Clockworx pictures presents "Friendly Fire" Goji OG -vs- Lucky Charms

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

who will be the victor

• Total voters
clockworx

clockworx

A good read about the functions of different organisms in teas and soil. Written by Bioflora company

Bacteria

Bacteria are the most numerous type of soil organism. Every gram of soil contains at least a million of these tiny one-celled organisms and highly fertile soils can have as much as 650 million bacteria per gram. There are many different species of bacteria, each with its own role in the soil environment. One of the major benefits bacteria provide for plants is in making nutrients available to them. Some species release nitrogen, sulfur, phosphorus, and trace elements from organic matter. Others break down soil minerals, releasing potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, and iron. Still other species make and release plant growth hormones, which stimulate root growth.
Several species of bacteria transform nitrogen from a gas in the air to forms available for plant use, and from these forms back to a gas again. A few species of bacteria fix nitrogen in the roots of legumes, while others fix nitrogen independently of plant association. Bacteria are responsible for converting nitrogen from ammonium to nitrate and back again, depending on certain soil conditions. Other benefits to plants provided by various species of bacteria include increasing the solubility of nutrients, improving soil structure, fighting root diseases, and detoxifying soil.
Fungi
Fungi come in many different species, sizes, and shapes in soil. Some species appear as threadlike colonies, while others are one-celled yeasts. Slime molds and mushrooms are also fungi. Many fungi aid plants by breaking down organic matter or by releasing nutrients from soil minerals. Fungi are generally quick to colonize larger pieces of organic matter and begin the decomposition process, but are very sensitive to any disturbance in the soil. Some fungi produce plant hormones, while others produce antibiotics including penicillin. There are species of fungi that trap harmful plant-parasitic nematodes. The mycorrhizae are fungi that live either on or in plant roots and act to extend the reach of root hairs into the soil. Mycorrhizae increase the uptake of water and nutrients, especially phosphorus. They are particularly important in degraded or less fertile soils. Roots colonized by mycorrhizae are less likely to be penetrated by root-feeding nematodes, since the pest cannot pierce the thick fungal network. Mycorrhizae also produce hormones and antibiotics that enhance root growth and provide disease suppression. The fungi benefit by taking nutrients and carbohydrates from the plant roots they live in.
Actinomycetes
Actinomycetes are threadlike bacteria that look like fungi. While not as numerous as bacteria, they too perform vital roles in the soil. Like the bacteria, they help decompose organic matter into humus, releasing nutrients. They also produce antibiotics to fight diseases of roots. Many of these same antibiotics are used to treat human diseases. Actinomycetes are responsible for the sweet, earthy smell noticed whenever a biologically active soil is tilled.
Algae
Many different species of algae live in the upper half-inch of the soil. Unlike most other soil organisms, algae produce their own food through photosynthesis. They appear as a greenish film on the soil surface following a saturating rain. Algae improve soil structure by producing slimy substances that glue soil together into water-stable aggregates. Some species of algae (the blue-greens) can fix their own nitrogen, some of which is later released to plant roots.
Protozoa
Protozoa are free-living microorganisms that crawl or swim in the water between soil particles. Many soil protozoa are predatory, eating other microbes. One of the most common is an amoeba that eats bacteria. By eating and digesting bacteria, protozoa speed up the cycling of nitrogen from the bacteria, making it more available to plants.
Nematodes
Nematodes are abundant in most soils, and only a few species are harmful to plants. Root feeding nematodes are usually kept in check by a healthy soil microbial system which contains predatory nematodes and micro arthropods. The harmless species eat decaying plant litter, bacteria, fungi, algae, protozoa, and other nematodes and as they do so, they release nutrients stored in the bodies of their prey. Like other soil predators, nematodes speed the rate of nutrient cycling.
Arthropods
In addition to earthworms, slugs, and snails, there are many other species of soil organisms that can be seen by the naked eye. Among them are sow bugs, millipedes, soil centipedes, and springtails. These are the primary decomposers. Their role is to eat and shred the large particles of plant and animal residues. Some members of this group prey on smaller soil organisms. Springtails are small insects that eat mostly fungi. Their waste is rich in plant nutrients released after other fungi and bacteria decompose it. Also of interest are dung beetles, which play a valuable role in recycling manure.
Earthworms
Earthworm burrows enhance water infiltration and soil aeration. Fields that are tilled by earthworm tunneling can absorb water at a rate 4 to 10 times than that of fields lacking worm tunnels. This reduces water runoff, recharges groundwater, and helps store more soil water for dry spells. Vertical earthworm burrows pipe air deeper into the soil, stimulating microbial nutrient cycling at those deeper levels. When earthworms are present in high numbers, the tillage provided by their burrows can replace some expensive tillage work done by machinery.
Earthworms eat dead plant material left on top of the soil and redistribute the organic matter and nutrients throughout the topsoil layer. Nutrient- rich organic compounds line their tunnels, which may remain in place for years if not disturbed. During droughts these tunnels allow for deep plant root penetration into subsoil regions of higher moisture content. In addition to organic matter, worms also consume soil and soil microbes. The soil clusters they expel from their digestive tracts are known as worm casts or castings.
Castings range from the size of a mustard seed to that of a sorghum seed, depending on the size of the worm. The soluble nutrient content of worm casts is considerably higher than that of the original soil. A good population of earthworms can process 20,000 pounds of topsoil per year. In some exceptional cases earthworms can produce turnover rates as high as 200 tons per acre.
Earthworms also secrete a plant growth stimulant. Reported increases in plant growth following earthworm activity may be partially attributed to this substance, not just to improved soil quality.

clockworx

clockworx

Today is day 12 and I can already see that we have 2 different phenos, or one might be male who knows....#1 is forming wider leaves and just a weebit shorter than #2 who is clearly showing the start of a sativa leaf poking out ...I'm happy they are already showing different traits...they got put into larger pots today also....
IMG 20131122 225028
IMG 20131122 224857

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

I'm not a big fan of advanced nutrients, I don't like the whole 20 bottle marketing scam. With that said, some of their products are good, if they don't cost a limb I dont mind trying them out....since we are going organic this time and i went lite on amendments when mixing my coco soil I'm also using this journal to test "Iguana juice bloom" & "Nirvana".....Im sure most of us find it very hard to get honest information on these products, people either seem like they work for the company or just hate it. In both cases they will say anything to sway us. We will see what's really up with them, honestly. They both seem to have impressive ingredients for organic gardening and are priced well ($20each give or take). Plus it makes things more interesting and fun. I hope everyone enjoys the show!!!!!

I would also like to let people know that I'm going to start testing other nutrients, you guys will choose what I test, and it will be done side by side style with clones and my usual ton of pics. I think that will be my next grow show!!!!!

Nutrients used this grow are:

Iguana juice bloom
Nirvana
Floralicious +
Protekt silica
Compost teas

Sounds excellent! Loving the thread and strains. Great information man. Maybe nectar for the gods run next? I haven't used any of there products but bloom khaos but they have some interesting "derived froms" ha
Also I'm using neptunes crab meal right now. Your right about that, shits fresh. Smell like the deadliest catches deck boat.
Can't wait to see these baby's roar.

d420dool

d420dool

hey clock and everybody if u think that gojis sleepin u need to check my log out on them i took meticulous care of them asbabies and they acyed like spoiled brats, just how they r, i started 22 and got 14 f, and every seed popped, most in 24 the rest in 48. those were the first seeds i ever got and may have been the best, i coulda took 1 of the 6 dif clone moms i took and EASILY COULD HAVE MADE MY OWN ELITE CUT LIKE THE WHITE OR SUTTIN and everybody be usin it, i truly believe this and that bodhi is seriously a cut above the rest

clockworx

clockworx

hey clock and everybody if u think that gojis sleepin u need to check my log out on them i took meticulous care of them asbabies and they acyed like spoiled brats, just how they r, i started 22 and got 14 f, and every seed popped, most in 24 the rest in 48. those were the first seeds i ever got and may have been the best, i coulda took 1 of the 6 dif clone moms i took and EASILY COULD HAVE MADE MY OWN ELITE CUT LIKE THE WHITE OR SUTTIN and everybody be usin it, i truly believe this and that bodhi is seriously a cut above the rest
Trust me, nobody is sleepin on the goji, I've seen nothing but fire come out those seeds. Unfortunately this first few seeds have not been on par with the lucky charms. The fight can still turnaround at anytime but we call it as we see it over here. The facts as of right now are that the lucky charms are the "stronger" seeds out the gate. This is an equal oppertunity fight and both strains are to be treated the same no matter race or gender...lol....I'm counting on the goji to kick it up a notch though.....I also agree, bodhi is one of the best no doubt !!!! Feel free to hang out and see who comes out on top, votes are 50/50 rite now.....this is interactive growing so cast your goji vote and enjoy the show!!!!!!!

Last edited:
clockworx

clockworx

I'm really liking the iguana juice bloom and nirvana, the plants getting it in my other room are looking amazing and the g13 is bushy and staying shorter then it normally would. The leaves on all the plants are wider and brighter. I have been using the nirvana as a foliage spray @ 2ml per 24oz spray bottle w/.25 humboldt sticky.

clockworx

clockworx

Sounds excellent! Loving the thread and strains. Great information man. Maybe nectar for the gods run next? I haven't used any of there products but bloom khaos but they have some interesting "derived froms" ha
Also I'm using neptunes crab meal right now. Your right about that, shits fresh. Smell like the deadliest catches deck boat.
Can't wait to see these baby's roar.
thanks man glad you like the thread .....As for testing "nectar for the gods" nutrients, they are too basic and I already have all those ingredients in other products or in giant bags. Read through all those bottles, most have 1 or 2 items (kelp, sugar ect.) I don't buy that type of stuff. A single bottle of nirvana has more inside than that whole line of those bottles. Its easy to see that they are trying to make as many bottles as possible, You would be better off with a good soil and compost teas and save your money. You will get the same results.....

clockworx

clockworx

Nirvana Ingredients

• Alfalfa Extract
  • Alfin
  • Amylase
  • Arginine
  • Carotene
  • Chlorophyll
  • Clycine
  • Fermented Compost
  • Humic Acid
  • Leonardite
  • Leucine
  • Lysine
  • Maltase
  • Medicagin
  • Proprietary Blend of Fractionated Plant Extracts
  • Seaweed Extract
  • Serine
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin)
    Alfalfa Meal

Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) is a quickly growing, highly stress-tolerant plant that is grown worldwide. Its nutritional value has seen it used as far back as the Bronze Age. Being able to promote the formation of milk makes it an especially good livestock feed. Its benefits to plants are even more exciting.

Derived from a plant itself, alfalfa meal contains many of the minerals and building blocks required for plant growth. We chose alfalfa specifically because it is also the best source of a growth-stimulating molecule called triacontanol (TRIA). TRIA is an “aliphatic” lipid, meaning that it is a fat-type molecule (lipid) made from a very long chain of carbon atoms. It is also an alcohol because it has a “hydroxyl” (oxygen atom bound to a hydrogen atom) attached to one end. These characteristics give TRIA very special properties.

“Application of various long-chain aliphatic alcohol preparations and especially triacontanol (TRIA) results in remarkable stimulation of the growth and/or yield of a number of plant species. … This study clearly indicates that the molecular dynamics and/or fluidity of both protoplast and chloroplast membranes is markedly enhanced as a result of exogenous [external] application of TRIA.”

Plant Growth Regulation. 1997. 21: 145-152

TRIA is directly involved in increased crop yield. This arises from both its length and electric charge. The hydroxyl attached to one end is slightly polar, meaning that it carries a small electric charge. The remainder of TRIA does not carry an electric charge and is thus non-polar. Compounds that have both polar and non-polar regions are considered “amphipathic.”

Interestingly, TRIA’s dual polarity is shared by the molecules that make up cell membranes. Since many molecules are only polar or non-polar, they are effectively blocked by the amphipathic membrane molecules. TRIA easily transmits messages and molecules across membranes because it has properties of both a polar alcohol and non-polar lipid. This means that it can insert itself into the membrane and cause faster metabolism by letting more nutrients and messages into the cell. Metabolism is measured by observing the amount of carbon dioxide gas (CO2) absorbed (“fixed”) by a plant. This effect is recorded in a study from the journal Plant Growth Regulation:

“TRIA-treatment of isolated pea mesophyll protoplasts caused a substantial increase (166%) in the net CO2 fixation rate after 60 min of TRIA application as compared to the control. …the effects were less pronounced [in leaf pieces] than in isolated protoplasts, the increase of photosynthetic CO2 fixation being 117% after 60 min of TRIA application.”

Plant Growth Regulation. 1997. 21: 145-152

CO2 fixation is part of photosynthesis, the pathway plants use to harness light energy and build molecules to grow. Triacontanol more than a doubles a plant’s rate of photosynthesis! Research suggests this is because TRIA directly increases the activity of enzymes involved in photosynthesis and growth, such as RUBISCO, PEPCase, ATPase, NADH-oxidase, and malate dehydrogenase.

RUBISCO is the most abundant protein on earth and is directly responsible for the fixation of CO2 gas inside plant cells. “Carbon fixation” occurs by incorporating CO2 gas from the air into a larger, solid molecule - “fixing” it inside the cell. Some plants also fix CO2 using PEPCase, but this enzyme works in a different part of the cell and performs well in the presence of oxygen, while RUBISCO does not.

ATPases break down ATP (the molecule that stores energy in cells) which releases energy for use by the cell. NADH-oxidase and malate dehydrogenase are also important to energy flow in the cell. NADH-oxidase regenerates NAD from NADH. NAD is similar to ATP in that it also provides energy for cellular reactions. These molecules are used for different types of reactions and are both very essential. Malate dehydrogenase is an enzyme that uses energy from NAD to convert the sugar malate to another sugar called oxaloacetate. This is one step in the “citric acid cycle,” a very important pathway that breaks down all types of molecules to make energy and building blocks for other cell products.

With TRIA stimulating all of these enzymes, cells produce more energy and building supplies. TRIA also helps relay messages and brings more supplies into the cell so your crops maximize their growth potential. If photosynthesis slows down because CO2 is not being fixed properly by RUBISCO or PEPCase, less energy and fewer materials are produced and the plant becomes stunted. Nirvana is guaranteed to prevent this unfortunate event, ensuring full-strength photosynthesis.

clockworx

clockworx

Seaweed Meal

Nirvana’s special seaweed extract blend is derived from the algae Ascophyllum nodosum and a special blend of kelp extracts that include auxins to directly increase flower size. The liquid extract we have prepared from these fast growing and highly stress-resistant plants also contains cytokinin, betaines, and background nutrients designed to increase the rate and resilience of growth in every plant. Cytokinin also delays leaf death.

“A wide range of beneficial effects have been reported from the use of liquid seaweed extracts, including increased crop yields, resistance of plants to frost, increased uptake of inorganic constituents from the soil, more resistance to stress conditions, and reductions in storage losses of fruit.”

Marine Natural Products Chemistry. 1977. pp:337-344

As acknowledged in Marine Natural Products Chemistry, the benefits of seaweed extract are plentiful. The auxins and cytokinin in Nirvana’s seaweed meal are natural “plant steroids” that stimulate cell division, enlargement, root initiation, and flowering. In fact “the auxin resistant 1 mutant (axr1) has smaller leaves, inflorescence stems and floral organs caused by a decrease in cell number (University of California, 2006). This means that plants that can’t use auxin are smaller overall than those that can. Proof that auxin helps make bigger buds and flowers is recorded in Plant Physiology:

“Auxin applied after translocation of the flowering hormone from the leaf has been consummated promotes flowering by increasing rate of flower bud development. This effect is independent of the leaf, and appears to be exerted directly on the bud. The fact that auxin promotes floral development, as described in this paper, may aid in the interpretation of some experiments of other investigators which show a promotive effect of auxin upon flowering.”

Plant Physiology. 1955. 30(4): 327-334

The benefits of auxin on flower size have been known and studied since 1955. This paper also suggests that auxin focuses on the bud alone. It does not waste effort on leaves.

One of the reasons we included Ascophyllum extract is because of its rich supply of a class of molecules called betaines. Betaines are highly soluble molecules that protect cells when stresses occur. They are also known as “osmoprotectants.” During osmotic stress (changes in salt concentration), water molecules pour in and out of cells suddenly. These water molecules can break apart or distort proteins, making them no longer functional. Osmoprotectants such as betaines ‘coat’ the protein surfaces inside cells to protect them from the effects of water movement. (Plant Physiology. 1999. 120: 945-949)

“The protective properties of betaines were first recognized in experiments in which they were supplied to bacteria whose growth was inhibited by high salt concentrations. In media containing 0.6M NaCl, the bacteria grow very slowly unless supplied with one of these compounds.”

Plant Physiology. 1999. 120: 945-949

As demonstrated in Plant Physiology, bacteria are prevented from growing when they are in a stressful environment caused by salt. Supplying betaines solved this problem and they were able to grow properly again. This is true in plants as well, proof that crops must be supplemented with betaines to achieve maximum yield.

Auxins, cytokinins, and betaines allow a farmer to “pump-up” his crops, making them grow stronger, faster, and longer while protecting them from any unforeseen stresses that may occur during the growing season. A prime example of this effect at its best is in the Ascophyllum nodosum algae itself, the fastest growing and most stress-resistant plant in the world.

Krill Meal

Krill are tiny aquatic organisms that are one of the ocean’s staple foods. A primary component of their protective outer shell (exoskeleton) is a molecule known as chitin. It is also a major part of insect exoskeletons and the cell walls of fungi, two major classes of plant pests.

Like humans, plants have immune systems. However, as many humans know, immune systems are not naturally indestructible – but they can be improved. Applying Nirvana’s chitin to your gardens is one way of doing this in plants.

Chitin helps bring about a “systemic resistance” to insects and fungi when applied to the leaves of your crops. “Systemic” means that it occurs throughout the entire plant. This is similar to a vaccination, where a small, safe piece of a dangerous organism helps a host prepare and defend itself against future exposure to the complete pathogen.

Successful control of the nematode Meloidogyne arenaria using chitin was reported in a series of papers (Mian et al. 1982; Godoy et al. 1983; Culbreath et al. 1986). ... These observations suggest that the decomposition of chitin for 3 weeks or longer prior to planting will result a build-up of chitinolytic microorganisms which may parasitize the chitin- containing eggs of plant-parasitic nematodes.

Biology and Fertility of Soils. 1996. 22(3): 221-226

Chitin helps protect plants in other ways as well. It works with the beneficial microbes in your soil to bring them to your crop’s defense, preventing and destroying unwanted intruders before they can even find a chance to attack.

Chitin brings about a systemic resistance by stimulating the production of “chitinase” enzymes and store them in the spaces between cells. These enzymes break down chitin and let the plant digest and destroy invading insects and fungi. Chitin is just one of many immune-boosting compound contained in Nirvana.

Bat Guano

Guano is the organic waste produced by bats. As insects are the major food source for bats, it is not surprising that their guano is loaded with this immunizing molecule. Working in the same way as chitin found in our krill meal, the chitin derived from guano acts to initiate a plant-wide immune response to chitin-containing pathogens such as insects and fungi. This prepares your crops to defend themselves.

Guano is also a quality source of amino acids, nucleic acids, proteins and minerals. In addition, it contains a wide range of molecules that stabilize and preserve the remaining nutrients in Nirvana.

Azomite

A pink clay mined from ancient volcanic deposits found in some parts of North America, Azomite stands for “A-to-Z-Of-Minerals-Including-Trace-Elements.” It is a complete, natural source of minerals and micronutrients to ensure proper nutritional support for your plants.

Yeast Extract

Yeast is used in many nutritional supplements, both human and plant, because it is an ample source of all 22 essential L-amino acids as well as proteins, minerals, and B vitamins. Specifically, yeast is praised as a source of the essential vitamins B1 and B6.

B1 is an important component of cellular biosynthesis reactions. It helps cells build things. B6 is needed to form amino acid and carbohydrates. It is also a powerful defence to the build up of toxic molecules caused by UV light, drought, and pollution. These toxic molecules can damage cells by destroying proteins, which would slow growth. Plants that have B6 deficiencies are smaller, yellowed, more sensitive to stress, and do not produce energy well. The yeast extract in Nirvana provides vitamin B6 to protect your cells from these toxins so they can grow bigger and better than you may have thought possible.

Enzymatically Hydrolyzed Soy Protein

Soy protein is another source of the 22 essential L-amino acids required to build cellular proteins. It also supplies carbohydrates, lipids and small proteins for easy synthesis of more complex molecules.

We emphasize that our soybean protein is digested using enzymes, not acid, because this process is known to ensure that the essential amino acids cysteine and tryptophan are not degraded and that all amino acids are made soluble in the active L form. Only L-amino acids are biologically active. In contrast, the common acid-hydrolysis process employed by some competitors destroys tryptophan and cysteine and converts many amino acids into their inactive D form.

clockworx

clockworx

Yucca Extract

Yucca extract is one of two natural surfactants included in Nirvana. Surfactants are agents that reduce the surface tension of a liquid and increase their “staying power.” This means that a very small amount of Nirvana will go a long way because surfactants help smaller volumes spread further, reach even the smallest of spaces, and stay there. In addition, Yucca extract has both polar and non-polar regions, similar to TRIA. This allows it to increase membrane permeability and help all types of nutrients enter the cell more easily.

Chilean Soap Bark Extract

Chilean soap bark (Quillaja saponaria) extract is the second natural surfactant in Nirvana. Like Yucca, it also increases nutrient mobility and membrane permeability, which allows each growth-promoting molecule to get to where it is most needed and be quickly absorbed. Chilean soap bark has also been found to promote plant resistance to certain pathogens and prevent viral infection in animal cells.

“We demonstrate that microgram amounts of extract, while exhibiting no cell cytotoxicity or direct virucidal activity, prevent each of the six viruses tested from infecting their host cells. In addition, the presence of residual amounts of extract continue to block viral infection and render cells resistant to infection for at least 16 hours after the removal of the extract from the cell culture media.”

Journal of General Virology. 2007. 88: 275-285

However, not all surfactants are created equal. Beware of competing products that may use cheap “detergent” or “ionic” type surfactants. These can be toxic to the environment, the beneficial microbes that help your plants grow, and even your plants themselves.

Humic Acid

Humic acid extracted from high quality leonardite assists the entry of all of Nirvana’s nutrients into the plant cells. Humic acids, or humates, are large organic molecules that carry many negative charges. This causes them to wrap around the positive charges found on minerals and vitamins for example. In this humate-coated form, the nutrients in Nirvana are carried into your plant’s roots or leaves and through each cell’s membrane. Advanced Nutrients’ formulation of humates makes Nirvana suited for foliar application or as part of a soil treatment.

Fulvic Acid

Fulvic acid is another type of humate. Like humic acid, fulvic acid coats nutrients in order to help pull them into cells. This also stabilizes them, preventing deterioration. A second property of fulvic acid is that it “quarantines” some dangerous toxins. This means it surrounds and inactivates them to prevent harm to your plants.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Good point on nectar. I'm always changing my foliars. Once every two weeks. All I feed with in veg and let my soil do the work. Maybe a top dress of insect frass and a marine compost.
Alfalfa a must. After stretch though. Primordial solutions is always in the garden also. How long do you normally veg?

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Man, Lucky charms number 2 is looking really interesting. That leaf structure is sick.

clockworx

clockworx

Good point on nectar. I'm always changing my foliars. Once every two weeks. All I feed with in veg and let my soil do the work. Maybe a top dress of insect frass and a marine compost.
Alfalfa a must. After stretch though. Primordial solutions is always in the garden also. How long do you normally veg?
Honestly, I have never timed my veg...I just watch the strains and whenever they have the structure I want and the roots to match they get flowered...I would say more than a month because I top, bend and clone them a bunch of times before they go in....

clockworx

clockworx

Man, Lucky charms number 2 is looking really interesting. That leaf structure is sick.
Yea man lucky #2 went from 1 leaf right to 5 so you already know its going to be a huge sativa, I just hope it won't get to big or take to long. I'm def going to flower these a little early, if it gets out of control it will get the chop asap. I know people will want to see it but if I know that I can't keep it around I'm not gonna waste time and space on it. I have a huge sativa going now that I should have chopped, they just aren't indoor plants but its too far along and has a ton of bud, its killing me right now and won't make the mistake of keeping one again.....I did the same thing with a DNA lemon skunk back in the day and that bitch almost took the roof off....

Top Bottom