Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

The bottom line is there are situations where autos are the only reasonable option. None of these situations apply to me, but that doesn't mean they're not valid.
this topic is just a friendly debate really, i mean i dont grow them or plan to but base my opinion on the experiences of the people i meet.
But I can easily see how someone with a studio apartment or some other limited grow situation could grow themselves some weed with a minor investment.
you are saying auto is less of an investment why is this. im high and cant calculate properly you need to help me out here

D

dean1963

i prefer brunettes but i can deal with the occasional blonde.

point being,, do what ever you want to and who cares what someone else thinks of your choice

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

you are saying auto is less of an investment why is this. im high and cant calculate properly you need to help me out here
When I was 19 (back during the Pleistocene) I grew a plant in my dorm room, using window light and one of those "plant light" flood lights they used to sell. All someone needs is a 100W or 150W LED and a way to suspend it. That, plus a bag of soil and some nutrients would do it.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

When I was 19 (back during the Pleistocene) I grew a plant in my dorm room, using window light and one of those "plant light" flood lights they used to sell. All someone needs is a 100W or 150W LED and a way to suspend it. That, plus a bag of soil and some nutrients would do it.
so in conclusion autos are perfect for window sills 😀
running a 100w light for 3months.. whats the yield on those
i can understand that ok someone wants to get into growing with the purchase of a seed and light bag of soil and hopefully some nutrition.my recommendation remains run a photo indoor for veg if the season is shit and go plant it outdoor when its looking brighter outside. this will atleast yield something. better yet, plant during sowing season and let it spend its entire cycle outside. go for indica if its a short season. ive seen autos, heard the complaints, my opinion on them will never change but its interesting to figure out why someone will want to grow them

Last edited:
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

i prefer brunettes but i can deal with the occasional blonde.

point being,, do what ever you want to and who cares what someone else thinks of your choice
do you grow autos and why will maybe help me understand. plus when it comes to haircolor, it doesnt make the women you should be able to deal with whatever color they chose to wear.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

my assumption was that somebody in those geographical locations would know not to grow sativa. i was referring to 8-9 week flowering strains. if the goal is sativa autos? whats the harvest gonna be like on those. if they do actually go amber before dying then i could understand the point of wanting to grow sativa outdoors in short season using autos. ive seen indicas die on the stalk before ripe tho
well yeah, i know not to try to grow regular/feminized sativas outdoors here, but that doesnt mean i dont want to lol. Autos allow for something at the very least similar to its parent strain.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

well yeah, i know not to try to grow regular/feminized sativas outdoors here, but that doesnt mean i dont want to lol. Autos allow for something at the very least similar to its parent strain.
im actually starting to feel sorry for that situation of not being able to grow sativa outside. have you run the sativa auto before? results please,out of curiosity

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

breedwheel

breedwheel

I decided to give an auto a try because there are a few people out there saying they aren't as bad as people think. First go I yielded just shy of 1lb with two plants---banana kush by seedsman. Second was one plant 8oz. Real good smoke too. I have three now in their 5th wk of flower and its going to be a good month in March. You folks can rip my a@! all you want for saying this but the flavor, quality, and power of my first two I would match up to photos of the same type. I dropped a fan and broke off a main cola on one I have now and it never skipped a beat. Broke a branch damn near off on another with my LST skills taped it up with electric tape and it too bounced right back. Lollipopped them when buds appeared 35% off and did a pretty heavy defolation to open up top bud sites. I can't think of anything bad to say about autos. I probably got lucky with genetics. I have a good number of photo grows under my belt and have gotten efficient at this and do believe that also gave me a major leg up on someone relatively new. I'm also not out for quantity so that is not an issue but I will take my yields so far. I do know the ones I have grown are tough as hell.
I think people grow autos because they are faster for people who don't have perpetual grows or major resources. A decent tent, good light, ventilation, and the correct nutrient/watering schedule and I think a lot of people are growing some really good bud (guess you can say the same for photos...).

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

im intrigued but not finding any sativa heavy autos on my sales list. only dutch passion autos are trichome n cream and kerosene krash both hybrids..
yeah i just grabbed the first result for arguments sake lol. I dont grow autos but ive known people who have, read a number of experiences over the years, seen a lot of youtube vids. But generally i agree, I wouldnt recommend them unless youve got a reason, and beginners would probably be better with some good fems.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

evidently, i cant imagine harvesting that off the whole plant. you have grown photos before, why stop and make the switch?
I'm planning on running autos outside this summer. Why? Once September rolls around in my area, it gets difficult. Night time temps hit the dew point almost nightly and makes for bud rot/wpm conditions. Harvesting an auto in August gets you completely out of that situation.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I'm planning on running autos outside this summer. Why? Once September rolls around in my area, it gets difficult. Night time temps hit the dew point almost nightly and makes for bud rot/wpm conditions. Harvesting an auto in August gets you completely out of that situation.
your telling me that growing an auto outside from seed which takes 3 months. is going to be more worthwhile to do then take a mature plant in vegetative state outside for the same 3month period. i would dare you to run a comparison.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

your telling me that growing an auto outside from seed which takes 3 months. is going to be more worthwhile to do then take a mature plant in vegetative state outside for the same 3month period. i would dare you to run a comparison.
I've never run an auto-flower plant. This summer will be my first.

I've run many photos outside and I'm tired of fighting fall weather. Photo-period plants struggle to finish in Michigan. I don't know of any photo-period plants that you can grow from seed to harvest in 3 months (90 days) outside. Not in Michigan anyway. Photo plants don't start flowering here until early August. There are a few strains that will finish by the end of September but most are finishing in October. By then, you're fighting daily to keep your crop healthy.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I don't know of any photo-period plants that you can grow from seed to harvest in 3 months (90 days) outside.
no i suggested a mature plant in veg to be transplanted outdoor when your conditions are right
3 months will be flowering time only

E

elusiveshame

my assumption was that somebody in those geographical locations would know not to grow sativa. i was referring to 8-9 week flowering strains. if the goal is sativa autos? whats the harvest gonna be like on those. if they do actually go amber before dying then i could understand the point of wanting to grow sativa outdoors in short season using autos. ive seen indicas die on the stalk before ripe tho

I’m growing sativa autos right now, so I can answer this in about 4 weeks for ya :)

E

elusiveshame

Michigan doesn't have 3 months of outside flowering time. Not with photo-period plants. At best, you get 8 weeks.
About the same here, though I’m a wee bit south than you (New England) so we have from basically the summer solstice until maybe the 2nd week of October if we’re lucky.

Even then, I still wouldn’t try a photoperiod sativa here.

Top Bottom