Archive Seeds "Light Speed".......

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sshz

sshz

Interesting, while looking at this picture it was very noticeable which light was using the Lumatek ballast. Remember I said they were pushing out more lumens- here's the proof. Just look at the plants size to the right. I'm currently running both lights at 1100 watts- the "Super" setting.

sshz

sshz

Here's a pic of the "Light Speed", I wanted to show the plant structure after a single topping. There's plenty of bud sites, that's for sure. Today is day 9 in flowering......... these will need some serious staking shortly.

IMG 0027

sshz

sshz

All the plants that I could get to were lolipopped today- basically the bottom 1/3 leaves and branches were removed.....this will help with air flow and make it easy to water the back rows. When I stake everything in the next few days- I'm hoping I'll get to the rest of them. I'm still not sure how to stake these- whether to do a single stake on the main stalk or 3 stakes in a circle and run hemp string around the outside to contain each plant. I'll decide shortly...........

sshz

sshz

Well, I had to throw a grenade into the room today, I just couldn't reach the LemonOG Haze X Cookies in the back 2 rows to lollipop them and give them a good clean up. So out came all the "Light Speed" plants, see pic #1. That left the Ethos strain (9 plants) in the back, which now became easy to get to (Pic #2). Three of those were cleaned up when I took the picture, look at the 6 left still to do on the right.

IMG 0028
IMG 0029

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

And the finished room...all back together. Only thing I actually changed was putting the Ethos strain in 3 rows on the left side of the room, and all the other plants are the Light Speed. It feels good to be done and have a clean room for the rest of flowering!

IMG 0030

sshz

sshz

Thanks buddy.......actually, if you read my RIU threads- I usually wait til about 5-6 weeks into flowering before I did what I did today......which sucks even more as they are budding and carry more weight up top (so things tend to fall more easier). I'll put up a another pic in a few days, after the leaves move (to gather more light) and fill in the canopy better. Still though, Light Speed is looking like a light yielder, while the LemonOG Haze hybrid looks (like last time) to be solid in the yield dept. Nothing to do now the next 8 1/2 weeks but water........

Tomorrow I'll address the Dragon's Flame experiment, as I started 9 plants in a very unusual fashion.........more coming on those.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

I would be worried about those thin branches holding weight. Looking forward to seeing how you handle it.

Beautiful plants though, can not help but give props on your skills.

sshz

sshz

Worry not......only 13 days into flowering- they have time to thicken up to hold more weight. But you do have me thinking, what I'll probably do is go branch by branch rubbing each branch near it's meeting point with the main stalk- with my thumb and forefinger. This in turn slightly damages the stem but it builds back up stronger and thicker. Also, when you switch from a high N fertilizer away to a bloom one- this too will encourage a more woody branch and stem. If you study cloning, they tell you to switch to a low N fertilizer about 10 days before cloning, along with washing down your plants daily- this leaches out the N and makes the stem more sturdy for the cloning process- same basic principle here.

I'm still fertilizing with the Botanicare veg fertilizer (3-2-4) but that ends tomorrow (2 weeks into flowering) and will start with a 2-3-5 until the end of week 6. Then on to a 1-4-5 for 2 weeks before no ferts the last 2 weeks. I expect these to continue to elongate another 2 weeks or so since they are heavily sativa influenced, so there's plenty of time to make adjustments. And before someone asks why I continue to use veg fertilizer into flowering, if i don't- the plants yellow to early as I get later into flowering. I've been doing this same exact method for many, many years- I like my plants healthy and green until late into flowering.

sshz

sshz

Also, today I finally got around to taking a pic of the "Dragon's Stash", Dragon Flames F3 testers Jeff sent me. The plan was to grow them out normally in another room, but the more I thought about it- I really want to keep 2-3 of these "Light Speeds" for mothers for clones for future crops. And maybe some breeding experiments. So this room needs to be available in June when the crop is done. So after some thought, I started all of them in the barrel below, and will continue vegging for a week or so until I flower them and then sex them all. I'll destroy the males, and put the females outside for an outdoor crop. I have 2 acres of land and plenty of wooded area to find a spot for them. I normally don't do outdoor crops as the insects (and deer) are ferocious and it will take a lot of effort, but I think I can make it work with minimal effort

These have been under a 600 watt HPS bulb for a few weeks, 9 plants all sprouted with minimal issues. I haven't given them any attention since I've been busy with the other room either.

IMG 0042

sshz

sshz

I wanted to comment on the Ethos LemonOG Haze X Cookies freebies that i grew last time and am growing 9 of them again. I promised a smoke report on these. I chose to do these again for their massive yield, which will help the room's final weight as I don't expect the Light Speed to heavily produce. I think I averaged over 2 1/2 oz per plant on these. They were not the most dense buds, but still looked great and were caked with resin.

Appearance wise, these were noticeably different than the cookies, as they had a much lighter appearance in color and had more "spear" shapes cola's- as opposed to the Cookies which had a "flat" top look. The high was just average, and probably needed another week or so to get to where I like them to be at harvest. I am not really smoking these days (just edibles), and the 2-3 solid hits off a glass pipe fucked up my lungs and chest for 4 days- I felt like shit- that's why I'm not smoking anymore. LOL I can vape a bit though, and at some point I'll try it again after this nice 2 month cure and let you know.

There's a reason these are not available for sale by Ethos. They bring a lot of strains to market and this one didn't make the grade. I would never spend cash for these, but for freebies, I'll take them (especially with the nice yields). Oh, I'm out of them now I think so you won't see this one again. I should also report my people liked it, well enough to come back for more. Most of them hate dispensary weed (questionable quality for the high price).

sshz

sshz

Is it good........yes and no I’m guessing. Bad in the sense that you have to raise your lights high enough so the plants don’t burn, which means the lower parts of plants get less light and you can end up with unfinished buds down low. It may also mean some plant staking is necessary to help hold the plants up as the buds get heavier. Good in the sense that the longer the stalk, the more area for buds to grow. But much of that is genetically determined. But overall, I’ve found I like a stretch of 1-2 feet so the plants can spread out a bit and open up some so more light can get to the bud areas.

Remember too, I cut off the top of the main stalk to help spread the plant auxins (hormones) to control elongation. If I hadn’t done that- these plants would have been way taller, due to their sativa genetics.

Plants will also stretch more when looking for more light, typically plants further to the outside of the room will be taller. And one more thing, the more tightly you have the plants spaced- the more they typically stretch competing for light against their neighbors. Space them out more, they will stretch less.

But to specifically answer your question- more elongation does NOT necessarily lead to bigger buds in the end. It’s all about genetics, IMO.

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Is it good........yes and no I’m guessing. Bad in the sense that you have to raise your lights high enough so the plants don’t burn, which means the lower parts of plants get less light and you can end up with unfinished buds down low. It may also mean some plant staking is necessary to help hold the plants up as the buds get heavier. Good in the sense that the longer the stalk, the more area for buds to grow. But much of that is genetically determined. But overall, I’ve found I like a stretch of 1-2 feet so the plants can spread out a bit and open up some so more light can get to the bud areas.

Remember too, I cut off the top of the main stalk to help spread the plant auxins (hormones) to control elongation. If I hadn’t done that- these plants would have been way taller, due to their sativa genetics.

Plants will also stretch more when looking for more light, typically plants further to the outside of the room will be taller. And one more thing, the more tightly you have the plants spaced- the more they typically stretch competing for light against their neighbors. Space them out more, they will stretch less.

But to specifically answer your question- more elongation does NOT necessarily lead to bigger buds in the end. It’s all about genetics, IMO.
This is so cool for me. I have been wanting to grow weed for EVER but didn't want to risk my family's future on a hobby. Not to mention knew they had all this equipment to stay stealthy as well lol.my plants seem to be coming along pretty well and look to flip to 12's in about 3 to 4 weeks. I will have to post week 8 pictures when I get home.

sshz

sshz

A friend in CO sent me 5 packs of "Golden Goat" by Irie Genetics, Rasta Jeff is the breeder. I just listened to a 27 minute podcast by Jeff about the strain. I like the fact it's a very heavy yielder, not so happy it can grow tall. It has me wondering now about doing this one instead of the Katsu Sour Bubba next...........

sshz

sshz

Well, it turns out my friend is sending me OrangeGasm instead (I misunderstood), which is a Golden Goat hybrid with Platinum Tangie- so I'm happy it's not the straight Golden Goat- as they do grow VERY tall and lanky. This strain looks much more manageable height wise. Here's Rasta Jeff's podcast on this strain, it's worth a listen. I like the fact that he reviews each of his strains in great detail so there's no surprises when growing it. He's says in it he's never seen a more orange/tangerine strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom