2014 vegetable garden action.....

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Or you could leave it and plant stuff that tends to bolt under it.

putembk

putembk

Got all my cold weather seeds/veggies in the ground. Have some broccoli starts under lights indoors and will put them in the ground later this week or early next. I also have tomato starts indoor and will baby them along until the threat of the last frost has pretty much gone. Won't be until almost June at this altitude. Soil is well prepared and just need warmer weather to get the rest of the garden in the ground. Gonna be another good year for veggies.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cilantro always bolts on me, I hear that to keep it in a vegetative state it has to be kept cool and shaded. Lettuces should do ok, too.

Cort

Cort

Cilantro always bolts on me, I hear that to keep it in a vegetative state it has to be kept cool and shaded. Lettuces should do ok, too.
Let some bolt, free seeds to replant. Also, the ground seeds are coriander spice.

I am thinking, due to my poor soil that crusts after being wet, that I will use up a surplus bag of coco as seed cover when I plant. I want these bitches to be able to make it out of the ground.

2 of 3 beds are prepped, 3rd should be ready this morning. Thinking I will start scouring the world for free wood and plant in a way that will let me turn one bed at a time into a boxed raised bed with 100% compost and underground drip emitters. Think time and cost to turn sand into loam will be returned by just using the compost and some wood.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I have never been able to beat the desert and the damn caliche soil i have into submission cort,sometimes i wished for sand,raised beds work for me now.Sea,im going to give hugelkulture a try next year,i like how much it supposedly saves on water.I dont have much grass, maybe two 30x30 squares and im going to convert one of those to raised beds because im tired of watering and maintaining grass i cant eat.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think anyone who's in a desertified area should be looking at basic permaculture concepts. I believe there's even a book called Greening the Desert.

Based on my observations of a huge pine we took down a few years ago, logs hold an INCREDIBLE amount of water. A log base is also what's used for Korean Natural Farming methods.

Cort

Cort

LOL, now in addition buying good compost I need to find a way to import some logs. Unless palm or Joshua trees work.... It seems like a great system, rooted in nature, just not what I am looking to do at this place.

I dont intend to make this home permanent. The years it takes to create good fertile soil are the years I will live here. I could dump tons manure, compost and other organic matter into the soil but by the time it starts to thrive, ill be gone. ( I hope to be out in 5) I dumped 7-8 yards of material into the garden this year, between compost horse and cow manure and hardly dented to soil quality.

Instead, my latest idea is to sink boxes into the ground to keep roots cool, keep the boxes high enough to deter the ever present rabbit, install an in-ground emitter drip and run pure organic compost + amendments like OG Biowar, teas, worms by the pound and some source of micro-nutes. Gravel or decorative wood mulch paths will lend a eye pleasing touch. When I sell this house there will be an easy to maintain, thriving garden of flowers and veggies.

Im an instant gratification kind of guy. I want garden food and I dont want to wait several years to reap rewards.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Hey Fishwhistle,is that a cobia in your avatar?Not trying to derail,just had to ask. ;)
No it is actually a white seabass,my favorite fish to hunt/fish and eat,they are super smart and very elusive so alot of folks do not go after them. The meat is so good you will throw halibut and bluefin right in the trash!That one is a 50 pounder,they average 20-40 and range up into the 80's and are not really a bass but are in the croaker family.

Last edited:
DismalDude

DismalDude

A work in progress.Guess where this is going?
IMG 20140424 173029 211

DismalDude

DismalDude

No it is actually a white seabass,my favorite fish to hunt/fish and eat,they are super smart and very elusive so alot of folks do not go after them. The meat is so good you will throw halibut and bluefin right in the trash!That one is a 50 pounder,they average 20-40 and range up into the 80's and are not really a bass but are in the croaker family.
I read up on that species.Awesome man,very cool.I haven't gone spear fishing in many years.Sounds exciting!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
THAT's what we should be doing with all our rocks! And here I've got a friend who lives out on Catalina Island and what does she do for a living? Paints rocks. No shit.

DismalDude

DismalDude

THAT's what we should be doing with all our rocks! And here I've got a friend who lives out on Catalina Island and what does she do for a living? Paints rocks. No shit.
That's awesome!I hope to get better with time.I gotta say it's relaxing. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom