B.O.G.'S Sour Grape in Straw Bales

• Thread starter ZONER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ZONER

ZONER

Be very careful with black mold... I've seen people run into this problem in humid areas. If it's dry where your at, then you should be good. Good luck!;)
Thanks for the heads up ElManiaco, guess its another issue for my outdoor grow ..... Guess that's why I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket as they say. Well I will just have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks Again Brother.......:)

ElManiaco

ElManiaco

Thanks for the heads up ElManiaco, guess its another issue for my outdoor grow ..... Guess that's why I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket as they say. Well I will just have to keep my fingers crossed. Thanks Again Brother.......:)
No problem... I've seen these types of grows with humidity causing total loss of crop due to black mold in the hay bales. It thrives in moist hay bales & when it dries, it creates a dusty black cloud (spores) when disturbed so in turn, the spores would jump on the buds causing mold when it was drying.
Just watching out for my fellow bros & sista's. At the end of the day, we all want to reap our rewards from putting time, effort, $$$, and sweat into making quality meds.
Good luck & I'll be stopping in;)

ZONER

ZONER

No problem... I've seen these types of grows with humidity causing total loss of crop due to black mold in the hay bales. It thrives in moist hay bales & when it dries, it creates a dusty black cloud (spores) when disturbed so in turn, the spores would jump on the buds causing mold when it was drying.
Just watching out for my fellow bros & sista's. At the end of the day, we all want to reap our rewards from putting time, effort, $$$, and sweat into making quality meds.
Good luck & I'll be stopping in;)
Please drop in ElManiaco .... An extra set of eyes will be appreciated ...

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Thanks DP, I 'm going to put out around a total of 12 in the straw bales and the rest will be put into 10 & 15 gallon smart pots on some other land out back brother... Hopefully I will get out of this funk I've been in once the weather warms up. Hey don't forget my weather updates Bro ... Lol
Frost last week.. 90's the other day.. And frost warning wed. night!.. Looks like your good though brother.. The set-up looks awesome this year Z.. Best DP

ZONER

ZONER

I've done vegetables in bales;
it worked just fine--
but you gotta keep 'em wet...
I will be utilizing a timer and soaker hoses, they will be set for daily drench. Also will be utilizing a brass siphon mixer for every fourth day, if they need more nutes I will adjust as I go .... be it strength of nutes or frequency.
The siphon mixer will be a 16:1 ratio, 16 gallons of water to 1 gallon of nutes or teas which ever I use. The feeding will be the tricky part in the beginning.
Thanks for the info geologic ...

bongstar

bongstar

Nice, just heard about this style. Nice to see it with MMJ. Ill be watching

Chili Bu

Chili Bu

watching this thread!
awesome idea,
my wife likes it too and think they would look cool,
lol

ZONER

ZONER

Nice, just heard about this style. Nice to see it with MMJ. Ill be watching
watching this thread!
awesome idea,
my wife likes it too and think they would look cool,
lol
Took a beating with the weather last week, plants are holding up but as usual 3 inches of rain in 24 hours last week then 2 days later frost alerts at night. Covered them at night and reset the timer to only water them every third day for 20 minutes .... Thanks for pulling up a chair folks, I will post follow up pics next week.

It's going to be overcast and drizzly the next few days so they're staying under the clear plastic to keep the temps up a little higher.

Last edited:
Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Glad there holding up for ya..Good to hear that Z.. I had only put one out, and the frost hit her real bad.. Probably a goner.. Couldn't make the hike thru the woods to get there on time to put a lid on it.. Might give it another go.. I have a few on stand-by.. Best always my brother.. DP

ZONER

ZONER

Glad there holding up for ya..Good to hear that Z.. I had only put one out, and the frost hit her real bad.. Probably a goner.. Couldn't make the hike thru the woods to get there on time to put a lid on it.. Might give it another go.. I have a few on stand-by.. Best always my brother.. DP
Was going to like your post but .... Just didn't seem right DP, sorry to hear she took a hit I'll light a candle for ya Bro, and by the way thanks for the kind words

Last edited:
ElManiaco

ElManiaco

That's the bad thing bout outdoors... Weather can take a toll but it can also make some beautiful trees outta them fo'sho! Sorry to hear bout losing a lady DP, I feel yer pain bro... Hope all is well with y'all besides all of the weather issues... I'm still lurking;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks DP ..... I'm just hoping the straw bales work ..... But at least it will be a good trial Grow.
I'm interested in watching this grow, too. I've done straw bales for years now, but for stuff like growing green beans, salad greens, small stuff that's low N demand. It's the N demand as the straw decomposes that I can see becoming a problem for you, yet it can also be one of the easiest problems to correct.

ZONER

ZONER

I'm interested in watching this grow, too. I've done straw bales for years now, but for stuff like growing green beans, salad greens, small stuff that's low N demand. It's the N demand as the straw decomposes that I can see becoming a problem for you, yet it can also be one of the easiest problems to correct.
Thank you for stopping by Seamaiden, I've already disconnected the siphon hose I was using with the soaker hose it just would not pull the tea I had made. So it looks like I will use a hose splitter and hook up a regular drinking hose with the hand wand and water with my tea's every third watering. This is new to me so while I'm out there I might as well try and dial it the best I can.
Tonight I will give the plants a good neem spray, want to try and keep the little bugs away.
I will say the plants have perked up since three days ago since the night time temps are at the 50 degree mark. So off I go .... have to get my regular garden seeds ready to sow into the bales tomorrow.

Last edited:
ZONER

ZONER

Well it's been 2 weeks in the straw bales and with the weather not cooperating once I did plant them there is not a whole lot to report other than the survived ..... So here are some pic from my IPAD.
HERE IS A PHOTO FROM May 9th

And a follow up photo from today 2 hours after a brief shower.

SOME MORE PICS OF THE B.O.G.S SOUR GRAPE INDIVIDUALLY

Image Image Image Image Image

O.K. NOW MOVING ON TO THE BAKEDREALITY ROTTEN MILK & FARMERS MIX 2013's FROM THE FARMS FREEBIES LIST. THE ONES WITH THE RED CUPS ARE THE ROTTEN MILK'S ...... Smell like a sweet smelly cheese ...
Image Image

A few pics of B.O.G.S LIFESAVER'S

Now the single shots from the top
Image Image Image Image

Also have some KIMBO KUSH & CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY PICS

Now single shots, first is a CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY

And now a KIMBO KUSH

Other than getting ready to up pot them into 10 & 15 GALLON SMART POTS IN 2 WEEKS THERE IS NOT REALLY MUCH TO SAY......so if you have suggestions, comments or tips feel free to post them Folks .....

Jeez don't know why the last 2 photos duplicated ....lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom