Amekins’ Fantastical Faerie Garden Grow Diary

• Thread starter amekins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
amekins

amekins

Yea, I got a feeling your going to have some weird thick scarring in that area anyhow, cause the flesh seems to be so thin in that region. Keep those steristrips on as long as you can. Don't poke for God's sake, if you insist use something soft, like a wood cue tip. I bet the itching is pretty bad.

One thing you can do is use something like Benadryl, hydroxyzine, diphenhydramine, gabapentin, hydrocortisone for itching. But it might be best to take it preventively, and not let it build up. Some of those medications will make you drowsy, and will also cause dry mouth, so keep that in mind. Topical anti-inflammatory's might help too, if you can rub it on the tips/base of your foot.
I actually have some lidocaine ointment that is for nerve pain so when it’s really bad, I put some of that on and that dulls it enough. I look forward to being able to massage the incision with my salve when this cast comes off.

Madmax

Madmax

I had a hip spica cast from toes to hip for over a year and a half once when I was a kid from a busted femur. Wore out a shoe, from a pair of tennis shoes, actually. I looked funny walking around with one new shoe, and one very worn afterwards.

We were so poor my dad gave me a pair of channel lock plyers and a piece of a hacksaw blade with tape wrapped around it too cut off my cast in the woods.
We can't afford to go to the doctor and get this thing off you kid...🐣 Go sit on that log and break out of your shell.

I was happy to be rid of that thing by any means possible; and my leg stunk like old cheese. Even the skin was molting; I think that last cast was probably 4 or 6 months old, by the time it finally came off.
I near had the same thing ..i came home from school when i was about 6 and my dad was making new side trays for the lorry..i climbed up the side and i fell backwards to the ground bringing the steel tray with me ..it broke my leg on thigh area ..my leg was white where the bone was nearly coming out ..i had my school shorts on..and what did boomer mother do....she put on a new pair of jeans lol only to watch them get cut off😂😂😂 and leg put in a clear plastic thingy then it was blown up..they plastered my hip area and a little of right leg then and was it tractions for 3 months.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I near had the same thing ..i came home from school when i was about 6 and my dad was making new side trays for the lorry..i climbed up the side and i fell backwards to the ground bringing the steel tray with me ..it broke my leg on thigh area ..my leg was white where the bone was nearly coming out ..i had my school shorts on..and what did boomer mother do....she put on a new pair of jeans lol only to watch them get cut off😂😂😂 and leg put in a clear plastic thingy then it was blown up..they plastered my hip area and a little of right leg then and was it tractions for 3 months.
Sounds like yours was worse than mine; I've cared for people that had compound fractures; and even arms/fingers, that were sewn back onto the body after being severed completely. (one guys arm was in a tree shredder, don't ask me about that one). 🤯 But somehow the surgeons fixed it. I used to be the one convincing little children that live medical leaches are their friends....🥰🥰🥰

external fixation and traction is no joke; no cake walk on that one.😱

When I was young as you, I once got my barefoot stuck in the spokes, flipped over the forks and almost cut my foot off. I was using my foot as a brake in the wrong fashion; and one of my so called buddies set me up for a bad fall. Those old big wheel one speeds with kick breaks, sometimes the chain would fall off... A 70's beach bike. No breaks, downhill; oh noes!! (bob wire and pit waiting). No; I double-dog dare you!

They had to carry me, and when my dad seen the foot hanging open like that; he was really pissed at me; threw me in the kitchen sink, washed me off and took me to the hospital. I think I scared him pretty bad that day, I think I was 7. But the foot works fine, toes are a little numb.

I'm really lucky all the stupid & crazy stunts I've pulled over the years.🤔

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Its amazing how we survived to tell the stories..they dont breed em like that anymore ha..
What? You mean like this....

800px Editorial cartoon depicting Charles Darwin as an ape 1871

amekins

amekins

All clean and has been massaged with lotion. Took my own trash and recycling out and now I’m going to do laundry. Friday I can drive myself to the grocery store. I haven’t shopped in six weeks and just had friends pick up milk and eggs. I can’t wait for fresh veggies.
C1ED170A FEF6 4650 BFED 04841CF114F6
8CA507FB B5CE 400B A247 B3265A9ECF3E
D51C578B 6098 4712 AC3C 71C17E070C70

amekins

amekins

Seemore (sourdough starter) was fed a few times, dough has been mixed for bread for tomorrow, and some candy (banana cream fruit chews and Christmas crack) made. A friend sent me 85 g of trim to turn into oil and candy for her. 😂
E435D343 45C7 47EE A50A 10F591850835
0E740B75 CA8D 4A86 9EDB C8756492ECE5

741B865B D8BA 492F A898 CF2939448785

648E72AB AF50 4AC8 9E27 5456E2DF1510

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
All clean and has been massaged with lotion. Took my own trash and recycling out and now I’m going to do laundry. Friday I can drive myself to the grocery store. I haven’t shopped in six weeks and just had friends pick up milk and eggs. I can’t wait for fresh veggies. View attachment 1191366View attachment 1191367View attachment 1191368
lol, your toes look short. 😛 The edema is apparent. I feel swelling in my toes too sometimes.
IMG 20211124 191112284

Mostly pressure spots there. Looks like especially on the lateral side of that back heel. Could have been worse. I bet you were pushing on that spot when you were ambulatory, is my guess.

Keep it lathered and moist in anything; if nothing more than petroleum jelly. Keep it elevated; when possible. You still got lots of edema there; and go really, really slow. Cause it will only take one good bash; or being off balance to fuck things up again. So be over cautious; I implore to to do so. That break is no joke.

I've seen people lose permanent function in there legs over a break similar to that, on multiple occasions.😜 That bone is an exceptionally slow healer.
Might take upwards of a year, or better to get you back up, to where you need to be.

Diet
Elevation
I would even continue to put the simulator on it; if you still have access to it.
Feet are so unimportant; until we don't have them anymore.

Last edited:
amekins

amekins

lol, your toes look short. 😛 The edema is apparent. I feel swelling in my toes too sometimes.
View attachment 1191510

Mostly pressure spots there. Looks like especially on the lateral side of that back heel. Could have been worse. I bet you were pushing on that spot when you were ambulatory, is my guess.

Keep it lathered and moist in anything; if nothing more than petroleum jelly. Keep it elevated; when possible. You still got lots of edema there; and go really, really slow. Cause it will only take one good bash; or being off balance to fuck things up again. So be over cautious; I implore to to do so. That break is no joke.

I've seen people lose permanent function in there legs over a break similar to that, on multiple occasions.😜 That bone is an exceptionally slow healer.
Might take upwards of a year, or better to get you back up, to where you need to be.

Diet
Elevation
I would even continue to put the simulator on it; if you still have access to it.
Feet are so unimportant; until we don't have them anymore.
This wasn’t a break but a fusion. That lateral heel irritation is from the steri strips placed over the harvested bone graft site (bone was taken from my calcaneus for the arthrodesis). I have iced, massaged, and it’s elevated. I was up too much today on it and it hurts like a mofo. The talus has poor blood supply but the navicular and cuneiform are actually pretty good. It took almost a full year before the edema was fully resolved after my surgery 15 months ago. The last paragraph of the postoperative report really made me feel a lot less like I was just whining.
72FD0D46 5B39 4638 B133 7539DEB9CF41
8B62D53C 4A16 4A52 BB4F 529092750989

PS—I fractured my talus in 2010 during a triathlon and finished the race. I couldn’t walk after I crossed the finish line. Apparently, I had never told my surgeon that. He said he hates working on the talus because they have such poor blood supply and heal slowly. That was just the first break. Lots of ligament and tendon damage that started when I was 12 (I’m 53).

Last edited:
Top Bottom