600w vs 1000w

• Thread starter Jellybean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
skywalkerOG

skywalkerOG

I started off with 600s. They are powerful enough to learn the ropes, and still produce amazing product. The whole time my mentor has used 1000 and just told me to be patient that eventually I'll want to upgrade when I got the basics down after a few years.

Few years have passed and it's now time for the upgrade. I've watched him grow the same plant as me, same conditions, same nutes, just 1000W v 600W. His colas are larger, denser, but what I find important! There is never any popcorn. Plants are able to stack top to bottom and the bottom buds are excellent.

Might add he only uses 750W most of the grow. Only cranks it up to 1000W for a few hours each day, or during the swell weeks.

So when time and conditions allow I'll be making the upgrade.

hey bro, yeah i got an old school 600 watt ballast and a new dimmable 600. so its easy to adjust for different plant sizes etc.i run roots and have been fightin' the mites for 6 mos. now even with constant cleaning and tlc. never had thrips. sounds like the shit nightmares are made of. lol 42o

I've used a combo of avid and floramite sc along with IPM. That controlled everything nicely. I thought the beneficial predators would finish the job, but I was suppose to order again to keep the thrips beat down. no mites though!

ocwhiteboyoc

ocwhiteboyoc

what kind of hoods are you using?

I do think with the big drop in digital ballasts that 1000's are a great way to go. with how I grow most of my strains, I don't need that much light intensity far into the canopy, so 6's work well for me.

I have some rooms running Lumenaire 8's, some running Growlite OG hoods. I'm switching all of my rooms to the OG's as they crop out. The OG hood with a 600 watter will out-produce any other hood with a 1000 watter in it though.

ocwhiteboyoc

ocwhiteboyoc

I'd agree with you 420. I have just never heard someone running 1000's so close to the plants the buds are hitting the glass. I would think the plants would get crazy bleached as the light intensity is just too much for a plant to handle.

I'll know for myself in a couple months if 1000's are a better route or not in some situations. I could see the benefits of a 2 1000's over my table versus 3 6's.

Only two of my strains grow up to the glass. I do get bleaching on the very very top of the cola but the increase in yield being that close to the light offsets the bleach-loss ten fold.

joehank

joehank

This plant was getting hit on one side with a 600w (left side) and the other side with a 1000w (right side). It's obvious just looking at the stems which side is bigger. And, the buds on the 1000w side are wayyyy bigger, much more dense. I'm picking up 2 more 1000w next week and will use the 600 in the veg tent.
That pic, looks like the Stinkbud System, my intro to hydro. Good stuff..

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

If you could have a 6'' inch dick or a 10'' dick which one would you choose?
Ok now if you got paid by the inch which one?
You can always just put just 6'' of the 10'' inch in but its kinda hard to put the 6'' in 10 inches.;)

symbiote420

symbiote420

I can't believe this is still up for debate......seriously!LOL
How many peeps do any of you know that switched to 6's after using 1's......I'll wait! I really don't think ya will unless the electric bill is too high or they can't handle the heat. I know less can be more sometimes but this is not a case for that! I guess next peeps will be saying you get better yields from flos than HIDs too! I've been growing under 1k for 8 months now and my yields are smashing what I used to pull off the 6, I never got 20 oz off (7) plants under 600 watts!! I have under my 1k!! I'll say this in closing, 600's are a good base system to start up with but if ya wanna ever get serious about your yields ya better upgrade.....
Upgrade - to replace ( a hardware device) with one that provides better performance; to raise to a higher grade or standard; an upward incline.

It's not considered an upgrade moving from 1k to 600s...that's a downgrade! Right?

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
yeah did a year run in basement with 600s and never needed ac. perfect temps all the time. no need for the extra work, ya know? 42o
I've ran both with great success,both have their pros and cons.I run multiple 600s with little variation in temps,no ac,with half the probs.genetics does come into play with the lack of penetration if you are lacking on lights.luckily I can lay my lights right on top of the canopy and gain penetration without losing any light signature.

J

jaybudding

Yeah I think its more of a preference thing because you can definantly get the 600s closer.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

im going bigger in the coming months, seriously upgrading number of lights. after pricing everything out, bulbs, ballasts, and then the actual electric bill, im wondering if 1Ks are really worth it, will the return justify the cost? is there really that much of a difference between a 1k yield and 6oo yield? if i run the 600s side by side, i guess there would be regions of light overlap where certain plants would receive 1200w of light....

i really dont know, any help would be appreciated, advice from more experienced heads would be great.

I read in multiple books from growers that 2 600s is more than 1000, Besides the obvious fact that its two hundred more watts, but the light is evenly distributated 'all around the canopy'. Increasing the yeild on your plants. Hope this helps.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I read in multiple books from growers that 2 600s is more than 1000, Besides the obvious fact that its two hundred more watts, but the light is evenly distributated 'all around the canopy'. Increasing the yeild on your plants. Hope this helps.

Why not a 1k on a lightrail? the (2) 600's will have a wider footprint over a stationery 1k but that's a little deceiving due to the fact that the lumens can't increase just the footprint, so putting the 1k on a track increases it's footprint @ 140,000 lumens vs the 90,000 lumens you have no matter how many 600s you add. I have an a/c 6" XXXL Magnum on a light rail, with the a/c and the light moving there's no hot spots and my lights are 12" over my girls and I probably could get it closer but I don't want the lights to bleach them.

Purpstickipunch

Purpstickipunch

Why not a 1k on a lightrail? the (2) 600's will have a wider footprint over a stationery 1k but that's a little deceiving due to the fact that the lumens can't increase just the footprint, so putting the 1k on a track increases it's footprint @ 140,000 lumens vs the 90,000 lumens you have no matter how many 600s you add. I have an a/c 6" XXXL Magnum on a light rail, with the a/c and the light moving there's no hot spots and my lights are 12" over my girls and I probably could get it closer but I don't want the lights to bleach them.

Im not saying that a few more lights wouldn't be benificial to the plants, or a 1000w won't live up to its standards This is all on the perspective/opinion of two well known stonies. And basically long story short two lights are better than one. :)

symbiote420

symbiote420

My homies thought that as well, I grow 100% organically with the 1k moving in an area 5'x8', We were the 600 club, till I got the 1k in November, now the switch is being made one at a time! 3 of my homies are growing under (2) 600's and my old head bro is growing under about (8 to 10) 600s at any given time, he's the only one that out yields me but that's because he has way more room. I of my bros with the 2 lights uses ANs Connie line and another uses Canna, my yields, size of buds, density, potency, all the things that matter come harvest are just better, Not knocking 600s at all I grew under them for years and loved the results, but in these last months with the 1k I can say the proof is in the pudding! which I'm getting way more of nowadays! But one thing I will end on is even if it's flos or whatever let's get growing, good karma to all and Happy Father's Day!

shaker1

shaker1

Yeah I think its more of a preference thing because you can definantly get the 600s closer.
I've read this statement a few times now about how a 600 is "better" than a 1000 because you can get it closer...?? If that's the case why won't my 400 produce better than a 600?? I too am looking to upgrade this next run and just want to share with you what I found. Going to be a Gavita 1000proEL DE. It's what the REAL pro's use. Good luck.

symbiote420

symbiote420

I've read this statement a few times now about how a 600 is "better" than a 1000 because you can get it closer...?? If that's the case why won't my 400 produce better than a 600?? I too am looking to upgrade this next run and just want to share with you what I found. Going to be a Gavita 1000proEL DE. It's what the REAL pro's use. Good luck.

Hey you can get LED and T5 even closer LOL

Sica

Sica

personally i think its more about heat. 1k lights put out a lot more, that's why i use just one in my veg room, it helps me get to 26 deg celsius. I use 600's in my flower room because i want even coverage and more wattage.

B

Badmf

I have used both and the heat from 1k's is extreme, I have stadium grows mainly and bare bulbs 1 k's didn't increase yeilds as much as hoped but 6's dropped in real close did more for resin production. doing a huge uc set up and haven't decided on which yet.

J

jaybudding

shaker1 said:
I've read this statement a few times now about how a 600 is "better" than a 1000 because you can get it closer...?? If that's the case why won't my 400 produce better than a 600?? I too am looking to upgrade this next run and just want to share with you what I found. Going to be a Gavita 1000proEL DE. It's what the REAL pro's use. Good luck.​
Nobody said you could only have one fixture I can get two 600w closer with less heat. Of course more is better as long as you control the heat.​

Top Bottom