Cattapilla's Blackberry Kush and Mango Kush Grow Diary

• Thread starter Cattapilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cattapilla

Cattapilla

Happy Holidays! This is the end of week 3 in flower for the Mango and Blackberry Kush. I’m back after 7 days, my friend watered each plant 1/4 gallon on Sunday and Wednesday with plain, rested water. She did a great job. I watered this morning with the regular feed. I noticed no leaf curl at all when I came back, and that encourages me to give them water in between feeds. They were very thirsty, but are perking up. They still look pretty dry to me. I might try 1/2 gallon each next watering, or maybe every other day. So happy to come back to healthy plants. I missed you guys and your funny, yet invaluable musings!

1 45
3 10
4 45
2 56
Cattapilla

Cattapilla

This is the beginning of week 4. It was suggested that I lower the lights for maximum benefit from someone that garage grows, outside the forum. The canopy is about 17 inches from the HLG 100 4k, and HLG 65 4k led lights. I have carabiners of assorted lengths that could easily lower them if there is significant value. I love everyone's hands off approach here, but I also appreciate any recommendations that will give me a happy harvest! Thoughts?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Great looking plants @Cattapilla, nice grow! Do you plan to run pbp grow all the way through flower as well?

And I agree with MiMed, tucked leaves dont perform properly. A leaf needs to be perpendicular to the light source for proper photon penetration through the thykloids in the chloroplasts. Facing away from the light they're essentially useless.

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

I'll continue with a light feed/cal-mag in between waterings as long as they seem to be happy, until about week 7. ILGM suggests both kush are ready indoors at about 8-9 weeks, but I can be patient if they take longer. Leaves are untucked and bushy at this point. There seems to be good circulation in there, but I could add another fan at the base. The average temperature in the tent is 70%, with 55% humidity. Thank you for comments and suggestions!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Great looking plants @Cattapilla, nice grow! Do you plan to run pbp grow all the way through flower as well?

And I agree with MiMed, tucked leaves dont perform properly. A leaf needs to be perpendicular to the light source for proper photon penetration through the thykloids in the chloroplasts. Facing away from the light they're essentially useless.
Thylakoids not thykloids lol...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'll continue with a light feed/cal-mag in between waterings as long as they seem to be happy, until about week 7. ILGM suggests both kush are ready indoors at about 8-9 weeks, but I can be patient if they take longer. Leaves are untucked and bushy at this point. There seems to be good circulation in there, but I could add another fan at the base. The average temperature in the tent is 70%, with 55% humidity. Thank you for comments and suggestions!
If you are going to stick to calmag and pbp grow, I'd actually suggest you continue feeding half strength through week 7 and 1/4 strength through the first half of week 8, keeping an eye on runoff to make sure for those last weeks what you're putting in is what's coming out, or close to it. The last watering 2-3 days before chop you can rinse the media with plain low ppm water until you have <100ppm runoff, to clear any fertilizer from the vascular system. The reason most people use only water the last 2 weeks is to clear excess fertilizer from the plant, but they dont really know which specific nutrients they are trying to clear. You dont want an excess of any nutrients ever really, especially at the end, but the primary nutrient you need to have very little of at the end is phosphorus. Pbp grow already has very little, so the odds of having excess to begin with is low. Using a low rate of pbp grow ratio in the last 2-3 weeks ensures a better burn by reducing P to almost nil, but provides nutrients that the plant is still using to ripen without starving it, potentially causing premature ripening.

To add to this, a low dose of roughly 1/8th tsp per gallon of Epsom salts added to one single feed around week 5 of flower will also improve the burn characteristics as Mg aids in heat retention of the burning cherry of a joint. Too much can be bad, but a small dose to increase levels mid flower helps immensely.

Just a couple tips dude, you can take em or leave em.

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

If you are going to stick to calmag and pbp grow, I'd actually suggest you continue feeding half strength through week 7 and 1/4 strength through the first half of week 8, keeping an eye on runoff to make sure for those last weeks what you're putting in is what's coming out, or close to it. The last watering 2-3 days before chop you can rinse the media with plain low ppm water until you have <100ppm runoff, to clear any fertilizer from the vascular system. The reason most people use only water the last 2 weeks is to clear excess fertilizer from the plant, but they dont really know which specific nutrients they are trying to clear. You dont want an excess of any nutrients ever really, especially at the end, but the primary nutrient you need to have very little of at the end is phosphorus. Pbp grow already has very little, so the odds of having excess to begin with is low. Using a low rate of pbp grow ratio in the last 2-3 weeks ensures a better burn by reducing P to almost nil, but provides nutrients that the plant is still using to ripen without starving it, potentially causing premature ripening.

To add to this, a low dose of roughly 1/8th tsp per gallon of Epsom salts added to one single feed around week 5 of flower will also improve the burn characteristics as Mg aids in heat retention of the burning cherry of a joint. Too much can be bad, but a small dose to increase levels mid flower helps immensely.

Just a couple tips dude, you can take em or leave em.
I think I'll follow your suggestions with these plants starting with week 5, next Monday, with the salts. Most of this will be rendered into butter or edibles, however, I owe a few friends small favors, and they will be delighted for such a gift, especially if it's a good burn.

Cattapilla

Cattapilla

I moved the Banana Kush from the 16 oz. solo cup to a 2 gallon container, and was careful when untangling the roots and moving her. I believe she's also started to flower, so I hope I didn't totally mess things up. Seems pretty perky already a few hours later. My tiny tent is officially my flower room!

Banana K transplant
Cattapilla

Cattapilla

First day of week 5. I flushed this morning with 1/2 gallon to each plant, they were thirsty and the pots were heavier than normal, after runoff. I noticed that the larger, older fans on both plants near the bottom and middle are starting to fade and turn yellow. That seems it can be normal for certain plants. Everything else looks good. The blackberry is taller, but the mango on the right is starting to get frosty, and both plants are busy stacking flowers. Next water will be half of what I have been feeding. Thanks for all the help with this grow.

Top Bottom