Blazing heat, smoke-filled skies, illegal! What could possibly go wrong?

• Thread starter Oldchucky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I catch that guy's show out in BC, hes a beachcomber. He boats out with his sons finding $10,000 dollar logs. Is this realistic? A part of me thinks its BS otherwise more people would be doing it. Eventually the resources would dwindle. Guess I could be wrong. The waters are vast out there. But like fishing if there is money they will come.

The prices on wood has shot up with among the most. I do a lot of DIY and noticed some of the ply had doubled since before pandemic. Its steadily on the climb.
Here the most sought after is burl wood and our dark walnut. The walnut is bought by gun manufacturers for gun stocks. Crazy enough, it’s the roots they are after.
Television shows has caused us a lot of probs in this area. A couple of years ago they did one on ginseng. All of a sudden everything was being dug up. Those of us that have dug for years were finding whole patches decimated. Nothing left, and no seeds replanted. They destroyed patches that have grown for hundreds of years. Now, the only patches left takes a mule and some hard traveling to get to.
Building prices shot up here too, but as interest rates rise it is beginning to drop back down.
Wood is the mainstay and most prolific source of money in our area. This too will be a part of our past some day.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Yeah I get it. Lots of stuff to choose from even the rejects from the mills ECT. But you stack and haul then unload and stack it again

Much is similar here for the timber industry also just a much better demand for it seeing Seattle is only 45 min away

It's certainly why I think using paper bags is important. Not just eliminating the plastic and it's impact on the environment. Paper creates rural jobs here in America. Potentially lots of them

The new addition. Doesn't replace Boz but helps no name yet

Just visiting the lumberjack up on the ridge. Got a shattered pelvis multiple broken bones and laceration of the liver had a fifty foot two foot wide tree roll over him. Back is torn up Lucky to be alive he's got a long road ahead of him

That's why I'm careful up here. Everyone else thought that guy was like Superman. Except he finally found some kryptonite hidden in that 🪵View attachment 1288376.
Since you softened my heart with this cat pic and being it was right on the tail of you basically calling me a fibber…I think you should name him Timber!
The closest paper or pulp wood factory is about 120 miles from here, the smell is horrendous. Nothing of the byproducts are wasted all the way down to the dust being used for pellets.
Maybe all of this is why all of our new neighbors are from Cali. What you have quoted as the cost of a cord will almost rent a two bdrm house here. They average 350.00 per month.

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

My mistake. I thought I read something where you said you lived in Marin County for a while. Marin, Missourian, probably didn’t have my specs on. Are you All harvested? Any testing results?
Nope, not me. Completely harvested, new round still in veg as I got a bit lazy!
There are two labs within driving distance from me, the closest is Poplar Bluff it’s a little over a hundred miles one way. The set up they have there only tests up to thirty percent. This Future 1 is touted to run 37-38%, so that means it has to go to the other lab in Dexter, Mo. which has that capability. It’s around 240 miles round trip.
Last Wed. Myself and two of my lady friends made that drive, got down there and their machine was down. Parts ordered, they said back up within two weeks. So week after next, I will be going back again. I will post the results as soon as I get my hands on them. They said testing would take about twenty mins. So I will wait for results. Just another excuse for another Ladies day out. 🙂

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

I catch that guy's show out in BC, hes a beachcomber. He boats out with his sons finding $10,000 dollar logs. Is this realistic? A part of me thinks its BS otherwise more people would be doing it. Eventually the resources would dwindle. Guess I could be wrong. The waters are vast out there. But like fishing if there is money they will come.

The prices on wood has shot up with among the most. I do a lot of DIY and noticed some of the ply had doubled since before pandemic. Its steadily on the climb.
Timber is supposed to be worth four times what it was in 2018 when I had it assessed

Some of the hardwood maple 🍁 I have is rumored to be worth upwards of $30-50k per 🎄 if they want it for making music instruments. Although I would have to helicopter them out.

I get the impression that some of my buried cedars are potentially worth a bunch also if they can be processed. Hand cut shingles go for over $2k per face cord

Absolutely some wood can be valuable. It's heavily dependent on finding a proper buyer

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Here the most sought after is burl wood and our dark walnut. The walnut is bought by gun manufacturers for gun stocks. Crazy enough, it’s the roots they are after.
Television shows has caused us a lot of probs in this area. A couple of years ago they did one on ginseng. All of a sudden everything was being dug up. Those of us that have dug for years were finding whole patches decimated. Nothing left, and no seeds replanted. They destroyed patches that have grown for hundreds of years. Now, the only patches left takes a mule and some hard traveling to get to.
Building prices shot up here too, but as interest rates rise it is beginning to drop back down.
Wood is the mainstay and most prolific source of money in our area. This too will be a part of our past some day.
I think the Ozarks will definitely develop more in the next few years. Certainly in those areas in Missouri where I once lived as a kid. Land prices will rise. Probably the best long term investment these days IMO. So many people are moving off grid and it's entirely feasible these days. Batteries and solar panels

Those areas will always be rural communities but it's certainly changing anywhere it's rural and desirable. The Ozarks should be on the top of the list.

Last edited:
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

I think the Ozarks will definitely develop more in the next few years. Certainly in those areas in Missouri where I once lived as a kid. Land prices will rise. Probably the best long term investment these days IMO. So many people are moving off grid and it's entirely feasible these days. Batteries and solar panels

Those areas will always be rural communities but it's certainly changing anywhere it's rural and desirable. The Ozarks should be on the top of the list.
Most of us that live in my area don’t want those changes. I have seen huge old farms sit empty for years now as the locals refuse to pay the price, yet honestly ppl from Cali are scooping them up finding them dirt cheap compared to Cali prices. Ground here went from 450.00 an acre to 3-4000 per acre.
My closest neighbor is a mile away, he is from Cali and is in shock, food, wood and gas prices.
Of course it has its downsides too. No convenience no close hospitals rough roads and total hell to traverse in the winter time. This whole county one of the largest in Mo only has two ambulances.
Most of us here are fully prepared to live off the grid as we often do in the winter time when the electric goes down.
Still one of those places where everybody knows your name. 🙂

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Most of us that live in my area don’t want those changes. I have seen huge old farms sit empty for years now as the locals refuse to pay the price, yet honestly ppl from Cali are scooping them up finding them dirt cheap compared to Cali prices. Ground here went from 450.00 an acre to 3-4000 per acre.
My closest neighbor is a mile away, he is from Cali and is in shock, food, wood and gas prices.
Of course it has its downsides too. No convenience no close hospitals rough roads and total hell to traverse in the winter time. This whole county one of the largest in Mo only has two ambulances.
Most of us here are fully prepared to live off the grid as we often do in the winter time when the electric goes down.
Still one of those places where everybody knows your name. 🙂
Yeah I lived in Clinton Mo and the parents had a bar 🍺 in a little place called deep water when I was a kid. I'm not surprised land is going up. It's certainly not going backwards from here

The land out here in the 🏔️🏔️🏔️ was dirt cheap even ten years ago. Now everyone wants a place out of the cities.

Drones (delivery service) are going to play a big role in the coming years I suspect and make it even more attractive. Remote work is not going anywhere. A mass exodus from American cities is happening

I think in the end it should be good for most people. More money flowing in those areas will create more opportunities.

Remote medicine 💊💊 is here to stay also. Although you still got to go in for some things

Last edited:
CannaGranny

CannaGranny

Yeah I lived in Clinton Mo and the parents had a bar 🍺 in a little place called deep water when I was a kid. I'm not surprised land is going up. It's certainly not going backwards from here

The land out here in the 🏔️🏔️🏔️ was dirt cheap even ten years ago. Now everyone wants a place out of the cities.

Drones (delivery service) are going to play a big role in the coming years I suspect and make it even more attractive. Remote work is not going anywhere. A mass exodus from American cities is happening

I think in the end it should be good for most people. More money flowing in those areas will create more opportunities.

Remote medicine 💊💊 is here to stay also. Although you still got to go in for some things
Yeah, I agree with everything you said. I even do my mj card via remote Dr.
One of the big changes here also is 60 hwy, one of the main thoroughfares of Mo. has become a four lane at 65 mph versus a winding mtn road that cars backed up on during holidays. That was a big game changer. The two largest cities close to here, Poplar Bluff in the East and Springfield to the West can be quickly accessed. That has increased our pop. a bit.
As for me, they can all stay wherever they are now. I only like ppl when I chose to. Via this forum or being paid large bucks to deal with them 😜

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. I even do my mj card via remote Dr.
One of the big changes here also is 60 hwy, one of the main thoroughfares of Mo. has become a four lane at 65 mph versus a winding mtn road that cars backed up on during holidays. That was a big game changer. The two largest cities close to here, Poplar Bluff in the East and Springfield to the West can be quickly accessed. That has increased our pop. a bit.
As for me, they can all stay wherever they are now. I only like ppl when I chose to. Via this forum or being paid large bucks to deal with them 😜
I have a acquaintance here who is leaving back to Springfield Missouri this week. LeRoy.. (my middle name also) 😆 He's an iron worker who's purchased a few lots in the association and was camping here while he worked

What a pothead. I'm going to miss him around here Gave him a few seeds to bring with him

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Since you softened my heart with this cat pic and being it was right on the tail of you basically calling me a fibber…I think you should name him Timber!
The closest paper or pulp wood factory is about 120 miles from here, the smell is horrendous. Nothing of the byproducts are wasted all the way down to the dust being used for pellets.
Maybe all of this is why all of our new neighbors are from Cali. What you have quoted as the cost of a cord will almost rent a two bdrm house here. They average 350.00 per month.
350 won’t get ya parking where I live

Moshmen

Moshmen

Timber is supposed to be worth four times what it was in 2018 when I had it assessed

Some of the hardwood maple 🍁 I have is rumored to be worth upwards of $30-50k per 🎄 if they want it for making music instruments. Although I would have to helicopter them out.

I get the impression that some of my buried cedars are potentially worth a bunch also if they can be processed. Hand cut shingles go for over $2k per face cord

Absolutely some wood can be valuable. It's heavily dependent on finding a proper buyer
Live oak is top dollar here in Fla

NotFrankster

NotFrankster

Cat looks mellow enough! Weed looks pretty frosty. That oughta stimulate your appetite!
Cat's a fun little friend. I lost my other guy and she's a decent replacement for the 🐀 problems

350 won’t get ya parking where I live
$1800 for our little 700 sq ft cell in Seattle. $350 won't rent a single room with bathroom priveliges. Those go for about $700 or more downtown

Timber is a good name I'll take it under advisement. I was thinking 🤔 dub in memory of Boz

She's clingy 🤣 that's for sure. Currently on my shoulder 🙂. She was like a little rat when I washed her today 😆

PXL 20221004 015658274
Last edited:
Top Bottom