Captain's Log: Dispatches from Planet Milson

• Thread starter Milson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Chopped both hazes last night. They were definitely done...hungry haze.actually ended up maturing pretty quickly at the end. Branches hanging now. Not the prettiest, so no pics, but the buds themselves should look pretty nice and most importantly they look and smell like they will be great smoke.

Also, most importantly, the seeds are all mature!!!!!! So that will be very exciting.

Buzzing like hell off the relief my dad is getting. He is feeling a noticable crash after about five hours but those are five excellent hours. Shocked widow is doing it but it's the leader in the clubhouse right now for him.

Moved golden tiger and panama x Bangi Haze into flower. Golden tiger is a hell of a plant. I will need to top her again...and tie her down from early stretch. Pics later today...

🙂🙂🙂🙂 Spring!!!!!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Into hour three on the first buzz off one of the haze girls. Took a small bud and dried her separately in a box to get a taste.

All in the head. Behind the eyes buzz. Ya know.

It will be good stuff. Happy.

Also, I think Skunk will be coming down soon. Sunday will be the start of week 11 of flower for her and she just looks pretty filled out.

Panamas will come down in the next couple weeks too.

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Golden tiger. Not even stretched yet. The vigor is nuts. Like even compared to other sativas, it's nuts.

IMG 20210325 123750056

Haven't even transplanted her yet. Going to top and tie down.

No joke i love these sativas so much. Like yes she will be a pain from a production perspective, but LOOK AT THAT PLANT.

🙂🙂🙂

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I am REALLY looking forward to testing these haze girls....fussy haze in particular is i think going to be the mom i try breeding because holy shit this buzz.....hardcore headband squeezing kind of tingly high.....like the attention is so focused in the eyes that "why is my mouth all the way down there???" Kind of thing idk....Gonna be great once dried properly. Definite spicy myrcene nose....And i have seeds from her with two potential haze dads and a widow dad!

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I am REALLY looking forward to testing these haze girls....fussy haze in particular is i think going to be the mom i try breeding because holy shit this buzz.....hardcore headband squeezing kind of tingly high.....like the attention is so focused in the eyes that "why is my mouth all the way down there???" Kind of thing idk....Gonna be great once dried properly. Definite spicy myrcene nose....And i have seeds from her with two potential haze dads and a widow dad!
I love your description. Can't wait to see the test! Wanna guess what it's made of first?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
So. An update. Lest anyone ever accuse me of being a serious person hahahaha

Bad news/good news.....

So the branch I took from fussy haze yielded good, mature seeds (yay!) but not as many as I hoped (booo)....this may have been partially exacerbated by me putting the branches for her and hungry haze in the same box to dry and then several/many seeds falling out lmao. But obviously I need to get better with my technique in terms of pollinating. Lesson learned.

The good news is this next batch of seeds from Fussy Haze now has an origin story for how they got all mixed up! And I have five seeds with taproots popped and in jiffy pellets :-)

Who's the dad? Gonna have to guess..... 🤣 🤣 🤣 so basically it's just a chucking expedition. Which I am finding fun tbh. I will be more careful with the seeds from Skunk and Panama.

In other news, I will not be breeding with hungry haze because the high is fine but not one I want to explore further. A lot of body to it actually. I will get around to doing TLC on her and FH hopefully tonight. I am expecting to see a higher ratio of CBG:THC in Hungry Haze than Fussy Haze based on my experience with the smoke. Let's see if my intuition has any connection to reality! Where does CBC come in? Idk! Part of me wants to hedge and say it might be a higher ratio of CBC:THC.....so if that ends up being in the case I will be wrong in an "i knew it was the other one!" way i.e. wrong.

They are both in jars as of last night. Bit quick on the dry but meh. No mold or anything and I think a cure will end up with both having interesting, nuanced profiles....

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

That fussy haze is a full figured gal, huh?

I've never seen that "cryptic" section before. I'm gonna dive into understanding that a bit more.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Fussy haze on the left. Hungry haze on the right.

Bit frustrated with myself re quality of test. Results have interest though.

Kind of confused by how much cbc I see.

I'm not sure what you are seeing that is frustrating. Looks like a solid test to me.

If you are talking about the splotchiness, that is in the dye application. Here is my advice on that.

#1 - mix the dye well in advance. Like at the start of the test. Use warm tap water (not hot) and shake it up really good
#2 - make sure the plate is mostly vertical when you spray. You do not want it pooling up on top of a horizontal plate.
#3 - make sure you have the bottle spraying really well and even before you spray the plate. A few strong squirts into a paper towel to get things flowing well before you douse the plate. you can see the big drops on the cardboard that if they landed on the plate would cause these artifacts.
#4 - use a new spray bottle each time. With my kit, they only sent 1 and the nozzle clogged up early on and without a nice even spray you get the granulated dot look. Don't dench the plate, just make sure a fine mist hits the whole thing. 100% coverage without drips is the goal.
#5 - make sure the plate is totally dry from the eluent before spraying.
#6 - it looks like there is plant material at the application dot point, the dark brown stuff. Make sure you put cotton in the top of the sample to use as a filter to only get the eluent and dissolved molecules into the pipette, no crunchies.

And as I have mentioned, there is a better dye. When I get you the THC Vic clones, I'll get you some of the good stuff to try.

With these bottles, try them out with straight water first and make sure they are giving a good mist and no big drops, then add the dye.

Now, for the good

This is a solid result, even if it is not as photogenic as you would like. You have some really nice genetics there. This stuff is far more balanced than you typically get from commercial seeds. Still a big THC blip, but you also have several minors in good qty. Also, the decarb looks perfect. I'm gonna guess this is an incredibly dense non-boring high. With this result, you can see why, and try to tweak it for your personal taste.

I'm a fan.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FHP4KH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'm not sure what you are seeing that is frustrating. Looks like a solid test to me.

If you are talking about the splotchiness, that is in the dye application. Here is my advice on that.

#1 - mix the dye well in advance. Like at the start of the test. Use warm tap water (not hot) and shake it up really good
#2 - make sure the plate is mostly vertical when you spray. You do not want it pooling up on top of a horizontal plate.
#3 - make sure you have the bottle spraying really well and even before you spray the plate. A few strong squirts into a paper towel to get things flowing well before you douse the plate. you can see the big drops on the cardboard that if they landed on the plate would cause these artifacts.
#4 - use a new spray bottle each time. With my kit, they only sent 1 and the nozzle clogged up early on and without a nice even spray you get the granulated dot look. Don't dench the plate, just make sure a fine mist hits the whole thing. 100% coverage without drips is the goal.
#5 - make sure the plate is totally dry from the eluent before spraying.
#6 - it looks like there is plant material at the application dot point, the dark brown stuff. Make sure you put cotton in the top of the sample to use as a filter to only get the eluent and dissolved molecules into the pipette, no crunchies.

And as I have mentioned, there is a better dye. When I get you the THC Vic clones, I'll get you some of the good stuff to try.

With these bottles, try them out with straight water first and make sure they are giving a good mist and no big drops, then add the dye.

Now, for the good

This is a solid result, even if it is not as photogenic as you would like. You have some really nice genetics there. This stuff is far more balanced than you typically get from commercial seeds. Still a big THC blip, but you also have several minors in good qty. Also, the decarb looks perfect. I'm gonna guess this is an incredibly dense non-boring high. With this result, you can see why, and try to tweak it for your personal taste.

I'm a fan.
Thank you for the tips on the dye. You're right, i did all those things wrong haha. I was worried it was a development time thing or a storage issue.

The extent of your knowledge on this is impressive!

Re: the result itself....

You're right: the level of secondary cannabinoids is exciting. And yes, the density in the body aspect especially is just not something I get from dispensary bud.

The level of cbc being basically equal with cbg surprises me a lot. As does seeing a bit of thcv on fussy haze.

The tlc sure makes haze plus widow look like a party. 🎉😜🙃

If i want to buy more plates, what do you recommend?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077FHP4KH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
That fussy haze is a full figured gal, huh?

I've never seen that "cryptic" section before. I'm gonna dive into understanding that a bit more.
Yeah she's a bad bitch. 😍😍😍 Sadly i have like a third as much of her as i have of hungry haze, who was easily my best ever yield. That said, hungry haze is getting better every day with curing. 🙂

Oh! Also:

Screenshot 20210331 090842

That looks like an order for those acids to develop?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The level of cbc being basically equal with cbg surprises me a lot. As does seeing a bit of thcv on fussy haze.

The tlc sure makes haze plus widow look like a party. 🎉😜🙃

If i want to buy more plates, what do you recommend?

I know I'm a weirdo, but I'd put some of both in the bowl and smoke it up. That would be some serious entourage. I'm finding that THCV and CBC are interesting bedfellows.

On the plates, you have really 2 options. First is the glass with Silica Gel 60. These are more expensive, but great results. Necessary if you are decarbing directly on the plate with the lighter (hot test in your instructions).

The second is an aluminum plate that you can cut with normal scissors.

These are cheap and effective, but you need to be a little careful about bending them or the silica will crack or break off. But being able to cut the plate to any dimension you want is really nice. If you want super separation, you can even cut them the long way and get double the room for the eluent to travel making dot detection a snap.

On both of these, you want the bud as dry as possible for best results.

I just had a really nice farmer buddy send me a bunch of glass (thank you thank you), so that's what I'm going to use for a while, but if I'm buying, I go aluminum. That box of 20 from Amazon is damn near a lifetime supply at the rates we test.
https://www.amazon.com/iChromatogra...ate+10x20&qid=1617201799&s=industrial&sr=1-11
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088D7DZQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I know I'm a weirdo, but I'd put some of both in the bowl and smoke it up. That would be some serious entourage. I'm finding that THCV and CBC are interesting bedfellows.

On the plates, you have really 2 options. First is the glass with Silica Gel 60. These are more expensive, but great results. Necessary if you are decarbing directly on the plate with the lighter (hot test in your instructions).

The second is an aluminum plate that you can cut with normal scissors.

These are cheap and effective, but you need to be a little careful about bending them or the silica will crack or break off. But being able to cut the plate to any dimension you want is really nice. If you want super separation, you can even cut them the long way and get double the room for the eluent to travel making dot detection a snap.

On both of these, you want the bud as dry as possible for best results.

I just had a really nice farmer buddy send me a bunch of glass (thank you thank you), so that's what I'm going to use for a while, but if I'm buying, I go aluminum. That box of 20 from Amazon is damn near a lifetime supply at the rates we test.
Bought the aluminum for now, but the glass is very rrasonable. Thank you!

I decarbed at 235 degrees for 26 minutes fwiw. At least that's what I programmed the levo 2 to do. I did not end up using a lighter to do the hot plate....i was also a bit worried that the splotchiness was bc i was wrong about the purpose of the lighter so i am glad I wasn't.
https://www.amazon.com/iChromatogra...ate+10x20&qid=1617201799&s=industrial&sr=1-11
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088D7DZQC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

That looks like an order for those acids to develop?

I'm worried I am going too deep here and you already know this, but I'll explain a bit further.

The Silica sprayed on the plate is a well defined lattice of molecules that are tightly linked together.

Screen Shot 2021 03 31 at 95149 AM

The eluent (one of 3 chemicals for cannabis, normally Chloroform) runs right up this stuff quickly with a wicking action.

In the eluent is your cannabinoids. These molecules move up the lattice with the eluent at a fixed, differing speed based on the cannabinoid, making use of different polarity of the molecules. Think of it this way, THC is skinny like Milson and can climb the ladder fast. THCA is a porker like yours truly and just can't get it's fat azz up the ladder. So when you see a long solid line at the bottom leading up from the sample dot - what you are seeing is the undecarbed fatso cannabinoids in the mix. This is not very telling, because all the acids from the entire bud show up as one dot. You can't see THCA, CBDA, etc, just one big blob. So we decarb first or you lose data.

In the pic you posted, you see a cold test and a hot test with different amounts of sample required. The cold test is going to show you a big slug of acids. The hot test is where you put a flame under the glass to decarb prior to developing. You use more sample size because this is not accurate and results in burning off some of the sample and eluent.

What I think works the best is to properly decarb the bud prior to coming over to the TLC test setup, and use the sample size of the cold test. This is by far the most accurate and repeatable method for this process.

Also, if you look at some of my tests, you will see little bands of color down near the sample dot where the acids would be. I know those are clearly something, but I am not sure what. My guess is terpenoids. You will only see them when using Fast Blue BB from my experience. So from that perspective, yes they are cryptic because I have only guesses as to what they are.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'm worried I am going too deep here and you already know this, but I'll explain a bit further.

The Silica sprayed on the plate is a well defined lattice of molecules that are tightly linked together.

View attachment 1108613

The eluent (one of 3 chemicals for cannabis, normally Chloroform) runs right up this stuff quickly with a wicking action.

In the eluent is your cannabinoids. These molecules move up the lattice with the eluent at a fixed, differing speed based on the cannabinoid, making use of different polarity of the molecules. Think of it this way, THC is skinny like Milson and can climb the ladder fast. THCA is a porker like yours truly and just can't get it's fat azz up the ladder. So when you see a long solid line at the bottom leading up from the sample dot - what you are seeing is the undecarbed fatso cannabinoids in the mix. This is not very telling, because all the acids from the entire bud show up as one dot. You can't see THCA, CBDA, etc, just one big blob. So we decarb first or you lose data.

In the pic you posted, you see a cold test and a hot test with different amounts of sample required. The cold test is going to show you a big slug of acids. The hot test is where you put a flame under the glass to decarb prior to developing. You use more sample size because this is not accurate and results in burning off some of the sample and eluent.

What I think works the best is to properly decarb the bud prior to coming over to the TLC test setup, and use the sample size of the cold test. This is by far the most accurate and repeatable method for this process.

Also, if you look at some of my tests, you will see little bands of color down near the sample dot where the acids would be. I know those are clearly something, but I am not sure what. My guess is terpenoids. You will only see them when using Fast Blue BB from my experience. So from that perspective, yes they are cryptic because I have only guesses as to what they are.
This is super duper helpful and i only knew like half at most. Thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom