600w vs 1000w

• Thread starter Jellybean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sica

Sica

i don't mention the heat issue as to simply get the lights closer, i say it about total lights (watts) in a room without increasing its mean temperature higher than you can get rid of. If i ran all thousands, then i could use maybe 2-3 in my old room. If i use all 600's i was able to run up to 4800 and it was evenly distributed. I suspect the same would be with 400's, however their light penetration ability is less than of a 600 (or a 1000). The main problem with the 1000's is having only 3 sources of light, limits the angles from properly penetrating all the branches

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
If you could have a 6'' inch dick or a 10'' dick which one would you choose?
Ok now if you got paid by the inch which one?
You can always just put just 6'' of the 10'' inch in but its kinda hard to put the 6'' in 10 inches.;)
Give her 6" twice for THE BIG 12!

AustinHaze

AustinHaze

The only difference is the height of your room at this point. A 1000w light has 4 feet canopy penetration, as a 600w has 3 feet of canopy penetration. With this said, indicas generally double in height, where as sativas are know to tripple in height in flowering. Knowing this, how tall can we grow? Ideally getting a plant to 16'' to 18'' for a 600w light as we know our plant will finish about 3' tall wasting no canopy penetration space/time vegging. And the same goes 20'' to 24'' for a 1000w, again as we know our plant will double in height making a 4' plant. Plants any taller than a lights canopy penetration is lost time and money. A 1000W light generally covers a 4' x 6' space where as a 600w covers a 3' by 5'. It comes to room size and utilization of light. Not how many watts to put into one space. Hope that helped some folks

shaker1

shaker1

The only difference is the height of your room at this point. A 1000w light has 4 feet canopy penetration, as a 600w has 3 feet of canopy penetration. With this said, indicas generally double in height, where as sativas are know to tripple in height in flowering. Knowing this, how tall can we grow? Ideally getting a plant to 16'' to 18'' for a 600w light as we know our plant will finish about 3' tall wasting no canopy penetration space/time vegging. And the same goes 20'' to 24'' for a 1000w, again as we know our plant will double in height making a 4' plant. Plants any taller than a lights canopy penetration is lost time and money. A 1000W light generally covers a 4' x 6' space where as a 600w covers a 3' by 5'. It comes to room size and utilization of light. Not how many watts to put into one space. Hope that helped some folks
I'm upgrading to a gavita 1000pro.(from a 400w luma. lol...) You say it should penetrate 4'. At what height from the canopy should I have the light to accomplish this? Does a 600/ 1000 watt light really "need" to be as close as possible? The video on them says 3' gives the best spread but, according to what I read, that's a bit far away...? Another question I'm curious about is, does the higher par light make up for distance from the canopy? I always fim and train to under 2 feet but want to grow full size the next round just for fun.

AustinHaze

AustinHaze

The rule of thumb I tell people is 16'' for 600w and 24'' for 1000w. Yet I have had my 1ks as close as two inches from my canopy with proper air cooling oviously, this only came to bite me in the ass after week 4 or heavy pistol developement. I would still still do 24'' peticularly with a gavita as it doesnt have the air cooling option. Those are badass lights though, let me know how they work for you. Yes the 4' canopy penetration is the samewith a 2'' space from hood to canopy.

B

Badmf

Jay I am not getting into a pi$$n contest over what you believe, but simply check the lumen per watt ouputs on 1k's and 400's you compare to 6's and 6's put out more, but you'd know that since you're a "real" pro, lol.

P

paulycali

1000w's all the way. No doubt about it

I play the gram per watt game. As most my strains get a ounce per gallon of soil used

With that said when i use a 400 watt light overhead i can achieve roughly 400 grams no matter what style of growing. From sea of green to growing trees. For 600 watt i would achieve roughly 600 grams and using a 1000w i would get roughly 1000 grams

Simple as that. Do the math. Look over the lumens and scientific mumbo jumbo and you will see just like the sun outdoors that the brighter the light/lumens the higher yield. There's really no need to argue about this.

I think your mostly worried about electrical costs. Once your up and running electricity costs ain't shit. Toss the 600w's aside and screw in those badass 1000w bulbs and grow away. The only way to grow :)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Wud up ya'll farmers, great thread so far, now its my turn ;) When it comes to yield, 1 1000w will outperform 1 600w hands down, as long as all other factors are the same, i.e., strain, # of plants, training technique, media & bucket size, veg time, bloom time, ballast, bulb, reflector, temps, RH, nutrients, co2 sealed room or ventilation. I wrote that list off the top of my head so there might be a couple other factors. Now I'm gonna show ya'll a couple scenarios, here they are...

1) A 600w light kit with the highest quality products i.e., adjust-a-wing reflector w/super spreader, Lumatek ballast (or another high quality ballast), EYE Hortilux bulb, 9 sq.ft.-16 sq.ft. grow tent (for maximum reflectivity). Also included in this setup would be a high qualiy carbon filter/fan combo and every other high quality part to give this setup the best yeld possible.

2) A 1000w light kit with low quality products i.e., bat wing reflector, 'no name brand' ballast, plantmax (or any cheap and/or 'no name brand' bulb), 16 sq.ft.-24 sq.ft grow tent. This setup also includes the fan/filter combo and all other items used as in the 1st scenario, except these items in the 2nd scenario are of inferior quality, life expendency, output and efficiency.

Like I stated above, both scenarios are equal on terms of strain, plant #, medium, training technique and environment. The only difference is the 600w setup has superior equipment (hardwear) and the 1000w has inferior equipment.

The point of this is to tell ya'll that a 600w will outperform a 1000w, but only under the majority of the circamstances stated above.

Bottom line, a 1000w is better then a 600w under most circumstances, it mainly depends on your equipment and environment.

P.S. Thats just my opinion :cool:

Racker

Racker

When you have 2 growrooms, both 10000watts. One with 600 and one with 1000watt lamps. Than the 600 will be more efficient.

One exeption> philips double ended 1000watt EL bulb.

Remember that lummens are for humans and par is for plants.

symbiote420

symbiote420

1k has more PAR and lumens than a 600, makes me and my plants happy! As far as bulbs go, I never had anyone who's smoked my buds ask if they were grown under a Plantmax or a Hortilux bulb .....to be honest I don't see myself spending that much more for a bulb unless it's adding something significant to the grow like a higher yield or more potency! Jorge and the Europeans have passed this BS on long enough .....the big move towards 600's in my eyes is a marketing ploy! 600 watters cost more than 1k, ask me if I owned a business which one I'd want to sell more of? peace!

shaker1

shaker1

The rule of thumb I tell people is 16'' for 600w and 24'' for 1000w. Yet I have had my 1ks as close as two inches from my canopy with proper air cooling oviously, this only came to bite me in the ass after week 4 or heavy pistol developement. I would still still do 24'' peticularly with a gavita as it doesnt have the air cooling option. Those are badass lights though, let me know how they work for you. Yes the 4' canopy penetration is the samewith a 2'' space from hood to canopy.

......I've been running the new light for a few weeks now and am able, at full power (1150), to have it at just under 2 feet, temps under 85 (as long as outside temps are below 70*). But I keep it on 750 mostly for now. No air cooling, just ALOT of ventilation, lol. Got holes in the wall to bring in the nice coool winter air. And I love how the attached ballast doesn't get hot, just warm to the touch. Highly recommended!

symbiote420

symbiote420

Yep, but not more/watt.

LOL, it's still more! Most of the peeps citing that 600's are better never used a 1k, I've grew buds under regular house bulbs, both t12 and t8 shoplites, cfls, 400, 600, and now 1k .....if I knew then what I know now, I used too listen to guys like Cervantes and Danko, they're good for picking up some basics, but there's plenty of guys around the farm willing to help that are far more informative than both of them!

When I ran 600's my yields averaged 6 - 10 oz. after switching to 1k they've doubled .....I never got a lb. under 6's, and my bill has only showed a $30/mo. increase! How's that for efficiency?!!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

1k has more PAR and lumens than a 600, makes me and my plants happy! As far as bulbs go, I never had anyone who's smoked my buds ask if they were grown under a Plantmax or a Hortilux bulb .....to be honest I don't see myself spending that much more for a bulb unless it's adding something significant to the grow like a higher yield or more potency! Jorge and the Europeans have passed this BS on long enough .....the big move towards 600's in my eyes is a marketing ploy! 600 watters cost more than 1k, ask me if I owned a business which one I'd want to sell more of? peace!

I agree with you, the companies name on equipment has very little to do with yield, I don't remember posting that and when I re-read it I don't even agree with some of what I said so I must of been drunk that night lol.

Now 600's have more lumens per watt so they slightly win in the category of efficiency. The thing is 1k's will still outperform 600's on a sq.ft. basis and IMO thats more important then saving 30 dollars a month, thats only 1.5 grams worth of bud and 400 more watts will definately yield more then that per month.

Haggardass

Haggardass

this is gona b like a ford vs chevy thing. your gona get people comin in n saying whatever they use is best etc.

there is a TON of info on that issue. I'd recommend hittin the search bar.

that aside. i just switched from 1k's for 6's. i think it depends on the type of growing you do. if you grow big tree/bush style than 1k's but if your running SOG or SCROG than the 600's are the way to go.

honestly tho hit the search engine and you'll find a ton of info on this topic.
HA im more of a jeep person lol, ya you should do a little research and see for yourself im fixing to build a space and im going with 1000s.

T

THegrowshow

oh yeah thats a big time concern, reason i started this thread. wifey be tripping and we still got an in law living here that insists on running a fucking space heater 24/7 (those little bastards pull the same amount of power as a 1K bulb) lol. :sign0055:
thats some bullshit bro the in laws would be sleeping this old asses in my growroom lol damn that that's an extra 1000 watter hell thats 1 llb a month you missing out on lol

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

thats some bullshit bro the in laws would be sleeping this old asses in my growroom lol damn that that's an extra 1000 watter hell thats 1 llb a month you missing out on lol

I don't think he meant there taking up space in his growroom, because if he had space for an extra 1k light in his grow space I don't see why he wouldn't put one in. So he probably ain't losing anything except a few extra dollars for his electric bill, but I don't understand why he needs to run it 24/7. Those space heaters put out mad heat so if they run non-stop he'll have a super over-heated bedroom with dry ass air. Your suppose to alternate them on-off every few hours, but maybe he lives in Alaska :confused:????

Latest posts

Top Bottom