Colorado outdoor activities.

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
whadaya say....i just may.....i make things out of clay...... lets take a walk to the bay

Funny but not quite the same

This site has gone to hell quick...back to the isle....

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Didn't mean to offend anyone. Just a fellow Coloradan joking around. Enjoy the weekend.

outwest

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hit the Gunnison today from 1pm to 530. Best day of the year so far. fish were hitting Headlite Caddis, one of my favorite Gunnison drys. Had the whole east side to myself. WET waded but mostly fished from bank. water slightly higher than the last 2 days on river, still very clear.
The river looks probaly the best ive ever seen for this or any time of year in the 10 years fishing the river. Water still pretty cold and the foam lines produce the most strikes. Hatch decent but no where near the way it gets in full summer on the Gunnie...
I fished a little over 1 mile up river pretty much moving the whole time. I dont understand some fisherman stand in the same spot for hours casting and casting. Fish aint dumb, they figure somethings up.
Today they were hiting the fly several times before hookin up. Most times they hit once and thats it. The Gunnison trout are very selective, wild trout,not that easy to catch, thats what makes it so much fun.... Meatloaf...

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Nice report, CM. Sounds like a good day on the river. What was your catch?

outwest

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Netted around a dozen or so. Had to keep one brown that sucked up fly deep into lung a good 16 incher, was bleeding so I knocked it out and will enjoy for breakfast. The rest were 12 to 14, nothing spectacular, but they fought well and swam off fast upon release, cooler weather and deeper water shrinkage was a factor...Gooseberry Pie....

GhostFace

GhostFace

Netted around a dozen or so. Had to keep one brown that sucked up fly deep into lung a good 16 incher, was bleeding so I knocked it out and will enjoy for breakfast. The rest were 12 to 14, nothing spectacular, but they fought well and swam off fast upon release, cooler weather and deeper water shrinkage was a factor...Gooseberry Pie....
whats the size for keepers? im an east coast saltwater guy myself so dont know much about fresh water fishies "yet"

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
whats the size for keepers? im an east coast saltwater guy myself so dont know much about fresh water fishies "yet"

Any size on the Gunnison, theres a limit, dont know hpw many , never keep more than 1

Corn on the cob...

K

kolah

I need to schedule me a road trip to Gunnie-ville. I could eat fresh fish every day...actually prefer it over redmeat.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Gunna do my chores, have a nice brunch with wife, then hit the Gunnie around 12.30.
Got a quart of strong coffee, will box up 75 dozen eggs or so, do a local egg delivery then back on the river. Got 3 days in last week, could fish everyday and never tire, a little stiff from yesterday but thats a good thing...Pickled pigs feet...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Fresh just picked wild Asparagus, fresh wild Brown Trout caught yeaterday...
Fish 006 800x600
Fish 013 800x600

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
On the grille, down the hatch....Be back on river soon!!!!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Very nice! Looks delicious.

outwest

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Fish was soft as butter....Goat meat sandwich...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Another nice afternoon on Gunnie... Occasional swarms of BWOs, Caddisis still on. All the fish are in excellant shape nice and fat. waters up just a bit, still clear, very nice. had all my favorite runs to myself once again. Caught 2 nice fat raimbows 16 and 18 inches, rest were Browns. Off to hot tub......Popcorn Surprise...Bet you all dont know what that is.....

putembk

putembk

Fresh just picked wild Asparagus, fresh wild Brown Trout caught yeaterday...View attachment 212814View attachment 212815
Nice 15" brownie, thanks for keeping only what you eat. You are so lucky to have the river right there. I have to drive 50 miles for any quality water. (Deckers) However it has been hurt by the sediment from all the fires. Maybe the forest service can start another one this summer. Stay tuned!!!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Will stop by and hike up to a hot run this morning before noon for 1 hour or so... Planing on an overniter Friday jet boat up, camp, mushout,

Top Bottom