Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
str8med

str8med

Here is a pic I took @ day 19 of flowering. I'm growing in promix bx with fully rooted 3 gallon pots. Luckly this is a test grow as I don't really have a P booster. Trying to read all the information and handle real life experiences has become more like a job but I'm quite happy with the results. I hit them @ day 21 with full strength Jacks hydro and CalN. Instead of epsom i used Sweet @ about 3ml per 2 gal. of ro water. I noticed a little tip burn coming so I'll most likely dilute the mix down to about 1.2 ec or lower.This plant usually puts on weight at the end of flowering. The genetics are not from the states so results are quite different!
The second pic shows the slight leaf curl I've been asking about.

IMG 1101
IMG 1141
F

fatman41

@cap your my hero!! are you using the actuall jacks or the Hydro-Sol 5-11-26, Peters Professional by Scotts found at custom hydro?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I order the jacks from jr peters. custom hydro sells jacks at a slight markup.

surferbum6900

surferbum6900

Cap- what do y thnk about using jacks, Epsom salt and cal nitrat. With your roots, nutes and folios kit?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
no problemo. Its what I use now.

surferbum6900

surferbum6900

What levels do you use so you don't kill your micro heard or burn your plants?

G

glaxo151

Capulator please check your ebay messages when you get a chance. Am excited to try your gear. Thanks

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

six pack....

here's the ppms for the basic veg and bloom formula of the six pack.

N-P-K-Ca-Mg-S

Veg 300-79-340-285-103-166 --- 1273 ppm
Bloom 158-98-428-194-119-288 --- 1285 ppm

i remember reading a thread about the role sulphur played in the development of terpenes. clearly this shows atleast in this recipe the importance sulphur plays. I will be getting back to work soon and will post my results as I go.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

What six pack do you speak of

i think im just gona post my results in that thread. this thread has evolved into a "jacks" thread n don't wana confuse people.

the "six pack" is just six individual ingredients(chemicals)

1. calcium nitrate
2. potassium sulfate
3. potassium nitrate
4. mono potassium phosphate
5. magnesium sulfate
6. minor trace elements

after researching this thread i remembered an old fertilizer recipe i once used. Its pretty much the same thing as the jacks just the jacks part is broken down. allows you to fine tune your ratios easier as you have individual ingredients to work with.

both these fertilizer programs will cost pennies a feeding compared to commercial fertilizers and will work way better.imo

Howstar

Howstar

After lurking around this thread I have ordered Jacks professional and the cal nitrate. I was using what was called the "Cadillac special sauce recipe." Needless to say it called for a variety of house products, which as we know aren't cheap. And there seems to be a "foul smell" coming from these companies.

So I have a question on how to mix?
I have a 40 gal. res. So do I mix....

40 grams professional, 20 grams of epson salt then 36 grams of cal nitrate?

I think i'm confused? Or i might have it right. I also read something about 1/2 ratios per gallon. I think this would take forever to measure and fill. Sorry if this is a repost, but this tread is long.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

After lurking around this thread I have ordered Jacks professional and the cal nitrate. I was using what was called the "Cadillac special sauce recipe." Needless to say it called for a variety of house products, which as we know aren't cheap. And there seems to be a "foul smell" coming from these companies.

So I have a question on how to mix?
I have a 40 gal. res. So do I mix....

40 grams professional, 20 grams of epson salt then 36 grams of cal nitrate?

I think i'm confused? Or i might have it right. I also read something about 1/2 ratios per gallon. I think this would take forever to measure and fill. Sorry if this is a repost, but this tread is long.

for 40 gallons i would use 120 grams professional and 72 grams calnit
if you need the extra mg, then add 20 grams of epsom before you add the calnit
this should get you into the ball park then you can fine tune it for your room

fwiw

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
here's the ppms for the basic veg and bloom formula of the six pack.

N-P-K-Ca-Mg-S

Veg 300-79-340-285-103-166 --- 1273 ppm
Bloom 158-98-428-194-119-288 --- 1285 ppm

i remember reading a thread about the role sulphur played in the development of terpenes. clearly this shows atleast in this recipe the importance sulphur plays. I will be getting back to work soon and will post my results as I go.

This looks very hot used as is.

Howstar

Howstar

for 40 gallons i would use 120 grams professional and 72 grams calnit
if you need the extra mg, then add 20 grams of epsom before you add the calnit
this should get you into the ball park then you can fine tune it for your room

fwiw

Thank you! Just to clarify i pre disslove in a bucket 120 gr. then add to the res. water. Same with the 72 gr. of calnit.

If this is right, all i need is my order to arrive. Plug and play!

I assume that is still cool to run Great White and roots execelerator and Hyrozyme. Or are these more Hydro store shake down tactics?
Thanks for your time.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

Thank you! Just to clarify i pre disslove in a bucket 120 gr. then add to the res. water. Same with the 72 gr. of calnit.

If this is right, all i need is my order to arrive. Plug and play!

I assume that is still cool to run Great White and roots execelerator and Hyrozyme. Or are these more Hydro store shake down tactics?
Thanks for your time.

you can pre dissolve it but i just add the jacks and epsom if i need it, to the res and add the calnit a few hours later
i do have aquarium pump circulators in the res so the solution is always in motion though

re the other stuff? i don't use any of that so i wouldn't know

also, i use h2so4 for ph down so the P stays in check

fwiw

HG23

HG23

Hey guys,

This is an epic thread no doubt, lots of knowledge being dropped. I don't think a lot of people realize just how significant this info is. I've read through this as well as a few of the DIY nutrient threads on ICmag and also done a little research on ionic chemistry and the calculation of molar mass of atoms/molecules. Also played around with cannastats and hydrobuddy as well as checked out spurr's screen cast. I've always felt that the cannabis nutrient game is mostly BS, but was never sure or knew what to do about it. Once I found these threads I pretty much couldn't stop reading and researching, seriously, hours go by and I swear its only been minutes. I've been growing in soil since I moved out to cali a couple years ago and have mostly used CES with pretty good success until recently I had some weird crystalline precipitate fall out of solution in my micro that caused me some serious stress and problems to point I considered abandoning the crop. Long story short, I'm ready to try using my own ionic salts or most likely Jack's and the cal-nitrate/epsom. I've been using Roots Organics soil but would like to eventually transition to coco or something else thats more nutritionally inert. I know earlier in this thread someone asked if Jacks would be a good profile for soil and DS responded that it would, but I'm curious what the rest of you guys think. Also, just wondering, have you guys ever tried to explain these concepts to anyone who doesn't read forums or anything? Kinda funny sometimes...

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
leadsled
what program is that?
Thanks

You use a Spreadsheet program. Excel, Calc

download premix ppm3b.zip from cannastats, extract .xls file. open in spreadsheet program.

----------------

Others: (case they were not mentioned)

Hydrobuddy is another standalone nutrient calculator.

Custom Hydro Nutrients (where you can purchase individual salts) also has a calc that is free to download.

------

p.s. here is the spurr video that was mentioned...

For those who haven't seen it.
[YOUTUBE]CZpXCfw4JVY[/YOUTUBE]

Latest posts

Top Bottom