Breeding etiquette , or Just pollen chucking politeness?

• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I saw this and am wondering.... o_O

Thank you very much for the kind words. If you are referring the Fire Alien Master, that is bred by OGRaskal, someone we all know as one of the most solid breeders out there. A friendly word of advice about breeding...if you are planning to release any beans from your Purple Panther Kush x Fire Alien Master hybrid, the ethical thing to do would be to contact OGR and ask his permission to use that male pollen in your hybrid. He is a really nice cat...just a suggestion. He's not around here anymore, but can be contacted through a number of other sites. If you would like details, shoot me a PM.

I see a lot of people chucking pollen without permission from the original breeders, which is why I bring this up. Ethics are extremely important in this industry, especially if we're going to maintain any type of strain integrity 25 years from now...

Best of luck to you with whatever genetic work you do!

Cheers,
A

in your opinion, even if youre just chuckin pollen to make some beans for yourself and some friends you should still ask permission of the breeders that bred the strains you are using?

or just if you sell them for profit?

just curious to what the common rules are for these certain things, i know for sure if you make beans for profit then 100% without a doubt you should ask permission. but i guess if youre making beans for yourself it is still the ethical thing to do to ask persmission.

EDIT: i looked back and saw you said "if you plan to release..." in that case yes for sure ask permission and you are right, a lot of people arent which is not a nice thing to do.. especially when the breeders are probably cool dudes that wouldnt have a problem anyway.. but people are just putting stuff out and not even giving credit, not even a mention of the breeder lol.

or breeding with testers lmaoo some people.

Alien is saying if you plan to release crosses made from other breeders work to ask said breeder for permission to do so first. I can say that anyone with genetics worthy of really breeding knows the ethics behind working projects. Back in the day when I started breeding I can honestly say I didn't understand some of the ethics behind the whole seed making biz but over the years of endless selection and taking the time and space to do some of my projects I realized how much work it truly is to make killer beans and those people that go thru all the work deserve to be asked if you are able to use there work in your own projects.
Sorry to go off topic A, just had to throw my opinion in there. ~Smf~

Im going to be chucking some pollen...just for fun and personal beans if SHTF someday...
But what if some day years later... I pop one of those beans..and it's bomb.. but I didnt ask permission cause I was just playin....is that when I need to ask?...or do I need to ask now before I chuck any?

symbiote420

symbiote420

It's believe it's only right that you ask permission, but realistically:
1) As long as you give props to the breeder it should be cool, don't be changing the name of the strain(s) like I know is going on with half the breeders out there....we're gonna need Maury in the future!
2) If I buy a pack of seeds I feel like they are mine to do whatever I choose to do with em whether it's burn, crush, grow, or give em away!
3) Every breeder needs to start somewhere bros.....nobody's really pulling strains outta their asses nowadays
* Look at all the clone only strains in circulation today......they were someone's work right? Afghan, Skunk, etc.....look at Chemdog, I see tons of crosses out there and I don't believe all peeps using it asked him for his permission at all...I'm just saying!!!

?) What if I have stock from breeders who aren't in the game anymore, how would one go about using their gear if I can't reach them for permission?

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
* Look at all the clone only strains in circulation today......they were someone's work right? Afghan, Skunk, etc.....look at Chemdog, I see tons of crosses out there and I don't believe all peeps using it asked him for his permission at all...I'm just saying!!!

That's a funny example, since as far as I know Chemdog is guilty of that very thing- muddying the history by naming a strain after himself that he didn't breed. Not that I know if he named it, or people who he was sharing it with maybe named it such as a reference of where it came from. Whatever..

I like to offer the breeder a selection of any seed I make based on their work, if that breeder expresses interest of course.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Props and proper name labeling is all that is necessary in my book. If you got a pack of seeds from something I did (mind you I am no world class breeder) I would think that whatever comes out of there you are entitled to use......and of course name your own offspring as well I personally would just like props on the parent. That is me though, I really can't imagine the bigger guys getting all that bummed on it.....I mean can you imagine if everyone contacted Neville before fucking with one of his strains? Holy shit!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
thanks for the replies guys :) I have huge respect for the breeders here... And would love "permission" from them.
I only just started growing...I dont plan on selling seeds for at least 4 or 5 years...lol

And Of cource I would give full credit to breeders on both side of the cross, if I ever found something worthy

I have Purpleberry BX pollen (cannaventure)
I want to make Purple Ewok and Purple Rock candy...
So I might need both Canna's and Alien's blessing those;)
I also have Ewok and Rock candy pollen so, I will make personal F2's for years of future crops.
And wanna throw some Ewok pollen at my Jillybean and see what happpens....
and I have Stuff from Garden of Dreams seed Co.....may have to check with them too.

I think I have the right...but still dont wanna ruffle feathers or break unwriten rules..
Good karma to all.. :)

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter

thanks for the replies guys :) I have huge respect for the breeders here... And would love "permission" from them.
I only just started growing...I dont plan on selling seeds for at least 4 or 5 years...lol

And Of cource I would give full credit to breeders on both side of the cross, if I ever found something worthy

I have Purpleberry BX pollen (cannaventure)
I want to make Purple Ewok and Purple Rock candy...
So I might need both Canna's and Alien's blessing those;)
I also have Ewok and Rock candy pollen so, I will make personal F2's for years of future crops.
And wanna throw some Ewok pollen at my Jillybean and see what happpens....
and I have Stuff from Garden of Dreams seed Co.....may have to check with them too.

I think I have the right...but still dont wanna ruffle feathers or break unwriten rules..
Good karma to all.. :)

Cross them to your Himalayan- world of variation to work with in those 4 to 5 years

sky high

sky high

Good points, natural. Many of the seeds we see today have origins that are not stated/documented whatsoever by the breeder selling them today. Some breeders will try to set rules about what they say can/cannot be done with >their< genetics....but you certainly don't see the same breeders giving credit where credit is due to those peeps who first bred the stock they now claim as their own.

Part of this is that the names and faces change like underwear in the seed biz...

part of it is that many of the current crop just weren't in the scene 15-20+ years ago to know WHO to credit or got the stock from someone else who failed to give proper credit (other than to themselves in many cases)....

and a bunch of it is that there's just no glory in telling folks that someone else had their hand in the mix before you did when yer trying to make bank on the latest/greatest fad strain that just hit the High Times centerfold.

the current crop of "kushes" are the best example out there that I can think of there where credit to those who went before is non-existent or where credit only goes back to one or two growers who supposedly "found" the genetics. Very few, if any of the folks who worked the stock in the past that many breeders claim as their own today get any credit...or often times credit is given to someone else who merely held the genetics for a time...like Ghost..or katsu for example. (and Larry..can't forget Larry!)

it's a tangled web.....getting more tangled daily because folks keep renaming strains like they are action figures or toys and listing only what THEY crossed as the genetics rather than listing the lineage of the seed itself.

great topic......

s h

A

Alien

Supporter
Great thread Ken. Lots of good posts in here.

As far as any of my gear goes, anyone who has it has my blessing to do whatever they would like with it. I'll be stoked to see what you come up with brother! If you would ever like any advice on choosing phenos/males, etc, just drop me a PM. Happy to help.

Sky High and Symbiote also make very good points by saying that genetic integrity needs to be maintained in keeping original strain names. The rename game can ruin the industry quickly. If we're going to have any sort of idea what is what in the department of genetics in...30 years from now...it is crucial to keep the lineage correct.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Cheers all,
A

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
Nobody owns this plant, make all the hybrids you can and pass them around to everyone. The good breeders will stay on top and keep the not so good working to get better.

So because we can't actually "own" our genetics that we create you think it's just a free for all eh??? I just read your thread https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...n-kush-x-pre98-bubba-x-jack-the-ripper.42878/ and it appears that you'll be selling gear at another site. Said gear has parents from one breeder in particular that I know for a fact you didn't get permission from. I find this to be extremely disrespectful and unethical to say the least but hey I'm old school...:cool:

fractal

fractal

Kind of a grey area for sure . . . if you ask and they say no, I would say well at least you asked, go for it. That was funny a few years ago when Chemdog got in trouble and posted that he wanted donations from everybody who ever grew a Chemdog clone, retroactively because he needed money. That was pretty cringe-worthy. I don't really know what side of the fence I'm on with this debate. . .Strains are so unique that even using someone else's to breed with is not going to result in anything remotely identical to the parent plants. If you use the same mother and father plants that's one thing but using one established variety with another unique one to create something that is half resulting from the original strain I don't see what the big deal is. If your creation is indeed dank as hell and stands on its own merits, no knock-off is going to be able to duplicate it and you shouldn't really be worried. Let the marketplace decide if they want to punish a breeder for using others' work by not buying their seeds.

B

bckwht

I don't want to cross any lines but this is redic..I love this site for most reasons but I can't stand it when dick measuring contests go on time n time again...me even posting about this is almost as big of waste as people trying to argue over who they are or who they kno in the bizz..ethics are just that, everyone will view them differently and when we see talking about a somewhat underground business, well wtf do u expect?

I'm not on anyone's side in these debates bc on one hand I respect breeders who put in there time BUT in all reality, 9 outta 10 breeders have no idea where there shit is from..for example many clone only cuts are "unknown" and that's bullshit but it's way easier to just take the clone and breed as oppose to finding the lineage..believe me I'm not knocking anyone at all on purpose but I don't agree w breeders laying total claim to seeds when they themselves breed w og, chem and other rare clones bc I havnt once seen where someone listed the exact genetic lineage to Mannny og, bubba, etc clones but hey they breed the living shit out of urkle, Djs bb, og, chem, 10million kushes, diesels and all the goodies with the only description being " east coast clone" or something vague

I guess in short, all I'm saying is that to lay claim to the mj plant is pretty retarded bc if it were really for medicine then who would care which cool cat it came from..thats strictly a monetary outlook on the plant

Mj rules and I love this site and everyone who participated but man it's so true that money ruins everything

green punk

green punk

Ok... So how about this. A person buys a well known breeders one off hybrid, that is never going to be reproduced. That person finds killer phenos both male and female. They then make F2s and so on and even make to the point its an inbreed line and even a bX or 2 or three in there to narrow the phenos. All the while maintaining the original strain name. After 3 or so years who's work is it really at that point? Is it the well known breeder of the one off or the guy who bought the one off seeds and still uses the strain name?

A

Alien

Supporter
Levine

Levine2

Silence2

Ted levine l

Tumblr ltt7etEWry1qex560o3 250

Latest posts

Top Bottom