Day 8 of my first Grow

• Thread starter RicketyCricket
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RicketyCricket

Some pictures from today, does anyone have a rough idea how long I have left before it's time to harvest?

20230418 090042

20230418 090013

20230418 085937

Eledin

Eledin

Still weeks, if you dont wanna check trichomes every day just wait til half of the stigmas are curled and orange/brown. When you have 10 to 30% trichomes amber is the best time to harvest, some strains need more than 10% amber to have a fair ammount of cloudy and some are okay to harvest with 10% amber if you want a more cerebral sativa high. 30% will give you a balanced high and more will probably give you a couch lock indica effect. Inside amber trichomes THC degrades into CBN which has similar effects to CBD, but you dont want a lot of clear trichomes, those are not full of THC til cloudy, you want as many cloudy/milky as possible so even if you want a sativa high some will turn amber before most of them are milky. How much PK and base fertilizer are you using? What brand? And when did you start using PK? You have waaay too many burned tips. They look overwatered or light stressed and overfed. I would remove the fan leaves that are completely yellow and creating shade. Once the leaf is fully yellow there's not much use left to them, it will end up drying and dying soon. Just the yellow ones in the bottom/middle section creating shade, the ones on the top are not fully yellow yet.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

I've noticed a couple of the lower leaves are starting to discolour. Is there something that could be causing it?

View attachment 1336513
I had this happen to me to a completely healthy plant and after a lot of research turns out that it was genetical, its like some kind of albinism in weed. But it could be something else too, some symptoms are almost identical for several problems.
EDIT: Couldnt edit my previous post so these are the leaves you wanna get rid of. The ones below those are green and being shadowed by those almost dead leaves.

Last edited:
R

RicketyCricket

Thanks very much for the replies, I've given up trying to quote posts on my phone so I'll just reply to everyone at once!

For the past week or so I have been only using pure water with a ph of 6.5 instead of aquarium water. I thought I was getting close to the end so I thought I'd start flushing. I believe a lot of the damage to the leaves was caused by my lights being far to close in the old, smaller tent. They were literally touching the plant for a few days!

I have been checking the trichomes and they're all still clear.

I got in and took some closer pictures of the larger buds, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for when you say chubbed up😂

20230418 203848

20230418 203906

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thanks very much for the replies, I've given up trying to quote posts on my phone so I'll just reply to everyone at once!

For the past week or so I have been only using pure water with a ph of 6.5 instead of aquarium water. I thought I was getting close to the end so I thought I'd start flushing. I believe a lot of the damage to the leaves was caused by my lights being far to close in the old, smaller tent. They were literally touching the plant for a few days!

I have been checking the trichomes and they're all still clear.

I got in and took some closer pictures of the larger buds, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for when you say chubbed up😂

View attachment 1352292
View attachment 1352290
don’t be flushing.. firstly it’s non sense and secondly you still have a wayzz to go., they are hungry..

R

RicketyCricket

OK, no more flushing! I have only been watering with aquarium water and calmag so far. I did notice the increased number of water changes had made the nitrates in the aquarium undetectable on my test kits so this could make sense. What's the best way to fix it?

Eledin

Eledin

OK, no more flushing! I have only been watering with aquarium water and calmag so far. I did notice the increased number of water changes had made the nitrates in the aquarium undetectable on my test kits so this could make sense. What's the best way to fix it?
Using a liquid fertilizer for weed in bloom, that way you ensure that the NPK ratio is the optimal for weed. If you put too much of one nutrient you burn the plant and prevent it from taking other nutrients. They are not expensive if you only have a couple of plants and you will get more than what you spent back in weed. I usually recommend advanced nutrients because its very complete, available everywhere (Im from Spain so I dont know if there is a better, cheaper option in the US). You can either go with sensi bloom or conoisseur bloom or if you wanna spend a little more for a high quality product iguana juice bloom and ancient earth. Ancient earth will keep your ph optimal in the soil because it has leonardite. If you plan on growing again I would also recommend that you get the grow version of whichever one you use aswell. If you wanna maximize production even more get a PK fertilizer those are used around the week 3 of bloom until flushing or harvest if you dont flush, and a carbohydrate fertilizer. Overdrive is PK with magnesisum and a hint of nitrogen and Bud Candy is carbohydrates from advanced nutrients, but you can find cheaper alternatives. You use them mixed with the bloom base fertilizer in the indicated dose. Usually people dont go for the full dose since some plants cant take it, specially when theyre not big yet, you can use from 25% (during veg not bloom) to 75% (when its already big) of the dose depending on how big your plants are.

R

RicketyCricket

I have some BioBozz bloom here but I was worried that the aquarium water plus the fertiliser already in the soil would end up being too much. I'll start adding it when I next water!

I'll also look for your other suggestions and see what I can get, I'm in the far north of Scotland so it's basically just what I can find on amazon!

Eledin

Eledin

I wouldnt keep using the aquarium water, that could keep messing with the ratios. If you wanna add like 25% and see how it goes go ahead but if you keep adding aquarium water your ratios might never be good. Biobizz bloom is good, it also has carbohydrates to fatten the buds and something to lower the ph, I cant remember what specifically.

R

RicketyCricket

Yeah I'll move to RO if I'm going to use the Biobizz, it'll be much easier to know exactly what's going in! Thanks very much for all your help! I'll keep you all updated!

Eledin

Eledin

Its a pleassure. By the way, the biobizz feeding chart makes you use bio grow during all the grow, not only in veg, so if you have it add the recommended dose aswell as bio bloom is inteded to be used with bio grow to mantain a good NPK ratio. Bloom has a NPK ratio of 2-7-4, I think its too much phosphorus just by itself. Bio grow complements with 4-3-6 making it more balanced, you need that potassium in late flowering.
Here is the chart:

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Its a pleassure. By the way, the biobizz feeding chart makes you use bio grow during all the grow, not only in veg, so if you have it add the recommended dose aswell as bio bloom is inteded to be used with bio grow to mantain a good NPK ratio. Bloom has a NPK ratio of 2-7-4, I think its too much phosphorus just by itself. Bio grow complements with 4-3-6 making it more balanced, you need that potassium in late flowering.
Here is the chart:
With you having a fish tank I would personally go full organic fertilizer next round. That fish water is incredible. You can control the npk buy adjusting the fish's food types somewhat.

Eledin

Eledin

With you having a fish tank I would personally go full organic fertilizer next round. That fish water is incredible. You can control the npk buy adjusting the fish's food types somewhat.
Im all for using anything that is at hand, I make my own root booster with germinated lentils, sometimes use banana peel tea (local organic, I wont put nasty chemicals in my plants), I definetely use egg shells since I reuse the soil, also make my own calcium mixing them with vinegar and I heard about using fish tank water before but I guess he needs to check how to get the proper NPK as you said, because it clearly isnt at the plants liking. Maybe using organics he wont have much trouble but I assume he will still want to check about what fish food he should use if he didnt already. Im wondering if it also depends on how many fish you have... never had a fish tank so I dont really know about that stuff.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I couldn't NOT get the hang of that jewelers loupe with the higher zoom lenses so I've got myself a wee digital microscope. How are these trichomes looking?

Getting there bud. Hang on a bit longer. Still lots of clear.

Practice with the scope. When you see most are cloudy with some amber you’re good.

I’d rather have more amber than clear but cloudy is what most people want.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Im all for using anything that is at hand, I make my own root booster with germinated lentils, sometimes use banana peel tea (local organic, I wont put nasty chemicals in my plants), I definetely use egg shells since I reuse the soil, also make my own calcium mixing them with vinegar and I heard about using fish tank water before but I guess he needs to check how to get the proper NPK as you said, because it clearly isnt at the plants liking. Maybe using organics he wont have much trouble but I assume he will still want to check about what fish food he should use if he didnt already. Im wondering if it also depends on how many fish you have... never had a fish tank so I dont really know about that stuff.
Back 20+years ago I used to have cichlids the south American type. I had a 40tall and a 50gal that I would change the water and dump it in the flower bed. Well the flowers on the side I dumped the water were crazy. My wife asked wtf did I put on them do the rest. I had to think about it and the next water change 🤯. I wasn't sure so I watered the whole bed. Well sure enough they all were super healthy. I used it on everything outside up until about 8years ago I sold my last 100gal to make room. I used a sucker to suck the rocks at the bottom of the tank.

R

RicketyCricket

Thanks Zen_Seeker, I definitely need a bit more practice with it. Might be easier after I've had a bong later and my hands a bit steadier....

Novaracer, my problem is my large tanks are saltwater. The water I take for watering is from my only freshwater tank and its only 30l so if I'm taking 2litres at a time for watering I end up doing huge water changes, percentage-wise, over the course of the week.

I think this is why I ended up having to add some nutrients, the water in the tank ended up being too clean. You'd have been fine with your bigger tanks because 2 litres out of 190l (50 of your weird US gallons😉) wouldn't change the chemistry all that much! Good excuse for another tank if I can convince my missus.

R

RicketyCricket

Hi everyone, just checked on the plant and it seems its no longer able to support the weight of its buds. The whole plant is leaning over against the side of the grow tent? Is that normal? I take it its OK to try and tie it up straight with plant wire?

Top Bottom