Best products for crystal content increases

• Thread starter kushmaster42
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Wouldn't lowering humidity and dropping temps into the 60s cost you in the yield department. All of the sickest growers I read about use higher humidity. Just wondering did you take a hit in the yield department. Or where you able to get the best of both worlds?
<---- feels he has actually gained on yield from lower temps and humidity due to all my buds being hard as rocks and every thing in the garden is gonna actually weigh somethjng... not only that but the outcome of the weed is retarded quality wise which makes your life way easier and makes sure your name stays good you know. I never actually did a high humidity grow to be able to really tell you for sure but I know I havent lost anything from doing cold temps and low humidity in the last 3 weeks.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Stressing your plants late in flower will increase trichome production, but you will lose a little yield because the plants are putting more energy from photosynthesis into protecting there flowers with oil and using less energy for packing on weight.

High humidity is known for decreasing resin, so low RH and low temps sounds like the best way to increase resin production.

entropy99

entropy99

Lowering temps is the best way IMO. It's simple, effective and cheap.

loudiamond

loudiamond

My personal experience, budswell in liquid form from week2 all the way to flush has transformed my flowers from dank to whole house reeking and week 5 plant looking like most ppl's finished product. Soma(the guy who brought you nycd) swears by it and I stumbled on it by chance and know I will never grow without it. Going by rumor at the shop, it would have to be bloom ooze(stuff is realtime expensive)
They say you apply and 5 days later your plant is covered in bursting trichomes. I find that guano's bring out the best taste in bud. Liquid guanos tend to be bio available as soon as you feed it.

Hope that helps. Plants will always be heathier therefore stinkier and tastier the more quality organics you introduce. I think the trick is to do a fusion of the 2 so that you get the best of both worlds(yield & taste)

More Resin=tastier smellier(strain specific) after all it is the resin that produces the odor and organics help the plant with secondary plant functions such as cannabinoid and terpine production.

Link to my current project. I am gonna be posting the results of my run from seed so that u can see what I'm talking about.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...-grow-show-start-to-finish.52770/#post-969928

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Plants can be just as healthy, stinky and tasty from synthetic nutes. I've seen and tasted it myself.

Its all about dialing in your environment, nutrients and using good genetics.

loudiamond

loudiamond

You may get optimalresults with sythetics, but the proof is in thecannabis cup submissions(which are mostly oragnic submissions). All the great breeders advocate the unparalleled taste and smell from organics, Soma,Sannie, BC Bud Depot, swerve from Cali Connection, Mike from mandala, george cervantes, barneys farm, Mortebel, Dutch Passion, Subcool,the list goes on and on,almost every patient in my meetings(90% to 95%) I can do this all day. It's the yields that sythetics provide that make it desireable. New technology(read my current post) has made the difference negligible. I'll be posting side by sides with patient make reports in the future.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...-grow-show-start-to-finish.52770/#post-969928

loudiamond

loudiamond

Idk know if anyone told you but FF is a mostly organic nutrient company

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Idk know if anyone told you but FF is a mostly organic nutrient company

I also used 100% organic soil (without Fox Farm products) and 100% synthetics in hempy buckets.

I don't trust anything from the Cannabis Cup.....GreenHouse Seeds won more then any seed company in the world. Come on bro, GreenHouse :eek:

Anyways, I like growing with organics and I'm not saying anything negative about it, I just don't want people to read your post and think they NEED to grow organically to get dank ass buds. Good luck on your side by sides.

loudiamond

loudiamond

I wasn't specifically reffering to "cannbis cup" event any cannabis cup events is what I meant.
There are so many of them. Greenhouse seeds is a commercial company did you notice my post does not mention them? While I don't doubt their ability to grow quality meds, I do think their genetics are suspect, low quality genes speak for themselves. I have personally ordered their seeds on a couple of occasions and the results were depressing I agree you will have great results with synthetics administered properly, but the more I expirement with organics th better my results have been getting. I'll have some definitive proof soon.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I use banana manna and swear by it. I does not make your weed tasted like bananas, it's NOTHING like those pineapple rush sweet type products. The only thing I'm certain is in it is IBA/NAA and banana hormones. Not sure what else. Definitely increases tric production and flavor aroma. I don't believe it's a carb source. I also brew teas like a mad dog.

outwest

DEEZILV sf

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I wasn't specifically reffering to "cannbis cup" event any cannabis cup events is what I meant.
There are so many of them. Greenhouse seeds is a commercial company did you notice my post does not mention them? While I don't doubt their ability to grow quality meds, I do think their genetics are suspect, low quality genes speak for themselves. I have personally ordered their seeds on a couple of occasions and the results were depressing I agree you will have great results with synthetics administered properly, but the more I expirement with organics th better my results have been getting. I'll have some definitive proof soon.

I used GreenHouse as an example to show that the cannabis cup doesn't prove anything.

I'm sure your getting great results with organics, but nobody has ever proved organics create more trichomes then synthetics and just because you grow better organically doesn't mean someone else out there can't grow better bud then you with synthetics.

I'm really not tryng to go back and forth, but your telling people your opinion and claiming its fact. If organics were truly better, people in the industry that say organics are of higher quality would of already done rigorous testing with side by sides and have some buds sent to a lab for analysis. So until I see hard facts, I'll stick with synthetics for indoors and keep the organics outdoors.

Honestly bro, how hard is it for someone who is an expert gardener with the resources, to grow multiple side by sides and get it analyed for trichomes, flavanoids, ect. to prove organics are better?? If people can breed amazing strains for decades, I'm sure there are people who can spend a couple years to get some scientific evidence that shows organics being of higher quality through a lab. They won't do it because its highly unlikely.

I'm not discounting organics because they do work great, but until there is actual proof then people are just stating there opinions and experiences, not facts.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I'm not discounting organics because they do work great, but until there is actual proof then people are just stating there opinions and experiences, not facts.

Lex if you would, let me provide you with some FACTS on why organic gardening is BETTER. Better for you, better for your garden, better for the environment. Just plain old fashioned better. Let's push all stoner conjecture aside and let us see what research tells us about organic vs conventional gardening. Pulled this from here:

WHAT REALLY HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE ARTIFICIAL FERTILIZERS

• High nitrogen artificial fertilizers can increase yields in some cases (temporarily) of certain grains, however the amino acid content of the protein is actually adversely affected. For example in wheat and barley grown with synthetic fertilizers are less nutritious even though the total protein weight may be higher since critical amino acids are missing or reduced in quantity as compared to organically grown (USDA Researcher).
  • Synthetic nitrogen fertilizers increase the amounts of toxic nitrates in dietary intake. According to the National Research Council, 6 of the top 7 and 9 of the top 15, foods with oncogenic (cancer causing) risk are produce items with high nitrate content from pesticides or nitrogen fertilizers. A 12 year study comparing organically grown versus chemically grown showed that chemically grown foods had 16 times more nitrate (a carcinogen).
  • Vitamin C content decreases in crops as the use of synthetic nitrogen fertilizers increase (Soil Scientist, USDA).
  • Excess synthetic nitrogen (fertilizers) can also reduce carbohydrate synthesis which results in lower glucose content which affects taste (Soil Scientist, USDA).
  • Artificial synthetic nitrogen (fertilizers) has been found to reduce insect and disease resistance of plants (Soil Scientist, USDA). Numerous studies have now confirmed that the use of artificial fertilizers significantly increase the amount of insects and disease problems one has.
  • Four metals that are considered harmful to humans; aluminum, cadmium, lead and mercury are lower in foods grown organically as compared to those with synthetic chemicals. Doctor's Data Analytical Laboratories.
  • 1) Chemicals not absorbed by the grass can leach into ground-water and pollute the water supply. In time local ponds, streams, and lakes become polluted. 2) Salts accumulate in the soil and can "lock up" water and other nutrients making them unavailable to grass, salt buildup also reduces the soils ability to absorb water and air 3) Fast release chemicals needlessly stress the grass making it more susceptible to insects, disease and injury. 4) Slow-release fertilizers are coated with other materials that can further pollute the soil and environment 5) Thatch greatly increase with the use of synthetic fertilizers since the soil becomes too acidic for earthworms and microorganisms (if the salts have not killed them first) hence they are not available to break down the thatch back into beneficial organic compounds. 6) Chemical burning and browning often occurs if synthetic fertilizers are over applied to grass. 7) Destruction of earthworms and microorganisms leads to a reduced root zone in the soil which means more watering required and additional fertilization required to keep plants green which starts the cycle all over again.
  • Synthetic fertilizers use strong chemical salts used to carry nutrients that create a thatch buildup by killing both microorganisms and earthworms in the soil that eat and breakdown thatch. Thick layers of thatch (high lignin content) create a fertile breeding ground for diseases and destructive insects unlike mulch.
  • As a rule only 30% of the nitrogen (up to 50% for anhydrous forms depending on soil types) and 10-11% of the phosphate applied as a fertilizer is actually used by plants in a best case environment.
  • Excess salts used in synthetic fertilizers cause 2 problems. First, they reduce the moisture holding ability of soils and cause what moisture is present to be bound more tightly to the soil making it harder for plants to absorb. Second, also salt exposure reduces a plants roots ability to absorb water even if the soil is fully saturated. Since most commercial fertilizers are composed of soluble salts (ammonium nitrate, potassium chloride, etc.) and as these salt build up in the soil more water (irrigation) is required, the plants are weaker and more susceptible to insects and disease hence require more pesticides, fungicides, etc.
  • A few common artificial salt based fertilizers.
    NaNO3 - "sodium nitrate or nitrate of soda", contains 16% Nitrogen, very soluble hence leaches easily and pollutes (not good for conifers or hardwoods). NH3NO3 (NH4NO3) - Ammonium nitrate, 33.5% nitrogen (50% in nitrate form & 50% in Ammonium form), highly soluble hence leaches and pollutes lakes and streams. Also flammable and can explode if stored in a closed warehouse. Also absorbs water. Commonly used in nurseries, may also be used as a top dressing, acidifies soil. Kills soil microbes that prevent diseases. (NH4)2SO4 - "ammonium sulfate", source of N and S, can acidify soil, may be used as a top dressing, kills microbes in the soil that prevents disease. CO(NH2)2 - "urea", nitrogen loss by volatilization can be a problem, dissolves rapidly and suffers leaching losses. KNO3 - "potassium Nitrate or nitrate of potash", 13% nitrogen (not good for trees as a N source, may be okay for K), raises soil pH CaNo3 - Calcium nitrate, 15% nitrogen, raises soil pH Anhydrous Ammonia - 82% nitrogen, a particularly lethal form of nitrogen, combines with soil moisture to form colloids that stay in soil, when applied to soils low in humus over 2/3 (67%) can be lost to the atmosphere
  • Most (all) synthetic fertilizers use "fillers" to help carry the nutrients. These fillers are not listed on the label. These can be chemical salts, sand, lime, dolomite, or even (as it was recently discovered) contaminated wastes containing dangerous heavy metals and hazardous wastes. These fillers can often cause problems. For example, if your soil has high magnesium relative to calcium, then using a fertilizer with a dolomitic lime filler will make the soil imbalance worse, resulting in more weeds.
  • Synthetic fertilizers kill the soil microbes that are so essential for healthy soil and healthy plants. The residues from these fertilizers can adversely affect the soil biology for years.
  • If anhydrous ammonia (synthetic fertilizer and a particularly lethal form of nitrogen) is applied to a field low in humus, over 2/3 of the material can be lost to the atmosphere, sometimes before the farmer can move from one end of a field to the other. Acres USA Primer, 1992
  • Many synthetic fertilizers are dangerous to keep around as they can create a condition where spontaneous combustion can occur. They also can be used as a essential ingredient in making explosives (i.e. Oklahoma City Bombing).
  • Labeling laws are misleading. For example they require that nitrogen numbers refer to total N while those for phosphate and potash only tell the amount that will be released in the first year...not the total amount. Hence when one buys an organic fertilizer they are getting a lot more nutrients than shows up on the bag
  • New studies have shown that nitrate from synthetic fertilizers stimulate the germination of weed seeds. In tests of 85 species of weeds it was found that nitrate could replace light requirements for germination, and increase germination under adverse temperatures. Other studies have shown that nitrate increases weed germination rates 11 times higher (3% to 34%). Acres USA February 1997, Harold Willis, Ph.D.
  • Potential Acidity: 406 lbs. calcium carbonate equivalent per ton. – This means 406 lbs. of limestone (CaCO3) are required to offset the acidifying effects of this fertilizer (hidden expense)
Useful References:

An Acres U.S.A. Primer, by Walters and Fenzau
The Rest of The Story...About Agriculture Today, by Dr. Harold Willis
Texas Organic Gardening Book, by Howard Garrett
"The Guide To Organic Fertilizers" by Vicki Mattern, Organic Gardening May/June 1996, p. 55-59
WWW.SEATTLETIMES.COM -A series of investigative reports (copyrighted) by the Seattle Times Newspaper has found that many companies that manufacture synthetic fertilizer add hazardous waste and radioactive waste to their fertilizers. These extremely dangerous wastes then end up in our food supply or in our yards for our children to play in. July-August 1997-1999, Seattle Times Newspaper.
Fateful Harvest, by Duff Wilson, Harper Collins Publisher, ISBN 0-06-019369-7, A history of how hazardous waste is disposed of in synthetic fertilizers and ends up contaminating the food supply of your children and pets.

sky high

sky high

Some of it is certainly genetics. Some plants are just frostier than others.

However, I do think that hittin' them bitches with a strong guano tea (I like 3-11-1)...a few trace mins...and a few other organic goodies at select times during the plant's life assist in bringing on higher levels of trichs and terpenes.

DSC 1753

loudiamond

loudiamond

Anybody hear crickets?

All life has thrived in a delicate balance for hundreds of millions of years all of a sudden man comes along, puts out a whole bunch of disinformation and suddenly biological cells cannot differenciate between organic compounds and sythetic minerals.

There is a reason organics smell and taste better. The plant is healthier and the symbiotic relationship between plant and microbes increases rootmass therefore increasing nuteient uptake and you should be able to fill in the rest.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

No crickets bro, I wasn't online anymore.....Outwest, if you wanna point out minor faults of synthetic nitrogen, like how it leaches into water sources go ahead, but I said I grow organics when outdoors, not indoors. Organic fertilizers also leach into water sources just so you know.

Myth one: Organic farming is good for the environment
The study of Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs) for the UK, sponsored by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, should concern anyone who buys organic. It shows that milk and dairy production is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs). A litre of organic milk requires 80 per cent more land than conventional milk to produce, has 20 per cent greater global warming potential, releases 60 per cent more nutrients to water sources, and contributes 70 per cent more to acid rain.
Also, organically reared cows burp twice as much methane as conventionally reared cattle – and methane is 20 times more powerful a greenhouse gas than CO2. Meat and poultry are the largest agricultural contributors to GHG emissions. LCA assessment counts the energy used to manufacture pesticide for growing cattle feed, but still shows that a kilo of organic beef releases 12 per cent more GHGs, causes twice as much nutrient pollution and more acid rain.
Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) relates food production to: energy required to manufacture artificial fertilisers and pesticides; fossil fuel burnt by farm equipment; nutrient pollution caused by nitrate and phosphate run-off into water courses; release of gases that cause acid rain; and the area of land farmed. A similar review by the University of Hohenheim, Germany, in 2000 reached the same conclusions (Hohenheim is a proponent of organic farming and quoted by the Soil Association).
Myth two: Organic farming is more sustainable
Organic potatoes use less energy in terms of fertiliser production, but need more fossil fuel for ploughing. A hectare of conventionally farmed land produces 2.5 times more potatoes than an organic one.
Heated greenhouse tomatoes in Britain use up to 100 times more energy than those grown in fields in Africa. Organic yield is 75 per cent of conventional tomato crops but takes twice the energy – so the climate consequences of home-grown organic tomatoes exceed those of Kenyan imports.
Defra estimates organic tomato production in the UK releases almost three times the nutrient pollution and uses 25 per cent more water per kg of fruit than normal production. However, a kilogram of wheat takes 1,700 joules (J) of energy to produce, against 2,500J for the same amount of conventional wheat, although nutrient pollution is three times higher for organic.
Myth three: Organic farming doesn't use pesticides
Food scares are always good news for the organic food industry. The Soil Association and other organic farming trade groups say conventional food must be unhealthy because farmers use pesticides. Actually, organic farmers also use pesticides. The difference is that "organic" pesticides are so dangerous that they have been "grandfathered" with current regulations and do not have to pass stringent modern safety tests.
For example, organic farmers can treat fungal diseases with copper solutions. Unlike modern, biodegradable, pesticides copper stays toxic in the soil for ever. The organic insecticide rotenone (in derris) is highly neurotoxic to humans – exposure can cause Parkinson's disease. But none of these "natural" chemicals is a reason not to buy organic food; nor are the man-made chemicals used in conventional farming.
Myth four: Pesticide levels in conventional food are dangerous
The proponents of organic food – particularly celebrities, such as Gwyneth Paltrow, who have jumped on the organic bandwagon – say there is a "cocktail effect" of pesticides. Some point to an "epidemic of cancer". In fact, there is no epidemic of cancer. When age-standardised, cancer rates are falling dramatically and have been doing so for 50 years.
If there is a "cocktail effect" it would first show up in farmers, but they have among the lowest cancer rates of any group. Carcinogenic effects of pesticides could show up as stomach cancer, but stomach cancer rates have fallen faster than any other. Sixty years ago, all Britain's food was organic; we lived only until our early sixties, malnutrition and food poisoning were rife. Now, modern agriculture (including the careful use of well-tested chemicals) makes food cheap and safe and we live into our eighties.
Myth five: Organic food is healthier
To quote Hohenheim University: "No clear conclusions about the quality of organic food can be reached using the results of present literature and research results." What research there is does not support the claims made for organic food.
Large studies in Holland, Denmark and Austria found the food-poisoning bacterium Campylobacter in 100 per cent of organic chicken flocks but only a third of conventional flocks; equal rates of contamination with Salmonella (despite many organic flocks being vaccinated against it); and 72 per cent of organic chickens infected with parasites.
This high level of infection among organic chickens could cross-contaminate non-organic chickens processed on the same production lines. Organic farmers boast that their animals are not routinely treated with antibiotics or (for example) worming medicines. But, as a result, organic animals suffer more diseases. In 2006 an Austrian and Dutch study found that a quarter of organic pigs had pneumonia against 4 per cent of conventionally raised pigs; their piglets died twice as often.
Disease is the major reason why organic animals are only half the weight of conventionally reared animals – so organic farming is not necessarily a boon to animal welfare.
Myth six: Organic food contains more nutrients
The Soil Association points to a few small studies that demonstrate slightly higher concentrations of some nutrients in organic produce – flavonoids in organic tomatoes and omega-3 fatty acids in organic milk, for example.
The easiest way to increase the concentration of nutrients in food is to leave it in an airing cupboard for a few days. Dehydrated foods contain much higher concentrations of carbohydrates and nutrients than whole foods. But, just as in humans, dehydration is often a sign of disease.
The study that found higher flavonoid levels in organic tomatoes revealed them to be the result of stress from lack of nitrogen – the plants stopped making flesh and made defensive chemicals (such as flavonoids) instead.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Notice how the last paragraph says the organic tomatoes had higher flavanoid content due to stress from lack of nitrogen, but not because organic ferts make it taste better which is bullshit.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Lex if you would, let me provide you with some FACTS on why organic gardening is BETTER. Better for you, better for your garden, better for the environment. Just plain old fashioned better.

So is it really BETTER for the environment and HEALTHIER for people????? Still no hard FACTS, all myths.

Top Bottom