Been having a few problems

• Thread starter DazedNconfused78
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Reduce the light of a t5?
Yeah see how yellow they are turning... #1 thing to do when you see an issue... reduce the lights. They recover way faster.

It could be because they were soaking and not able to take nutrients up... in turn they can't photosynthesis efficiently anough to use that amount of light. It's not that the light is to intense for a healthy plant... its that it's to much light for the plants in thise conditions.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Just raise the light a little bit, maybe 4 inches. Spray with 1/2 strength nutes. Most of their water/nutes are absorbed through the leaves until they have sufficient roots. Now that they have roots, theyre getting hungry. Start by giving a few drops of nutes to the roots and slightly less spraying, make them start eating from the roots. Until they have a root system they are dependent entirely on what the leaves can absorb. Cutting the tip 25% of the leaves off can help as it is very energy intensive to push nutes all the way to the tips so this helps. It also reduces the surface area that the leaves can absorb light. You wouldnt pump a wet shot of nitrous through direct port injection into an engine that didnt have the intake manifold reinforced, would you? No that much power, before the engine is ready for it will blow it apart. Same deal, too much light gives the young clones more power than they can handle. Once they have roots, i usually move from 5000 lux to 8000 lux and then gradually increase to 35,000 as they grow into full veg. Remember the whole always wanting to do more for them thing. You could add a little h202 to your misting regimen too. It will help to keep things sterile, give the clones extra oxygen and it help control algae buildup. Technically if you see algae its a good thing since its nutrient needs are the same as the plants, it means the food is good. Unfortunately things like fungus gnats and stalk rot also come with it. This is why us hydro growers do everything we can to block light from our growing substrate. No light=no algae. Big day today, the new 4x8 is going up today with a hybrid mix of hortilux hps and LED for flower. Last cycle my best plants were the ones between the HPS and the LED so this time im making a whole tent with alternating HPS and LED. With come 4ft UV lights in there for good measure. 10 minutes in that tent at 100% will give you a sun tan 🤣🤣 im even more interested in your grow now considering you switched to flower on the same day as my wedding anniversary. You watch, now that it has to do with plants, ill have no problem remembering when you flipped to flower, but remembering the day for my anniversary......forget it🤣🤣🤣

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Yeah see how yellow they are turning... #1 thing to do when you see an issue... reduce the lights. They recover way faster.

It could be because they were soaking and not able to take nutrients up... in turn they can't photosynthesis efficiently anough to use that amount of light. It's not that the light is to intense for a healthy plant... its that it's to much light for the plants in thise conditions.
Remember, @DazedNconfudazedn if they are just sitting in liquid, they arent getting any oxygen. If they sit in liquid too long without being aerated, they basically suffocate from lack of O2. Might be why they didnt do so well when you were soaking them? 1 trick that will make the clones explode is to mist them with carbonated water. Just plain sparkling water. It adds A LOT of CO2 to the water/air and the girls love it. Every time i top up my res it gets a shot from the CO2 tank and some h202. I just inject the CO2 into the air intake of my venturi pump, then it sucks in the co2 to aerate the water.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Check out what the clones did. All 8 rooted. This was my first time cloning. I didn't get other pics of the roots. But it was just an experiment so i gave the two best ones to a friend. 1 planet of the grapes and 1 bruce banner. And then i planted 1 of each also in strawberry fields potting soil. And repotted my purple cheese autos. Next week i will acclimate the GDP on the solo cup to the outside and plant it in a clay pot and bring it to my moms. Even if its a male its ok. Its also an experiment to see if i can pick out female seeds. I hade 6 GDP and did 2. The 2nd one had a big dead spot on the round leaf right afyer germination. Since they were free seeds from a bag i threw it out. No loss really. I will not guarantee picking out the right seeds until I'm able to do it way more consistently.

20210606 212719
20210606 210328
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Ive found that if you look at the end of the seed, not the pointy end but the end that was attached to the plant and if it sinks in and looks kinda like the top of a mini volcano, then its been female. But when it has a little bump sticking out it has tu⁷rned out male. Now this is personal experience and even then you still need to watch very closely for those 2 little white hairs

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

How's ya doing brother? Hope all is well.
Hey im good. How you doing friend? As i look at the buckets full of hydroton that need to be cleaned, im reminded why i thought about switching to drip feed with grodan slabs instead. Instead of using my 5 gallon buckets for ebb/flow, i was thinking of 8" grodan blocks and set each row of blocks onto a slab. That way its so much faster and easier to turn over, just toss the blocks and use new ones and jam the drip ring/sprinkler spike in. Instead of standing and staring at 12 x 5 gallon buckets of hydroton that need cleaning and thinking "theres gotta be a better way!). Yeah, im good bro, how about you? 🤣🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey im good. How you doing friend? As i look at the buckets full of hydroton that need to be cleaned, im reminded why i thought about switching to drip feed with grodan slabs instead. Instead of using my 5 gallon buckets for ebb/flow, i was thinking of 8" grodan blocks and set each row of blocks onto a slab. That way its so much faster and easier to turn over, just toss the blocks and use new ones and jam the drip ring/sprinkler spike in. Instead of standing and staring at 12 x 5 gallon buckets of hydroton that need cleaning and thinking "theres gotta be a better way!). Yeah, im good bro, how about you? 🤣🤣
I'm good brother... I just toss a cap of bleach in soak over night then drain and rinse and soak again.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I'm good brother... I just toss a cap of bleach in soak over night then drain and rinse and soak again.
Yeah but i always get worried that some piece of root matter will stuck to some fucking ball somewhere and cultivate a fucking pathogen in my system right around the same time as im asking "hey guys, why does my pH keep crashing?" 🤣🤣 i like making sure nothing gets left behind.. i wonder what the wife would say if i dumped the hydroton in the washing machine?🤣 oooh it'll be noisy as fucking fuck though........i better do it when she's not home. 🤣🤣🤣

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

So @DazedNconfused78 i havent heard anything from you in a while, how goes the grow bro?
I just now got some decent service.
The stretch has started! Holy shit!
Things are going really good with them. In a couple weeks i will get my Ac unit for them and cool these girls down for the rest of flower. And it will keep the res cooler for the rest if the grow.
Thanks to @DreamwalkerJ and @Aqua Man for all the advice and help. Im definitely chilling out with them. I have trimmed so much off these plants. Every week! But not even close to a third of the plant. Next time i am topping at about the 5th node. Instead of th 3rd. I would like the stalks to be a little taller. So i have some room between the bottom of the canopy and the flood table. Better airflow. Ppm and Ec is staying steady or dropping. Dropping mostly. And ph stays just about the same all the time. 6-6.3. When it gets to 6.3 i bring it down with ph down. Its never been too low yet. Oh! And FishSh!t. I started using fishshit instead of sterile. And they love it. Really love it!

20210612 123653
20210612 123646
DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Clones i was rooting in my closet. And i planted 2 also. The planted ones did not have this many roots. Kind of wished I'd waited. But. More time for them to get sick i think. So i planted as soon as it had roots showing. I planted them in strawberry fields.

20210611 153745
DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Ive found that if you look at the end of the seed, not the pointy end but the end that was attached to the plant and if it sinks in and looks kinda like the top of a mini volcano, then its been female. But when it has a little bump sticking out it has tu⁷rned out male. Now this is personal experience and even then you still need to watch very closely for those 2 little white hairs
My plants now are definitely female. Even my random purple cheese autos. Big long hairs.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

I just now got some decent service.
The stretch has started! Holy shit!
Things are going really good with them. In a couple weeks i will get my Ac unit for them and cool these girls down for the rest of flower. And it will keep the res cooler for the rest if the grow.
Thanks to @DreamwalkerJ and @Aqua Man for all the advice and help. Im definitely chilling out with them. I have trimmed so much off these plants. Every week! But not even close to a third of the plant. Next time i am topping at about the 5th node. Instead of th 3rd. I would like the stalks to be a little taller. So i have some room between the bottom of the canopy and the flood table. Better airflow. Ppm and Ec is staying steady or dropping. Dropping mostly. And ph stays just about the same all the time. 6-6.3. When it gets to 6.3 i bring it down with ph down. Its never been too low yet. Oh! And FishSh!t. I started using fishshit instead of sterile. And they love it. Really love it!
Pics do not do these justice. They are tall!

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Why when i turn on more fans does my humidity go up? So frustrating!!

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Why when i turn on more fans does my humidity go up? So frustrating!!
Is the humidity outside the tent higher? Maybe you are drawing it in. Also, air temp greatly affects humidity. When air gets colder your RH goes up because the air is denser and cannot hold as much moisture. So....im guessing the air you suck into the tent is colder than the inside of the tent? If you pull in colder air there will be humidity with it. It takes time to find a balance between fans, dehuey, and light temps. You only want to be exchanging enough air through the tent to remove the heat. Once temps are stable, set your dehumidifier. Easy peasy. If there is enough air circulation to remove the heat, then there should also definitely be enough fresh air for them too. Just keep a small fan oscillating over the plants and your all set.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

I have a dehumidifier running straight into my 4 inch intake fan. The dehumidifier says its 30% rh in the bedroom. But the tent says 52%. Then....I ducted my house ac straight into the tent. The ac in our house is set at 68. And it basically does nothing for the tent. I have it ducted in and then have it positioned above my lights.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I have a dehumidifier running straight into my 4 inch intake fan. The dehumidifier says its 30% rh in the bedroom. But the tent says 52%. Then....I ducted my house ac straight into the tent. The ac in our house is set at 68. And it basically does nothing for the tent. I have it ducted in and then have it positioned above my lights.
But are you doing anything to evacuate the hot air from the tent? The dehumidifier needs to suck in the moist air from inside the tent, remove moisture and then blow it back in. If the intake for the dehumidifier is outside your tent, it is basically doing nothing but adding XX% RH air to the tent.
The way my tents are set up is to have an intake fan draw air in from an external carbon filter ( i have cats so i want my air filtered) and then a seperate fan sucks the hot air from the tent through my HID light hood and oit of the tent through another carbon filter. I have a dehumidifier inside my tent so regardless of how the air changes, the dehumidifier keeps the rh constant. I also have a portable ac so later when it gets hotter, the portable ac goes in the tent and the hot air exhaust ducting patches into my evac fan. Once you get it adjusted it works like a symphony, each piece doing its part to make something freaking magical.. your humidity could also be affected by having the res in the tent, is it covered? At any rate its not that big of an issue considering your target RH for veg should be between 50% - 70% (i prefer the lower end) but for flower youre going to want to get that humidity down to around 40-50%, thats when you really need to monitor it

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

But are you doing anything to evacuate the hot air from the tent? The dehumidifier needs to suck in the moist air from inside the tent, remove moisture and then blow it back in. If the intake for the dehumidifier is outside your tent, it is basically doing nothing but adding XX% RH air to the tent.
The way my tents are set up is to have an intake fan draw air in from an external carbon filter ( i have cats so i want my air filtered) and then a seperate fan sucks the hot air from the tent through my HID light hood and oit of the tent through another carbon filter. I have a dehumidifier inside my tent so regardless of how the air changes, the dehumidifier keeps the rh constant. I also have a portable ac so later when it gets hotter, the portable ac goes in the tent and the hot air exhaust ducting patches into my evac fan. Once you get it adjusted it works like a symphony, each piece doing its part to make something freaking magical.. your humidity could also be affected by having the res in the tent, is it covered? At any rate its not that big of an issue considering your target RH for veg should be between 50% - 70% (i prefer the lower end) but for flower youre going to want to get that humidity down to around 40-50%, thats when you really need to monitor it
Yes. My 6 inch exhaust runs at a 10

Top Bottom