Wise and knowledgeable expert advise for DWC at altitude.

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm sorry I was not more clear in my meaning.

In 5 gallons of RO water, you add 1 drop of 85% acid, that ph will swing wildly. Same for base.

Doing so in a water system other than your RDWC can actually be helpful to kill off some microbes, and is a feature of using small amounts of water without a buffer and concentrated acid or base. For example, you kill e-coli at PH of 3.5, no heat or UV or caustics needed.

Add Acid - PH pegs to one end. Then bring it back down with a base, locally, right around the drop you added, you will peg it the other way. As they mix, PH will become in the right range and form a buffer.

This see saw needs to be avoided in the RDWC. Thus the comment to pre-dilute and carefully titrate.

It was not my intention that you TRY to do this in your res lol. But I can see in my clumsy wording how that could have come across.
Its hard to explain things for me like this also. I get caught assuming people understand why im saying what i am

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I'll simplify.

5 gallon bucket of make up water you want to prep. Full of RO.

Add in 85% acid. PH drops bigtime. Death to microbes!!!!!!!!

Add in the base. PH comes back up. Adjust to 5.8, and you now have a bucket of prepped water that is buffered and PH set, with very few if any microbes.

Grab a cupful of res water and dump it in for a tiny bit of food.

Drop in a bio ball that was in your live res.

All that water needs now is nutes, and you can decide what to add at the time you use this water based on what the plants are telling you.

I

IamN2pot

It was not my intention that you TRY to do this in your res lol.
It's all good man. If experiance is the best teacher, then I certainly learned something this morning. I just dumped it and started over. It was just my 'extra' water res. Now I know better, I think!

On another note, look what showed up. I'm playing with it in the kitchen sink as I type and it does heat and cool water. Right now she's set at 70* with a .5* dead spot. Heat/machine turns on at 69*5 and off at 70.0*, cooling comes on at 70.5* and machine turns off at 70.0*. SWEET. On a side note, I've noticed it of course blows warm air from the fan when cooling, but blows cool (AC?) air when it heating. Hmmm???

IMG 20230220 125927

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It's all good man. If experiance is the best teacher, then I certainly learned something this morning. I just dumped it and started over. It was just my 'extra' water res. Now I know better, I think!

On another note, look what showed up. I'm playing with it in the kitchen sink as I type and it does heat and cool water. Right now she's set at 70* with a .5* dead spot. Heat/machine turns on at 69*5 and off at 70.0*, cooling comes on at 70.5* and machine turns off at 70.0*. SWEET. On a side note, I've noticed it of course blows warm air from the fan when cooling, but blows cool (AC?) air when it heating. Hmmm???

View attachment 1333087
That’s normal

I

IamN2pot

Not sure if it's technically a heat pump, it doesn't have a compressor. But then I'm not sure if a heat pump has to have a compressor? The one on our house in Phoenix did, compressor went out and had to be replaced...

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Pretty sure Phoenix is in a Valley and N2 is in the mountains.

As far as the heat pump goes, doesn't really matter what you call it but it's moving heat from one location to another, and the direction of moment can be switched. Expect hot air coming out when in chiller mode an visa versa

I

IamN2pot

Lived there on and off for 40 years. Yeah, and if we were lucky we got frost covered roofs for a white christmas. 🤣 🤣 🤣 We get REAL snow in Pueblo.

Say Moe, is snapping down the yellow lid on a 17gal tote 'sealed'? A cheap 'blue' Lowes 5 gallon with lid? Or just those 55 gal blue water barrels for storing pre-treated RO water? What's that old saying of mine: if you aren't ready, willing and able don't matter... 🙃

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

All of those are probably good enough. in the order you have them in worst to best.

I'm gonna start making gaskets for these totes on my laser cutter at some point to get a better seal. If there is a little weight on top they are mostly sealed. Without weight, the lids keep the dust out but do not prevent gasses from changing out.

I

IamN2pot

What are your environmental readings?

Do you have a phone app for measuring PPFD?
Sorry I missed answering these. My PPFD is indeed Android phone + UT383 BT lux meter. Here is Shane testing/recomending it.
Enviroment in bedroom is, 75* and 39% RH. Tent is 81* and 38%. Water is holding a steady 69.9* - 70.5*. Oh, and that is aprox .5* warmer than my Bluelab pen temp, so on the pen it's just 69* to an occasional 70*. No more frozen water bottles!!! 👍 😁

I

IamN2pot

Just checking in. Things are going smoothly with the 'trainer'. pH is staying between 5.6-6.0. Those are my adjustment points, hope that's about right? No "wild" swings, just .1-.2 overnight or over the day. Tomato plant is growing like krazy! Went to work on the garage tents yesterday. I have the 4 x 5gal up and running, to keep a close eye on air temps. The 160L/42gal chiller is on it's way, due here next week.

After all the crap from those 2 china meters (green and white faced), when I saw this on sale yesterday, I upgraded. SWEET $$$$ 176.** check it out! Failure is not an option!!! 👍

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

After all the crap from those 2 china meters (green and white faced), when I saw this on sale yesterday, I upgraded. SWEET $$$$ check it out! Failure is not an option!!! 👍
That's a really nice price. Good find bro! You will love the convenience of this. With just a glance you will know exactly what is going on in your water.

I

IamN2pot

👍 Guess what was delivered today, and it's bone dry? 15-6-17 Clone, wet on left, dry on right. Now, for my first question. I'm thinking come Sunday I'll do a water change. I'm getting it preped in the reserve tote. So should I try 7-10 more days in the Clone or go to the A/B for Stage 1 in the Nutrition Schedule for Fruiting Crops, below?

Question #2? in the feed schedule, it has grams per 100 gallons. So simple math is if it calls for 315.xxgr of Clone, 3.15gr per gal. Should I go full strength it I go with the A/B, 2.1EC or??? EC is currently .3!

IMG 20230222 160351

Screenshot 2023 02 22 71349 PM

IMG 20230222 191121

Roots from Monday and today, some difference!!!!! 😲 😲 😲 😲
IMG 20230220 073233

IMG 20230222 191201

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Nice.

I think you will be happy with the blulab.

Glad this bag arrived correctly.

If you mix up 100 gallons of clone, no way you will use it. On the back of my bag it gives the gallon formula I think, not there to look right now.

EC of .3 is OK, although I have no idea what that does for a tomato. At this stage with cannabis, I'd be looking for 300 - 500 PPM range, or .3 - .5. You are in the right zone.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Nice.

I think you will be happy with the blulab.

Glad this bag arrived correctly.

If you mix up 100 gallons of clone, no way you will use it. On the back of my bag it gives the gallon formula I think, not there to look right now.

EC of .3 is OK, although I have no idea what that does for a tomato. At this stage with cannabis, I'd be looking for 300 - 500 PPM range, or .3 - .5. You are in the right zone.
500 scale? 0.3 woukd be 150ppm

Top Bottom