Will Indoor Bud be around in 5 years??

• Thread starter Johnlandy420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I've been doing this a long time. Nope,,, disagree,,, whole heartily disagree. But to each there own..... I grew for years outdoors and nursery style in Arkansas, SoCal low and high land, Colorado low and high land and Oklahoma in that order. Grows were landrace and bred up candy ass fufu weed strains. All early hybrid strains were either euro or n. cali. Outdoor will give far more quantity per plant hands down. But indoor quality has always trumped outdoor and nursery grows by a large margin when grown indoor using the same seed/strain. Please don't get me wrong I like a outdoor grow and the mother earth stuff and feeling good about them and hanging your thumbs in your bib overalls. After all I am a arkie/okie boy and do redneck/hillbilly naturally. But even my friends in the gulf states USA have all but stopped there outdoor and nursery grows because the over all quality is better indoors and they don't need the quantity's needed for distro as they move into retirement.
Like you said to each their own,just my take on it and I respect yours and everyones and appreciate the other views. I'm saying,providing it's a good year,if you took clones of the same plant (not one that has been bred for indoors through selection)lets say a Thai or a haze,you grow it indoors,then you let it grow in the mountains of Colombia or Mexico,Jamaica,where they are from and pressures they have adapted to,you won't get near the quality of the outdoors, for starters you wouldn't have enough sunlight to activate thvc production,you couldn't get the UV rays that would stimulate the defences to produce different cannabinoid ratios and quantities,pests that are native to stimulate terpenes etc. that gave it taste,made it trippy and impossible to sleep. Same with say an Afghani,you won't reproduce the environment they would get in their native land,something will be missing from the total effect . Like 79 said the best he has ever smoked is outdoors and same with me,imported Cambodian ,Vietnamese,Thai,Hawaiian ws phenomenal,and I'm going way,way back and nothing has touched it since and it was really rare then. They certainly weren't grown inside.It wasn't manicured,there were no hybrids, when I started there was no such thing as indicas,everybody got high not stoned and no one ever smoked it to get drowsy effects nor was it considered medicinal,nothing wide blade and nothing imported from India. Even back then Bags were $250-$300 in my hick area in Canada ,a bunch of us would go in on a bag.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I'm at 41N and people say my outdoor is the best they've ever had. I built my raised beds with fresh mushroom compost and horse crap and have spent the last 10 years building up a 'no till' garden that is SUPER rich and airy. My plan was to grow p. Cubensis but the law failed to pass in 2012. I grow one plant each year outside and get 2-3 lbs of beautiful flower.

Now I am struggling with my indoor game.
I've always wanted to grow shrooms inside but I tried it and failed and never gave it another shot.

TSD

TSD

Outdoor weed is worthless garbage. Premium extract is 3 bucks a gram. Outdoor has always been and will always be a disappointment. It's the poo. Call it what it is. Sun powered = the poo. Make extract with it. Or wear a hippy costume and pretend it's good for some nonsense reasons. But it ain't.
That might be the most pompous statement I've read on here yet lol. If you know what you're doing and start early, the sun is always going to outperform sad little leds in terms of terpenes... taste and smell can't be matched indoors. Sure indoor is easier, a controlled environment is always easier...but that doesn't mean it's better full stop.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Got into huge argument today lol.

When will the quality of greenhouse/outdoor flower catch up to indoor? Or has it already?
Any good greenhouse/outdoor guys care to chime in?

I only grow indoors but I believe good genetics and a properly designed greenhouse (not too humid) will produce the same if not better quality.
I'm not so sure about that. I have a greenhouse and I'm not positive what you mean by properly designed. If by that you mean state-of-the art climate control equipment, then you've eliminated almost every home-grower because state-of-the art greenhouses are expensive to build once you've installed all that climate control equipment.
Outdoor weed is better if you have fertile soil and a great climate. No one can grow like mother nature.
I'm an indoor grower and a greenhouse grower and I whole-hearted but respectfully disagree.

While nothing can out-do the light from the sun, there's so many more variables to deal with when growing outdoors than you'll ever find inside. In my area, you'll see some of the dispensaries offering "sun-grown" flower. It costs less. Why? It's considered to be a lower quality product due to bug dung and other types of contamination. Also, most outdoor growers I know wash their buds prior to drying and curing them. Why? Once again, bug dung and other types of contamination.

Indoor grown weed isn't going anywhere anytime soon because that is where the best of the best is grown.
Gotta be good climate. Lack of control on full outdoor seems daunting. Greenhouse offers a bit more shaping
Yes, but greenhouses also have their own issues. Fall temperatures drop which causes condensate on the glass. I have outstanding ventilation but I still can't get rid of the condensate on a late October day. Not enough sun to burn it off and way too much rain. You end up with an environment prone to WPM and bud rot.

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
I'm not so sure about that. I have a greenhouse and I'm not positive what you mean by properly designed. If by that you mean state-of-the art climate control equipment, then you've eliminated almost every home-grower because state-of-the art greenhouses are expensive to build once you've installed all that climate control equipment.

I'm an indoor grower and a greenhouse grower and I whole-hearted but respectfully disagree.

While nothing can out-do the light from the sun, there's so many more variables to deal with when growing outdoors than you'll ever find inside. In my area, you'll see some of the dispensaries offering "sun-grown" flower. It costs less. Why? It's considered to be a lower quality product due to bug dung and other types of contamination. Also, most outdoor growers I know wash their buds prior to drying and curing them. Why? Once again, bug dung and other types of contamination.

Indoor grown weed isn't going anywhere anytime soon because that is where the best of the best is grown.

Yes, but greenhouses also have their own issues. Fall temperatures drop which causes condensate on the glass. I have outstanding ventilation but I still can't get rid of the condensate on a late October day. Not enough sun to burn it off and way too much rain. You end up with an environment prone to WPM and bud rot.
Yes essentially a modified greenhouse that is cost prohibitive upfront but cheaper in carrying costs compared to a good indoor facility. Yeah my home base is Michigan and the few people I know that have tried this “modern” greenhouse have also complained about the need for supplemental lighting and the difficulty keeping moisture levels down. I guess time will tell.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes essentially a modified greenhouse that is cost prohibitive upfront but cheaper in carrying costs compared to a good indoor facility. Yeah my home base is Michigan and the few people I know that have tried this “modern” greenhouse have also complained about the need for supplemental lighting and the difficulty keeping moisture levels down. I guess time will tell.
I would consider my greenhouse to be modern. It's got polycarb panels through out. You can check my profile for a pic. Now mine has been heavily modified in an attempt to help control the environment. It works very well during the spring and summer, but not in the fall. I even have a propane heater in there but that's kind of self defeating since propane heat produces moisture. Supplemental lighting is probably the easiest thing to do. I have lights in my greenhouse. But when it comes to climate control equipment, it keeps on costing you long after you purchase it because it uses lots of electricity. It's also tough to de-humidfy a greenhouse. It's like trying to de-humidify the whole region in an attempt to drive your humidity down.

Commercial growers are different. It's a lot easier for them to spend a half million dollars on a state of the art greenhouse because of the return on their investment through dispensary sales. Us home growers aren't "supposed to be" selling our extras. Yeah, I know it happens all the time, but probably not enough for most of us to make enough in black market sales to cover the cost of even a scaled down version of a commercial operation.

I built mine. I work a skilled trade job so this kind of thing is second nature to me and I do all my own "everything" when it comes to building/maintaining/upgrading things. But even doing all the work myself won't get me a state of the art setup in my greenhouse on my salary ....

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
I would consider my greenhouse to be modern. It's got polycarb panels through out. You can check my profile for a pic. Now mine has been heavily modified in an attempt to help control the environment. It works very well during the spring and summer, but not in the fall. I even have a propane heater in there but that's kind of self defeating since propane heat produces moisture. Supplemental lighting is probably the easiest thing to do. I have lights in my greenhouse. But when it comes to climate control equipment, it keeps on costing you long after you purchase it because it uses lots of electricity. It's also tough to de-humidfy a greenhouse. It's like trying to de-humidify the whole region in an attempt to drive your humidity down.

Commercial growers are different. It's a lot easier for them to spend a half million dollars on a state of the art greenhouse because of the return on their investment through dispensary sales. Us home growers aren't "supposed to be" selling our extras. Yeah, I know it happens all the time, but probably not enough for most of us to make enough in black market sales to cover the cost of even a scaled down version of a commercial operation.

I built mine. I work a skilled trade job so this kind of thing is second nature to me and I do all my own "everything" when it comes to building/maintaining/upgrading things. But even doing all the work myself won't get me a state of the art setup in my greenhouse on my salary ....
Yes forgive me. Not just modern but absolutely state of the art.. Dehumid heat load can be used to help in frigid climates as well but to tie my point together, I believe a pumped up greenhouse can produce bud comparable to indoor bud. Now you can argue it’s practically indoor anyways with all the mods but it is still much much cheaper to operate than indoor facility. So I was just predicting that’s where a lot of the “quality” buds will be produced in the future. It goes without saying that hot arid climates will be even more suited for these beefed up greenhouses because they won’t require as many modifications but still allow for a lot of control over the million variables.
Fck thanks for all the responses guys. Some real OGs in here spitting truth LOL 🌱 ❤️

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes forgive me. Not just modern but absolutely state of the art.. Dehumid heat load can be used to help in frigid climates as well but to tie my point together, I believe a pumped up greenhouse can produce bud comparable to indoor bud. Now you can argue it’s practically indoor anyways with all the mods but it is still much much cheaper to operate than indoor facility. So I was just predicting that’s where a lot of the “quality” buds will be produced in the future. It goes without saying that hot arid climates will be even more suited for these beefed up greenhouses because they won’t require as many modifications but still allow for a lot of control over the million variables.
Fck thanks for all the responses guys. Some real OGs in here spitting truth LOL 🌱 ❤️
I'll give you that ... Everything you said is 100% correct ... except for the part about at what point does all the money spent hurt your pocket book and no longer make sense. What you're talking about is doable ... but I'd question how practical it would be unless you hold a commercial license and can legally seek a return on your investment through dispensary sales. Even then, there's no guarantees of financial fortunes.

Case in point - Aurora Cannabis has already done exactly what you're talking about. Also last I knew they had yet to make a profit at anytime in their history. They have even shut down some of their production facilities in an attempt to leverage operating costs.

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
I'll give you that ... Everything you said is 100% correct ... except for the part about at what point does all the money spent hurt your pocket book and no longer make sense. What you're talking about is doable ... but I'd question how practical it would be unless you hold a commercial license and can legally seek a return on your investment through dispensary sales. Even then, there's no guarantees of financial fortunes.

Case in point - Aurora Cannabis has already done exactly what you're talking about. Also last I knew they had yet to make a profit at anytime in their history. They have even shut down some of their production facilities in an attempt to leverage operating costs.
Well yeah. Of course at the point I’m mentioning carrying costs Im talking commercial. Plus, Aurora could have done much better. Semantics argument now but yeah these “fancy” greenhouses are quite expensive. I think someone also mentioned another good point about getting as close to the equator as possible. Colorado is good but it can get even better. I know a contractor in Guam who swears he will never grow in the states again after being there 😂😂

Blastfact

Blastfact

Like you said to each their own,just my take on it and I respect yours and everyones and appreciate the other views. I'm saying,providing it's a good year,if you took clones of the same plant (not one that has been bred for indoors through selection)lets say a Thai or a haze,you grow it indoors,then you let it grow in the mountains of Colombia or Mexico,Jamaica,where they are from and pressures they have adapted to,you won't get near the quality of the outdoors, for starters you wouldn't have enough sunlight to activate thvc production,you couldn't get the UV rays that would stimulate the defences to produce different cannabinoid ratios and quantities,pests that are native to stimulate terpenes etc. that gave it taste,made it trippy and impossible to sleep. Same with say an Afghani,you won't reproduce the environment they would get in their native land,something will be missing from the total effect . Like 79 said the best he has ever smoked is outdoors and same with me,imported Cambodian ,Vietnamese,Thai,Hawaiian ws phenomenal,and I'm going way,way back and nothing has touched it since and it was really rare then. They certainly weren't grown inside.It wasn't manicured,there were no hybrids, when I started there was no such thing as indicas,everybody got high not stoned and no one ever smoked it to get drowsy effects nor was it considered medicinal,nothing wide blade and nothing imported from India. Even back then Bags were $250-$300 in my hick area in Canada ,a bunch of us would go in on a bag.
All and I mean all of the Vietnamese, Cambodian and weed from Laos was all laced with heroin. Every bit of it and I bought kilos of it. It was the same high as marble heroin hash bought from Europe, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Lebanon and other places. Hawaiian grown weed is without a doubt the smoothest smoking I've ever had in my life but down the rungs on the stoner scale. Thai weed outdoor or indoor is the best I've ever smoked in my life along with real Oaxacan/Woehakin from Guatemala/Mexico. But all in all it's pretty much a mute discussion because those days are pretty much over and have been for some time now. So we do the best we can with fufu candy ass fairy weed we have now days. Rest assured if it wasn't for the love for growing I would not be doing it at any level now days indoor, outdoors or otherwise.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

All and I mean all of the Vietnamese, Cambodian and weed from Laos was all laced with heroin. Every bit of it and I bought kilos of it. It was the same high as marble heroin hash bought from Europe, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan, Lebanon and other places. Hawaiian grown weed is without a doubt the smoothest smoking I've ever had in my life but down the rungs on the stoner scale. Thai weed outdoor or indoor is the best I've ever smoked in my life along with real Oaxacan/Woehakin from Guatemala/Mexico. But all in all it's pretty much a mute because those days are pretty much over and have been for some time now. So we do the best we can with fufu candy ass fairy weed we have now days. Rest assured if it wasn't for the love for growing I would not be doing it at any level now days indoor, outdoors or otherwise.
I hope those days come back, I read Thailand is giving a million cannabis plants to it's citizens and allow people to grow at home,I hope they are landraces and not some dutch seedbank,pharma or government making a deal, maybe something will come out of it. All we can do is work with what we have access to now and preserve your best and keep looking for the grail.

Ponky

Ponky

That might be the most pompous statement I've read on here yet lol. If you know what you're doing and start early, the sun is always going to outperform sad little leds in terms of terpenes... taste and smell can't be matched indoors. Sure indoor is easier, a controlled environment is always easier...but that doesn't mean it's better full stop.
But it doesn't. And hasn't for 3 decades. Outdoor here is 100% the poo. So I assume it's because I'm too far from the equator. There's a reason I've seen literal tonnage of weed. And never good outdoor. Yet. I still think other parts of the world might be able to grow good outdoor. Just not at this latitude.

growsince79

growsince79

I hope those days come back, I read Thailand is giving a million cannabis plants to it's citizens and allow people to grow at home,I hope they are landraces and not some dutch seedbank,pharma or government making a deal, maybe something will come out of it. All we can do is work with what we have access to now and preserve your best and keep looking for the grail.
I read that too. They were all low thc hemp. ☹️

TSD

TSD

But it doesn't. And hasn't for 3 decades. Outdoor here is 100% the poo. So I assume it's because I'm too far from the equator. There's a reason I've seen literal tonnage of weed. And never good outdoor. Yet. I still think other parts of the world might be able to grow good outdoor. Just not at this latitude.
I dunno man, I'm practically in Canada and I manage to grow some good shit. Been smoking it all year and it still gets me baked. 🤷‍♀️
Sure the people that guerilla grow and don't tend thier shit are going to have sub par results... not arguing that... but if they are actually cared for outside... I'll take outdoor over indoor any day.

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

As long as there are people, there will be stealing. Outdoor plants are going to be seen and stolen.

Ponky

Ponky

I dunno man, I'm practically in Canada and I manage to grow some good shit. Been smoking it all year and it still gets me baked. 🤷‍♀️
Sure the people that guerilla grow and don't tend thier shit are going to have sub par results... not arguing that... but if they are actually cared for outside... I'll take outdoor over indoor any day.
I don't get high from Pot. But I've helped many loads among the pipe line. And we have never had or seen or heard of an example of outdoor you could smoke. And one guy said Hawaiin outdoor tasted great. But he didn't pretend to get super high from it. And some of our buddies from India and packistan claim there are decent our door landraces to smoke there that grow outside. If awesome outdoor existed where I live I would have seen the load. At least once over the years. I'm solidly asserting good outdoor is regional. And most regions don't get it. And people are too proud of the weed they grow to admit no one else wants to smoke it. Where as here if the first 2 puffs aren't flawless its in the ash tray. Outdoor is for making extract. Not packs.

TSD

TSD

I don't get high from Pot. But I've helped many loads among the pipe line. And we have never had or seen or heard of an example of outdoor you could smoke. And one guy said Hawaiin outdoor tasted great. But he didn't pretend to get super high from it. And some of our buddies from India and packistan claim there are decent our door landraces to smoke there that grow outside. If awesome outdoor existed where I live I would have seen the load. At least once over the years. I'm solidly asserting good outdoor is regional. And most regions don't get it. And people are too proud of the weed they grow to admit no one else wants to smoke it. Where as here if the first 2 puffs aren't flawless its in the ash tray. Outdoor is for making extract. Not packs.
Everyone is entitled to thier opinion man. Before legalization, weed from my area got sent down to the city and sold for 4-5 grand a pound. The old timers want good outdoor, haven't had a problem getting rid of my extra. Never seen outdoor you could smoke? What region are you in, if I may ask? I dunno what those growers are doing, but clearly it ain't right. I open a jar in my house it's gonna stink for an hour. I'm not saying my shit is better than anyone else's, but it ain't poo and it's surely smokable. Way better than dispensary weed. 🤷‍♀️ Also, if you don't get high from Pot, I don't think you get a vote on what is better lol.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

If you don't get high from the weed ,it means it's shitty weed.I don't think there is a choice,it's not a placebo, if you smoke it and if it's good you will get effects, and yes I agree people are so proud of their own weed they won't take criticism but these days everyone is offended by anything .

TSD

TSD

If you don't get high from the weed ,it means it's shitty weed.I don't think there is a choice,it's not a placebo, if you smoke it and if it's good you will get effects, and yes I agree people are so proud of their own weed they won't take criticism but these days everyone is offended by anything .
I'm happy to take criticism lol, that's how you improve. I grew 5 strains last season and 2 were not up to snuff both in effects, smell and taste, so they went to the edibles pile. One of them was GSC, I dunno if I just got a subpar pheno or what, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype that strain gets, I won't grow it again. The other was Golasa, but that was probably more on me because it was at another location and didn't get babied near as much as my garden ladies and also didn't have full day sun like them, but had enough. Looked beautiful, but again, the high was just meh and so was the taste. You get out what you put in.

Top Bottom