600w vs 1000w

• Thread starter Jellybean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ocwhiteboyoc

ocwhiteboyoc

I have run both and there is absolutely no argument here... 1k watters all day. The yield is much, much greater with 1k's. I run all air cooled now and my tops can grow against the glass on my hoods with no problems except for some bleaching. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON 6's, PLEASE!!

you are correct on the rooms and equipment. I use the chhc-4 to control each room. On the smaller one, I have it set to use the a/c for cooling and dehumidifying, whereas the bigger room has the a/c and dehumidifying controlled separately. not ideal for the smaller room, but compromises have to be made at times. also, the controller handles my co2 generators. it is convenient, although I think I'll build a simple high temp shut-off for my lights in case the a/c or controller fails.

I can see you'd like to maximize your space, but I think you might be asking too much of it. If the room is a pain to maneuver in or it is a process to move your trays, you'll end up spending less time in there. are you hand watering or will this be a hydro setup? what about trellising? even though you can move your trays, you can't move your lights which means you will have issues negotiating around those and that means running into them at times.

why not 3x3 tables with a single 600 per table?

also, have you talked to others growing the strains you will use? that might determine the style you'd use too.

glad to help :)

I have run both and there is absolutely no argument here... 1k watters all day. The yield is much, much greater with 1k's. I run all air cooled now and my tops can grow against the glass on my hoods with no problems except for some bleaching. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON 6's, PLEASE!!

what kind of hoods are you using?

I do think with the big drop in digital ballasts that 1000's are a great way to go. with how I grow most of my strains, I don't need that much light intensity far into the canopy, so 6's work well for me.

CannabisMan

CannabisMan

I when they are in quart containers I used a air cooled 400 mh and then before I sex then will go into one gallon pots and about 6-8 inches apart and then I vege them a little more and then before bloom I transplant them into a 3 gallon pots, clean up the grow room area and go from 400 mh to 600 High Pressure Sodium to bloom with about total grow period about 5 months

wow, that sounds like a lot of work. do you not have the ability to have a separate veg room?

420alldaze

420alldaze

whats up all? 600s all day, closer to the plants less electric, and i get fat dense nugs everytime. 42o

I'd agree with you 420. I have just never heard someone running 1000's so close to the plants the buds are hitting the glass. I would think the plants would get crazy bleached as the light intensity is just too much for a plant to handle.

I'll know for myself in a couple months if 1000's are a better route or not in some situations. I could see the benefits of a 2 1000's over my table versus 3 6's.

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

you are correct on the rooms and equipment. I use the chhc-4 to control each room. On the smaller one, I have it set to use the a/c for cooling and dehumidifying, whereas the bigger room has the a/c and dehumidifying controlled separately. not ideal for the smaller room, but compromises have to be made at times. also, the controller handles my co2 generators. it is convenient, although I think I'll build a simple high temp shut-off for my lights in case the a/c or controller fail

I can see you'd like to maximize your space, but I think you might be asking too much of it. If the room is a pain to maneuver in or it is a process to move your trays, you'll end up spending less time in there. are you hand watering or will this be a hydro setup? what about trellising? even though you can move your trays, you can't move your lights which means you will have issues negotiating around those and that means running into them at times.

why not 3x3 tables with a single 600 per table?

also, have you talked to others growing the strains you will use? that might determine the style you'd use too.

glad to help :)

So you have 12k window banger cooling your larger room? What do you have in mind for the high temp shut-off? Sounds very pro-active...I dig it!

***********************************************************************************************

A friend is trying to convince to to run a coco NFT system and I'm not opposed to it...but I'm leaning more toward soil, therefore, I would be hand watering.

Yes, there will be trellis netting attached to post on each corner of the bed.

**********************************************************************************************

I have just decided to build 3x3 beds as opposed to 4x4...funny you should mention!;)

*********************************************************************************************

Strains I have access to are as follows:

-Sour Diesel
-Super Silver Haze
-Island Punch
-Cheese
-White widow
-Sour Cheese
-Chemdog's Sister
-plus a hand full of other strains...

***************************************************************************************************

Bless up...Sol

yeah, the 12k works fine but does heat my basement up along with the other unit.. I'll probably upgrade to a 17-18btu mini and use a wired thermostat that is programmable.

I haven't exactly decided how I'll do the high temp shut-off, but using something like this:

It would be in the normally closed position and when temps hit a certain point, it would trigger a contactor that would break the power connection to the lights but require me to manually reset the system. that way it wouldn't keep cycling on and off.

NFT? don't see people run that too often. it seems to work better for smaller crops like lettuces and what not. I'm giving a try to drip going drain to waste and using rockwool blocks. 4's that go on 6's. roots look out of control!
I ran soil this last crop and had to deal with thrips and mites. never had them till I started using soil... ugh.

so basically each table will be self contained? that is how i did it when i was doing ebb and flow. made it easier when running multiple strains in the same room.

I found running co2 at no more than 1000ppm was easier to deal with versus the norm of 1500

your strains look solid!

420alldaze

420alldaze

whats up 1971? iks are great in certain situations . most def. but the + outweigh the - with the twin 600s im rockin. and you said mites? uuuuuggghhh!!!! i have nightmares about those lil fuckers. 42o

ah, didn't realize you were running twin 6's.

yeah, the FF soil I used introduced the bugs :( luckily mites are gone but the thrips are a pain to get rid of :(

209 Closet grower

209 Closet grower

I have a 1000w hps, and love it, but thinking of running 2 600w in the same space soon

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

yeah, the 12k works fine but does heat my basement up along with the other unit.. I'll probably upgrade to a 17-18btu mini and use a wired thermostat that is programmable.

I haven't exactly decided how I'll do the high temp shut-off, but using something like this:

It would be in the normally closed position and when temps hit a certain point, it would trigger a contactor that would break the power connection to the lights but require me to manually reset the system. that way it wouldn't keep cycling on and off.

NFT? don't see people run that too often. it seems to work better for smaller crops like lettuces and what not. I'm giving a try to drip going drain to waste and using rockwool blocks. 4's that go on 6's. roots look out of control!
I ran soil this last crop and had to deal with thrips and mites. never had them till I started using soil... ugh.

so basically each table will be self contained? that is how i did it when i was doing ebb and flow. made it easier when running multiple strains in the same room.

I found running co2 at no more than 1000ppm was easier to deal with versus the norm of 1500

your strains look solid!

Curious to know how you exhaust your window banger?
*******************************************************************************************************

Tis true, not very many people run with NFT, but said friend, is doing quite well to say the least!

******************************************************************************************************

What system of growing are you running now? E&F?

******************************************************************************************************

What is your schedule for Co2 through the entire grow?
For instance: 600-800 ppm during veg, week 1 of flower 800, week 2 900, week 3,4,5,6,7,8 1000 etc...?

*****************************************************************************************************

Yup, everything will be its own entity...self contained...on 3x3 tables.

Thanks bredren...I am more than grateful to have access to quality well taken care of genetics!

*****************************************************************************************************

I felt this thread I am linking was relevant to the dialogue of this one here, check it out when you have some time fellas!

Bless...Sol

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/watts-lumens-per-square-foot.4448/

I don't exhaust it. my basement is about 1900 sq ft. it does heat it up, which is a pain in the summer, which is why I'll go to a mini-split. I might even oversize it enough to try not air cooling for some tables.

that is awesome he has had good luck with it. It just happens to be one of those higher maintenance routes. I did ebb and flow with growrocks in pots, but now am going drip that drains to waste grown in 4" blocks dropped on 6" blocks. I'll be running my nutes on the lighter side... maybe 700ppm. A guy named spurr on another forum made some good arguments for not running high co2. no higher than 1000ppm. it also saves on heat and humidity since I'm using a generator.

since you have the space, you might want to try a few different styles to see what really works. So much is based on opinion and peoples word... on the internet. I do remember running original trainwreck and getting about 2.5lbs off 3 430w hps over 3 3x3 tables.

you should post a link to your grow so we can follow you!

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

Holy moly, 1971! your basement HUGE!:eek:

I think I will start a journal once I get things off and poppin...I just recently finished the Veg room so I'm a just now rounding 2nd base hoping to hit 3rd here shortly and slide my way into home base!

Bless...Sol

it is good sized, but i have a pool table down there and lots of other crap :( would love to have a much larger room for each, it just didn't work out :(

Rajajaja

Rajajaja

I had 4- 600w and 4000 w digi's I love them both but I gotta say the 1000s made bigger buds and I got to say 1000w make bigger buds .. but i did need to air cool hoods on the 1000's.

420alldaze

420alldaze

ah, didn't realize you were running twin 6's.

yeah, the FF soil I used introduced the bugs :( luckily mites are gone but the thrips are a pain to get rid of :(
hey bro, yeah i got an old school 600 watt ballast and a new dimmable 600. so its easy to adjust for different plant sizes etc.i run roots and have been fightin' the mites for 6 mos. now even with constant cleaning and tlc. never had thrips. sounds like the shit nightmares are made of. lol 42o

420alldaze

420alldaze

I had 4- 600w and 4000 w digi's I love them both but I gotta say the 1000s made bigger buds and I got to say 1000w make bigger buds .. but i did need to air cool hoods on the 1000's.
yeah did a year run in basement with 600s and never needed ac. perfect temps all the time. no need for the extra work, ya know? 42o

Latest posts

Top Bottom