curing nug the right way?

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

In a dry, low RH climate..the drying happens too fast..according to the maker. The 1st dry that I did had snapping stems after only 48 hrs. (his preset is 96 hrs, but is easily adjustable unlike the preset temperature.The buds on that one are still too dry, but VERY smokable, even after only a few days in jars. Someone is modding a presto dehydrator and also has the retail herbsnow to compare it too. His works and he4 is testing now. Hopefully he will post soon.
im only to page 16 thuis far,from what im reading not such a good thing,the frezzer thing look cool as shit tough hahaha,so do you recomend this way

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

im only to page 16 thuis far,from what im reading not such a good thing,the frezzer thing look cool as shit tough hahaha,so do you recomend this way
I am not ready to say yea or nay..I have had one winner, one apparent loser (for rosin pressing), and the third was just finished yesterday in the dryer
@Mr.jiujitsu has been at his longer then I have. There are tons of positive reviews and I have not seen a negative review by anyone that OWNS one. (YET)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I am not ready to say yea or nay..I have had one winner, one apparent loser (for rosin pressing), and the third was just finished yesterday in the dryer
@Mr.jiujitsu has been at his longer then I have. There are tons of positive reviews and I have not seen a negative review by anyone that OWNS one. (YET)
seems like it would fry your thric reason why lot of folks dont harvest with amber is for the speedy effects of the cloudy combs,all the heat seems like it would also cook the herb with drying it,im still not understanding the humidy and temp thing when a dehydrator works off slow heat,room temp would be void with forced heat,unless of course the difrence form this gadget in comparision to a reg dehydrator is the is no heating element in bottom of the machine,but then the room temp and hum would still be what really is happening,so forced wind right,same way i grow my herb,oh well dumb redneck aint gonna understand this one hahahah

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

seems like it would fry your thric reason why lot of folks dont harvest with amber is for the speedy effects of the cloudy combs,all the heat seems like it would also cook the herb with drying it,im still not understanding the humidy and temp thing when a dehydrator works off slow heat,room temp would be void with forced heat,unless of course the difrence form this gadget in comparision to a reg dehydrator is the is no heating element in bottom of the machine,but then the room temp and hum would still be what really is happening,so forced wind right,same way i grow my herb,oh well dumb redneck aint gonna understand this one hahahah
I THINK that it matters what temps and what RH the surrounding air is that the dryer pulls thru itself. Just a guess..mean time, I am NOT selling my own! LOL

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I THINK that it matters what temps and what RH the surrounding air is that the dryer pulls thru itself. Just a guess..mean time, I am NOT selling my own! LOL
ok thats what i figured also,how about smelling the house up?
a person could just sit this thing in a tent and with exhaust fan running getrdone hahahah,but temp and ro again no go with forced air

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I’m loving mine. I have three stacked to max still rotating as they finish up. Amazing smell and smoke. Again for me it’s a couple weeks in jars before the final result is in. I do find that if your not careful at the end you can over dry. Further you must have a delta between your room temp and humidity in my opinion for best results

just filled one earlier with these baby flowers

B9E97ABF 852B 4C37 BF65 CF2D06AB37A8
B9E97ABF 852B 4C37 BF65 CF2D06AB37A8

Bjagger

Bjagger

4 days seems a little too short, unless you have very small wispy buds.
A slow dry 6-10 days buds still on stems/branches. most leaves trimmed off.
complete darkness with slight air flow ( but not directly on buds).
dry out bud feels crisp, but still spongy.
Then I cut them off stems into a plastic grocery bag.(resin will not stick or absorb into it).
with plastic bag open I place it into a large paper grocery bag and roll it down a little.
then I set it on floor in closet, I check it every 4-6 hours.
First opening...stick your nose in the bag and smell. you want fresh, earthy, floral, sweet...
if its kinda grassy its too wet yet take out and let it air dry more.
if its smells ok, give the buds a gentle stirring and roll er back up.
some strains will change the smell through this but still smell good, it allows for a better transition between drying and curing.
When you go to jars after hanging, and they are not dry enough... they can go to bunk real quick.
But if you use the double bagger way, your buds will have a slower drying time (allows more chlorophyll to be released)
after a few days then I jar and burp...works for me every time. :)
I suppose everyone has their own curing methods. I don’t!! Maybe that’s why the weed smells like a freshly mown hayfield🤷‍♀️ after curing!!! I’ll try it your way. Thanks for sharing.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I suppose everyone has their own curing methods. I don’t!! Maybe that’s why the weed smells like a freshly mown hayfield🤷‍♀️ after curing!!! I’ll try it your way. Thanks for sharing.
@Bjagger, I recommend that the temperature and RH in the room be like 70dF and 50% RH for that type of dry. I am too lazy to do it, but imo traditional drying methods are best done as dry trimming, as opposed to wet trimming (major PIA too). With that said, I began this thread testing the Herbsnow drying machine. Before I begin..This thing does the complete opposite of everything that I thought In knew!

I have tried 3 plants with a 4th just in today..The 1st one was over dried, (my dumb) the 2nd was better, and the 3rd even better. This is the 1st time that I have cured without a Boveda 62 in the jar, as the buds seem to be re-hydrating nicely without a humid pack.

I remember back in the day that homegrown always smelled like hay. No one back then knew anything about slow drying and curing. The "other" weed we usually got was Mexicali Manure..El Bricko for short..I can't even begin to describe what that smelled like..No matter..we smoked it anyway! Of course there were times of feast..like Panama Red, Colombian Gold, Mowie Wowie, Tie Stick (my 1st Sensimellia)..Not the weed of today, but the real deal..not better..just different. I don't ever remember smelling or tasting the kind of weed grown today..Oh for a time machine..LOL!

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I find most people dry in hot rooms which dries the weed way too fast. As for curing, with a huge crop, opening all those jars is insane in the extreme.

Automate that shit.

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

I still haven't come up with a good drying location, I either have to dry in a semi lighted location, in a cold (40s to 60s) and dark location, or a hot and dark locale.....the best I've done is 3 days. Frustrating because I want to see what a 6 or 7 day dry does.
*so here's a dumbass story...I was of course smoking while I chopped my Afghani on December 26. I obviously started hanging stalks on a coat hanger behind a door then changed my mind....cut to January 28 and I close the door and stand there in complete disbelief. I had left a massive stalk and fat cola hanging there for over a month! DUH! I threw it in a jar (22 Grams) with 4 Bovidas. I'm surprised I was able to bring the humidity back to 60. We'll see how it smokes!!

Moshmen

Moshmen

@Bjagger, I recommend that the temperature and RH in the room be like 70dF and 50% RH for that type of dry. I am too lazy to do it, but imo traditional drying methods are best done as dry trimming, as opposed to wet trimming (major PIA too). With that said, I began this thread testing the Herbsnow drying machine. Before I begin..This thing does the complete opposite of everything that I thought In knew!

I have tried 3 plants with a 4th just in today..The 1st one was over dried, (my dumb) the 2nd was better, and the 3rd even better. This is the 1st time that I have cured without a Boveda 62 in the jar, as the buds seem to be re-hydrating nicely without a humid pack.

I remember back in the day that homegrown always smelled like hay. No one back then knew anything about slow drying and curing. The "other" weed we usually got was Mexicali Manure..El Bricko for short..I can't even begin to describe what that smelled like..No matter..we smoked it anyway! Of course there were times of feast..like Panama Red, Colombian Gold, Mowie Wowie, Tie Stick (my 1st Sensimellia)..Not the weed of today, but the real deal..not better..just different. I don't ever remember smelling or tasting the kind of weed grown today..Oh for a time machine..LOL!
Well said!

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
^^Lol.

A few years ago I had a bumper crop. And I mean bumper. I was so busy harvesting, trimming, curing and vac bagging that I had weed everywhere. Bins closets sheds... all over the place. Fast forward to spring and I'm doing a garage cleaning and don't I find a forgotten bin. 5 lbs. Then I found another lb in my shed. Woot.

But the funniest was putting some trimmed bud down on a table on my deck. About 3 weeks later I noticed them. They looked amazing and were the most beautiful golden color I've ever seen. All that rain and sunshine made them look like stars. I was in a rush so I just dumped it on the lawn. I should have tried it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

^^Lol.

A few years ago I had a bumper crop. And I mean bumper. I was so busy harvesting, trimming, curing and vac bagging that I had weed everywhere. Bins closets sheds... all over the place. Fast forward to spring and I'm doing a garage cleaning and don't I find a forgotten bin. 5 lbs. Then I found another lb in my shed. Woot.

But the funniest was putting some trimmed bud down on a table on my deck. About 3 weeks later I noticed them. They looked amazing and were the most beautiful golden color I've ever seen. All that rain and sunshine made them look like stars. I was in a rush so I just dumped it on the lawn. I should have tried it.

Had to be moldy if rained on no?

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

^^Lol.

I don't feel nearly as bad now!

Mush

Mush

i was curious as to what would be some methods for curing. so far i let em hang for about 4 days then depending on how moist i will throw em in jars and start burping them every 12- 15 hours or so. im finding that iim loosing a lot of the smells and the nug turns out "crispy" dried rather than a desirable cured dry, if that makes sense. Also should i be trimming all leaf off before i hang it or hang it with just the sugar leaves on it still? any tips or tricks that could help me?? thanks for looking

I read a book by Jorge Cervantes, Marijuana Horticulture the indoor/outdoor medical growers. It has a very informative section on curing. Ever since I used this method, I've been very impressed with the difference proper curing makes. And the flower doesn't dry out - even if it's left out for a few hours when it's cured this way. It's the best thing I've learned.

Otto Bonn

Otto Bonn

It may be in my head only but I think when I jar up buds and the humidity drifts up to mid/high 60s and I dump them to a tray for 10/15 minutes and re-jar they seem to become more flavorful. My stoner theory is that a few cycles of doing this allows the internal moisture and flavor to get pulled throughout the bud more effectively.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

It may be in my head only but I think when I jar up buds and the humidity drifts up to mid/high 60s and I dump them to a tray for 10/15 minutes and re-jar they seem to become more flavorful. My stoner theory is that a few cycles of doing this allows the internal moisture and flavor to get pulled throughout the bud more effectively.
Yep..Called burping.

Top Bottom