Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

doubtful. But better than plenty I’ve smoke and seen. Difference negligible IMO. If cloning/breeding not in your plans, then I see no reason to avoid them. On a day to day, they go toe to toe with other smoke out there. Not like I have wagyu and crystal with every meal.
So it would it be fair to say - if you want to grow the GOAT, you have to do photo's.

DanC520

DanC520

Idk. That seems like a wildly subjective and unverifiable assertion. GOAT according to who? Additionally, people argue all the time about genetics and beans. Quality and price. So not like the pursuit of the absolute objective “best” the sole goal anyways.

I grow both. counting seedlings, I have 17 photos going and 2 autos. Not like I’m some agent for Big Auto. But run after run I’ve been impressed. And I’m not hunting these. They’re just one pop.

growsince79

growsince79

Idk. That seems like a wildly subjective and unverifiable assertion. GOAT according to who? Additionally, people argue all the time about genetics and beans. Quality and price. So not like the pursuit of the absolute objective “best” the sole goal anyways.

I grow both. counting seedlings, I have 17 photos going and 2 autos. Not like I’m some agent for Big Auto. But run after run I’ve been impressed. And I’m not hunting these. They’re just one pop.
Well, since its personal use, the only opinion that matters is mine. I'm always trying to find and grow the finest smoke I've ever had. I've smoked and grown a long time and have some very potent strains that are hard to beat. So I think I have a better chance of winning with photos.

steamroller

steamroller

I start mind in solos - transplant early to avoid stress is all ur fine
Just up potted to 3 g which I am pretty sure is their final .
I am counting 5/8 as day one [ popped out of soil ], so seems like things went well and are going well ?
0515221646a
0515221646b

0515221650 HDR

We'll see .... 🤔
They also got moved outdoors today. 😎
Auto or photo, there are both in the last photo. They're both cannabis so I don't see any problems ..Let the love grow , not hate and die .
What do I know ? 😶‍🌫️

DanC520

DanC520

Well, since its personal use, the only opinion that matters is mine. I'm always trying to find and grow the finest smoke I've ever had. I've smoked and grown a long time and have some very potent strains that are hard to beat. So I think I have a better chance of winning with photos.
My autos have contended with photos, so I’ll continue to grow them. I know I’m not alone in that regard, but that argument has an element of an appeal to the masses fallacy.

But there is a common sense component to it. If they truly objectively notches below, the market wouldn’t be as strong for them. The features like generally quicker and less light leak issues are only selling points if the end product comparable.

That said, nobody has to grow them. Not like it’s mandated. But I wouldn’t shy away if quality a concern. Pop some Mephisto or Night Owl beans and I doubt anyone will be disappointed.

Side note, another feature is lower entry price point. Mephisto sells single and three packs (all will have extras). So a home grower can get a bunch of strains to try from an established breeder without breaking the bank.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Maybe I've overlooked something but the advantage over photo period seem to be it is easier, not having to deal with light cycles and a predictible finish date if the supplier is accurate,you could get a grow with autos in before sexing photos,but photo you now have clones so you make up time (but it is more involved and perhaps it's not an option so that makes sense). Now photos are head to head and some photo strains will beat an auto from clone in flowering,so the time you initially gained now you will keep losing as the clones will grow into monsters the following year for outdoor use as well, easily out producing any auto. Obviously this is for people who also grow indoors for preservation,people get offended and that's crazy,I couldn't care less if someone told me photos sucked,I'll grow what works for me and my situation,it's just a debate.
On the contrary in my opinion they much harder to control lite cycle s really the only advantage imo

Stonerbudz

Stonerbudz

What are the reasons for growing auto as opposed to photoperiod? It is just because it's easier? Or faster? Are there advantages? Is it just convenience? How do the genetics stack up? What is the market for autos?
So people grow autoflowers for couple different reasons 1 of the reason is that they can grow them quicker than an photo so there you can grow more each year and also people grow autoflowers because they are more hardy to pest and mold and also they flower by itself so you don’t need to switch any light schedules so you can have more light witch can also sometimes lead to bigger yields

Moshmen

Moshmen

I would agree the quality can be up there but difficult to achieve for new growers imo

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Uh, why? Seriously.
I haven't tried tissue culture, but the only way I know of to clone an auto is to keep it alive past harvest. It'll reveg. The new growth can be cloned, but the plants come out pretty small.

This a revegged auto (LSD 25)

The powder is pollen, not PM.

DanC520

DanC520

I would agree the quality can be up there but difficult to achieve for new growers imo
I’d guess that any limiting factor not ideal for new growers, so in that regard I agree.

My first autos were on my 3rd grow. Not sure if that still “new” or not. No issues on my end that run, outside of the five foot monster.

OTCusp

OTCusp

I haven't tried tissue culture, but the only way I know of to clone an auto is to keep it alive past harvest. It'll reveg. The new growth can be cloned, but the plants come out pretty small.

This a revegged auto (LSD 25)
View attachment 1245383
The powder is pollen, not PM.
So you let it grow nanners during revege, until seeds produce. Sorry I'm pretty new man?.....

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Bc in my state you can only grow 3 plants at a clip, so when 3 plants go into flower closet you start 3 more, this is a perpetual grow, it would be stupid to grow 3 photos and wait 6 months for 1 3 plant crop.

20220515 114119
20220512 091353
20220512 091308
growsince79

growsince79

Bc in my state you can only grow 3 plants at a clip, so when 3 plants go into flower closet you start 3 more, this is a perpetual grow, it would be stupid to grow 3 photos and wait 6 months for 1 3 plant crop.
Most photo hybrids can be grown in 3 months from seed. Not sure why you say 6.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
For me personally it’s my first grow, wanna see a harvest, practice drying and curing, get used to the soil I’m using since it’s readily available (happy frog products, also have a local store selling promix, next grow may switch to see the differences, very experienced in outdoor veggies but trying to balance tent temps and humidity, I’d personally rather do this on a 2-3 month plant cycle opposed to spending 5-6-7 months on a plant and not see a full cycle or 2. I did my research and never knew autos existed until I planned to start my first grow, looked into the differences between the two and decided it would be better to try autos first and really be able to understand the growth patterns and stages since they are closer together than photos. Very good chance I’ll run both eventually but it seems like a good tool to take advantage of that people didn’t have before

Top Bottom