didn't have a clue what he was talking about I.e he just works there and doesn't grow. What do you all think of sunmaster hps bulbs? I need a bulb that's digital ballast compatible, I've got a 600w lumatek digital ballast, I'm not into buying cheap, I'll buy expensive if need be, I don't want to grow any mid shelf bud. I brought this question up in the chat shit thread but never really came to a conclusion. Your opinions are like always very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Dan

@sixstring @Wisher619 @mancdank @LeeMcGee @GrowGod @DrMcSkunkins
Sun master use cheapest of the cheap Chinese and stuck there brand on there if I call into the shop later I will show u exactly what I mean this subject has popped up now with various people on various threads. Imho u won't go wrong with lumatek bulb with your ballast ask him at the shop to open u up a cheap budget bulb and ask him to open up a lumatek bulb and as soon as u open the box and get the bulbs in your hand the price diffrence is noticed hope this helps Bro

dan1989

dan1989

Brilliant guys, thanks for the heads up on the sunmaster bulbs. I will look at all the brands everybody suggested. Makes sense using a lumatek bulb with a lumatek ballast I guess. All comments appreciated guys thanks!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For HPS and Metal Halide I have had consistent results and no failures for 3 years with Hortilux.

The Super HPS has 25% blue light. Much more than a standard hps and enough for decent resin production.

If I tried another I have had many with excellent results point me to Ushio.

mancdank

mancdank

I used to rock apollo bulbs. Cheap enough to use a new one every run. Always great results.
How u getting on bro long time no see and how u getting on with them 315s any thoughts on getting the 630's mine is still sat in the box waiting for me to get a minute to start work on the little project

LeeMcGee

LeeMcGee

In the past I started with MH and ended with HPS. Then I just ran the Eye Hortilux 1k bulbs all the way through but dialed down at the beginning. I've also tried the Ushio brand with equal success. I tested output regularly and never noticed a drop in output, even three years later.

Any thoughts on the idea you have to replace bulbs often to keep high output? I ran the hortilux and the Ushio side by side and neither seemed to drop in output?

It's been a few years for me so I like what someone pointed out above. Maybe check recent quality and see where they were made. If I'm not mistaken the Ushio are made in Germany.

dan1989

dan1989

In the past I started with MH and ended with HPS. Then I just ran the Eye Hortilux 1k bulbs all the way through but dialed down at the beginning. I've also tried the Ushio brand with equal success. I tested output regularly and never noticed a drop in output, even three years later.

Any thoughts on the idea you have to replace bulbs often to keep high output? I ran the hortilux and the Ushio side by side and neither seemed to drop in output?

It's been a few years for me so I like what someone pointed out above. Maybe check recent quality and see where they were made. If I'm not mistaken the Ushio are made in Germany.

I'm thinking to use led for veg and HPS for flower. I bought all the stuff anyway so that's what I'm gonna be doing. Having used LEDS all the way through on a couple of grows I can see that even the cheaper units are at least worth using in the veg stage if bit even for the power savings. And the mystical short internode theory seems to have shown itself to me but the bud density and size was mediocre at best. In all for trying new technologies and I'm doing a lot of research on MH and COB LED systems. I'm a complete amateur at growing but it takes an idiot to not see with their own eyes in many friends grow tents that HPS is a foolproof way of getting good yields.

I thank you all for your suggestions, I now have to choose from about 6 or 7 brands :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom