600w vs 1000w

• Thread starter Jellybean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jellybean

This plant was getting hit on one side with a 600w (left side) and the other side with a 1000w (right side). It's obvious just looking at the stems which side is bigger. And, the buds on the 1000w side are wayyyy bigger, much more dense. I'm picking up 2 more 1000w next week and will use the 600 in the veg tent.

:banana1sv6:

J

Jellybean

dimmable ballasts don't require a corresponding bulb to the wattage output. also they will only run th wattage their set at. ie even tho its a 1k ballast with it set at 400w its only pulling 400 watts. i know this cause i've tested it with an ammeter. which is a meter that measures amps. hooked the meter around the live and fiddled with the adjustments starting at 400 watts and increased incrementally and as i dialed up teh wattage teh amps corresponded. i just want to put this out there as im seeing soo much misinformation about dimmable ballasts. also ive read about spectrum changing wavelength. not true. the wavelength is determined by the bulb. the wattage determines how much power gets to the bulb. the bulb will still operate the same just not as bright as there is not the same amount of power reaching it.

curious what brand ballasts you ran the check on, more conflicting reports on if certain digi dimmable ballasts still pull the max setting and convert or actually pull the setting. its obvious electric costs are a major concern over here. lol

another thing im wondering if to save on overhead, perhaps only running the 1000w during the prime 4 weeks of flower while finishing and starting at say the 600w settings.....

J

Jellybean

every pro or expert or whatever u wana call em have always told me n swoar to everyone else too that 600w's are better than 1000w's? thats why i stocked up on them instead after first getin my 1000w, anyone wana expand on that?

my boy here says all the old Bolinas hippies say that.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I feel that each room, depending on room dimensions and configurations, are a case by case basis and a 600watter might be the best choice...There are many factors, a 1kw to cover a 4'x4' tray is half the cost of 2 600watters, but if one has 1 600watter already then it's the same cost for the upgrade. I have had many successful runs with high quality herbs under 600watt lights and they def have their place.
I can't say one is better than the other, only that the 1000watter is 400watts more than the 600. And that's a fact! LOL
I wish you the best regardless what type of upgrade you pursue!:winking0067:

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

curious what brand ballasts you ran the check on, more conflicting reports on if certain digi dimmable ballasts still pull the max setting and convert or actually pull the setting. its obvious electric costs are a major concern over here. lol

another thing im wondering if to save on overhead, perhaps only running the 1000w during the prime 4 weeks of flower while finishing and starting at say the 600w settings.....

solis tek

n yea i know some people that run their dimmables in that manner.

C

critical

my boy here says all the old Bolinas hippies say that.

lol joker, well i thought hippies know the best weed n how to grow the best too huh? i mean, what about my cheech n chong films man?!?!? lol am i guna have to throw out my oldschool vids n views

J

Jellybean

I feel that each room, depending on room dimensions and configurations, are a case by case basis and a 600watter might be the best choice...There are many factors, a 1kw to cover a 4'x4' tray is half the cost of 2 600watters, but if one has 1 600watter already then it's the same cost for the upgrade. I have had many successful runs with high quality herbs under 600watt lights and they def have their place.
I can't say one is better than the other, only that the 1000watter is 400watts more than the 600. And that's a fact! LOL
I wish you the best regardless what type of upgrade you pursue!:winking0067:

thx baba g! def agree the quality of herbs depend on many factors besides light, below is our keeper pheno of deadhead which i grew under a 600 which produced buds that shitted on my buddies who grew the same cuts under a 1000 in a 6K sealed enviro. even he admitted it. lol

as far as the course of action, i think instead of jumping in head first and trading in my 600s, im gonna keep them and go ahead and buy two 1000s to start and run em side by side, see which bed produces more. all the input on this thread def helped me make this decision. thanks!

J

Jellybean

lol joker, well i thought hippies know the best weed n how to grow the best too huh? i mean, what about my cheech n chong films man?!?!? lol am i guna have to throw out my oldschool vids n views

hahahaha. theyre all concerned about their carbon footprint bro. still dudes like jorge cervantes must have some sort of point, i know he pushes 600s over 1000s hard. i actually followed his advice and lowered my 600 within a couple inches of my canopy to make up for the lumens....seemed to work. :dance

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

as far as the course of action, i think instead of jumping in head first and trading in my 600s, im gonna keep them and go ahead and buy two 1000s to start and run em side by side, see which bed produces the more. all the input on this thread def helped me make this decision. thanks!

i'll tell ya right now. the two 1k bed will do better. wana bet? lol

..you could get 2 1k's and add that to what your already running. 1 600? which would give you 2600 watts and 3 4x4 growing areas?

OR get 4 600's (2400 watts) and have 4 4x4 growing areas.

theres a correlation between the wattage used and the footprint you get..

J

Jellybean

i'll tell ya right now. the two 1k bed will do better. wana bet? lol

..you could get 2 1k's and add that to what your already running. 1 600? which would give you 2600 watts and 3 4x4 growing areas?

OR get 4 600's (2400 watts) and have 4 4x4 growing areas.

theres a correlation between the wattage used and the footprint you get..

no bet. no thx. lol.

i got two 600s - and i already have four beds built. so....got to fill in those last two spots on the roster.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

yea if you ain't worried about your hydro usage i'd run 1k's all day.

it all comes down to how much hydro you feel comfortable pullin.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

yea. like if you not worried about how much electrical usage ur gona use...... i'd love to light my place up with 20 1k's but i think the hydro compnay would catch on, who would probably notify LEO....

its why i didn't just by more 1k's and switched to 6's.

J

Jellybean

yea. like if you not worried about how much electrical usage ur gona use......

oh yeah thats a big time concern, reason i started this thread. wifey be tripping and we still got an in law living here that insists on running a fucking space heater 24/7 (those little bastards pull the same amount of power as a 1K bulb) lol. :sign0055:

C

critical

hahahaha. theyre all concerned about their carbon footprint bro. still dudes like jorge cervantes must have some sort of point, i know he pushes 600s over 1000s hard. i actually followed his advice and lowered my 600 within a couple inches of my canopy to make up for the lumens....seemed to work. :dance

haha yea he for sure has some good advice, n arnt u concerned about your footprint? well your power usage to be exact, i thought that more watts means more electric being burned? then again a 1000 is nearly the equivilent of 2 600w's just with less spread but, would it be a benifit on less power usage as as the 1000 only has 1 instead of 2 ballests like the equivilent 2 600w's? or would the 2 600's be more efficient? am i right thinking i heard somewere that 600s are more efficent than 1000s plus dont create as much heat?

C

critical

in your case with your bed sizes jilly bean, id the say the most efficient thing you could do is grow 6 in each bed under 600w a bed, in a tent that size (4x4/1.2) its what would be done, or a (5x5)1.5 meter tent with a 1000w so it would prob be most cost effective and suitible for your grow, just my opinion tho go with your gut m8

p.s i usualy do 5 pretty big girls under each 600w with very nice results and upted it to 7 slightly smaller girls recently as they seemed to be getin slightly to much light at the previous ratio but now the sides arnt developing as nice so i think 6 average size girls under a 600 is the golden numbers for you

J

Jellybean

haha yea he for sure has some good advice, n arnt u concerned about your footprint? well your power usage to be exact, i thought that more watts means more electric being burned? then again a 1000 is nearly the equivilent of 2 600w's just with less spread but, would it be a benifit on less power usage as as the 1000 only has 1 instead of 2 ballests like the equivilent 2 600w's? or would the 2 600's be more efficient? am i right thinking i heard somewere that 600s are more efficent than 1000s plus dont create as much heat?

some good points and questions there. i pack em in pretty tight, so i dont need a huge light footprint. heat is also not a factor since we dont see many hot nights here, it was actually a struggle on my last run to keep night temps above 59F

C

critical

some good points and questions there. i pack em in pretty tight, so i dont need a huge light footprint. heat is also not a factor since we dont see many hot nights here, it was actually a struggle on my last run to keep night temps above 59F

o ok kool, i was just thinkin along with cost, that u might be concerned bout your place glowing away if the copters come over with heat cams, but u prob have it well insulated anyway right? also the tighter u cram em the less efficient the light will be at getin to all parts of all plants so the tighter u cram the more scraglly popcorn bud u will have on the lower parts of your plants, just a thought for u to think about m8

J

Jellybean

o ok kool, i was just thinkin along with cost, that u might be concerned bout your place glowing away if the copters come over with heat cams, but u prob have it well insulated anyway right? also the tighter u cram em the less efficient the light will be at getin to all parts of all plants so the tighter u cram the more scraglly popcorn bud u will have on the lower parts of your plants, just a thought for u to think about m8

Nah I ain't tripping of helocopters I'm in California prop 215 compliant even got two patients under me. Lol. As far as popcorn bud in my SOG like mentioned earlier I lollipop the shit, no undergrowth out of my plants strictly colas. :cool0019:

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

dimmable ballasts don't require a corresponding bulb to the wattage output. also they will only run th wattage their set at. ie even tho its a 1k ballast with it set at 400w its only pulling 400 watts. i know this cause i've tested it with an ammeter. which is a meter that measures amps. hooked the meter around the live and fiddled with the adjustments starting at 400 watts and increased incrementally and as i dialed up teh wattage teh amps corresponded. i just want to put this out there as im seeing soo much misinformation about dimmable ballasts. also ive read about spectrum changing wavelength. not true. the wavelength is determined by the bulb. the wattage determines how much power gets to the bulb. the bulb will still operate the same just not as bright as there is not the same amount of power reaching it.

that aside...

Im not sure about burnig the 1000 on the 400 setting tyler,im not sure anyone knows how they are designed to be used but here is a blurb directly from solis teks website on their 1000w dimmable ballast:

-4 step dimming: SolisBoost - 1000W - 600W - 400W.
-Metal Halide (MH) & High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Lamps
-2 power cords included
-Soft Start Technology
-Powers 1000w, 600w, 400w lamps.
-Constant Power Factor 99.9%
- 8.92 AMPS @ 120v / 4.46 AMPS @ 240v

since your only running a 4x4 area and 1 light, moving up to a 1k is definitely what you should do. conversely tho. 2 600's would double your light footprint and only for an extra 200 watts.

i just went from a 8x10 room with 3 1k's to the same 8x10 room with the 4 6's and then a 5x 10 room with another 2 600's. im so confident my yield will increase i'd bet the farm, as tehy say.

Im not sure about burning the 1000 on the 400 setting tyler,im not sure anyone knows how they are designed to be used but here is a blurb directly from solis teks website on their 1000w dimmable ballast:

-4 step dimming: SolisBoost - 1000W - 600W - 400W.
-Metal Halide (MH) & High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Lamps
-2 power cords included
-Soft Start Technology
-Powers 1000w, 600w, 400w lamps.
-Constant Power Factor 99.9%
- 8.92 AMPS @ 120v / 4.46 AMPS @ 240v

There seems to be alot of confusion on this matter.

Top Bottom