Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

loveinyourheart

No advantages? I think someone is rather biased

The bolded part above is simply not true. Autos will never have the potentcy you can find in Photos, period. There are 0 autos that exists that can produce buds over 30% THC. Or at least I havent found one yet. This is because they have had to be crossed with a ruderalis at some point down the line to get the auto flowering characteristic. Ruderalis has little to no THC. So once they managed to get proper autos bred in the first place, they then have to cross and back cross multiple times to both retain the autoflowering, AND get the THC up higher. Todays autos are getting pretty good, with THC levels Ive seen in the mid 20's. However, photos can get up to the mid 30s.

There is one very solid advantage to autos. Seed to harvest in as little as 50 days. In photos, 50 days is a rather short "flowering period", after 3 or more weeks of veg. With an auto, thats your entire grow. You can have upwards of 5 or maybe 6 harvests per year, from seed, without any overlap. So a single room, a single light, and every 50 days youve got 1-2 pounds of dry bud from a single 4x4. Photos cant compete with that timeline without multiple rooms, multiple lights and overlapping veg and flower for each run.

That being said, I refuse to grow autos lol.
i see constantly lab report of mephisto genetics being higher then 30% thc

Blastfact

Blastfact

Funny this post pops up. I just went and saw a bean buddy and bought two packs of seeds and then got a free one. I decided I would try his wedding cake auto strain. Lots of locals have enjoyed the grow with these seeds and the quality of smoke they produce. So I thought what the hell. Haven't grown any autos in a decade or better....

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

sure, ok… lol

Wow thought we were at the Farm. Place seems more like RIU with this thread. ☹️
Well they do suck. You have a diff male every batch to start with so even if you find something you like,it's not like you're checking for male characteristics,just putting 2 together and hoping then it's lost unless you get real lucky. Are the ruderalis plants tested over and over like a good breeder does with males? I bet not. But as I said earlier whatever works ,this is just IMO,I don't care what others grow ,this is an opinionated platform,along with fem seeds flooding markets ,soon reg seeds will be scarce and genepool diversity fades.

Clearbluesky

Clearbluesky

In my experience the haters on autos have never had a successful run, they are not for beginners, stick with photos until you get a few grows under your belt. But autos are very potent you just need to know how to grow them, grow what makes you happy.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

In my experience the haters on autos have never had a successful run, they are not for beginners, stick with photos until you get a few grows under your belt. But autos are very potent you just need to know how to grow them, grow what makes you happy.
I fully agree grow with what makes you happy. If autos are harder to grow as you imply,it's even less desirable.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Your post is wrong, sir. You can clone autos and even reset their internal growth clock using plant tissue culture propagation.

But the advantage of cloning an auto is just more plants,it still has a death sentence as a strain.

steamroller

steamroller

I have my first autos growing now .
Just decided to give them a try ? 🤔
I started mine in solo cups against conventional auto wisdom.😲
I just chose them so I can harvest in August and leave my photos to finish as they will.🍻
My thread is where I keep track of them .
I have 18 that I just moved from indoor tent to small greenhouse .
I'll update my thread[ see signature ] today when I am done up potting the autos . Again against conventional auto wisdom..

Moshmen

Moshmen

Nah,autoflowers suck,to say they are good is silly
This is a constant debate I grow both a run an occasion a great auto usually from beans on the farm, not packed breeder crap , but get more consistent with photos - more control , to run good autos u gotta be on top of ur game ! Lol

Moshmen

Moshmen

I have my first autos growing now .
Just decided to give them a try ? 🤔
I started mine in solo cups against conventional auto wisdom.😲
I just chose them so I can harvest in August and leave my photos to finish as they will.🍻
My thread is where I keep track of them .
I have 18 that I just moved from indoor tent to small greenhouse .
I'll update my thread[ see signature ] today when I am done up potting the autos . Again against conventional auto wisdom..
I start mind in solos - transplant early to avoid stress is all ur fine

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

This is a constant debate I grow both a run an occasion a great auto usually from beans on the farm, not packed breeder crap , but get more consistent with photos - more control , to run good autos u gotta be on top of ur game ! Lol
Maybe I've overlooked something but the advantage over photo period seem to be it is easier, not having to deal with light cycles and a predictible finish date if the supplier is accurate,you could get a grow with autos in before sexing photos,but photo you now have clones so you make up time (but it is more involved and perhaps it's not an option so that makes sense). Now photos are head to head and some photo strains will beat an auto from clone in flowering,so the time you initially gained now you will keep losing as the clones will grow into monsters the following year for outdoor use as well, easily out producing any auto. Obviously this is for people who also grow indoors for preservation,people get offended and that's crazy,I couldn't care less if someone told me photos sucked,I'll grow what works for me and my situation,it's just a debate.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Maybe I've overlooked something but the advantage over photo period seem to be it is easier, not having to deal with light cycles and a predictible finish date if the supplier is accurate,you could get a grow with autos in before sexing photos,but photo you now have clones so you make up time (but it is more involved and perhaps it's not an option so that makes sense). Now photos are head to head and some photo strains will beat an auto from clone in flowering,so the time you initially gained now you will keep losing as the clones will grow into monsters the following year for outdoor use as well, easily out producing any auto. Obviously this is for people who also grow indoors for preservation,people get offended and that's crazy,I couldn't care less if someone told me photos sucked,I'll grow what works for me and my situation,it's just a debate.
People get offended at everything these days. It is super funny. Also everyone knows everything which is also funny to me.

growsince79

growsince79

Some photos will finish from seed faster than some autos. I just cut one 72 days from sprout.

L

loveinyourheart

to answer the thread, im a beginner and have limited space. and after some research, it seemed that going with good genetic autoflower was the easiest way to get myself started in the path of growing my own weed. my first mephisto genetics grow is going quite nicely and i expect ill have plenty of weed till my next grow cycle.
eventually ill also try good photo to understand the differences. kinda suck to know that the general consensus is that overall photo are superior. live and learn i guess haha

DanC520

DanC520

I can’t smoke it for you. So I guess have to take my word for it. I might not be the most experienced grower, though I ain’t bad, but smoking? Confident in my resume in that regard. Autos are fine.

88FF3158 AEB7 49B0 A718 2ACE67B86F82

575E601C A9E7 4ED6 98AE 1FE7AB5B7C0E
068786F1 2B07 432A 81A1 D8BF066A3FFD
B0890FB6 658C 46B2 AC17 7687B90E90DE
0857AC96 C4EC 4E6D 9FEB 62ACD3BBD03D
55276F82 2976 48EF AE91 8805A3A39F2B
FEC7F349 8A02 4FC9 A68B B249BCFD885A
471F14AB A3D8 4E77 A391 D6A270654B1D
8428450F 4494 4AF8 AC01 6472FB82A087
7895A39B 287D 4989 BA81 9DCB5BD109CB
CFA68FAC AA19 4937 8190 E3842099148E
0E520E34 9914 4192 9F0E E8E7584CDD06
2B59BF71 0C91 4736 ABA7 077AA7F9BB9F
D6E38B3F 02AA 47D1 8862 33F5741B0B3B
04273185 170B 45CF A6F8 BF52F6199E9A
B13149A6 FC6D 4108 B318 4D9D1871E4DB

B8C0975A 1390 41D1 9D3E 5E5524C6186B
9F3F7A6B 77E0 4B69 A844 E369BA058BF2
D8806BF1 F127 46BF A41F 9CA457C9B51E

DanC520

DanC520

doubtful. But better than plenty I’ve smoke and seen. Difference negligible IMO. If cloning/breeding not in your plans, then I see no reason to avoid them. On a day to day, they go toe to toe with other smoke out there. Not like I have wagyu and crystal with every meal.

Blastfact

Blastfact

to answer the thread, im a beginner and have limited space. and after some research, it seemed that going with good genetic autoflower was the easiest way to get myself started in the path of growing my own weed. my first mephisto genetics grow is going quite nicely and i expect ill have plenty of weed till my next grow cycle.
eventually ill also try good photo to understand the differences. kinda suck to know that the general consensus is that overall photo are superior. live and learn i guess haha
The problem with autos is there on a time line and if anything goes wrong your screwed. The time needed to correct a issue or issues is very compressed. Take one of my current photo grows in mid flower. Wife got sick,,, ended up in the hospital,,, she trumps weed grows. Grow got abused during that time. I no more than get her home and work at fixing the grow and we have historic storms and flooding, loosing power and environmental conditions go to crap. Then I go to feed last Thursday, open up my dry ferts I've been using for years and they have went bad and now smell like the remains of drowning victims. Not wanting to order more of those ferts because this was going to be my last run with them I switch gears to Nectar of the Gods that I'm using on another grow. Any one of those three issues could severely hurt if not destroy a auto grow. Throw all three in and it's up there at disaster levels for a auto grow. And truth be known it darn sure didn't help my photo grow one bit. But I still have time to work on the grow and keep it a worthwhile grow. I can slow the grow down a bit and pull another 6 to 7 days out of the grow time line pretty easy and work at spiffing up the photo grow. If it was a auto grow I might be able to pull 2 extra days out of the grow. But once you start that auto grow clock it's like a time bomb,,, the clock is ticking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom