Baphomet's Danky Dungeon Grow, Take 2 (Bacio Gelato x Gushers)

• Thread starter bellumromanum
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I have no idea what I would do with a sub-irrigated reservoir but in general I think poking holes to improve drainage is probably fine. I would use like a chopstick-size skewer and just stay away from directly below the plant.
My concern with hole-poking would be dry spots... but since you're working with basically just capillary action..? I dunno.
Maybe poking holes and filling them with something porous and also absorbent? Like perlite? But that's too thick...
Again... out of my element.

You guys talking about poking holes in the soil or are you talmbout putting some holes in the side of the box and facilitate better breathing at the root zone that way?

You can’t let the soil dry out at all? Like take the covers off? I wouldn’t dig around but maybe poke some holes with a kabob skewer.

Yea I'm letting it dry out now, it just takes so much longer than it seems like it should and the symptoms I'm seeing all have one potential underlying cause in common; poor drainage.

I think I'll look into the skewers thing, smart. My buddy who mentors me in a lot of this advised drying them out until the plants look slightly abused then starting to only top water lightly with EM1 so there's no potential rot. I also have some humic acid on the way that may help.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
You guys talking about poking holes in the soil or are you talmbout putting some holes in the side of the box and facilitate better breathing at the root zone that way?

Yea I'm letting it dry out now, it just takes so much longer than it seems like it should and the symptoms I'm seeing all have one potential underlying cause in common; poor drainage.

I think I'll look into the skewers thing, smart. My buddy who mentors me in a lot of this advised drying them out until the plants look slightly abused then starting to only top water lightly with EM1 so there's no potential rot. I also have some humic acid on the way that may help.
Add a small fan below the boxes to help dry the soil faster.. then you can remove it once they bounce back and the soil is sorted out.

beluga

beluga

I'm talking through the top of the soil and rhizosphere.
And yeah, maybe switching over to top watering might be a solution. Bottom watering, unless it's very aerated soil, seems generally like a recipe for stagnation. I'll hit a plant from both sides if it's way dried out, but, beyond that, I'm generally kinda skeptical of bottom watering... it is a common practice, however... just my feels.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Add a small fan below the boxes to help dry the soil faster.. then you can remove it once they bounce back and the soil is sorted out.

Yea man could probably put one blowing directly at the over-fill port for the reservoir and get some airflow straight up into the bottom of the soil that way

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I'm talking through the top of the soil and rhizosphere.
And yeah, maybe switching over to top watering might be a solution. Bottom watering, unless it's very aerated soil, seems generally like a recipe for stagnation. I'll hit a plant from both sides if it's way dried out, but, beyond that, I'm generally kinda skeptical of bottom watering... it is a common practice, however... just my feels.

I think a combination of both at this point. I'm not tripping too hard if I can get them back where I want them great, if not I have a new flower tent coming and some beans I'm excited about I can take clones and get moving on the next batch

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Howdy fellas

So, I have a new tent coming that will become the new flower tent. All the lights I have will be moved over. This means I'll need a main light for the current tent which will become the veg/mother tent. I would appreciate your guys' thoughts on veg lighting

Main constraints:

- Cost, I'm going to be cheap here
- Heat - would prefer if they put off enough heat that I didn't have to add heat to the tent (or I could set clones on a seedling mat inside)
- Vegetative growth efficiency
- Suitable size for 4x4 tent

So, I'm looking at a few options. The first and most obvious is just some T5 fluorescents. They seems cheap and like cannabis vegs' well underneath them. I'm not certain on their heat output though, nor how many I would want to cover a 4x4 tent. Would something like this work?

Next option is to buy a straight up Amazon LED grow light. Maybe one of the ones that advertises 1kwatts but pulls 125w from the wall? I hear about these a lot. I assume this is something along those lines:

Last thought about a conventional HID for heat output etc:

Obviously there's no "this light is best" but given the listed constraints would be interested to hear your guys' thoughts/opinions/suggestions. Thanks.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
I run as few as 8 it as many as 16 t5 tubes (total) in a 4x4... Half red, half blue.
Have also done 8 tubes and a 400mh... That worked well for keeping a mother and clone cycle going.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Howdy fellas

View attachment 1067434

So, I have a new tent coming that will become the new flower tent. All the lights I have will be moved over. This means I'll need a main light for the current tent which will become the veg/mother tent. I would appreciate your guys' thoughts on veg lighting

Main constraints:

- Cost, I'm going to be cheap here
- Heat - would prefer if they put off enough heat that I didn't have to add heat to the tent (or I could set clones on a seedling mat inside)
- Vegetative growth efficiency
- Suitable size for 4x4 tent

So, I'm looking at a few options. The first and most obvious is just some T5 fluorescents. They seems cheap and like cannabis vegs' well underneath them. I'm not certain on their heat output though, nor how many I would want to cover a 4x4 tent. Would something like this work?

View attachment 1067435

Next option is to buy a straight up Amazon LED grow light. Maybe one of the ones that advertises 1kwatts but pulls 125w from the wall? I hear about these a lot. I assume this is something along those lines:

View attachment 1067436

Last thought about a conventional HID for heat output etc:
View attachment 1067437

Obviously there's no "this light is best" but given the listed constraints would be interested to hear your guys' thoughts/opinions/suggestions. Thanks.
Even for veg I think you would want at least 400 true watts worth of LED for it to be worth much in a 4x4. Maybe someone else can correct me on that. Maaaaybe 300? I like these in that realm https://www.viparspectra.com/collections/pro-series I link in part because it is actually a little cheaper than what you posted.

But tbh if you want heat for veg I think I would just do the T5 fluorescent bulbs.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

I run as few as 8 it as many as 16 t5 tubes (total) in a 4x4... Half red, half blue.
Have also done 8 tubes and a 400mh... That worked well for keeping a mother and clone cycle going.

rgr, leaning this direction

I had a feeling I'd get a response similar to this. I'm into it I just can't afford the time-cost right now =\

Even for veg I think you would want at least 400 true watts worth of LED for it to be worth much in a 4x4. Maybe someone else can correct me on that. Maaaaybe 300? I like these in that realm https://www.viparspectra.com/collections/pro-series I link in part because it is actually a little cheaper than what you posted.

But tbh if you want heat for veg I think I would just do the T5 fluorescent bulbs.

Gives me another good option to consider, thanks. Leaning towards T5's but this is probably second right now

beluga

beluga

I had a feeling I'd get a response similar to this. I'm into it I just can't afford the time-cost right now =\
Yeah, all in good fun. Don't mean to 🔌⚡💡🔵🔵 ya.

I'm also on the T5 train for veg.

Yeah, I hear about 20W/sqft for veg, so 320 would be your mark for a 4x4.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Yeah, all in good fun. Don't mean to 🔌⚡💡🔵🔵 ya.

I'm also on the T5 train for veg.

Yeah, I hear about 20W/sqft for veg, so 320 would be your mark for a 4x4.

Thinking this through the initial veg area also can start smaller I think. Might use a 2'x4' area footprint initially since, ya know, I don't actually have any mothers yet. And I'm cheap. Not sure if I mentioned that part. I'm actually not that cheap but my wife is juuuuust about done with my nickel and diming for growing supplies/equipment.

SHO...Probs gonna do 1 of the 4ft 4 bulb T5 enclosures as depicted above to start. Specs state 230w from the wall so that should cover more than the needed space. Can move my little seedling spotlight into the tent and use the other part for propagation.

I don't think this tent needs to be very 'smart'. Logic based controllers probably all going to the flower tent. I feel like I can get this space dialed or semi-dialed using the T5's, an exhaust fan and a tower fan for circulation. Although I supposed I will want to try to keep the RH higher in there....we'll see.

Hortulanus

Hortulanus

My late 2 cents is go with t5. With a 2x4 tent your are going to be dealing with the light cast straight down by the LEDs. My tent is 2x3 and I had to buy a second light to get some light cast to the far end of the tent. I miss my old t5s. They were great for veg.

Edit: nvm it might be nostalgic🤣

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

So I went and talked myself in circles. Decided hanging enough T5's to be effective was gonna be more hassle than just doing a cheapo CMH off Amazon. Figured 4200k and I could scoop one for around $150 with a bulb. Then read enough reviews to realize that was a bad idea and I was gonna need to spend at least $250 to get a passable cheap CMH hood & ballast and a bulb worth using.

So now I think I've talked myself all the way back around to just spending the $200 on a full spectrum LED and being done with it.

Isn't overthinking fun? Anyone know if there's a forum discount code or something like that for Viparspectra?

Top Bottom