City Cultivation Ban?

• Thread starter v1sual
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I was having this debate with my partner. He said "we need guns so when 10 mexican mafia members come to rob us we can be ready" (I shit you not, his dumb-ass actually said this, lol). To which I replied "Any professional criminal will know that robbing a grow facility is absolutely pointless unless they are trying to steal a bunch of leaves, because most of the time, that's what it is, just leaves, it's not a dispensary."

I think the only people you need to worry about is local highschool kids trying to break-in and that's something you can handle yourself and don't need guns for.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I totally get that we should not be deprived of our second amendment, based on the sole fact that we grow, but what I am saying is that it is probably not smart to be the one to challenge it.

Wasn't marijuana decriminalized a long time ago in Cali? It's a Health and Safety code violation now, right? i.e. Fines and penalties.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Depends. Where I`m at several growers have been robbed at gun point by multiple persons. Also have had home invasions and some dressed as cops! Mostly though it`s high school kids or someone you know. I keep guns because 1. I own them anyway, 2. because I may need to hunt to eat., 3. because of mountain lions in the area, 4. protection. Had people killed and missing in the area because of meth addicts. I don`t take guns into the garden however.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Oh had my home robbed ( indoor grow ripped) I filed a police report for insurance reasons and they knew I had guns, they saw everything as they did a walk through. I had no problems , they suggested I get a gun safe to keep both my guns and medical in. Insurance covered everything but the medication saying it was illegal under Federal law. They even replaced my bong !

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Oh had my home robbed ( indoor grow ripped) I filed a police report for insurance reasons and they knew I had guns, they saw everything as they did a walk through. I had no problems , they suggested I get a gun safe to keep both my guns and medical in. Insurance covered everything but the medication saying it was illegal under Federal law. They even replaced my bong !
Damn! I am switching insurance companies, lol.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I personally wouldn't have posted that (3 posts up), just a heads-up. Incase. Never know what lies in the future. @markscastle

Better safe than sorry, you know?

Last edited:
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I 100% agree with you, but I'm in SoCal. Shit's a little different here.

The city I'm in endorses marijuana and protects us (at 15% they better!) and the cops are on our side. I think the city wants marijuana to become one of their main industries and to revitilize their local economy.

You can't even find property at a reasonable price here, anymore. There are shell companies that were compliant prior to Jan. 1 that are selling for 5k-10k (meaning my 2 NPO's could potentially have a value of 20k, in name alone).

I know all the things I had to go thru to get compliant and I'm really surprised more people aren't focused on adapting and getting compliant as well.

I know if you have land, it's not so easy to just pick-up and move. My humble advice would be to get involved in city council (or whatever your local government calls themselves) or wait it out. We're in uncharted territory and everyone's feeling it out. I heard another city just overturned their ban, so it is already happening, be patient.

I'm telling you now, the vast majority of these bans will go uninforced or be overturned/ammended (IMO, take it or leave it, but I've been remarkably accurate at calling these things so far). If you've been doing your homework, you know it's more of a technicality due to the March 1st deadline.

Last edited:
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I honestly don't like sharing information that I spent countless hours researching or payed good money for.

When I first made the decision to seriously get into the industry, people were total assholes to me and I wasn't privy to their little clubs. And I was really friendly/nice, doing favors and being taken advantage of. Anyways, I made it all on my own and now the tables have turned.

I'm hoping that sharing a bit of what I know comforts or maybe even helps good people like @Seamaiden or @markscastle who I've seen around forever, tirelessly helping ANYONE who asks, regardless of who they are. Maybe you guys already knew and I didn't help or give any comfort at all, I dunno. It's not right that GOOD people, who have been around forever, feel like they are being pushed-out now.

I've had my differences in opinion with @markscastle, but I know him to be a good/kind dude. And he wasn't a little bitch about it when our opinions did clash.

Newenglander

Newenglander

I honestly don't like sharing information that I spent countless hours researching or payed good money for.

When I first made the decision to seriously get into the industry, people were total assholes to me and I wasn't privy to their little clubs. And I was really friendly/nice, doing favors and being taken advantage of. Anyways, I made it all on my own and now the tables have turned.

I'm hoping that sharing a bit of what I know comforts or maybe even helps good people like @Seamaiden or @markscastle who I've seen around forever, tirelessly helping ANYONE who asks, regardless of who they are. Maybe you guys already knew and I didn't help or give any comfort at all, I dunno. It's not right that GOOD people, who have been around forever, feel like they are being pushed-out now.

I've had my differences in opinion with @markscastle, but I know him to be a good/kind dude. And he wasn't a little bitch about it when our opinions did clash.

-pat on the back-. Kinda sounds like you created your own little club to keep people out of, sorta like a wimpy kid turned cop, huh.

I however have passed along freely what I have learned In the last 30 years as I don't feel like I'm so privileged as too stop the progression of knowledge. Different strokes for different greedy folks.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

-pat on the back-. Kinda sounds like you created your own little club to keep people out of, sorta like a wimpy kid turned cop, huh.

I however have passed along freely what I have learned In the last 30 years as I don't feel like I'm so privileged as too stop the progression of knowledge. Different strokes for different greedy folks.
Ah, I thought @Newenglander "drops mic"? The fuck you doin in the Cali threads, anyways? To whine about how you did some time and troll anyone who is compliant?

I could honestly give two fucks about your opinion, man. You had a shitty attitude from the start. You want your "blackmarket" so badly, but prepared to pay the price.

You think you deserve some sort of respect because you did some time, you paved the road for us, right? Someone get this guy his red badge of courage. You were not thinking of me in the least bit when you setup your op, I can tell you that. I don't care how much time you served and I don't care who you think you are, no one is going to talk to me the way you did without me giving a piece of my mind in return.

I think a club needs more than 1 member. I have shared more than enough over the years and I continue to share with those who want to listen or find any value in it, but when they are disrespectful, I rather not.

Last edited:
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

And I highly doubt you have anything whorthwhile or valid to share. You built your room to "spec" and legitimately think that that was all you had to do to be compliant? "Based on knowledge from older heads..." Are you kidding me? That was your legal resource?

It looks to me like you don't really have anything worthwhile to share at all. You just want to talk people out of getting compliant because you weren't and did time for it.

I get it, you tried it and it went horribly wrong for you, but that's all on you. You didn't play by the rules, took a risk and payed for it.

I don't see anything of value in your personal grudge with the law and people who worked their ass off and raised the capital required to pay the fees and taxes, but that's just me.

Nothing in this life is free, buddy. Someone always has to be paid and in this case it comes in the form of taxes and fees. Maybe if you understood that simple concept, you wouldn't have wasted 18 months? I dunno. Just saying.

Last edited:
Newenglander

Newenglander

-Pat on the back- I don't need your help thanks though grasshopper.

Thanks bulldog....And little princess mushin is ignored.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I`m not so much into a Black-market as a Free- market, one with little boundaries for he who is willing to work hard and be honest . I can`t see that with a tax, regulate and control environment. It`s set up to be limiting and to make money for those who do all the labor. I`m not a get rich kind of guy , but I also don`t want to spend my hard earned income on compliance and taxes just so someone else can make money off my work.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I`m not so much into a Black-market as a Free- market, one with little boundaries for he who is willing to work hard and be honest . I can`t see that with a tax, regulate and control environment. It`s set up to be limiting and to make money for those who do all the labor. I`m not a get rich kind of guy , but I also don`t want to spend my hard earned income on compliance and taxes just so someone else can make money off my work.
I get what your saying and totally agree, but taxes are just a fact of life (unfortunately). The way I look at it is like; "what other option do we have?" Without spending a considerable amount of time or money (even then), we don't really have much of a say.

The way I look at it is just adapt to the situation and survive. Do whatever you can to not miss the oportunity and get left out in the cold. You know what I mean?

Edit: This guy (@Newenglander) calls ME the little princess, lol. That's rich.

Newenglander

Newenglander

Sadly as we've seen though that's the way it's headed. I mean honestly I'm a caregiver for 6 patients right now I pay a fee for each one and taxes on the product sold. But it's slippery slope look how cali has been turning look what happened in Colorado and will soon be affecting colorado drastically. And let's be honest 90% of colorado and cali weed is black market anyway...we might not want too all say it but it's true. I don't even know where to fall, my brain says keep it legal, my heart says fuckem' . One thing is for sure a lot of infighting amongst like minded people helps no one or anything.

My apologies too all for throwing the conversation off topic. Ill keep personal stories for meet ups and smoke outs.

-mic. lightly set down- gonna take a nap.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Sadly as we've seen though that's the way it's headed. I mean honestly I'm a caregiver for 6 patients right now I pay a fee for each one and taxes on the product sold. But it's slippery slope look how cali has been turning look what happened in Colorado and will soon be affecting colorado drastically. And let's be honest 90% of colorado and cali weed is black market anyway...we might not want too all say it but it's true. I don't even know where to fall, my brain says keep it legal, my heart says fuckem' . One thing is for sure a lot of infighting amongst like minded people helps no one or anything.

My apologies too all for throwing the conversation off topic. Ill keep personal stories for meet ups and smoke outs.

-mic. lightly set down- gonna take a nap.
I'm sorry to bring this up again and turn this into one of "those" threads (I legitimately wanted to let the whole thing die), but no one else sees any redflags here? Honestly? No one else who is legitimately in the industry sees anything wrong with this statement?

What patient fees?!? Dude claims to pay a fee for each patient? What state is that? Sure as fuck isn't Cali, I can tell you that. Don't even think Colorado has fees for patients. And if he isn't in Cali, wtf is dude doing here, really?

The MMIC program is the only thing I can think of and that isn't even manditory, it's a state registration/identification program (which I am apart of). That wouldn't even make sense because he said "each" patient.

I'm sorry, but I can't sit here and keep my mouth shut anymore while this dude comes in here and tries to fake the funk and spread misinformation. Everything this guy has said so far makes no sense and/or is totally inaccurate.

(Incase he wants to try and delete it and backpeddle).

Maybe no one else cares, whatever.

Good luck to you all, I legitimately hope it all works-out in the end, which I'm sure it will. We are just in the process of getting a few things hammered-out (Cali).

Do your homework, get compliant and/or be patient and wait it out. It IS coming, we ARE going recreational and it wouldn't be the same without some of you there :)

Last edited:
N

nightmarecreature

This is all a ploy to gain control of the market, because Cali will be fully legal soon. They want control of the $$$$. The commerical weed that will be controlled, is going to be garbage, kinda of like the majority of the stuff out now.

Newenglander

Newenglander

Honestly on a bigger picture we better all hope there is any mmj here in the next couple years at all....we are close to losing it all.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Well I for one cannot pay taxes on income as I draw on SSA account for being disabled for life. If I make earned income I lose that and would have to re-file for retirement. Then I`d only be allowed X amount of earned income before I`d lose some of my Social Security. I paid into my account and I`m not about to lose what I paid for! If I earn very much at all my income total would be taxed, I`m just under right now and am not required to file income taxes. I have very little bills so I do ok. I am worried now because I`m about to get chunks of money from the family trust so not sure how that will play out. I do want to make extra income but I really can`t work a regular job anymore. Nobody would hire me with my disabilities and I myself would fire me! I have medical expenses and my Medicare also pays for 98% of my state/county Medical benefits. I could lose out on that with any sustained above the table income as well. So I ether have to lose to be legal or have most of any extra income under the table. I`ve paid a shit load of taxes in my life and I don`t like having government spending my money where I can do a better job. I see know reason why the government should get more when it can`t control it`s spending and debits as it is. They take it away and then make you jump through hoops to qualify for some change back while they sit on there asses getting paid for doing so! Taxes are evil ! it`s just an other way to control the cows and let the 1% eat off your plate and leave us the scraps. So no I don`t like the ideas being floated around under the fake wording of `legal` cannabis. All they are doing is replacing possible jail time for more lucrative fines and fees and controlling that you can`t get ahead by working hard. Yes ` If ` you pay you won`t go to jail but you never should have had to face jail time for growing a plant in the first place! If the government wants to make money let them grow their own weed! I`m not going to pay them so I can grow it ! If they want to throw me in the pokey then they can feed, cloth, and house me along with paying my medical bills and when I get out I`ll just start right back growing for myself again anyway. Hey when they going to win the war on drugs? Never! When`s it going to stop? When they surrender and not before!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mr Castle, you just made a huge argument in favor of taxation. I don't have any problems with being taxed, my issues come with how those funds are used and whether or not others get to enjoy the same taxes. But after living on this here little crappy private road for 10yrs and seeing how a 'free market' can work, I say no thanks. Taxes are not evil, if you think they are then you must stop using MediCal and MediCare benefits immediately.
I was having this debate with my partner. He said "we need guns so when 10 mexican mafia members come to rob us we can be ready" (I shit you not, his dumb-ass actually said this, lol). To which I replied "Any professional criminal will know that robbing a grow facility is absolutely pointless unless they are trying to steal a bunch of leaves, because most of the time, that's what it is, just leaves, it's not a dispensary."

I think the only people you need to worry about is local highschool kids trying to break-in and that's something you can handle yourself and don't need guns for.
The whole reason why my county enacted the urgency ban back in 2011 was that an old grower guy was murdered. He met his robbers with a shotgun, they had more bigger better guns and shot the shit out of him. Turned out they were Vietnamese gang members. He had almost 800 plants going at the time and some other amount already harvested. They were there for all of it.
I 100% agree with you, but I'm in SoCal. Shit's a little different here.

The city I'm in endorses marijuana and protects us (at 15% they better!) and the cops are on our side. I think the city wants marijuana to become one of their main industries and to revitilize their local economy.

You can't even find property at a reasonable price here, anymore. There are shell companies that were compliant prior to Jan. 1 that are selling for 5k-10k (meaning my 2 NPO's could potentially have a value of 20k, in name alone).

I know all the things I had to go thru to get compliant and I'm really surprised more people aren't focused on adapting and getting compliant as well.

I know if you have land, it's not so easy to just pick-up and move. My humble advice would be to get involved in city council (or whatever your local government calls themselves) or wait it out. We're in uncharted territory and everyone's feeling it out. I heard another city just overturned their ban, so it is already happening, be patient.

I'm telling you now, the vast majority of these bans will go uninforced or be overturned/ammended (IMO, take it or leave it, but I've been remarkably accurate at calling these things so far). If you've been doing your homework, you know it's more of a technicality due to the March 1st deadline.
We're very likely moving back to SoCal, not too terribly far from Desert Hot Springs/Joshua Tree area. You are speaking my mind, at many levels. We got personally involved in our current county, but the way things are shaking out no one gets a place at this table, so folks like you and the ones in DHS are going to be able to play. This whole MMRSA thing, while well intentioned, has screwed some of us very, very hard.

For example, Tuolomne Co is allowing personal cultivation up to 24plants, but that's personal. If you don't have a license to cultivate for commercial purposes (which is now disallowed IIRC) you will not be able to move your product except through the black market, no more grey market. Anyway, I'm rambling.

So a chimera of what we have now? Unregulated markets is how we got into our financial crisis as just one very powerful example. We need regulation, entirely free markets don't work well for everyone, only for the rich and physically powerful.

And, the long and the short of it is this--you, I and every other consumer and grower has to live with the rest of the world. And many of them don't like what we're doing, they want to stop us entirely. The only middle point we're ever going to see is one where there is some taxation and regulation. This plant is not tomatoes, it is not "just like" tomatoes, and it will never be as unregulated as tomatoes.

Top Bottom