Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Stonerbudz

Stonerbudz

Also you gotta remember that autoflowers are actually harder to grow for beginner’s compare to photos from study’s

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
So you let it grow nanners during revege, until seeds produce. Sorry I'm pretty new man?.....
No worries.

No. Nanners are not involved. I reversed the plant so it would blow pollen and seed itself and the other girls in the tent. I used STS and sprayed her once, then another time a week later. This blocks the plant's ability to produce Ethelene which forces the plant to produce pollen sacs. The resulting seeds are female.

But you don't need to do all that. If you just harvest her by cutting off the buds (not the full branches), leave a few leaves and buds, keep watering her, she should reveg.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Growing autos indoors is like riding a scooter at the skate park.
My buddy says growing autos is like riding a bike with training wheels you can't take off. That's kinda true if you grow it indoor. Still, it's a great way to learn if you have the attention span needed to grow anything for a few months. If you can't grow an auto, don't even attempt a photo unless you put it outdoor in the ground.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

Here's two autos 8 days old this morning, when they are 14 days old I will transplant outside and see how they do. They are in coco right now and get feed every day with 20 percent run off and EC 1.0 PH 5.8 in one liter air pots.

Screenshot 20220516 080954
Screenshot 20220516 080935
Blastfact

Blastfact

My buddy says growing autos is like riding a bike with training wheels you can't take off. That's kinda true if you grow it indoor. Still, it's a great way to learn if you have the attention span needed to grow anything for a few months. If you can't grow an auto, don't even attempt a photo unless you put it outdoor in the ground.
You have no forgiveness time in the grow cycle with autos if there are problems. Now days it's like it takes three grows for noobs to even figure out how to water, throw in ferts, lighting and environment. It's a disaster more times than not. Just look at the post here and on other boards. Then throw in the Facebook morons. It's sooooo bad now days it's truly comical.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Sorry, I skipped most of this thread when it went south in the beginning.
That being said;
In the Pacific Northwest, it's difficult finishing outdoor photos without mold and bud rot in Oct. I started 9 different auto seeds yesterday. I suspect they will finish in mid August. Plus, they will be "flipping" around the longest summer days in June.

coherent

coherent

For a quick grow indoors, fair quality and some big ol' buds, autos work fine. This was chopped recently. Purple Gorilla Kush Auto. One small plant. About 12 weeks from seed, 1 lb.

Purple gorilla auto 7 16 22
D

designinsidepk

Too many people buy into the seed bank hype of easier/faster. I think you need more research into this . . . autos flip themselves quickly but the actual flowering period is generally the same for an auto or a photo, 7-10 weeks from pistils to harvest. Based on my limited experience with autos . . . couple of runs I knew better than to spend my $$$ on them again. Also, if in a hurry I can flip a photoperiod plant at 21 days and it will likely finish before an autoflower started at the same time . . . my photos generally only yield about 3-5 oz when flipped early like this, but that's all I've gotten off an auto at it's best.

The only thing easier about autos is they don't require a change to the light cycle . . . and if we can't set an analog timer to 12/12 we're probably going to have trouble with mixing nutes, monitoring pH, ppm, etc. I hear folks say light leaks won't hurt them . . . fix the leaks, how hard is it get inside a tent or room with lights off and tape/caulk/seal any light leaks?
Free cannabis seeds
And what do I do when that one plant needs that extra week of veg? Ask the auto to wait? Or just accept a shit harvest? Maybe grow a photoperiod next time so I can add a week or two to veg and be happy with my grow rather than mad because it flowered at 8".

For me a big part of growing is producing the best quality flower I can, consistently. Can't do that with autos.
Is this true?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Is this true?
Which part?

I've never grown an auto, because they don't fit in to the way I grow. But, according to just about everyone who has grown them on this site, they are NOT easier to grow.

Filling empty space in a grow? Outdoors with a short growing season? Have a light but no tent or other equipment to control light? All these are legit reasons to grow autos, in my opinion. Otherwise, why give up higher quality weed that gives you control over flowering, and allows you to take cuts to keep special plants?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

empty space in a grow? whats that
outdoors with short season. get ahead and veg indoors
no tent? tents are new what did peoole do before tent
(just adding on)
auto flowering plants waste your time and money when compared to photoperiod its no comparison . its indica sativa vs ruderalis its not the same game

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

Is this true?
IMHO, yes but also no. Autos arent that bad. They can be faster than photos, and from seed they often are. But i can clone a photo and flip and harvest the clones in a similar amount of time as an auto. You cant clone an auto, so youre growing from seed every time. For some, this is a problem, for others it is not. The bud quality should be comparable to photos, but often the thc and cbd content is lower at the extremes. Youre probably not going to see a 30%+ auto flower, but again, some people care, others do not. You also wont have a sativa dominant auto flower for 14 plus weeks, plus however many weeks of veg.

One thing you can do with an auto is just toss a couple in your flowering room with your photos. If youre like me and use the same space for veg and flower, you could put the autos in mid flower, harvest, flip back to veg and just leave the autos to finish under 18/6.

For me personally, the no cloning is the dealbreaker. Finding a really good pheno and then cloning it to hell and back is my goal. Sometimes that requires popping a bunch of seeds of the same strain, finding the good/best one, then ramping up a full run with clones from just that one pheno. You cant do that with autos. You could pop 5 seeds and get 5 phenos, find one thats really good, but if you want more of that, you havd to keep popping more and more seeds just to find that one plant you really want. I dont have the time or money for that.

Just my 2 cents

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

(just adding on)
auto flowering plants waste your time and money when compared to photoperiod its no comparison . its indica sativa vs ruderalis its not the same game
I cant get ahead and veg indoors when the strain takes 12 weeks to flower and doesnt start till mid Aug. By first week of Oct we can have snow here. Doesnt matter how long i veg them indoors, it doesnt shorten the plants flowering cycle, and doesnt extend my flowering season.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

you don't have the option then to flower 12 week flowering strains is all im getting
made some good points above the qoute tho

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

no you would not. what do you mean by similar auto?

Theres little chance i could finish most haze variants outdoors. Even a 9 to 10 week flower runs me into Oct. The strain above though, or any other sativa auto, i could get a head start indoors, as you suggested, and harvest mid sept, mid aug, mid july etc, all depending on how early i start them indoors. I can even potentially get 2 outdoor harvests with autos that way.

Your suggestion doesnt work at all with photos. Starting them early indoors just means bigger plants that still dont finish till Oct.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

(just adding on)
Empty space in a grow was one of the reasons one of the auto growers here said he uses them.
Not everyone can start plants indoors.
If someone can't afford a tent or anything but a light, they are unlikely to be able to afford fitting out a separate room or closet for the purpose.

The bottom line is there are situations where autos are the only reasonable option. None of these situations apply to me, but that doesn't mean they're not valid.

I wouldn't grow an auto, myself, and I find myself surprised that I'm defending them. But I can easily see how someone with a studio apartment or some other limited grow situation could grow themselves some weed with a minor investment.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Theres little chance i could finish most haze variants outdoors. Even a 9 to 10 week flower runs me into Oct. The strain above though, or any other sativa auto, i could get a head start indoors, as you suggested, and harvest mid sept, mid aug, mid july etc, all depending on how early i start them indoors. I can even potentially get 2 outdoor harvests with autos that way.

Your suggestion doesnt work at all with photos. Starting them early indoors just means bigger plants that still dont finish till Oct.
my assumption was that somebody in those geographical locations would know not to grow sativa. i was referring to 8-9 week flowering strains. if the goal is sativa autos? whats the harvest gonna be like on those. if they do actually go amber before dying then i could understand the point of wanting to grow sativa outdoors in short season using autos. ive seen indicas die on the stalk before ripe tho

Top Bottom