B.O.G.'S Sour Grape in Straw Bales

• Thread starter ZONER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Not much happening here anyway Z.. My one outdoor plant took a big hit from some frost earlier. And it was a big hassle stomping thru the woods at my tired ass age.. So I scraped the idea of putting a few others out there.. I'll just finish them up indoors.. And I'm working on some heat issues indoors too!.. Going right from the furnace to the AC bro.. Your weather dude DP

BeenBurned

BeenBurned

Same here...41 last night! Friggin PNW!! Watching this thread close bro. I will b spending this year looking for some DNA suited to cooler, shorter seasons. Do you have any suggestions? Next year I will b ready!

Life on the 49th...

ZONER

ZONER

Same here...41 last night! Friggin PNW!! Watching this thread close bro. I will b spending this year looking for some DNA suited to cooler, shorter seasons. Do you have any suggestions? Next year I will b ready!

Life on the 49th...
I'm liking B.O.G.S GEAR but also looking at Afghani weed varieties, they're Indica and finish around 50 days supposedly. That would put it around end of September for me since the latest outdoors for me is mid October before I start stressing about the first frost where I am. Best of luck on the search BB.

ZONER

ZONER

Not much happening here anyway Z.. My one outdoor plant took a big hit from some frost earlier. And it was a big hassle stomping thru the woods at my tired ass age.. So I scraped the idea of putting a few others out there.. I'll just finish them up indoors.. And I'm working on some heat issues indoors too!.. Going right from the furnace to the AC bro.. Your weather dude DP
You'll come out on top DP, your girls are always healthy and lush Brother. Just Keep Trucking and keep your eyes on that prize .... Z

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not sure the rain caused the yellowing, I have found it happens when growing in straw bales, even legumes will yellow out. Top-dressings help, as do teas. Lookin' good!

ZONER

ZONER

I'm not sure the rain caused the yellowing, I have found it happens when growing in straw bales, even legumes will yellow out. Top-dressings help, as do teas. Lookin' good!
Heelloo Seamaiden,
Just gave them a TEA yesterday morning and places the leftovers on top of the bales. Will be brewing up more tea, the rain was heavy and any nutes I did water them with ...well got washed right out of the bales, so I will give them a foliar spray this evening to help them Along.
Then it's tea time again.

ZONER

ZONER

BACK AGAIN FARMERS .....

3 Weeks have gone by and they seem to be growing in the bales pretty good. Well after 5 days of on and off rain they are really hungry for "N"
View attachment 414121
Save a tad bit of weeding to do around the bales.
Here are some single pics of B.O.G.S SOUR GRAPE
View attachment 414123 View attachment 414125 View attachment 414126 View attachment 414127 View attachment 414128
The majority of the sour grapes are about 2 1/2 ft to 3 ft tall
The 3rd photo shows slower growth and will get pinched and tied over to the fence to see if it will put out more buds.
View attachment 414136
Here is my KIMBO

A few shots of my Rotten Milks by BAKEDREALITY mmmmmm stinky & FARMERS MIX 2013
ROTTEN MILK #1 View attachment 414140
ROTTEN MILK #2View attachment 414141
ROTTEN MILK #3View attachment 414142
FARMERS MIX #1View attachment 414144
FARMERS MIX #2View attachment 414147
FARMERS MIX #3View attachment 414150

All of the girls will be up potted this weekend into 10 gallon smart pots ..... Except for my B.O.G.S LIFESAVERS they will be up potted into 15 Gallons smart pots.

Well back to brewing a fresh batch of ACT.

Update on my B.O.G.S SOUR GRAPES in the straw bales.

Hey people just wanted to post some updated pics of the girls. I did have to toss the smallest since it just wasn't progressing much, it was still at around 14 inches tall and no branching. After removing the plant and examining the root ball it had not developed how I had hoped. After digging into the bale with my trowel there was a softball sided hard ball of what looked like twisted up straw and plant material (sorry I didn't take a pic of it) so into the compost pile it went, the plant that is.

Well onto the rest ....
The girls are finally starting to stretch up and out even with the four stripe bugs munching on them those little sneaky ninja bastards. Every time I would try and find them on some of the plants it was a hide and seek match. After locating one as I would move my head left it darted to the other side, move my head that way and it snuck to the other side. Spray won't help unless its direct contact and the usually die out by July so I just spray them down with neem to control any other bugs that might be hiding out like those little leaf hoppers, otherwise they're moving right along.

Now some pics:

O.K. NOW HERE IS A CHOCOLATE COVERED STRAWBERRY
NEXT A KIMBO KUSH

All plants are from seed and were not topped, I am going to run them with no FIM, PINCHING bending ETC.. But I will clean up the lower branches.

Feeding they receive:

ACT TEA twice a week
Caps foliar once a week
Neem foliar every three days
Top dressing with EWC & Bat guano once a week

I still feel that due to the bales size the root system on most are still spreading out and will continue, so I will probably step up my nute mixes soon.
Overall I am happy since they all will probably hit 5 feet before August and once they start flowering I am guessing 7 maybe 8 footers. Well hoping for at least 1 whole per girl but as it is beggars cant't be choosy .... Lol

Well I will follow up on the other bakers dozen next week.

ZONER SAYS PEACE.....:cool:

Last edited:
Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Sweet looking healthy plants Z.. Give them gals a good shake, and blast them little bastards with some neem as they fly away.. Can't avoid them all outdoors.. I'll be tuned in since I have no outdoor action this year.. I'll have to get my fix on over here bro.. I'll be by with my trick or treat bag for sure!..

ZONER

ZONER

Howdy Farmers,
Well my sturdiest Sour Grape was a male and was chopped today, that leaves me with 3 girls. Since this is my first time growing Cannabis in straw bales and was curious as to root development.
I tried pulling up the male by his neck and I pulled a 12 inch wide slab out of the bale, after looking closer I could see that the roots had broke of on the sides and could still be seen in the bale that was left.
Attached are photos of the root system that developed, mind you I tried to clean off some straw but was defeated by the intertwined root system that was developing. The hight of the bales was 22 inches and the roots hit bottom and were now spreading sideways.
Image Image Image Image
This guy was starting to grow wider and it broke my heart to take him out, I had no way to remove him safely from the bale, along with collecting pollen from him due to my paranoia of pollinating the girls.
If she would of been a female I could of seen her being a 10 footer in that bale .. :(

Stop back soon folks ...:cool:

ZONER

ZONER

Just a quick note, bugs love straw bales. So far took a beating with the four stripe bugs ..... Then the hoard of Jap Beetles show up, did not see a single one last year go figure. Oh an not to forget my favorite the leaf hopper. Two of my girls look like Swiss cheese ... Lol ... But I see that the new growth is holding strong so chin up.

Starting to think the extra cost of electricity is more than worth it on an inside grow .... Well gonna eat my PBJ sandwich and go turn the compost pile over then wet it down a bit ...
ZONER out .....:wacky:

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Oh Yeah Z... Now thats some outdoor action i can flashback too. the bales.. oh pickin that outta my skin at a young age, thinking it was something not from earth lol . sure can love the straw now lol. Looking good. gonna get my peepingtom on if you dont mind .. Rock on brother..
Respect!

ZONER

ZONER

Oh Yeah Z... Now thats some outdoor action i can flashback too. the bales.. oh pickin that outta my skin at a young age, thinking it was something not from earth lol . sure can love the straw now lol. Looking good. gonna get my peepingtom on if you dont mind .. Rock on brother..
Respect!
Peep away Gamr,
My other outdoor girls are in smart pots and doing very well, the straw bales are growing some nice peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes. Just wish the bugs would go eat those MOFO'S ... Put such is life brother hope all is well out by you.

ZONER

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just a quick note, bugs love straw bales. So far took a beating with the four stripe bugs ..... Then the hoard of Jap Beetles show up, did not see a single one last year go figure. Oh an not to forget my favorite the leaf hopper. Two of my girls look like Swiss cheese ... Lol ... But I see that the new growth is holding strong so chin up.

Starting to think the extra cost of electricity is more than worth it on an inside grow .... Well gonna eat my PBJ sandwich and go turn the compost pile over then wet it down a bit ...
ZONER out .....:wacky:
Oh... yeah, I learned that, too. The only thing that saved my subsequent green bean seedlings was a little pile of neem seed meal around each seedling. Otherwise, they'd pop and the next morning their heads would be gone. The bugs like the plants that are being fed the heaviest, too, btw.

ZONER

ZONER

Hey Farmers just wanted to trow out some pics from the
LIL HIDDEN VALLEY GROW.... from behind my 2nd out building ......
SUNP0001

AND NOW
SUNP0003

THE 15 GIRLS GET SUN FROM NOON TILL SUNSET IN THIS LOCATION( they are in 15,10,and 7 gallon pots). WAS UNABLE TO USE MY NEW CLEARED SPOT DUE TO THE FARMER CLEARING SOME TREES FOR FIREWOOD NEXT WINTER.
used my old cheapo camera for 2 quick photos

ZONER

ZONER

Wow, it looks like you would have enough land to coppice.
When I clear areas I usually leave around 2 foot stumps from trees that have grouped into a bunch of 3 or four. I never drop more than I need and usually it include the ones that nature had done in with severe weather or other natural damage.
I probably have a little more than 9 or 10 acres uncleared and I am zoned for agriculture but I like my privacy and well ...... I would rather free range chickens and keep a nice little garden for myself and there is great mushroom pickin outback and just found out from a local that there is wild ginseng to be found so why cut up my little piece of heaven.
Also I go out to my tree stand to hunt during season so between the deer, bear and get an occasional coyote I don't have to leave my property too do so. Now if there was only a nice stream running through it. Well I'm babbling so thanks for stopping by Sea.....:)

ZONER

ZONER

Hey Farmers just wanted to trow out some pics from the
LIL HIDDEN VALLEY GROW.... from behind my 2nd out building ......
View attachment 419537
AND NOWView attachment 419540
THE 15 GIRLS GET SUN FROM NOON TILL SUNSET IN THIS LOCATION( they are in 15,10,and 7 gallon pots). WAS UNABLE TO USE MY NEW CLEARED SPOT DUE TO THE FARMER CLEARING SOME TREES FOR FIREWOOD NEXT WINTER.
used my old cheapo camera for 2 quick photos
Couple more pics

Top Bottom