Breeding talk for everyone to understand

• Thread starter Chad.Westport
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

Oh man my brain hurts ❤🌱
yeah, mine too. Wait until you get to chapter two. ss,Ss,SS (which represents different traits you assign to them)= Homozygous recessive, Heterozygous, Homozygous dominant, which basically are what get combined in various combinations and ratios and thats where you sort it all out.... its confusing as fuck. I'm still trying to get a better understanding myself, hence the search for knowledge. It's easy to get something backwards in explaining it, which is why its nice to have books near by.

amekins

amekins

yeah, mine too. Wait until you get to chapter two. ss,Ss,SS (which represents different traits you assign to them)= Homozygous recessive, Heterozygous, Homozygous dominant, which basically are what get combined in various combinations and ratios and thats where you sort it all out.... its confusing as fuck. I'm still trying to get a better understanding myself, hence the search for knowledge. It's easy to get something backwards in explaining it, which is why its nice to have books near by.
This is actually one area that having a white board is great to map it all out. Having the actual illustration helps in making connections.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag This is the one?

Yeah thats the one I downloaded. Reading it is a mental workout, I find it hard to wrap my head around a lot of it unless I'm stone cold sober, and well fed with a coffee in hand.

I'm not sure that this is actually the same book Jeff was talking about though. Originally it was written by Norman Simmonds and it came out in 1972. But I haven't been able to find any online content from it to compare to this one.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah thats the one I downloaded. Reading it is a mental workout, I find it hard to wrap my head around a lot of it unless I'm stone cold sober, and well fed with a coffee in hand.

I'm not sure that this is actually the same book Jeff was talking about though. Originally it was written by Norman Simmonds and it came out in 1972. But I haven't been able to find any online content from it to compare to this one.
I like to think I learn fast but I'm guessing I have 6 months of intensive reading hours a day and side branching to fully understand the terms used and how they apply before I even start to really get a grasp on understanding all the variables and how they actually work.

One could easily spend a lifetime on this but I think 6 months may be enough to gain a basic understanding enough to get started or realize its not feasible for me. I'm leaning to the latter but will see.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I like to think I learn fast but I'm guessing I have 6 months of intensive reading hours a day and side branching to fully understand the terms used and how they apply before I even start to really get a grasp on understanding all the variables and how they actually work.

One could easily spend a lifetime on this but I think 6 months may be enough to gain a basic understanding enough to get started or realize its not feasible for me. I'm leaning to the latter but will see.

Its a bit much for sure. Only reason I want to know and breed myself asap is I see a future where it will become more difficult to breed ourselves.

If next year all we could get was feminized seeds things would change drastically for home breeding. Just imagine if 5 years from now they have figured out how to make sterile plants, then the governments shut down all the black market seed companies operating in the wide open..

I'm naturally inclined to believe corporations will try to screw us over in terms of what we can access and breed with ourselves at some point in the near future.

Snaggleroots

Snaggleroots

That's here already. Self a line enough times and you'll lose the stigmas. I don't remember who talks about it a lot, but the information is in circulation.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Its a bit much for sure. Only reason I want to know and breed myself asap is I see a future where it will become more difficult to breed ourselves.

If next year all we could get was feminized seeds things would change drastically for home breeding. Just imagine if 5 years from now they have figured out how to make sterile plants, then the governments shut down all the black market seed companies operating in the wide open..

I'm naturally inclined to believe corporations will try to screw us over in terms of what we can access and breed with ourselves at some point in the near future.
Seriously, they will try to patent it all and shut it down for DIY home breeders. California is already loosing to the black market again and the corporate money will get desperate to eliminate competition eventually

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Why would anyone trust anyone in an industry run by ex drug dealers and corperate investors?

They shouldn't. That's why I think small pockets of breeders that are doing their own thing is better for the industry and society than buying Spanish seeds in bulk and renaming them. The more we create, document, and share genetics, the less feasible it is down the line for a corporation to ever claim them as theirs.

The nature of corporations is to dominate a market and destroy competition, but they need to be making money to do that. They're either going to make money by selling seeds or clones, but if the market is flooded with better, more diverse, lower cost stuff from home breeders that gets a lot tougher.

It's roughly as dirty as normal organic farming in the US, where farmers have to worry about Monsanto's goon squads and legal teams. It's life under late stage capitalism.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

They say an hour a day for 30 days and you will be on the right path to mastery.

I really see two or three avenues in breeding.

The most common is the home breeder who does a lot of plant selection based off of intuition and familiarity of the stock they are working with. This is most of us and you can't say that it hasn't produced some true winners, so we know it can be effective.

The next step up is the professional breeders who can run plants in large numbers to have a quicker and wider selection process. But they also use the aid of available genetic markers like finding cannabinoid profiles in plants as young as three weeks old. They can also tell the sex at this age and a few other things that the home breeder has to take the time to find out, advantage pro breeder.

Then you have the Big AG / Pharma folks who use genetic marking to identify everything from terpenes to cannabinoids to leaf color to vigor. They can do this in tissue cultures, they don't even need to grow the plants to build the essential building blocks of super cannabis. They have identified genes related to PM resistance, great, activate that allele in all future strains and PM might be a thing of the past.... advantage science.

I fall under the first category, know a few people who would be the second and I do my darnedest to learn everything I can about the third. You'll have to look outside of this country for most of the meaningful studies with Cannabis. Israel, Spain, Colombia and a few other countries are really doing break-through work with plant genomics.

If you'd like to dive down the rabbit hole of the third category, I've read these and found them interesting -
&

Last edited:
Top Bottom