B.O.G.'S Sour Grape in Straw Bales

• Thread starter ZONER
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, it's not the curse of the straw bales. I've had some issues with plants I thought were sexed this year, and someone close to me who knows their stuff gave me a batch of excess ladies, and one of them BANG! Dropped balls.

Do you have any replacements available?

ZONER

ZONER

No, it's not the curse of the straw bales. I've had some issues with plants I thought were sexed this year, and someone close to me who knows their stuff gave me a batch of excess ladies, and one of them BANG! Dropped balls.

Do you have any replacements available?
Hey Sea I have my other girls (I Hope) out behind my 2nd out building and only one of the 16 threw .... Dare I say it ...:rage: .... Balls, so it's all good.
I really want to see what happens with the last 2 In the Bales, would really like to take at least one of them to the prom in October. . . .Lol

ZONER

ZONER

Hey farmers was bored so .... Making some Rick Simpsons "HEMP OIL" in the garage, and started a batch of oil for a lotion to give my Sis with Cerebral Palsy.
So a $hitty pic from my IPad of the Ricks Method

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Got a good lotion recipe?
LOVE the work with PTO. It is a hideously long process, and can produce pretty random results, but I like PTO better than BHO both on the process AND the product.
SGs are gorgeous.
Weird about the straw bales and males. @Seamaiden ; you had a female clone reverse in the straw bales?

What is your consensus on this technique with tomatoes, peppers, etc? I found this thread intriguing.
If a feller wanted some male plants...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, I don't think this was a clone and I'm not growing anything in straw bales this year. I'm pretty sure it was a seed start, based on its growth habits, assumed it had been sexed since it was a gift, and then it dropped full on balls, nothing female about it. Further, I've got a plant of my own, all seed starts, that I thought I had sexed and now I'm not so sure. Again, not in straw bales.

I'll be honest, with the weirdnesses that seem to pop up the last three or four years now, I find myself wondering what role climate change is playing in fucking with our heads.

I've used the straw bales extensively for growing veggies. I like that they're essentially another method of raised bed which REALLY saves my back. I've done mostly green beans in the bales, but would also happily do tomatoes, peppers... squash either with some control or allowing enough room to get around and to them... what else? Damn near anything but corn, since it tends to grow tall enough that it doesn't need to be raised up.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Took me a couple of hours using the rice cooker on low.

ZONER

ZONER

Got a good lotion recipe?
LOVE the work with PTO. It is a hideously long process, and can produce pretty random results, but I like PTO better than BHO both on the process AND the product.
SGs are gorgeous.
Weird about the straw bales and males. @Seamaiden ; you had a female clone reverse in the straw bales?

What is your consensus on this technique with tomatoes, peppers, etc? I found this thread intriguing.
If a feller wanted some male plants...
Sorry for the delay altitudefarmer, must say my peppers love the bales and the tomatoes are doing pretty good. My eggplants are starting to pop, they continue to flower but then the flowers died .... Now they finally are growing out. Just planted my carrots and beets in mid July also some more lettuce ... They did well the first time. Oh and the last pick is my potato patch .... It started growing in one of my small compost piles, that had a lot of Alpaca Manure in it and apparently my kitchen scraped potato skins along with some parts of the potato that were cut up
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImage Image
The peppers do so well thinking of just growing a lotta different types of the hot ones to sell at the little farmers market next year. Even try making hot pepper jelly

Last edited:
ZONER

ZONER

View attachment 424969
Here's the "Lady Medusa"....
A 7 1/2 foot long tall drink of water, with a real robust figure and filling out in all the right places.
And now lets bring out a fresh pic of "LADY MEDUSA" whatcha think ? She is looking lush and just waiting to bust out her flower. Have to start putting in some bamboo stakes to hold up her tops soon.

The thumbnail pic was from July 20th

Last edited:
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Thanks for the info, Zoner and SeaMaiden. I was wondering if I used alfalfa instead of straw if the triacontinol (sp?) would be too much. Going to research that a bit.

ZONER

ZONER

Thanks for the info, Zoner and SeaMaiden. I was wondering if I used alfalfa instead of straw if the triacontinol (sp?) would be too much. Going to research that a bit.
Hay bales and or alfalfa bales do not seem to work well, but I'm sure if you pick up some alfalfa bale(s) for the compost pile it will make a good manure tea next season ... Heck I just gave myself a good idea for once ...lol

ZONER

ZONER

O.K. Here's an update pic of my last 2 SOUR GRAPES

The sour grape above is fuller and has stayed much deep green, while the sour grape below has stayed a lighter green and seems to be a favorite for the Jap Beetles .... I thought the beetles were all gone but everyday I find them fuckin on the plant, get a room ya shits .... geez

When it's done I will definitely post my thoughts on the MJ Bale grow.

Now for the girls behind the 2nd out building.

The three girls above are my B.O.G.S LIFESAVERS in 15 G bags

The 3 to the left are Bakedreality's Rotten Milks

All 7 starting from the right are the "Farmer Mix 2013 " freebies in 10 G pots.... When they start flowering I hope some farmers will be able to help pin down their genetics.

Well farmers that concludes the 2nd part of my grow .... Nothing spectacular to report other than these girls are staying healthy looking.

Top Bottom