Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

I've found that plants outdoors start to flower well before 12/12 lighting -- more like 14/10 or 14.5/9.5. In NC, I'd put cuts outside in April or May, and they were clearly flowering by the second week of July! I told the plants they were wrong and shouldn't be flowering yet, but they didn't listen to me.
Yes. People that only grow indoors are used to the 18/6 -12/12 time schedule... but plants can't tell time lol. They go into flower as soon as they sense the days shortening after the solstice, especially if they are mature, showing sex, vigorous and ready to rock and roll. They get thier stretch on and it's off to the races come summer. I'm still shocked by how fast flowers start to form sometimes. My earlier strains usually start showing preflowers by around the second week of July, and most all, even sativas, are flowering by the beginning, sometimes mid August. It's not the starting that's the issue, it's the finishing. I've contemplated some of the tricks people use to induce flower earlier, but I'm too afraid to make them herm out or something, so I just stick to busting my ass to keep them dry and happy come September when the dew starts setting in daily until I harvest. I leaf blow them early and by 7:30- 8, the sun is shining on them and they get fully dry. Everyone has a different living situation, climate, budget, skillset, and desired outcome. As long as we get to light one up at the end of harvest and it's smokable... who cares how we got there?

TSD

TSD

maybe rethink this one šŸ˜€ āœŒļø
Ok, they can sense the time that the light or sun is on them obviously, or we wouldn't be having this conversation about autos vs photos lol, but they're not sitting there thinking
"Well shoot, I was gonna start making buds today, but we're still at 14 hours of light, guess I'll hold off till there's exactly 12 hours of light." That's what I meant, they're not looking at a clock like humans. They bud when genetics say so. For some that may be 14, some 13, some 12. That's why I don't go out till 15 hours, I don't want to confuse them and end up with a herm or reveg situation.

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

I have grown some auto twice because i wanted some purple 1:1 thc/cbd strain, did not notice any signifiant difference with growing photoperiod.

Growing in SOG 8 plants 6 L pots 3x2x6(90x60x180) short veg usually 2 4 weeks

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Yes. People that only grow indoors are used to the 18/6 -12/12 time schedule... but plants can't tell time lol. They go into flower as soon as they sense the days shortening after the solstice, especially if they are mature, showing sex, vigorous and ready to rock and roll. They get thier stretch on and it's off to the races come summer. I'm still shocked by how fast flowers start to form sometimes. My earlier strains usually start showing preflowers by around the second week of July, and most all, even sativas, are flowering by the beginning, sometimes mid August. It's not the starting that's the issue, it's the finishing. I've contemplated some of the tricks people use to induce flower earlier, but I'm too afraid to make them herm out or something, so I just stick to busting my ass to keep them dry and happy come September when the dew starts setting in daily until I harvest. I leaf blow them early and by 7:30- 8, the sun is shining on them and they get fully dry. Everyone has a different living situation, climate, budget, skillset, and desired outcome. As long as we get to light one up at the end of harvest and it's smokable... who cares how we got there?
I had some cuts start to flower before the solstice one year. It was a UK Cheese x C99 cross. I couldn't believe my eyes and tried to convince myself that the plants had unusually heavy preflowers. I had to hammer what I saw into what I "knew," rather than update what I knew.

TSD

TSD

I had some cuts start to flower before the solstice one year. It was a UK Cheese x C99 cross. I couldn't believe my eyes and tried to convince myself that the plants had unusually heavy preflowers. I had to hammer what I saw into what I "knew," rather than update what I knew.
Yeah they all have thier own agenda, anything is possible. I know some folks flip to 12 before putting them out but I just can't bring myself to do it cause I'm afraid they'll do something weird... maybe I'll do it with one as a little experiment.

breedwheel

breedwheel

evidently, i cant imagine harvesting that off the whole plant. you have grown photos before, why stop and make the switch?
I'm a little confused on if you were making fun of me or not here... Here are the three I have now and today is the start of week 6. Long way to go. I truly don't understand your passion for hating autos when you have no intention of trying one. If I was out for quantity I would fill the tent up. They seem like normal pot plants to me pretty much...

IMG 7242
IMG 7243
IMG 7244
IMG 7245
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I'm a little confused on if you were making fun of me or not here...
not, but that is only cause i dont know you. i laugh at and with friends who grow autos next to photos
I truly don't understand your passion for hating autos when you have no intention of trying one.
i have no intentions no. hate is a strong word i definitely dislike them tho for the reason being that they are on heir own timer and offer the grower less control. would you for example want your surgeon to be told he has 2hours to complete a 3 hour open heart surgery and with missing tools
If I was out for quantity I would fill the tent up. They seem like normal pot plants to me pretty much...
if you were out for quantity would do better outdoor or in a room or scrog a photo in tent
they arnt the same as 'normal' strains they are genetically different

Last edited:
Habosabin

Habosabin

If Apple could make a mj plant it would be an auto so you can't control anything. Lol.

Seriously though, if you gonna do autos pick up the best genetics you can. I've grown 5 or so autos(run of the mill genes) before my photo and the photo plants were so much better in frost and punch.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

your telling me that growing an auto outside from seed which takes 3 months. is going to be more worthwhile to do then take a mature plant in vegetative state outside for the same 3month period. i would dare you to run a comparison.
the point is that a photo wont flower during june/july and then be ready for harvest in Aug. Even if you flip it to flower indoors, the moment you put outside it will reveg until around mid Aug where im from. Then flowering starts and theres 8 weeks min to finish. That puts me to mid Oct. I could start an auto in April indoors, bring her outside first of june, and it will finish sometime in Aug. The timeline can vary, but the pount remains the same. An 8 week photo in Canada doesnt finish till Oct outdoors. An Auto could finish as early as July if timed right.

TSD

TSD

the point is that a photo wont flower during june/july and then be ready for harvest in Aug. Even if you flip it to flower indoors, the moment you put outside it will reveg until around mid Aug where im from. Then flowering starts and theres 8 weeks min to finish. That puts me to mid Oct. I could start an auto in April indoors, bring her outside first of june, and it will finish sometime in Aug. The timeline can vary, but the pount remains the same. An 8 week photo in Canada doesnt finish till Oct outdoors. An Auto could finish as early as July if timed right.
Right, so for the Northern folks that don't want to deal with the late fall battles, frost, dew, rain, cold, wind storms, pests, possible snow etc... planting several autos instead of a couple photos may be beneficial, because if you don't put in the work and your shit goes to mold late in the season, it really doesn't matter how big the plant got if it's trash or if it can't reach maturity even if it'snot trash... finishing before all those undesirable climate effects take place may be worth the tradeoff in size and maybe a little potency to get a finished mature plant. Growing outdoor up here in the North isn't for the faint of heart or the lazy, because you get out what you put in. I'd rather pay in labor and have a product I'm happy with than pay in dollars and smoke bunk ass commercial... but that's me lol.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

no i suggested a mature plant in veg to be transplanted outdoor when your conditions are right
3 months will be flowering time only
You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how a photoperiod works. Photoperiods cant and dont mature until there is more than 10hrs of uninterupted darkness at night. That only happens when the seasons change, and varies depending on how far from the equator you are. In Michigan, thats early Aug. In Ontario Canada where i am, its about mid aug. A plants flowering period doesnt start till that date. The exact same plant, clones even, in Michigan will finish flowering a week or 2 before that same clone in central Ontario. It doesnt matter how mature it is when i put it outside, it just grows bigger before flowering. Yes you can get more weight off one plant, assuming the bud rot or pm doesnt ruin it all.

An auto flower is fundamentally different from that. It will grow and flower and be ready for harvest in the exact same amount of time both in Nome Alaska and directly on the equator.

E

elusiveshame

Imagine being laughed at (and with) for doing something you enjoy, and getting slack from people that just want to prove their point that nobody is arguing.

And I thought the microbrew community was pretentious...

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how a photoperiod works. Photoperiods cant and dont mature until there is more than 10hrs of uninterupted darkness at night.
i dont appreciate this comment and im not reading the rest of it, you are already wrong.

TSD

TSD

no i suggested a mature plant in veg to be transplanted outdoor when your conditions are right
3 months will be flowering time only
Like I said above, it's about having a healthy robust plant to put out and giving it a headstart to get large... When you start it has no bearing on when it flips to flower really, other than ensuring it has time to show sex and get big... mine continue to veg for at least a month until mother nature tells them to do otherwise. You can't just put it out and then start counting 3 months of flower immediately, that's not how it works. I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, I'm just stating facts from my personal experience.

breedwheel

breedwheel

not, but that is only cause i dont know you. i laugh at and with friends who grow autos next to photos

i have no intentions no. hate is a strong word i definitely dislike them tho for the reason being that they are on heir own timer and offer the grower less control. would you for example want your surgeon to be told he has 2hours to complete a 3 hour open heart surgery and with missing tools

if you were out for quantity would do better outdoor or in a room or scrog a photo in tent
they arnt the same as 'normal' strains they are genetically different
You just like to disagree with people I think. I am not growing any autos next to photos. What the hell did your surgeon reference mean? I think one of the whole point of autos to begin with is they are faster--won't produce as much as a photo--but what else would you expect? You also act like every person on the planet can step out their backdoor and start a pot field. I know my neighbors and other authorities wouldn't appreciate it. I have also managed to figure out that these "autoflower" plants are genetically different. The next time I mention filling a tent up for quantity I will make sure to mention I will be using the scrog method too so that also doesn't become a topic of debate. Apologies for using the word "hate". I swore a few years ago I would never try one because of their reputation but am glad I did.

E

elusiveshame

You just like to disagree with people I think. I am not growing any autos next to photos. What the hell did your surgeon reference mean? I think one of the whole point of autos to begin with is they are faster--won't produce as much as a photo--but what else would you expect? You also act like every person on the planet can step out their backdoor and start a pot field. I know my neighbors and other authorities wouldn't appreciate it. I have also managed to figure out that these "autoflower" plants are genetically different. The next time I mention filling a tent up for quantity I will make sure to mention I will be using the scrog method too so that also doesn't become a topic of debate. Apologies for using the word "hate". I swore a few years ago I would never try one because of their reputation but am glad I did.

Growing weed is as serious as survey, or did you not get that memo? šŸ˜›

TSD

TSD

Different strokes for different folks as they say. There's a million ways to grow. As long as we're all getting our medicine safely... who cares how we get there? Autos are good for small spaces, indoor secret grows that need to stay small, climates that have shit growing seasons. They have thier place... that's why they were invented... if they were wholly useless, they wouldn't still be a thing right?

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Different strokes for different folks as they say. There's a million ways to grow. As long as we're all getting our medicine safely... who cares how we get there? Autos are good for small spaces, indoor secret grows that need to stay small, climates that have shit growing seasons. They have thier place... that's why they were invented... if they were wholly useless, they wouldn't still be a thing right?
Im not one bit ashamed to admit the fact that i grow autos outside in new york because i just don't want to fight for a harvest. My first photo grow was last summer and i basically lost everything and what i did get, was about 4 ounces of unfinished weed because of 3 frosts and then a freeze, so i turned it to hash am im going back to autos this summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom