24-48 Hours of dark before harvest ??

• Thread starter Bruno
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fishermannb94

Fishermannb94

The girls are ready two plus weeks of flushing is done .

Now I've heard that leaving in the dark 24 hours or 48 or more (as much as two weeks?)will improve potency or trichome production .

Any body got any ideas on this ?

I was thinking to keep them in the for 48 hours and then 12 hours of light again and 12 dark and harvest .
Just came on here asking the same question. And I have decided to do the same leave them in the dark (where I e been for most of my life) lol!!!
But on curing. After drying what's working for me is putting the finished product in an oven bag with some humidity packs they come in all sizes for different weights. I use the 58 o/o one. From the company called Boveda. Like I said its working perfectly for me

IMG 20200818 080538052
UrbnGardnr

UrbnGardnr

Much love for the fact checking, Mother! I got so tired of being misinformed myself that I'm going to college for this shit just to have my own references.

On chlorophyll breakdown-

Leaf Senescence: Correlated with Increased Levels of Membrane Permeability and Lipid Peroxidation, and Decreased Levels of Superoxide Dismutase and Catalase
by Rajinder S. Dhindsa, Pamela Plumb-Dhindsa and Trevor A. Thorpe

Department of Biology, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada

"The changes in membrane permeability (soluble leakage), lipid peroxidation, and activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase have been studied during in situ senescence of leaves of Nicotiana tabacum L., cv. Wisconsin 38. After full leaf expansion was reached there was a rapid, almost linear increase in the rate of 86Rb leakage from the preloaded leaf discs, with leaf age. Parallel with this increase in membrane permeability was a cumulative increase in the level of lipid peroxidation. At the same leaf age there were changes in the activities of SOD and catalase. SOD activity decreased on the basis of fresh weight but did not change when measured on the basis of protein content probably due to relative stability of SOD during the senescence-associated general decline in protein content. Catalase activity first increased parallel with the chlorophyll content of the leaf and then, after full leaf expansion, declined on the basis of both fresh weight and protein content. These changes in membrane permeability, lipid peroxidation, and the enzyme activities coincide in leaf age with the decline in protein and chlorophyll contents and in chlorophyll a: b ratio. When the senescence of the bottom-most leaves was reversed by removing the stem from immediately above them, the senescence-associated changes in protein and chlorophyll contents, lipid peroxidation, and the enzyme activities were also reversed. It is suggested that leaf senescence may be a consequence of cumulative membrane deterioration due to increasing level of lipid peroxidation probably controlled by, among other factors, the activities of SOD and catalase."

Just says that a drop in proteins (flushing) along with degradation of chlorophyll (light deprevation) triggers ripening and finishing processes in the plant. If resin production is one of these outcomes in cannabis is as of yet unproven.

On light deprivation to induce hermaphrodites-

The Role of Chlorophyll Fluorescence in The Detection of Stress Conditions in Plants
by Hartmut K. Lichtenthalera & Ursula Rinderlea

Just says that the same chemicals from above in large doses at the wrong time trigger stress induced abnormalities.

Not trying to be a smart ass. It just comes natural.
I know this post is ancient but I just wanted to point out that this paper does not support the conclusions anothersellout came to. This paper discusses cell senescence in older leaves and says nothing about how extended dark periods affect breakdown of chlorophyll.

dankbuddington

dankbuddington

The girls are ready two plus weeks of flushing is done .

Now I've heard that leaving in the dark 24 hours or 48 or more (as much as two weeks?)will improve potency or trichome production .

Any body got any ideas on this ?

I was thinking to keep them in the for 48 hours and then 12 hours of light again and 12 dark and harvest .
Correct

gramma_d

gramma_d

Great info, thanks! It’s my first grow so I’m doing a lot of research. I am growing Congo (sativa dominant) outdoors in north central Canada, she’s a handler so far with the temperature fluctuations but may have slowed it down? Built a greenhouse around her and if the sun is out fluctuates between 23-27 C while our outside temps are at 0 to -5C on a cloudy day struggles to stay at 17C with a heater. At night we cover with a tarp and it keeps temp at about 18C while it dips to -11C outside .. long story short she’s had some struggles but has grown to her full beastly size lol She has some smaller popcorn buds on the inner lower branches that are still covered in white hairs so I’m wondering after 48 hours darkness do I harvest the mature buds and let the rest continue to grow? If not what can I do with the rest of my baby buds? Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated :)
Regards

dankbuddington

dankbuddington

A guy actually did a test he sent it in to a lab off the same plant and the thc went up 2% leaving it 48 hours in darkness its on youtube

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

A guy actually did a test he sent it in to a lab off the same plant and the thc went up 2% leaving it 48 hours in darkness its on youtube

And the terpenes went down.

but a couple percent thc is hardly noticible in the real world while less terps vould be very noticable.

gramma_d

gramma_d

I did see the video, thanks! And I too noticed the terpines went down but I’m not really understanding how much of an impact that is, I understand THC percent though lol I am wondering if after the 48 hours do I harvest everything or just the mature buds, leaving the immature ones to finish?

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

When i was taught to grow a very long time ago i was told to leave plants in darkness for 48 to 72 hours before chopping, the theory is the plants will frost up more, after all this time i dont really know if true or not but old habits are hard to break.

edray2052

edray2052

If I'm going to try 48-72 hours in the dark, do I need to make sure the soil is reasonably dry before I put them in the dark? Or does it not matter?

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I like to time watering with harvest and have the last day before chop the day I would have fed if they weren't gettin chopped. Like my plants are on 7th day water schedule so If I was doin 48 hrs dark before chop I would shut lights off on day 5 after water then when the time for chopping comes I know they are pretty dry.

Godswrath

Godswrath

If I'm going to try 48-72 hours in the dark, do I need to make sure the soil is reasonably dry before I put them in the dark? Or does it not matter?

Read this thread from beginning to end specifically looking for the answer to this question lol. Thanks for asking it! It's perfect time as I'm going to be doing my first harvest very soon. I'll try 48 hours darkness before the chop. =D

Greenmachine1984

Greenmachine1984

just choped her down. i try to cut as far down as i xan but cant hang the whole plant because of the metal scrogView attachment 916360
To be fair we can all be like that ! For instance your set up compared to mine looks like dog shit and tiny ....And your bud does too but I ain't saying it on a post am I?Oh yea did Lol! also got ak47 from 1993 and I've got Jaffa caked cookies which is a recent strain running in the roomS and no difference in quality or hardness just terpenes. Rock hard nothing to do with bud or seeds or gens I could grow bag seed better Bag seeds outside then you do afiacando Indoor. Also not everyone can have outside air indoors as my room is .dialed in beyond belief. It's as if I have outside indoors airflow is everything .nothing in my growS will turn out airy I've grown strains back from 1970 to present in and out. So nar nar nar naaaaa! Yea don't shit on the guy or someone bigger smarter will come take dumps on you regularly...And his name is me! Tosser

Greenmachine1984

Greenmachine1984

that looks like shit
Also I don't think it looks like shit. Next time you have a dump, wipe your ass.look at the paper that's what shit looks like. Just giving you the heads up. Cause when I wipe my ass if I stare real hard at my shit .I see your bud hanging up ;)

Urkle79

Urkle79

I'm curious how more than one person has posted the info about the ACTUAL STUDY that was performed about this subject yet people still post that this process does nothing. Guess these are the same type of people whom believe Trump won the election

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm curious how more than one person has posted the info about the ACTUAL STUDY that was performed about this subject yet people still post that this process does nothing. Guess these are the same type of people whom believe Trump won the election

that study shows little benefit compared to loss of terpenes. And one isolated study means little. Too many variables.

the flushing study posted lately although I agree with it proves very little also all by itself.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Once there's enough THC to get me where i'm going it's all about how it smells and tastes; so i'll preserve terps at the cost of slightly less THC. Now if you water cure.....

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Once there's enough THC to get me where i'm going it's all about how it smells and tastes; so i'll preserve terps at the cost of slightly less THC. Now if you water cure.....
I see this as a very old thread but to add to this I just had 2 Gorilla twins. 1 plant I put in the dark for 60 hrs and the other I let sit under the light for the extra 2 days. The only visible difference was more dark tric's on the plant in the dark by double. I didn't do any thing else to differentiate between them and both are now are mixed together in the same jars and it all taste the same. lol

Papa.Tango

Papa.Tango

And the terpenes went down.

but a couple percent thc is hardly noticible in the real world while less terps vould be very noticable.
An interesting thread for sure, but things and understandings have changed a bit since 2011...😎

I am hopeful that with the legalization and commercialization of grow operations (large and small), that there will continue to be a solid flow of updated practice and maybe even a few academic studies on this.

What I can say though from an anecdotal perspective is that there is not that great a reduction of various terpenes using the dark harvest technique. And 2% or so increase in potency is trivial?

Please.

I remember clearly when in the 70s most weed was 4-5% coming from Columbia and Mexico--and was always getting less potent the longer it was in process to the end consumer. Shit, I remember rolling a $10USD OZ (all of it was that price) that was full of seeds (all weed was), carding it out, and rolling it in a Cheech & Chong "Big Bambu" paper. Hell of a night for me and my friends... 🤪

So the difference in my mind is that the difference between say a Super Sour Diesel at 22%, versus 24% is a great boon! After two yields--one without the dark, and one with--I can definitively say from my personal observation is that the outcome is better. Smoke less, be happier... 👍

Last edited:
J

Jacktheripper

I'm gonna try 72 hours of darkness and after that I'm going back to 14off 10 on oops going to flush first after the 72¡ Then go back to growing 2 well will see

Top Bottom