Yellow tips on new growth

• Thread starter Harry_Manback
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

Not many things changed so far, plants recovered. Buds still fattening, so I'm watching trichomes closely and getting ready to taper nutes.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Ok, so there are two strains Gorilla Cookies and Super Lemon Haze. One is supposed to be more chill Indica, high amounts of THC, so the one that'll be for weekends and relaxation. Super Lemon Haze should be a daytime type of strain, so, energetic, motivating and generally uplifting.

Both are on 10th week as of Tuesday. I've read about trichomes and also there was a thing about these little hair things(forgot the name again), like, when 75% of those turn amber it's one of a signs to start chopping plants down.

By the way I see quite a bit of purple colour, so that'll mean that PH is at 7, right?
Thats right about the purple, but if you wait until 50% or more of the trichomes turn amber, its most likely going to make it a very stoney, couch-lock kinda high. When the trichs have nice round heads and are a milky white, THAT is when your THC is at peak concentration. When the trichs turn amber its because THC has degraded to CBN/CBG/delta-8 (i believe, but please correct me if im mistaken about the compounds). So if you want an energizing high, like that super lemon haze, i would harvest as soon as those trichs start turning amber.. once they start turning amber (take a look to make sure) but usually they atart turnin amber once they have reached peak THC, sowhen i see amber....✂✂✂

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

Just a little update with pics!

Feels like trichomes are almost at the point of turning milky.

IMG 20210425 155026
IMG 20210425 155018
IMG 20210425 154612

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
now i’m just looking at photos but it looks like most hairs have changed colour and have curled back laying on the bud..
no jewellers loop?
how many weeks since switch?

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

now i’m just looking at photos but it looks like most hairs have changed colour and have curled back laying on the bud..

Mostly true for the last pic\plant. It's close to 60%+ of hairs being amber, for others - there are still like 60% of white hairs and buds keep plumping up.
Got a magnifying glass, so far trichomes are still clear, it seems. They should become milky and opaque first before going amber, right? :)

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Thats right about the purple, but if you wait until 50% or more of the trichomes turn amber, its most likely going to make it a very stoney, couch-lock kinda high. When the trichs have nice round heads and are a milky white, THAT is when your THC is at peak concentration. When the trichs turn amber its because THC has degraded to CBN/CBG/delta-8 (i believe, but please correct me if im mistaken about the compounds). So if you want an energizing high, like that super lemon haze, i would harvest as soon as those trichs start turning amber.. once they start turning amber (take a look to make sure) but usually they atart turnin amber once they have reached peak im standing beside my plants right now and i dont like to talk about harvest or any ✂✂ around them so i use the emogi so i dont stress them about thinking about
Mostly true for the last pic\plant. It's close to 60%+ of hairs being amber, for others - there are still like 60% of white hairs and buds keep plumping up.
Got a magnifying glass, so far trichomes are still clear, it seems. They should become milky and opaque first before going amber, right? :)
That's right. The resins build up on the surface and along the tiny little hairs all over the plant/calyx/leaf surface. As the resins build, they start building up along the little hairs until they turn into stalks, with the bulk of the cannabinoids shaping into the head at the top. They start out as clear resin. There is barely any cannabinoids in it at this point. As the plant matures and more cannabinoids are produced, the trichomes turn a milky white, the most potent will be snow white. If left to ripen/continue maturing at this point, the trichomes start turning a pale yellow and eventually amber as THC is degraded and broken down into CBN/CBC/CBG/ect....
If you want a really heavy body high with sedating type couch-lock, then let the gorilla trichomes get about 50% amber before harvest and if you want a really energizing, uplifting high, then harvest your super lemon haze as soon as you see about 10% of thebtrichomes turning amber (i actually oull mine sooner if the trichs are nice and white and 75%+ pistils are orange then choppy choppy. Hope this helps bud. Your plants seem to recover well, im really glad to see that. I knkw PLENTY of growers who had WAY less to show after their first grow so you should be proud. Usually all you get from your first grow is experience 🤣🤣. Im glad the new meter is working well too, i just knew something was wrong with how low you needed the pH. Looking forward to your next update. Happy growing.
DwJ

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

Hi there, I've been looking all over trying to understand what's wrong with my plants and finally coming out of lurking to ask directly.
It's my first grow, I'm growing 2 auto strains (Gorilla Cookie and Super Lemon Haze). Feeding both the same stuff using same guidelines. Using BioBizz nutes. Problem is: my Gorilla Cookies started getting yellow tips on new(mostly higher) leaves. I thought it could be a light burn, so moved my lights( mars hydro led grow lamp ts1000) up, this still happens, lowered intensity to 75% - same effect. And this only happens to GC and not Super Lemon Haze. Minding the fact that GC grew quite taller, but otherwise it's the only difference.

Growing in BioBizz All Mix, keeping PH between 6.5-7 and feeding 2x-3x times a week(2x with nutes and 1 time just water) according to BioBizz official schedule. Nutes and supps I'm using: Top Max, Fish Mix, CalMag, Bio Bloom and Bio Grow. Let me know if I missed anything important for deducting the issue!

Attached couple of pics, one shows said yellow tips and another is whole plant, so you can see that most lower leaves do not have any yellow tips, and those that have got it since they were smaller, yellowing didn't change or progress further. So I thought it couldn't be nutrient burn. But again, this is my first grow and my experience is limited to reading\observing others only.

Regards
I'd prob dial the nutes slightly back my self. I usually feed 50% less than recommended and ill go up from there untill I see some color on the tips then back off just a touch.

Whiskydrunk420

Whiskydrunk420

So was checking plants today and one's not looking that good. I can only imagine that it's Calcium deficiency. Lower leaves are affected, not all of them, but some of the bigger fan leaves.

Will only water with calmag today and see how it goes.
Looks like you got thrips , second pic on the bottom . Hate those things

Texasbob

Texasbob

Hi there, I've been looking all over trying to understand what's wrong with my plants and finally coming out of lurking to ask directly.
It's my first grow, I'm growing 2 auto strains (Gorilla Cookie and Super Lemon Haze). Feeding both the same stuff using same guidelines. Using BioBizz nutes. Problem is: my Gorilla Cookies started getting yellow tips on new(mostly higher) leaves. I thought it could be a light burn, so moved my lights( mars hydro led grow lamp ts1000) up, this still happens, lowered intensity to 75% - same effect. And this only happens to GC and not Super Lemon Haze. Minding the fact that GC grew quite taller, but otherwise it's the only difference.

Growing in BioBizz All Mix, keeping PH between 6.5-7 and feeding 2x-3x times a week(2x with nutes and 1 time just water) according to BioBizz official schedule. Nutes and supps I'm using: Top Max, Fish Mix, CalMag, Bio Bloom and Bio Grow. Let me know if I missed anything important for deducting the issue!

Attached couple of pics, one shows said yellow tips and another is whole plant, so you can see that most lower leaves do not have any yellow tips, and those that have got it since they were smaller, yellowing didn't change or progress further. So I thought it couldn't be nutrient burn. But again, this is my first grow and my experience is limited to reading\observing others only.

Regards
I totally agree with GNick, look like nute burn.

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

Oh boy, did I choose the right time to harvest, top bud, the fattest one caught bud rot!
Good thing it's only one, others are fine and even top one is barely affected, so I removed all signs of mould and separated this one from the rest. All others girls are cut up and placed in dark place to dry!

So, I do understand there's barely any point in even trying to smoke bud affected with rot, just tossing it into the garbage whole also seems a bit like a waste. I've removed all the rot and there's left like 50% of bud not affected, can I actually do anything useful with it? :D

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Oh boy, did I choose the right time to harvest, top bud, the fattest one caught bud rot!
Good thing it's only one, others are fine and even top one is barely affected, so I removed all signs of mould and separated this one from the rest. All others girls are cut up and placed in dark place to dry!

So, I do understand there's barely any point in even trying to smoke bud affected with rot, just tossing it into the garbage whole also seems a bit like a waste. I've removed all the rot and there's left like 50% of bud not affected, can I actually do anything useful with it? :D
post a pic of it

Harry_Manback

Harry_Manback

Threw out all the rotted parts, here's the fairly intact. Bud had 2 big parts, lower one was affected, so I threw it away and took upper part. This is it, just split it open to check for mould etc, but this looks fairly fine to me.

IMG 20210509 190001
IMG 20210509 185942

Top Bottom