Blazing heat, smoke-filled skies, illegal! What could possibly go wrong?

• Thread starter Oldchucky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moshmen

Moshmen

Never thought I would envy firewood but I'd like some for my personal yard pit cooker. I can practically smell hardwood smoke now 😌

I live in the big city and I cant go pick dead tree limbs up.

Also I refuse to pay for a bag that costs more than the wood itself. plus Id need about 6 bags. I don't even want to know how much that wood cost, in the fancy marketing bags.

Not to be cynical but what the heck?!
Up in Michigan it’s about 75$ a pickup truck load - it’s is also so by the cord

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

This won’t get me through the winter, but I’m getting close! And I guess it’s not going to stack itself! Just have to keep looking. Always on the prowl for Freewood! I know a absentee owner that lives in SoCal and has 400 acres up here with lots of dead standing oak. I’m pretty sure he will let me follow them and take them for nothing! Just a gold mine I’ve been looking for! L O L!View attachment 1287602View attachment 1287605 fall them.
Aw, the only heat source that will warm you three times! I’m kinda spoiled, I have a pellet stove. 😊 Oak goes for forty a cord here!

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

L O L! How right you are! There are times when wood was scarce that I wished I had a pellet stove!
I had heated with wood for many years. That’s the main source of income in our area. At least fifty percent of the county works cutting and sawing or at the flooring companies. I added to the comment above, saying oak goes for forty a cord here, that’s cut and delivered and one does their own stacking.
I love the pellet stove! You get that good heat, without the smoke and very few ashes. The downside is you must have a truck capable of hauling a pallet weighing a ton. We burn around four ton a year. The pellets are easily obtained here as it’s a by product from the mills. They average 250.00 a ton. That’s a grand a year to heat a 3000 square foot home, I could not begin to touch that using electric or gas.

sambapati

sambapati

L O L! How right you are! There are times when wood was scarce that I wished I had a pellet stove!
Wouldn't know about heating to often but up north in January rice farmers will gather around a burning fire wearing all their clothes. Should be racked and stacked well covered 2 months before using, more if possible.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I had heated with wood for many years. That’s the main source of income in our area. At least fifty percent of the county works cutting and sawing or at the flooring companies. I added to the comment above, saying oak goes for forty a cord here, that’s cut and delivered and one does their own stacking.
I love the pellet stove! You get that good heat, without the smoke and very few ashes. The downside is you must have a truck capable of hauling a pallet weighing a ton. We burn around four ton a year. The pellets are easily obtained here as it’s a by product from the mills. They average 250.00 a ton. That’s a grand a year to heat a 3000 square foot home, I could not begin to touch that using electric or gas.
Wow! 40 accord, that’s the stuff dreams are made of! No wonder everybody’s moving back there. If I bought it, it would cost me 13 or 1400 a year to heat a 1200 ft.² house that started Off life as a one room school house back in 1933. L O L! It’s is still a mite drafty. And the woodstove isn’t much newer. A big heavy old fisher stove that sucks down would like there’s no tomorrow! But, it’s quiet, no moving parts, doesn’t need electricity, very much bullet proof! And it forces you to get off your ass throughout the year to do the required work to keep it fed. And that is never a bad thing when you get as long in the tooth as sambapati And I are! L O L

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Thanks for that shot across my bow, samba! That was very enjoyable. But I still like your feeble imitation of Neil Young better!😁

AirHammer

AirHammer

GUESS how many grams are trying to escape from the paper bag. The dish is 15 gr, still no sponsors @SpiderFarmerLED Pretty sure Neil Young was sore that his song was in a commercial.
You can bet ol Neil already sent his team of lawyers at them. Neil Young is most adamant when it comes to that stuff.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Wow! 40 accord, that’s the stuff dreams are made of! No wonder everybody’s moving back there. If I bought it, it would cost me 13 or 1400 a year to heat a 1200 ft.² house that started Off life as a one room school house back in 1933. L O L! It’s is still a mite drafty. And the woodstove isn’t much newer. A big heavy old fisher stove that sucks down would like there’s no tomorrow! But, it’s quiet, no moving parts, doesn’t need electricity, very much bullet proof! And it forces you to get off your ass throughout the year to do the required work to keep it fed. And that is never a bad thing when you get as long in the tooth as sambapati And I are! L O L
I had a place like that once. I had a big old Victor stove with a half a cord (or so it seemed) firebox in the basement. It was vented upstairs and fan driven, when the electric worked. Most of the time it presented a different problem, like every window in the house opened in mid Jan.
Even with the pellet stove you still have to feed it.
I pulled a Frankster, decided I wanted to live a pioneer life, and I did for eight long years. It was hard assed work, nothing came easy and was the most peaceful I had ever lived. Not my choice today, but I know I can do it. It also taught me to live with no fear of this world going to chit.
Hmmmm, don’t know why I felt compelled to tell you that but coffee cannabis and a sun filled south porch on a cool fall morn..may have played a part🤪

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I had a place like that once. I had a big old Victor stove with a half a cord (or so it seemed) firebox in the basement. It was vented upstairs and fan driven, when the electric worked. Most of the time it presented a different problem, like every window in the house opened in mid Jan.
Even with the pellet stove you still have to feed it.
I pulled a Frankster, decided I wanted to live a pioneer life, and I did for eight long years. It was hard assed work, nothing came easy and was the most peaceful I had ever lived. Not my choice today, but I know I can do it. It also taught me to live with no fear of this world going to chit.
Hmmmm, don’t know why I felt compelled to tell you that but coffee cannabis and a sun filled south porch on a cool fall morn..may have played a part🤪
😀✌️

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Wood selling for $220 per face cord here. Can't imagine quality stacked face cord of oak for $40...

Unless it's produced by a family of beaver

Half of that $$$ wouldn't cover the cost of gasoline or 2 cycle and bar oil involved... not to mention equipment. Or even minor transport.. truck.. tractor.. trailer or splitter..

Sure 😃 your not taking about 1979? Lol 😆. I call shenanigans

PXL 20221001 013255330

Last edited:
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Wood selling for $220 per face cord here. Can't imagine quality stacked face cord of oak for $40...

Unless it's produced by a family of beaver

Half of that $$$ wouldn't cover the cost of gasoline or 2 cycle and bar oil involved... not to mention equipment. Or even minor transport.. truck.. tractor.. trailer or splitter..

Sure 😃 your not taking about 1979? Lol 😆. I call shenanigans

View attachment 1288211
That’s what it goes for Frankster, I’ve no need to fib about it. Here you can buy a permit to a national forest go in and take anything that is down. Wood is the mainstay of making a living here, mills, flooring companies and fire wood sales, it’s a dime a dozen. By the way, that’s not stacked that’s by the load you must stack yourself, and I’m pretty sure I said that.

sambapati

sambapati

Ozarks firewood LLC...
That’s what it goes for Frankster, I’ve no need to fib about it. Here you can buy a permit to a national forest go in and take anything that is down. Wood is the mainstay of making a living here, mills, flooring companies and fire wood sales, it’s a dime a dozen. By the way, that’s not stacked that’s by the load you must stack yourself, and I’m pretty sure I said that.
Woodn't you know Frankster's gotten himself all in a knot and is barking out loud in disbelief.

AirHammer

AirHammer

I catch that guy's show out in BC, hes a beachcomber. He boats out with his sons finding $10,000 dollar logs. Is this realistic? A part of me thinks its BS otherwise more people would be doing it. Eventually the resources would dwindle. Guess I could be wrong. The waters are vast out there. But like fishing if there is money they will come.

The prices on wood has shot up with among the most. I do a lot of DIY and noticed some of the ply had doubled since before pandemic. Its steadily on the climb.

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Yeah I get it. Lots of stuff to choose from even the rejects from the mills ECT. But you stack and haul then unload and stack it again

Much is similar here for the timber industry also just a much better demand for it seeing Seattle is only 45 min away

It's certainly why I think using paper bags is important. Not just eliminating the plastic and it's impact on the environment. Paper creates rural jobs here in America. Potentially lots of them

The new addition. Doesn't replace Boz but helps no name yet

Just visiting the lumberjack up on the ridge. Got a shattered pelvis multiple broken bones and laceration of the liver had a fifty foot two foot wide tree roll over him. Back is torn up Lucky to be alive he's got a long road ahead of him

That's why I'm careful up here. Everyone else thought that guy was like Superman. Except he finally found some kryptonite hidden in that 🪵
PXL 20221003 015958686

Top Bottom