curious about people's credentials

• Thread starter dean1963
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This is part of the reason I DON'T have a proper indoor grow set up. I don't think my old ass house with its fabric wrapped wiring could handle one of the big fancy grow lights and all the accouterments that go with it. My little starter light and all the stuff in my ghetto closet set up give me sufficient anxiety... I need to make friends with an electrician lol.
Its easier than it sounds really if youre at all handy and have a 200 amp service to the house. Just need to plunk in a 40-60 Amp dual pole breaker in your breaker box and run tek cable to a subpanel, then run circuits off that. It sounds complicated but it's actually fairly easy, especially if you use armored wire outside the wall for the circuits. Can set the entire thing up, panel and a few circuits without even hooking it up, then have an electrician come by to wire the main cable in to your breaker box if you aren't comfortable with it. Hard wire the intermatic timers while you're at it. Can make all the circuits 20 amp and hardwire baseboards and outlets for AC, whatever. Really let's you get creative with equipment.
Took me a couple weeks of reading about it to learn how to wire up my shed on my own, and it hasn't burnt down yet lol.

TSD

TSD

Its easier than it sounds really if youre at all handy and have a 200 amp service to the house. Just need to plunk in a 40-60 Amp dual pole breaker in your breaker box and run tek cable to a subpanel, then run circuits off that. It sounds complicated but it's actually fairly easy, especially if you use armored wire outside the wall for the circuits. Can set the entire thing up, panel and a few circuits without even hooking it up, then have an electrician come by to wire the main cable in to your breaker box if you aren't comfortable with it. Hard wire the intermatic timers while you're at it. Can make all the circuits 20 amp and hardwire baseboards and outlets for AC, whatever. Really let's you get creative with equipment.
Took me a couple weeks of reading about it to learn how to wire up my shed on my own, and it hasn't burnt down yet lol.
Yeah we did that for the generator so it has it's own breaker if we need to plug it in. We do have a 200 amp service, It's the wiring in the walls that scares me, the breaker box itself is newer. The room I would prefer to use is on the second floor and the box is in the basement, so I'd either have to run new wire upstairs or put the tent in the basement, which isn't ideal. It's logistical really, I know electrical itself is pretty straightforward, if slightly terrifying lol... I dated an electrician for almost a decade... fucking douchebag. 🤣 Ideally we'd like the whole house rewired... it was built in like 1891... but that's a can of worms I'm not sure we really want to open... cause then we're gonna see all the other shit we need to fix that we're living with blissfully ignorant to right now lol... I know there's probably like no insulation in those walls upstairs, and God knows what else. It's preferable to slap lipstick on this pig and sell lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah we did that for the generator so it has it's own breaker if we need to plug it in. We do have a 200 amp service, It's the wiring in the walls that scares me, the breaker box itself is newer. The room I would prefer to use is on the second floor and the box is in the basement, so I'd either have to run new wire upstairs or put the tent in the basement, which isn't ideal. It's logistical really, I know electrical itself is pretty straightforward, if slightly terrifying lol... I dated an electrician for almost a decade... fucking douchebag. 🤣 Ideally we'd like the whole house rewired... it was built in like 1891... but that's a can of worms I'm not sure we really want to open... cause then we're gonna see all the other shit we need to fix that we're living with blissfully ignorant to right now lol... I know there's probably like no insulation in those walls upstairs, and God knows what else. It's preferable to slap lipstick on this pig and sell lol.
You've probably got plaster walls then I assume? The house wiring doesn't matter if the breaker box is new, you'd be running a big fat wire off the box to the sub.
But yeah, I'm no electrician by any means, I just do shit and try to make it not ugly, then hope it works haha.

Lipstick.. I'd put a damn hole out the wall of the house behind the breaker box to a waterproof LB and run the cable up the side of the house to the second floor to another LB, through the wall again and into the subpanel. Easier than repairing plaster walls imho. But I know nothing of plaster.
A house that old could be balloon framed also, which means no sill plate between floors so you could literally just drop the cable down the wall from floor 2 down to the breaker box without drilling chases out through the sill plates. Would be super straight forward for an electrician that's 420 friendly.

Last edited:
mrfreeze682

mrfreeze682

its crazy you posted a pic of the guy who hijacked that oil tanker… he was the only one left alive i think amongst the 5 pirates. Navy seals killed everyone. Long story short i was at U.S.P. Beaumont in Texas with him. Federal prison. He would shower for like 2 or 3 hours because he would say “ In my village we have no running water. A bath is a luxury.” It was a trip lol he was a cool dude but he had some stories amd he said he never wanted to prison because its one thousand times better than his country. Some of the shit he would say would stop everyone in their tracks cuz it was horrible… dont mind me im just high and saw the meme and thought i had to comment 😂

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

You've probably got plaster walls then I assume? The house wiring doesn't matter if the breaker box is new, you'd be running a big fat wire off the box to the sub.
But yeah, I'm no electrician by any means, I just do shit and try to make it not ugly, then hope it works haha.

Lipstick.. I'd put a damn hole out the wall of the house behind the breaker box to a waterproof LB and run the cable up the side of the house to the second floor to another LB, through the wall again and into the subpanel. Easier than repairing plaster walls imho. But I know nothing of plaster.
A house that old could be balloon framed also, which means no sill plate between floors so you could literally just drop the cable down the wall from floor 2 down to the breaker box without drilling chases out through the sill plates. Would be super straight forward for an electrician that's 420 friendly.
Don't forget about properly sizing your sub box.

Had an install where the owner wanted to buy all the material to save some money. The sub box she bought was too small for the power we were going to be putting through it. She insisted it was the correct box and told us she would take responsibility for it since her friend had been the one that told her it was ok. The electrician refused to install it saying it was a fire hazard. She took me to the side and told me she didn't want the electrician on the job anymore because she felt he wasn't experienced enough since her friend was insistent that it was correct and that we were just trying to gouge her into buying an overpriced box. The problem was the buzzbar was too small and would melt with all that power going through it. Since this was a "stealth" grow whatever happened was the owners responsibility. The electrician and I sat her down and explained why the box was not right. She got upset and fired he and I on the spot and got someone else to finish the job.

A month later I see a bunch of commotion going on near where she lived and drove by her place to see what was going on.

Firetrucks......

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

This is part of the reason I DON'T have a proper indoor grow set up. I don't think my old ass house with its fabric wrapped wiring could handle one of the big fancy grow lights and all the accouterments that go with it. My little starter light and all the stuff in my ghetto closet set up give me sufficient anxiety... I need to make friends with an electrician lol.
Please be careful with that stuff. I had 2 of my aunts and a cousin die in a house fire because their cloth wrapped wiring shorted out.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Don't forget about properly sizing your sub box.

Had an install where the owner wanted to buy all the material to save some money. The sub box she bought was too small for the power we were going to be putting through it. She insisted it was the correct box and told us she would take responsibility for it since her friend had been the one that told her it was ok. The electrician refused to install it saying it was a fire hazard. She took me to the side and told me she didn't want the electrician on the job anymore because she felt he wasn't experienced enough since her friend was insistent that it was correct and that we were just trying to gouge her into buying an overpriced box. The problem was the buzzbar was too small and would melt with all that power going through it. Since this was a "stealth" grow whatever happened was the owners responsibility. The electrician and I sat her down and explained why the box was not right. She got upset and fired he and I on the spot and got someone else to finish the job.

A month later I see a bunch of commotion going on near where she lived and drove by her place to see what was going on.

Firetrucks......
110%. I used a main panel I scored from a buddy doing a reno. Plus it was free, and I love free. Has a locking main in it since I took this pic, but used it like this for years.

I suppose I shouldn't be encouraging people to do their own electrical lol... I only know enough to not kill myself or burn the place down. Code? What code...
20220117 205052

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
my house was built in the 1920's - i'm sure the mice have chewed off all my wires wrapping lol

D

dean1963

c,mon people for christ sakes if your not 100% sure you know what your doing with electrical THEN DON'T FUCK WITH IT.
code,what code?
cloth wrapped wiring?
knob and tube?
100 amp service?
etc.etc..
this all just looking for a fire and when, not if, it happens i really hope you escape alive.

yes i know it's expensive to upgrade to 200 amp as i just did it recently, but i can sleep nice knowing i won't burn my family alive in the middle of the night.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

c,mon people for christ sakes if your not 100% sure you know what your doing with electrical THEN DON'T FUCK WITH IT.
code,what code?
cloth wrapped wiring?
knob and tube?
100 amp service?
etc.etc..
this all just looking for a fire and when, not if, it happens i really hope you escape alive.

yes i know it's expensive to upgrade to 200 amp as i just did it recently, but i can sleep nice knowing i won't burn my family alive in the middle of the night.
Yes. Electrical is something you really don't want to mess with unless you know what you're doing. I have a pretty good grasp of it but I still get a licensed electrician to do the work. Cutting corners in certain areas is a good thing except for when you're talking about electrical.

Kind of like the brakes on your car. If the job isn't done correctly the consequences could be terrible.

sambapati

sambapati

You mean you're not an expert after your first successful grow? Shit, you better put out a memo on the farm, pretty sure I've seen a few people here that missed that one. 🤣
They say it takes at least 10,000 to be an expert on anything... I'm sure there are many here that have far surpassed that... even without counting the hours spent getting stoned and staring at your plants whispering "what the fuck is happening?" 🤣
As long ad you're whispering And not Screaming Blue Murder

sambapati

sambapati

I am a medical health care provider as a "special attendant" for quads Paraplegic ect. I also am a certified master gardener thru Texas A&M from 1983 so yea I am a bit older, old enough to have smoked real "Skunky" weed, Panama Red, Columbian Gold,ect. A farmer I am, expert, no sorry SS
You are also a good correspondent and appreciate the encouragement UV provided moi.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

110%. I used a main panel I scored from a buddy doing a reno. Plus it was free, and I love free. Has a locking main in it since I took this pic, but used it like this for years.

I suppose I shouldn't be encouraging people to do their own electrical lol... I only know enough to not kill myself or burn the place down. Code? What code...
View attachment 1333571
Doing electrical is fine if you know what you're doing. Basic stuff like rewiring plugs and outlets or running line to the main panel is easy but doing stuff like I mentioned before with a powered switch would be way out of my league and I wouldn't want to chance it. I use to do the same thing as you until one day I had wired in some 120v equipment into a 240v line. Thankfully the electrician I had on site at the time noticed it after he smelled burning vinyl and shut off the main breaker before it ignited. That was the last time I tried to cut corners on electrical.

I use to do home renovations on the side so I got to rehab alot of electrical boxes and switches. My favorite stuff was obviously main panels and sub boxes but I loved it whenever I could score a clean fused knife switched box to run the 240v stuff.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Doing electrical is fine if you know what you're doing. Basic stuff like rewiring plugs and outlets or running line to the main panel is easy but doing stuff like I mentioned before with a powered switch would be way out of my league and I wouldn't want to chance it. I use to do the same thing as you until one day I had wired in some 120v equipment into a 240v line. Thankfully the electrician I had on site at the time noticed it after he smelled burning vinyl and shut off the main breaker before it ignited. That was the last time I tried to cut corners on electrical.

I use to do home renovations on the side so I got to rehab alot of electrical boxes and switches. My favorite stuff was obviously main panels and sub boxes but I loved it whenever I could score a clean fused knife switched box to run the 240v stuff.
Yeah it's risky with 240 running through a standard outlet. We only had to fry one $350 atomizer by plugging it into a 240v outlet by accident to come up with a system.. after that we mounted the 240's upside down and used metal covers with "240" written above them, and mounted them up high on the wall a couple feet above eye level. The 120's we'd mount right side up, plastic covers marked 120 and mounted waist high. Was a decent system nobody fucked up after that.

Hard wired stuff is either single or dual pole breaker, so harder to fuck that up. Only things I hardwired in to my personal grow shed is the timer going to the 240v lamp outlets and my baseboard heater. Everything else is plug and play.

T

thetennispredict

I played a lot of sports through my life from Baseball, Hockey, Golf, Tennis, Ping Pong, Cycling++++ and I hit more than 10,000 golf balls, ping pong balls tennis balls hockey pucks & cycling miles and although I became competent...an expert I was not........lol.......just saying....I am an expert smoker though That I have a certificate for........⬆️
+1 I went for horticulture out of high school but back then applying it to cannibus wasn't on anyone's radar. It was all nursery management jobs and propagating.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
+1 I went for horticulture out of high school but back then applying it to cannibus wasn't on anyone's radar. It was all nursery management jobs and propagating.
Same here. I met a lot of pot growers in my first year though lol, typical for Kwantlen in BC hort programs. When I discovered you could only get crappy low paying jobs at nurseries and greenhouses and that all the head growers making decent scratch had Dutch last names, I switched gears over to turf second year.

Lockebox

Lockebox

You mean you're not an expert after your first successful grow? Shit, you better put out a memo on the farm, pretty sure I've seen a few people here that missed that one. 🤣
They say it takes at least 10,000 to be an expert on anything... I'm sure there are many here that have far surpassed that... even without counting the hours spent getting stoned and staring at your plants whispering "what the fuck is happening?" 🤣
Hahaha guilty! 🙋 I knew so much more when I completed my first harvest then I do now somehow... ;) The natural flow:

Beginner with no idea up from down ->

Sudden expert giving advice with one harvest under belt->

Grows getting worse not better->

Humble dumbass realizing I know less now than I did a year ago 😁

TSD

TSD

Hahaha guilty! 🙋 I knew so much more when I completed my first harvest then I do now somehow... ;) The natural flow:

Beginner with no idea up from down ->

Sudden expert giving advice with one harvest under belt->

Grows getting worse not better->

Humble dumbass realizing I know less now than I did a year ago 😁
Nah... every grow presents a new opportunity to fuck shit up regardless of how experiencedyou are lol. I like to fuck at least one thing up every grow... just to be sure I'm still learning shit. 😆

Top Bottom