Defoliation Side By Side - Bushy Plants

• Thread starter FatManatee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dasnip

Dasnip

IMG 20190902 070253

If I can be completely honest what I see in this pic is a lot of small leaves growing out of the bud trying to compensate for the lack of foliage elsewhere. This mirrors the results I got the one time I tried heavy defoliation. I got buds that were more spongy than usual and they had tons of small leaves growing out of the bud exactly like that pic.

I find there is a point you can strip a plant to before this happens, and it's a fine line. I always err on the side of caution and leave on a few more than I think I need.
But the real question is how did it smoke

Dasnip

Dasnip

This is OG Kush so I don't know what you grew I'd be really interested in how it turned out for you. I'm an open-minded kind of guy

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This is OG Kush so I don't know what you grew I'd be really interested in how it turned out for you. I'm an open-minded kind of guy

The strain I tried it on was space cookies and I only did it to one plant in the room to see for myself what a real stripping would do. And I got buds that looked like yours that were full of tiny single blade leaves poking out. Unfortunately I dont have a pic as It was a couple years ago on a different phone. But It usually looks like this. Notice it still has some sugar leaves but you can clearly see the flowers, not just little leaves all over the bud.

Try it sometime and see for yourself, let a plant keep most of its leaves and see what happens.

20190322 155250

Dasnip

Dasnip

The strain I tried it on was space cookies and I only did it to one plant in the room to see for myself what a real stripping would do. And I got buds that looked like yours that were full of tiny single blade leaves poking out. Unfortunately I dont have a pic as It was a couple years ago on a different phone. But It usually looks like this. Notice it still has some sugar leaves but you can clearly see the flowers, not just little leaves all over the bud.

Try it sometime and see for yourself, let a plant keep most of its leaves and see what happens.

View attachment 893363
Very nice brother very nice

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That little guy reminds me of one of my sea of green plants back in the day. Also dont mean to pick on ya but your smaller plant looks really wet too, are you spraying it with something? You should really try and keep the plants as dry as possible at this stage of flower to prevent budrot and mildew etc.. Sorry dont mean to be picking on ya just offering some constructive criticism.
The taller plants looks nice and healthy!

Dasnip

Dasnip

That little guy reminds me of one of my sea of green plants back in the day. Also dont mean to pick on ya but your smaller plant looks really wet too, are you spraying it with something? You should really try and keep the plants as dry as possible at this stage of flower to prevent budrot and mildew etc.. Sorry dont mean to be picking on ya just offering some constructive criticism.
The taller plants looks nice and healthy!
Thanks no the little guy had just taken his morning shower that's it

Dasnip

Dasnip

When he takes is morning shower before feeding it's really usually 78 degrees 80 degrees just the way it goes here in FL

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I only prune when nessasary. You are better of leaf tucking, flower grows on branches and of course you want them in the light but when your doing a scrog grow like that you can prune a bit to improve airflow in your case pruneing is unnecessary.

Dasnip

Dasnip

I only prune when nessasary. You are better of leaf tucking, flower grows on branches and of course you want them in the light but when your doing a scrog grow like that you can prune a bit to improve airflow in your case pruneing is unnecessary.
Things have progressed incredibly since I regularly used to grow cannabis now and thanks
IMG 20190906 182343
I'm learning more and more

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Im growing 3 smallish sweet gelato autoflowers, they just finished there growth spurt so u do not want to interrupt that, yesterday i pruned off 1 set of fans to get my main branches into the light, some autoflowers take pruneing just fine, others dislike it, so as my plants grow and really start to flower i will know how my plants react if there is no problem i know i can prune off 1 more lower set leave all the lower fans alone, sometimes this will bush out your plant low while the plant still is growing upward with the fans off my flower my branches will grow and thicken and more importantly be in the light beacuse at the end of the day thats where the flower grows, today my plants seem to be fine i will see if that little prune slows them much and i will know if the strain likes to be pruned or not, u must remember im running autoflowers not photos im going to post a pic of an autoflower that i have pruned extensively, ok thats cotton candy cane note how i left most of the fans low on the plant? But pruned extensively to get my branches into the light? Some people say u cant prune autos but some do not mind it at all, note how the plant bushed out low but still grew nice and tall? For some stains and im talking autos they luv to be pruned and its benificial, others dont like it.

20181007 094253
Migrower

Migrower

How does a plant make bigger, better frostier flowers with less leaves?

I think you're missing the point of what a leaf actually does @Dirtbag.

Leaves do many things and have many functions.

@Dirtbag you mentioned that more leaves create a more humid environment and that somehow is a bad thing. I don't think you have any science to back that up.

Leaves transpire for several reasons. One of which is to maintain the optimal local to the leaf environment. A micro climate right at the leaf surface. The leaves do this so they can perform the primary duty of a leaf and that is to use chlorophyll to produce sugars for the plant to use where and when the plant needs them.

The other major leaf function as mentioned is transpiration. Leaves transpire so that water along with nutrients from the soil thru the roots into the vascular system bring nutrients and water the plants need to grow and survive. Less transpiration, less plant biomass including flowers. This is science.

Your argument, less leaves bigger flowers is flawed.
This is a argument that will continue for a while. By “science” which I must say is ever changing.The theory of reducing leaves to produce larger yields dont make sense. Everything you just stated about the leaves function is 100 accurate. Now in saying that, I have seen the benefits of “pruning” select defoliation work wonders. I’ve also seen a plant left unprunned yet trained, overgrown and starved for vigor. This will always depend on your environment,strain and experience of the grower. I believe pruning leaves is a very essential tool to have in the bag.

Dasnip

Dasnip

This is a argument that will continue for a while. By “science” which I must say is ever changing.The theory of reducing leaves to produce larger yields dont make sense. Everything you just stated about the leaves function is 100 accurate. Now in saying that, I have seen the benefits of “pruning” select defoliation work wonders. I’ve also seen a plant left unprunned yet trained, overgrown and starved for vigor. This will always depend on your environment,strain and experience of the grower. I believe pruning leaves is a very essential tool to have in the bag.
Excellent we're back to the subject at hand 😁

Top Bottom