• Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
P6 F2 swanBud
P6 F2 swanBud2
P6 F2 swanBud3

It's getting more and more likely that I'll use the nr 22, swan, as the mom for the F3. AAO is almost done, but didn't fill up as nicely as is too dark, to sensitive even for my low ppm regime.

Unless... unless one of the others except nr 23 and 20 just happens to taste much better and/or has a much better effect. The ones in the tubes are all turning out great except the tallest, 23, which doesn't make up for it's size in yield. Nr 20 is just too much like the Chunk. Two of the plants in hempy bottles are too much like the CH, the others in hempy just not as good as the ones in tubes. Only AAO has a different bud structure, more indica, zero haze influence, easy to trim, but not my goal, which is pretty much depicted in the photo above.

The new batch, the CHxCH:
THe38 2

Frostseedling

Frostseedling3

All dicots.

The triwhorled female I found and topped to clone has, unlike the triwhorled male I topped to clone, not as many branches (perhaps not yet...) that are triwhorled too, but.... one branch is a quad. I seem to have damaged one of the four leaves, looks like next node will still be a quad so will take a picture soon. I actually don't think it makes here a better candidate. Rather have 6 triwhorled branches than 1, and 1 quad, and the rest normal.

alligator

alligator

@Sativied

You mentioned this:

"The same genes are also responsible for root development. This raises two questions, can I spot the tris faster by looking at roots, and do the plethora family of genes follow mendels simple rules of inheritance. "

What would you be looking for in the roots?
Remember when I mentioned my big whorled throws 2 main tap roots- could this be a marker?

As for strains that exhibit it- mine is archives Chemdog 91 x face off og. Afaik- it's not a known Chemdog 91 trait, so I'm guessing it comes from the face off thing. I'm about to drop another face off cross (SoCal catpiss x FO og), I'll def report back if I find any WP phenos in it.
Could just be the exact combo of the 2 strains.. As in maybe the FO brings it out of C91, or vice versa.

(And thanks for bringing up that book 'The molecular life of plants'. I'm ordering it today.)

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
What would you be looking for in the roots?
In one word: divergence. Basically anything that deviates from the regulars. I'm pretty sure there IS a difference, but not so sure it's obviously enough to notice in an earlier stage than the WP top side. The same difference may be caused for other reasons (nutrient regime for example) as well.

The same major factors that plays a role in WP, auxins, plays a large role in plant structure (apical dominance) which affects both the plant above the ground sort of speak, and the roots. I avoid spaghetti roots and prefer fish bones for example. One with an excessive amount of thick bones NOT neatly arranged would grab my attention for example.

Remember when I mentioned my big whorled throws 2 main tap roots- could this be a marker?
Having a double taproot seems way more rare than WP but yeah that would be one to grow out for me. Are you sure it's an additional tap root? If you sort of top or bend the roots (I.e. if the tap grew sideways, or broke off very early) you can get two or more main roots as well.

I won't be able to test or observe roots well enough this next round cause I'm going to do a round on soil.

Could just be the exact combo of the 2 strains..
Yes that is very possible. It may be the result of multiple heterozygous gene combinations, which technically makes it impossible to breed true. Similar with certain taste/smell combinations and true F1 hybrids, I may at some point have to keep THE two parent plants to result in triwhorled consistently. I hope that's not the case but cannot exclude the possibility for a long time. Being that they vary in when they start whorling and how much, it's also possible there are whorlers by genotype that simply don't express the wp phenotype.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
That Swan is something else, beautiful plant!
Thanks man, she's still my favorite.

I will likely grow out F3 from multiple females. Zero from the AAO (smells too dark, not fruity pine, too sensitive for nutrients). Zero from nr 23 (tallest stems, smallest buds). Most from the swan.
P6 F2 swanBud4

P6-19-F2. She's the most frosty and one of the fastest flowering. Not the biggest yielder, but was replacement of a male in the tubes so had less veg time. Almost done. Little over 8 weeks 12/12.
P6 F2 19 frostbud2

Nr x, lost label and not numbered because I excluded it from the selection early. It's stretched too much. But... she's also nearly ready.

P6 F2 x done1

^^Main bud site, will take a pic of the stem after harvest, it stretched to close to the HPS bulb hence the heat stress. Hasn't really bothered it though.

Another bud, same plant. Could have had way more nutes, N+Ca in particular, but not without darkening the AAO and swan too much so this one got the short straw.
P6 F2 x done2

P6 F2 20 bud

One thing I'm really happy with is that I ended up with the desired bud structure on most plants. Not golf balls (like the AAO), not complete hazy foxtail buds, but a mix.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I got a breeders question for you guys. When I read about inbreeding backcrossing or pure breeding, writer implies that you lose potency and vigor. My question is will I lose potency or vigor if I back cross so many times or inbreeding to tight? Keep in mInd I select for vigor and potency also but will my pool get smaller?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Thanks man, she's still my favorite.

I will likely grow out F3 from multiple females. Zero from the AAO (smells too dark, not fruity pine, too sensitive for nutrients). Zero from nr 23 (tallest stems, smallest buds). Most from the swan.
View attachment 459412

P6-19-F2. She's the most frosty and one of the fastest flowering. Not the biggest yielder, but was replacement of a male in the tubes so had less veg time. Almost done. Little over 8 weeks 12/12.
View attachment 459408

Nr x, lost label and not numbered because I excluded it from the selection early. It's stretched too much. But... she's also nearly ready.

View attachment 459410
^^Main bud site, will take a pic of the stem after harvest, it stretched to close to the HPS bulb hence the heat stress. Hasn't really bothered it though.

Another bud, same plant. Could have had way more nutes, N+Ca in particular, but not without darkening the AAO and swan too much so this one got the short straw.
View attachment 459409

View attachment 459411

One thing I'm really happy with is that I ended up with the desired bud structure on most plants. Not golf balls (like the AAO), not complete hazy foxtail buds, but a mix.
AAAAA+ MEDs right there. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
AAAAA+ MEDs right there. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing
Thanks for the compliment man.

I got a breeders question for you guys. When I read about inbreeding backcrossing or pure breeding, writer implies that you lose potency and vigor. My question is will I lose potency or vigor if I back cross so many times or inbreeding to tight? Keep in mInd I select for vigor and potency also but will my pool get smaller?
Good question and I'd be happy to share my thoughts on that extensively... I just got back from Amsterdam and high as a kite on lemon haze+temple balls+white russian+NL#5/Haze so will do that tomorrow :)

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I got a breeders question for you guys. When I read about inbreeding backcrossing or pure breeding, writer implies that you lose potency and vigor.
Writer is by itself, generally speaking, correct. With back crossing one can cross multiple plants back to the recurrent parent, basically select the best (potency and vigor) AND most suitable (genes/genotypes) every round, so that's a bit of a special case, but when it comes to pure line breeding in general, i.e. creating a true bred IBL, breeding true aka locking traits in, that is is essentially done by breeding other genes out.

If you breed the hypothetical simple genotypes AaBbCCDdeeFf true, for example: AABBCCddeeFF you basically remove the a, b, D, and f genes from the pool.

Creating feminized seeds is actually a good example of breeding a trait true. You map a phenotype/trait (female sex) to a genotype (XX), and cross two XX (homozygous for X) to get XX in all offspring, and not XY (male, heterozygous). You essentially breed Y out by crossing XX with XX, while obviously that Y gene has functions too.

That's desirable for the traits of which you want to breed the genotypes true, but, there's also GgHhIiJjVvZz (for example) and many other "heterozygous" genotypes you don't see or can't observe as easily. For example things like bud rot resistance, or stress resistance, or Zz might just be the specific gene combi partly responsible for its vigor (very possible actually, being that hybrid vigor IS the result of heterozygous genotypes).

That's, amongst others, why a large plant count (to select individual plants from) is important. The more plants you grow from each generation, the higher the chances to being able to select plants with the desired genotypes AND are vigorous and potent and the less chances you will encounter breeding depression.

My question is will I lose potency or vigor if I back cross so many times or inbreeding to tight? Keep in mInd I select for vigor and potency also but will my pool get smaller?
In practice, that depends on several factors. How many plants you select from, how many plants you pollinate with each other, and above all which plants. Inbreeding to a next generation by itself has as few benefits as it has downsides. It's the genetics make up of the parents that matters (unless you keep breeding in for mutations or recombination). An F6 is not necessarily more stable/homozygous than F3 (think auto flowering genes..., or better photo flowering genes in a cross with auto genes in it), and an F20 doesn't have to suffer from inbreeding depression (which is the result of breeding out genes) by default.

To breed that hypothetical simple genotypes example AaBbCCDdeeFf true, into for example, AABBCCddeeFF, you need to find and cross two plants in which that is the case already (2 homozygous parents create 1 homozygous line, consistently, generation after generation). Unless you grow out a huge amount of plants, you won't likely find such plants in F2 already (because of Mendel's second law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendelian_inheritance ) And if you are so lucky to find the ideal plants (in which you suspect or know a trait is homozygous) they may not be the most vigorous and potent.

Selecting the best of the best should really mean selecting the best of the best when it comes to potency, vigor AND genotypes. Only a large plant count to select from will give that luxury. Some generations you may just be able to lock 1 trait in, or even less... while at the same time, unknowingly you likely breed genes out. Eventually good ones too, or ones that may have been of good use later on.

Farmers, and breeders especially pre modern plant breeding, do the opposite of creating a pure line to avoid inbreeding depression, they cross many different plants with each other to keep a population heterozygous to ensure it's survival by keeping it's gene pool wide. They still select the offspring from the best plants of course. For some crops wild ancestors are sometimes added deliberately to widen the genepool (which in practice means more heterozygous genotypes, and less homozygous, thus less bred true /pure line).

For increasing potency, yield, vigor and other general features that are determined by many different genes, the oldskool method is best, basically recurrent selection (hunt for the best phenos every round) is sort of like the brute force method. Effective, but not precise. It's what the pioneers HAD to do, to domesticate and acclimatize amongst others.

For breeding specific traits true (taste, smell, color, apical dominance, anything of interest to the breeder who set the goals for that specific breeding project), it should generally be done in as few generations as possible.

Inbreeding depression is not from some weird mutation from mating with relatives like Wrong Turn movies may imply, it's from breeding out good genes. It's literally, unnatural. It goes against nature's way to ensure variation in and between species and hence their survival.

The easiest efficient method is selfing a population (s2 and on should be a population, not a line from 1 plant). Every generation the population will be 50% less heterozygous (because heterozygous x heterozygous leads to 25% AA, 50% Aa, 25% aa, i.e. 50% homozygous and 50% heterozygous). This is also the fastest way to run into inbreeding depression as it will reduce heterozygosity for all genes, not just the ones for the traits you want to breed true.

The are very good reasons to do so though. The obvious is uniformity and to save that in seed form.

Once you have two homozygous IBLs and cross those, you get a lot of heterozygous genotypes again (uniform for growing), and you sort of undo the inbreeding and CAN, additionally, get more than the best of both. The other is what enabled us to create enough food to be for us all to survive on this planet: F1 hybrids that express hybrid vigor.

Probably a bit more than you asked for... not trying to be the all knowing smart ass on the matter, writing it out does a lot for organizing my thoughts.

zeke

zeke

I've been digging whorled phyllotaxy as long as I can remember. I've always been attracted to the idea of increased yields through extra nodes. Found a three leaved seedling in one of my first runs. Noticed it because it was different and was the pot equivalent of a four leaf clover. Once I started making crosses I noticed one every now and again. Once I found one that was very good and used it as a parental. I did not find any increase in whorled individuals. Surely you are doing whorled on whorled matings. I haven't made it that far. Have you found an increase in whorled progeny from this whorled on whorled action? If not, what are your theories on why that is? Is this some kind of gene malfunction rather than an inherited trait? Down syndrome for plants type of stuff perhaps?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Found a three leaved seedling in one of my first runs. Noticed it because it was different and was the pot equivalent of a four leaf clover.
A Cannabis TriCot looks almost exactly like little Trifolium clover leaf--
a QuadCot looks almost exactly like a little four leaf clover...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
- INTELLIGENCE ALERT -

INVESTIGATORS SEIZE THREE-LEAFED CANNABIS PLANTS
IN BEEKMANTOWN, NEW YORK

[From the NDIC Narcotics Digest Weekly 2004;3(37):2
Unclassified, Reprinted with Permission.]

On August 24, 2004, investigators from the Adirondack Drug Task Force seized 13 cannabis plants that had three-fingered leaves instead of the traditional five. Investigators found the plants in a Beekmantown (Clinton County) field growing in crates that were concealed among blackberry bushes. The plants were approximately 4 feet tall, and buds were developing on many of the plants.

Investigators found the plants after an individual provided them with a tip.
No arrests were made at the time of the seizure, and the plants have not been analyzed in a laboratory. Task force investigators report that over the past 3 to 4 years there have been several seizures in Clinton County of three-fingered leaf cannabis plants as well as one seizure of single-fingered leaf cannabis plants.

Agencies participating in the Adirondack Drug Task Force include the Clinton County Sheriff's Depart ment, Plattsburgh Police Department, New York
State Police, DEA, and U.S. Border Patrol (USBP).

NDIC Comment: Traditionally, cannabis plants are thought of as having five leaves; however, the number of leaves on a cannabis plant can vary (although it usually has an odd number of leaves such as three or seven). This seizure follows a widely publicized April 2004 seizure of four immature cannabis plants with three-finge red leaves from an indoor grow in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The plants seized in Thunder Bay were atypical in appearance, however, having twig-like stalks and broad, rounded leaves, which led to reports of the discovery of a new strain of cannabis. What may be more likely in both of these seizures is that it is an unintentional occurrence of whorled phyllotaxy. In botany, leaf phyllotaxy describes how leaves are arranged on a stem and in relation to one another.

Whorled phyllotaxy means three or more leaves at one node of a stem. Information gained through online canvassing reveals that this may be a somewhat common occurrence when growing cannabis. The limited information also suggests that whorled phyllotaxy occurred in plants cultivated from clones of normal plants, and many incidents involved indica varieties, which typically have broader leaves than sativa varieties.

Whether whorled phyllotaxy has an effect on plant yield or potency is uncertain. Some growers hopefully suggest that the THC levels of such plants will be higher, while others report that this leaf arrangement previously manifested in plants found to be inferior or male (no buds).

The plants seized in Thunder Bay had not yet developed buds and tested at only 1.8 to 2.6 percent THC.

MICROGRAM BULLETIN, VOL. XXXVII, NO. 10, OCTOBER 2004 Page 18183--

Toaster79

Toaster79

Here's my triwhorled cut of Dinafem Moby Dick. Perfect triwhorled phyllotaxy top to bottom.

20141122 190523

20141122 190412

Looking at a bud on a stick :D

One day shy of three weeks in flower with a slight delay compared to mother plant.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Surely you are doing whorled on whorled matings. [...] Have you found an increase in whorled progeny from this whorled on whorled action?
Yes, and yes. I didn't plan on going for whorled phyllotaxy, it's actually the increase in ratio, the confirmation that it inherited, that motivated me to do so. I remember joking about it with someone after I used the pollen of that quad male, saying it would be one-in-a-million chance I'd get any female with tri-whorled.

I originally crossed a quad (some quad whorled and some tri-whorled branches) with a regular opposite phyllotaxy sibling and three other regular opposite phyllotaxy strains. In 3 of the 4 crosses there are whorlers, but only grew out 2 of the non-whorling cross so might contain plenty of whorlers too.

what are your theories
I have a lot of theories but still in the process of finding out whether they hold true. At this point nothing new than the many I posted in this thread. I know it's long, but so would me be repeating that :) After creating the F1 of those 4 crosses I first did a run to see which of the 3 outcrosses I wanted to work on. I had some major light leaks, RH around 60-70, so had some nanners and bud rot. One, P6, was too good to not go ahead and create and F2 from. That cross, which I still call P, I'm starting to harvest the F2 plants and F3 seeds from, is basically a non-whorling line (although not completely bred out yet). I'm starting a new round of CH(reg)xCH(quad) to focus on the wp project again.

this some kind of gene malfunction rather than an inherited trait? Down syndrome for plants type of stuff perhaps?
Hehe no, nothing like that. Almost all traits/feature/function of EVERY living organism on the planet has started out as a mutation (watch the new Cosmos if that sounds controversial, it's what evolution is about, which is no theory, but fact as Neil Degrasse explains so nicely.)A mutation in the DNA is typically inheritable because it's the DNA that is inherited. In evolution the traits that prove to be useful for survival are passed on (those who don't have the trait die or don't get to mate or produce less seeds). For example, cannabis creates trichomes because one of its ancestors mutated in doing so. That proved to be useful for its survival, those without the mutation got eaten by bugs and animals. That's obviously a simplified example take, but is what it comes down to. For another example, look up why polar bears are white.

That took evolution a very very long time to breed in by natural selection. My job, or hobby in my case, is to speed that part up by artificial selection. I still leave the mutating to nature, which contrary to common misconception occur in a very short time.

The male gives one half of the chromosomes, the female the other half (that's what punnet squares are based on). The DNA is basically separated in two and only one half is passed on. Down syndrome is the result of getting an extra chromosome, also known as trisomy 21, because that chromosome doesn't split in half, it's passed on entirely. Down syndrome is inheritable too (50% chance a female DS passes it on).

The same thing (different phyllotaxy) happened in many other plant species. In some of those, those that are better mapped than cannabis, the genes responsible for whorled phyllotaxy are already know. They always point to a different auxin regulation. Actually, if you search for 'auxin' in this thread specifically it should result in the posts with my theories about what causes wp.

To make a bridge to the punnet stuff in the 50 strains thread, like I said, as essential punnet and mendel's tools are, they don't always hold true in practice. One type of genes that don't always follow Mendel's simple rules of inheritance (i.e. where punnet outcomes aren't necessarily reality) are regulator genes.

Regulator genes can either initiate or block the expression of other genes. They control the production of a variety of chemicals in plants and animals. For instance, the time of production of specific proteins that will be new structural parts of our bodies can be controlled by such regulator genes. Shortly after conception, regulator genes work as master switches orchestrating the timely development of our body parts. They are also responsible for changes that occur in our bodies as we grow older. In other words, they control the maturation and aging processes. Regulator genes that are involved in subdividing an embryo into what will become the major body parts of an individual are also referred to as homeotic , homeobox , or Hox genes. They are responsible for setting generalized cells on the path to become a head, torso, arms, legs, etc.
( src: )

I've always been attracted to the idea of increased yields through extra nodes
Increased yield per plant is not part of my motivation. Yield is (for me thanks to canopy control) primarily limited by space and light and time. It's the latter where I see the benefit. Not during flowering, cause reducing the flower time further (than the 8-9 weeks) seems to come at a too high cost when it comes to yield, but during veg. They produce more branches and more leaves and since plants grow at an exponential rate that shave a few days of my veg time (days not weeks, but I only veg for a few weeks so...).

Mutation:
A change in a DNA sequence, usually occurring because of errors in replication or repair. Mutation is the ultimate source of genetic variation. Changes in the composition of a genome due to recombination alone are not considered mutations since recombination alone just changes which genes are united in the same genome but does not alter the sequence of those genes. For a more detailed explanation, see our resource on mutation in Evolution 101.

Without mutations, all cannabis plants would taste the same... actually, they wouldn't even exist. Without new mutations, we'd be remixing the same old gene pool over and over. Fortunately, that's not how it works.

And since I'm at it, let me stress that my project has nothing to do with the term "mutation breeding", which refers to using unnatural methods to induce the mutation. Which then still has to be bred stable.

This following excerpt sums it up nicely, the first sentence already.

Natural selection leads to the adaptation of species over time, but the process does not involve effort, trying, or wanting. Natural selection naturally results from genetic variation in a population and the fact that some of those variants may be able to leave more offspring in the next generation than other variants. That genetic variation is generated by random mutation — a process that is unaffected by what organisms in the population want or what they are "trying" to do. Either an individual has genes that are good enough to survive and reproduce, or it does not; it can't get the right genes by "trying." For example bacteria do not evolve resistance to our antibiotics because they "try" so hard. Instead, resistance evolves because random mutation happens to generate some individuals that are better able to survive the antibiotic, and these individuals can reproduce more than other, leaving behind more resistant bacteria. To learn more about the process of natural selection, visit our article on this topic. To learn more about random mutation, visit our article on DNA and mutations.

One more quote from the same site: "Mutations can be beneficial, neutral, or harmful for the organism,"

We are all mutants...

Latest posts

Top Bottom