Dark Purple Disease Affecting New Growth?

• Thread starter browntrout
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tootallfortents

For anyone still interested. I have had this happen recently with clones and belief if to be die to humidity issues.
I was trying a couple of runs leaving extra foliage on the lowers and left the dome on for the same time as usual before beginning opening vents. Also probably too much moisture from spraying, so will be spraying domw lid only to test.
Most of them ended up identical, probably worse than seen here bit the mother's are very healthy. So I'd say this to be very likely moisture/humidity related

NugNutz

NugNutz

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Temps have been hot: 28-31C Day / 15-22C Night with 75-85% humidity Avg.

Appears to be affecting all plants in the garden except a freezeland/timewarp strain that had flowered itself and was in and out of veg/flower all summer. Other than that some 15 or 16 strains of varying age have been affected.
I had this happening in veg ( they turned out to be auto flowers), started in one bed, and now I see it in another bed 10 feet across with photos in late veg. Seems to be spreading.

T

Tootallfortents

I can pretty much guarantee its moisture issues after a few more tests leaving more foliage on some trays, not on others and leaving more foliage but not leaving vents and lids on as long.
The ones with less foliage were fine, the ones with more but taking opening vents and lid sooner were 95% fine. Ones I left both foliage and vents etc closed a little longer were identical to this 👌

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Ours did it again this year, and we were having a mild drought. No moisture issues. These were big plants, and not cuttings. We had this happen to over 500 plants. And 8 different strains. Weve been battling this problem for at least 6 years. Totally ruined the wholle crop. Maybe 4-5 plants out of 500+ didnt get it, but the season isnt over yet either.

mike1980

mike1980

Ours did it again this year, and we were having a mild drought. No moisture issues. These were big plants, and not cuttings. We had this happen to over 500 plants. And 8 different strains. Weve been battling this problem for at least 6 years. Totally ruined the wholle crop. Maybe 4-5 plants out of 500+ didnt get it, but the season isnt over yet either.
Yep me to. Sprayed with fungicide out of desperation but probably won't help. Maybe one day someone will 100% find out what it is. Last year mine pretty much grew out of it.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I messaged Ed Rosenthal on Facebook, and also sent several photos. Maybe he will respond. I think someone mesaged him long ago, and they never reported back, so I assume Ed didnt answer.

mike1980

mike1980

I messaged Ed Rosenthal on Facebook, and also sent several photos. Maybe he will respond. I think someone mesaged him long ago, and they never reported back, so I assume Ed didnt answer.
Awesome please update if you hear back

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Still havent heard anything.

Heres the PDF for a book that describes many many different marijuana diseases ect. On the cover it has a similar looking photo of whats happening, but is a different color. The plant on the cover is doing this because of a phosphorus lockout die to cold temperatures, which couldnt be whats happening to ours, as the temps werent below 75f at night. So ours isnt cold phosphorus lockout.

Heres the book cover, and the PDF for the book. I read it last night, and didnt come up with anything, but theres a ton of info, and I may have missed something. Everyone interested check it out, and give it a good read.

Last edited:
J

JohnnyButtons

This is not a disease, not related to weather, not a phosphorous deficiency or lockout, not related to cold weather, and certainly isn't burn from the sun.

It is a virus. It's a cousin of tobacco mosaic virus. Once your plants are infected, there is no getting rid of it. It is spread easily from plant to plant by pruning or simply touching plants. You can infect your plant if you use any form of tobacco. Sucking insects will certainly spread the virus too.

The best way to minimize damage is bumping up potassium levels and silicon seems to help as well. Weekly treatments of potassium has minimized the purpling in my plants. Unfortunately, it will impact yield.

J

JohnnyButtons

See my post below

J

JohnnyButtons

I can pretty much guarantee its moisture issues after a few more tests leaving more foliage on some trays, not on others and leaving more foliage but not leaving vents and lids on as long.
The ones with less foliage were fine, the ones with more but taking opening vents and lid sooner were 95% fine. Ones I left both foliage and vents etc closed a little longer were identical to this 👌
It's not. It's a virus. See my post.

J

JohnnyButtons

So one problem I’m going to fix for next year is that they don’t get morning sun to evaporate all the dew quickly. The sun rises from the left of this picture and goes to the right throughout the day. One picture has a candy striped leafhopper, found one a couple days ago. The rest are just updates. Much deeper green than before, but still black/purple present.View attachment 1157200
It's a virus. See my post

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

On a couple of other forums Ive always stated I thought it was some kind of virus, or bacteria. Possibly spread by leaf hoppers. Leaf hoppers are everywhere in my neck of the woods. I agree its some kind of virus. What the name is, is my next question.

J

JohnnyButtons

Try wetable sulfur for your leaf spot (Bonide makes a good one). Remove infected leaves and burn. Clean tools after every snip so you dont spread it.
If the plants are full veg, just spray a good fungicide. Daconil will wipe it out and will be 100% gone in 14 days. All of our vegetables are sprayed with fungicides. It's all about days to harvest. Yes, your "organic" vegetables are sprayed too.
On a couple of other forums Ive always stated I thought it was some kind of virus, or bacteria. Possibly spread by leaf hoppers. Leaf hoppers are everywhere in my neck of the woods.
Yup. Leaf hoppers will do it. I found out through one of my fertilizer manufacturers. They distribute to high end growers. He made a call to them, sand sent them pictures. They diagnosed and have me a remedy. It works fairly well.

J

JohnnyButtons

On a couple of other forums Ive always stated I thought it was some kind of virus, or bacteria. Possibly spread by leaf hoppers. Leaf hoppers are everywhere in my neck of the woods. I agree its some kind of virus. What the name is, is my next question.
If it were a bacteria, that would be easy. Unfortunately, viruses can't be eliminated

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

If it were a bacteria, that would be easy. Unfortunately, viruses can't be eliminated
Yeah at that point I was only guessing. But always thought it was probably spread by leaf hoppers whatever it was. So Daconil is the cure?? Plus using treatments of Potassium and silica, or both?? We alreay add 0-0-52 into the soil, and the Azomite we use is loaded with silica. Id be afraid to add more Potassium since were using 0-0-52.

J

JohnnyButtons

Backyard amateur grower here - never had this problem but it started with one plant and has spead to two others. Tried ladybugs, CalMg and sulphur. still marching on...any advice? Many thanks to those who posted thoughtfully on this thread for 2 years
It's a virus result spread. See my post

J

JohnnyButtons

Yeah at that point I was only guessing. But always thought it was probably spread by leaf hoppers whatever it was. So Daconil is the cure?? Plus using treatments of Potassium and silica, or both?? We alreay add 0-0-52 into the soil, and the Azomite we use is loaded with silica. Id be afraid to add more Potassium since were using 0-0-52.
No, I was replying to another post about leaf spot. DAC will stop it in its tracks.

A good chelated form of potassium will help. If you can find silicon it seems to help too. I've also made a foliar application of potassium too. Can't say whether it helped or not because I was doing a soil drench too. It can't hurt though.

I run a golf course so I have access to high quality liquid fertilizers. I use redox products. I could go on a whole rant about how most backyard growers are getting ripped off at an astonishing r rate. Save that for another time. My rates won't matter to most issues you're using redox products. I would play around with the K and Si though. Some P can't hurt either.

J

JohnnyButtons

So silica and silicon are different. Silicon is usually used for turgidity but seems to help. If you're using a granular form of K, you may not be getting good uptake. I use straight liquid. fertilizers are made dramatically differently. Chelation makes a huge difference in the plants ability to take up that nutrient.

Top Bottom