• Thread starter geologic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Can you just look at a plant and tell if it's "sat-dom";
or does it have to have a certain level <for lack of better word> of effect too???
I'm ignorant about that stuff.

If you can tell by looks, I guess this would be my best example of sat-dom;
it's #1 (the earliest), and it the largest.

I don't usually let 'em get that big, 5 feet is real big for me--
I usually keep 'em between 3 and 4...

Sat1

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Geo, I also go by bud structure. I'll have to look through my old pix, but let me see if I can show you what *I* was taught/consider to be traits of Sativa-dominant vs Afghani (aka Indica) dominant strains. Be back in a minute!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Thanx; all I "know" is skinny fan leaves vs., ah--
fat fan leaves...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There's that, but there are also aspects of growth habit. Sat-doms spread out. The node spacing is much greater. The buds develop into what I call a 'ropey' appearance, that is to say that instead of fat colas stacked deeply in relation to the main branch on which they're growing, discrete bud sites develop and give the branch itself the appearance of having a rope twined along its length. But! Compared to some of the most wild Sats I've seen pix of, even this growth habit is strongly hybridized, on those nothing like a discrete bud is formed, but instead calyxes with their own pistils spaced apart.

Afghani-doms tend to become 'Christmas trees' whereas Sat-doms might have a more open and rounded silhouette.

I'm having a hard time finding the pix I was thinking of when I posted previously, too. I can find stuff that looks like what you posted, but I wanted to show this Kushberry that I grew out several years ago that really had the ropey-bud thing going on, never formed anything like a 'cola', it was buds roped up the branches.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Them gold/red Colombian seeds from the square groupers and square pigs of the '70s
would grow into Christmas trees if I didn't prune 'em.

All my plants are heavily PrunedForMainstems--
so a view of their "natural" habit isn't possible...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I see, you've never really been able to see them in their natural growth habit before. Whereas I, on the other hand, have enjoyed that luxury. Let me do ONE LAST search on my drive, I could have sworn I had some pix of that Kushberry I let go.

I'll say also that, in my (admittedly limited in total) experience, Sat-doms tend to be easier to overfeed, and always withstand higher humidity levels than Afghani-doms. However, like I said, I think my total experience growing is still fairly limited in comparison to the old timers who've tried to school me. Maybe one of them will chime in...? @Jalisco Kid ...?
(Yes, JK, we can 'call upon' you, like a genie.)

Ropey kushberry buds

Cali blus n kushberry

Found 'em! The CB was a good hybrid, but really grew into a Christmas tree no matter how often I topped 'em. Stacked pretty well, too.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ya know what? I kinda really wish we still had that camera. :/ Yeah, it was gettin' old, but my pix were much better, especially when I had to do a good bit of white balancing.
<--- is experiencing WB issues with the current camera and photographing clothing, etc, for the eBay action. <sigh>

J

Jalisco Kid

There's that, but there are also aspects of growth habit. Sat-doms spread out. The node spacing is much greater. The buds develop into what I call a 'ropey' appearance, that is to say that instead of fat colas stacked deeply in relation to the main branch on which they're growing, discrete bud sites develop and give the branch itself the appearance of having a rope twined along its length. But! Compared to some of the most wild Sats I've seen pix of, even this growth habit is strongly hybridized, on those nothing like a discrete bud is formed, but instead calyxes with their own pistils spaced apart.

Afghani-doms tend to become 'Christmas trees' whereas Sat-doms might have a more open and rounded silhouette.

I'm having a hard time finding the pix I was thinking of when I posted previously, too. I can find stuff that looks like what you posted, but I wanted to show this Kushberry that I grew out several years ago that really had the ropey-bud thing going on, never formed anything like a 'cola', it was buds roped up the branches.
That is usually from too much N. I max out 120 at .05 and run in veg at 100 ppm on a true sat. Sats do not like big temp dif in day/night Temps. They appreciate being tied down more then my other girls. JK

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Maybe so, JK, but if it were only that, wouldn't I see the same response in the Afghani-dom plants, as well as other related issues? I have tended to attribute some of the stretching I observed in that particular bed to daytime shading via tall pine in our area, but also see it in other beds that aren't similarly shaded, leading me to conclude a large part of that is natural growth habit. I cannot control RH fully outdoors, maybe if/when I get a large enough greenhouse.

neverbreak

neverbreak

plenty of interesting information in this thread! i like it.

View attachment 356501

what a cola bro! dunno if i'd call that sat-dom..fa leaves have that look, but that cola is stacked massively. whatever it is, it sure is nice.

neverbreak

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I've been talking to folks about (what I call) "Tape Stems" for almost 40 years.
Nobody had ever heard of 'em or seen 'em. Then I found The Strain Hunters about 6 months ago.
Right there in the mountains of Morocco were bunches of 'em--
they call 'em "Flat Stems"...
I just watched that episode a few days ago..was a good one

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

Can you just look at a plant and tell if it's "sat-dom";
or does it have to have a certain level <for lack of better word> of effect too???
I'm ignorant about that stuff.

View attachment 356501

That is redonkulous! My guess would be a sativa-leaning hybrid, but I'm surely no expert on guessing by aesthetics. Regardless I'm sure it'll be awesome to smoke!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I hate growing Sativa Dom's and plan to stay clear of them from now on
Foxtails suck!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
[rant]I was very confused when I heard the term being used is "foxtails".
I mean, the name was already taken: Colas de Zoras;
these things don't even look like foxtails.[/rant]

Aren't "foxtails" the same things that them folks in Thailand--
tied around their sticks???...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That led people into thinking that shit was dipped in opium it got ya so fucked up? Yep.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
That led people into thinking that shit was dipped in opium it got ya so fucked up? Yep.

They said that about that "black" and white layered Afgee Hash too: "Wow. It's opiated"

I always just laughed and said: ah; (1) opium is blacker than the hash, so why are the layers white (it was a benign mold I think, cut/layered for looks), and (2) opium is 10 times more expensive than the hash, that just don't make ah, cents (or dollars).

I said the same thing about the "opiated Thai sticks", adding: (a) rollin' them little pinners you would end up tasting it (extremely bitter) and smelling it [raw opium has a distinct (obnoxious to me) smell of the latex (much like bolted-lettuce) and after sparking it you would smell it's distinct perfume in the air and you would get, ah, opiated.

Just 'cause you got a one hour couch-lock from 1 (or 2) hits--
don't mean it's opiated...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Edit:
Colas de Zoras>
Colas de Zorras...

Latest posts

Top Bottom