• Tagged users None
mastacheeser

mastacheeser

aww great thread, just noticed it
guna get some pics up next time im back home
my specialty...
bbq baby back ribs with brown sugar rub
smoked for 4-5 hours
about an hour before done, resmother with a layer of glycerine, layer of bbq, and a dusting of brown sugar rub

true grit

true grit

Damn you Tex! Its less than a day later and I already had to toss a brisket on!! lol. Time to show some CO folks what this TX brisket is about! ha.

K

King Fresh

I like that Tex, Im very much over lighting paper. Do you still light the coals in the chimney starter or just torch the pile of coals. I will be picking up a Bernzomatic soon. thanks for the tip
peace and grub
I agree cast iron would be the best way to go.. Charcoal chimes work great, but we got tired of using paper long time ago. This is what ya'll need to get for small house smoke bbqs.. Made by BernzoMatic, it's a self igniting torch. Get 'em from any hardware sto.. Hook up a 1lb propane tank and hit the switch you light coals in minutes.. :rock

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice post Tex! You know I be getting down on ribs and briskets!

I miss the good ole baby back backyard cookoffs...ill have to see if I can remake my dry rub and dr.pepper honey glaze. what what. lol!

Have to say bro, i most def miss good brisket- can find some decent stuff around here but ready for summer and my own!

I feel ya man.. We love some ribs and hell any q, you know how we do it here bro.. I too use a soda for ribs, pork butt, or even brisket. I used Pepsi & coke and just sprayed them every hour for a few til a nice crust formed. Really good.. I have to try this DP & honey, sounds great man.. Can ya share the recipe or a basic outline? I understand if it's a highly secret recipe. ;)

true grit

true grit

Ya bro, nothing secret. I'm making it again here shortly with a few changes and will post it up. Basically I get a saucepan, add DP and Honey and sorta reduce it with low heat to a thick glaze. From there I just baste with the glaze peridoically (i do a semi spicy rub to start, so its a nice sweet and spice...goes great with the smoke) . Might add a little butter/oil this time, shall see.

edit- damn if i was really smart, i woulda got some cherry DP! or some cherry Coke. hmm...

Giddeon

Giddeon

Damn just came across this thread, and I love it!!! GREAT post TEX with the different woods and their properties.

I have loved to cook my whole life, and I try to use my BBQ and smoker more than anything. I have done smoked Turkeys for thanksgiving, smoked many beef briskets, all cuts of pork (even have pit roasted a whole pig for a party one time). I guess next time I bust out some cooking worth taking pics of I'll come share. Was going to roast my corned beef brisket for St. Patricks Day but now I might decide to put it in the smoker.

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Brisket from yesterday..

Better late than never.. This is how the bbq went down yesterday. Here's the brisket cut up and it was off the chain great. Man o man.. We had smoked beans and papa salad. :)

A few pics of the burnt ends from the point & slices from the flat. The point & burnt ends are the best part of the whole brisket. Many don't get to see the point due to pit bosses eating it first. So if ya look for brisket get a packer that has the point and the flat together not separated.

Point + Flat=Packer(whole brisket) ;)

IMG 2110
IMG 2111
IMG 2113
IMG 2114
IMG 2115
IMG 2116
IMG 2117
IMG 2118
T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
aww great thread, just noticed it
guna get some pics up next time im back home
my specialty...
bbq baby back ribs with brown sugar rub
smoked for 4-5 hours
about an hour before done, resmother with a layer of glycerine, layer of bbq, and a dusting of brown sugar rub

Hell ya bro.. That sounds good. I love me bb ribs w brown sugar and a good honey bbq glaze, shit, watch out.. :character0029:

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Damn you Tex! Its less than a day later and I already had to toss a brisket on!! lol. Time to show some CO folks what this TX brisket is about! ha.

:D My bad hommie.. It's just been so damn nice here lately bro.. SXSW is goin' on, too. I had to throw up some pics of "T" style bbqs. Fa sho bro, show them cats what is up..! Throw some pics up for me.. Love to peep em out. Maybe my gal & I should move up there and we all start a BBQ restaurant together, maybe another "Salt Lick" ;) Smoke meats and buds.. Sure sounding good to me right about now..

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Ya bro, nothing secret. I'm making it again here shortly with a few changes and will post it up. Basically I get a saucepan, add DP and Honey and sorta reduce it with low heat to a thick glaze. From there I just baste with the glaze peridoically (i do a semi spicy rub to start, so its a nice sweet and spice...goes great with the smoke) . Might add a little butter/oil this time, shall see.

edit- damn if i was really smart, i woulda got some cherry DP! or some cherry Coke. hmm...

Now your talkin' bro.. I'm gonna try it this week. yummm a cherry dp would go hard.. I"m off for Spring Break so it's beach and bbq time. :party0042:

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Damn just came across this thread, and I love it!!! GREAT post TEX with the different woods and their properties.

I have loved to cook my whole life, and I try to use my BBQ and smoker more than anything. I have done smoked Turkeys for thanksgiving, smoked many beef briskets, all cuts of pork (even have pit roasted a whole pig for a party one time). I guess next time I bust out some cooking worth taking pics of I'll come share. Was going to roast my corned beef brisket for St. Patricks Day but now I might decide to put it in the smoker.

Nice hommie, real nice man... I likes to hear smoked turks & hogs, we do it too every year and sell/give them away to family and friends. Turkeys/Chicken are great injected with that Tony Chachere's Creole Butter & Jalapeno Injector Marinade and grilled/smoked/deep fried.. Everything is better on the pit. Roll up a fatty and throw that CBB on the pit. Make a stiff drink and get F' up.. Please post away and love to see some pics..

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
I like that Tex, Im very much over lighting paper. Do you still light the coals in the chimney starter or just torch the pile of coals. I will be picking up a Bernzomatic soon. thanks for the tip
peace and grub

Hey bro.. Short answer is yes & no.. hahaha.. let me c if I can xplain better.

It depends how your smoking & cooking methods are, and what your cooking/amt of time.. :) There are several ways I do it..

When I'm smoking/cookin for 10+hours & using lump coal(I only use lump coal, no briquets here for me). Briquets cause way tooo much ash for long term smoking, once ya go lump ya never go back.. I use a revised minion method in an offset barrel smoker. Anyone can do the same in any pit.. So what I do is fill my firebox with unlit lump coal. I then place 3-5 lit coals only from chimney and dump them on top of the unlit coals at one side or on top(I prefer side), that will allow them to slowly spread and hold your cooking temps for many many hours.

I personally use the torch to initially light the few coals, and when I need to refill the firebox. I pour half the coals in the chimney and light and then pour the remainder over them in the chim, or you can just light the whole thing at once and pour over unlit coals. Also, you can just pour the lump coals over the already burning coals in the pit and open all dampers and it'll light and be fine. Lastly, you can just pour the coal in the pit and light it w the torch all at once, mostly for grilling that way tho. ..Many options for ya..

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

No joke for being cattle county yall have shit for bbq restaurants!!!! I have to send care packages every once in a while or bring it with me when visiting. One reason I wont leave Tejas lol.

Nice thread Tex!! Man as far as wood Oak and Hickory. I use mesquite on my charcoal grill for the quick cook stuff. Seems to be too "woody" for me.

Ribs yum ;)
bbq_1.jpg
bbq_2.jpg

Have to try pork tenderloin stuffed with sausage. Thats the beez kneez!

true grit

true grit

Ya its weird and not too many bbq out here...like bbq bbq, not just grill stuff. I'm used to all day tailgate smoking and smokin! lol. So here was todays fun..almost there...

DSCN2225
C

Cappy

Nice thread Tex. I am an accomplished pit man myself. I use a Lang 60 deluxe, sticks only. Last year we finished up around 367th in the country out of over 5000 teams. ( KCBS)

Good to see other Q folks on this type of a website.
Another month and it will be time to start the comps again.

Good luck to you and your team, hope you have many walks in 2011.

:)

K

King Fresh

Hey bro.. Short answer is yes & no.. hahaha.. let me c if I can xplain better.

It depends how your smoking & cooking methods are, and what your cooking/amt of time.. :) There are several ways I do it..

When I'm smoking/cookin for 10+hours & using lump coal(I only use lump coal, no briquets here for me). Briquets cause way tooo much ash for long term smoking, once ya go lump ya never go back.. I use a revised minion method in an offset barrel smoker. Anyone can do the same in any pit.. So what I do is fill my firebox with unlit lump coal. I then place 3-5 lit coals only from chimney and dump them on top of the unlit coals at one side or on top(I prefer side), that will allow them to slowly spread and hold your cooking temps for many many hours.

I personally use the torch to initially light the few coals, and when I need to refill the firebox. I pour half the coals in the chimney and light and then pour the remainder over them in the chim, or you can just light the whole thing at once and pour over unlit coals. Also, you can just pour the lump coals over the already burning coals in the pit and open all dampers and it'll light and be fine. Lastly, you can just pour the coal in the pit and light it w the torch all at once, mostly for grilling that way tho. ..Many options for ya..

Thanks Tex, well explained. I'm currently doing all my smoking and grilling, direct and indirect on a Weber kettle. I'm a rook when it comes to smoking meat but I am totally hooked on that smoke flavor and thanks for the info

Cheers

T

treehugger

Hey bro, no problemo.. Any wood chips are good. We only use oak, apple, cherry, mesquite, and pecan. Oak is 99.8% of the time.. Apple or cherry is wonderful for pork butt.. Mesquite it good for short term grilling only. Hickory is stronger more bacon-ish, same as pecan, they are in the same family.. Oak is Texas strong and what most people use. Oak is very subtle sweet mild yet smokey. It's considered the "queen" of wood, while hickory is the king. :evilgrin0040:

Wrapping in foil almost steams/braises the meat makes it become very tender, soft and butter like, helps it cook faster and keeps juices in for a bit.

Don't know much about queens, but the long-acknowleged king of smoke-woods is Pecan. Try it in combination with your oak for beef, it's good stuff.

I am of the Texas persuasion of smokers, and the old-timers will tell you that brisket and foil = potroast. I like my beef with bark!

There is no use for sugar in your rub or your mop for that matter - burnt sugar is no ones's idea of good eats. Just like grilled chicken, if you want sugar on your meat, add it in the last stages of the cook.

And finally if you want GREAT barbecue, pair up the Weber Smokey Mountain with the BBQ Guru pit control and you can "set it and forget it". All the info you would need is at virtualweberbullet.com

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Man ive raised barrows and gilts, show cattle, sheep, even one first place at a county fair for one of the smokers i built in the FFA. But in all that time ive just never picked up a taste for ribs and steak. Im a fucking freak born and raised north of dallas and cant stand steak, man. But i will say im fucking obsessed with designing and building smokers. Made a couple 3 barrel smokers and even helped with one made from 3 old huge propane tanks. I love the art and the like artisanship that goes into cooking it, i dig it. But i still really dont like eating it after i cook it.

commense the ass kicking.....

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
No joke for being cattle county yall have shit for bbq restaurants!!!! I have to send care packages every once in a while or bring it with me when visiting. One reason I wont leave Tejas lol.

Nice thread Tex!! Man as far as wood Oak and Hickory. I use mesquite on my charcoal grill for the quick cook stuff. Seems to be too "woody" for me.

Ribs yum ;)
bbq_1.jpg
bbq_2.jpg

Have to try pork tenderloin stuffed with sausage. Thats the beez kneez!

Niceeeeeee!!!! That's how ya do it.. Nice pics.. I agree we use mesquite on fajitas, sausages etc. short term grilling/smokin.. Thanks for sharing w us.. :)

T

Tex

Premium Member
Supporter
Ya its weird and not too many bbq out here...like bbq bbq, not just grill stuff. I'm used to all day tailgate smoking and smokin! lol. So here was todays fun..almost there...

Nice bro.. That looks good as fuk. Bark looks good. Everyone love it? What type of rub did ya use? I'm coming up to eat soon. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom