Defoliation Side By Side - Bushy Plants

• Thread starter FatManatee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I want to comment on leaf tucking. I think it is a discussion forum compromise to not knowing if we should trim leaves or not.

I feel it is a bad practice. The leaves need air flow to eliminate stale humid pockets of air and moisture that will collect on them.

I have had to peel stuck together from moisture leaves apart.

And air flow is the only reason to trim leaves if our lighting is sufficient. Leaves are not solid like we see them. They are more like a filter to the plant. They are designed to let different light waves pass through them or collect the photons for different processes.

I keep reading the word “science” when what is being said is what we call “bro science”.

chemistry

chemistry

I hate to rip leaves off, goes against the grain to grow the best veg plant you can, then rip it's energy giving leaves off. But, if I come across a leaf that's wet, it comes off, Powdery Mildew would love that. Also, Thrips will change your no leaf ripping plans, the more leaves you have touching other plants, the more bridges you have left for the Thrips to move from plant to plant. So just ripping them for the sake of it is dumb, but if it's part of a wider plan to cure a problem, then you have to do it. Most rippers grow to many plants for the space they have. lol

Dasnip

Dasnip

I hate to rip leaves off, goes against the grain to grow the best veg plant you can, then rip it's energy giving leaves off. But, if I come across a leaf that's wet, it comes off, Powdery Mildew would love that. Also, Thrips will change your no leaf ripping plans, the more leaves you have touching other plants, the more bridges you have left for the Thrips to move from plant to plant. So just ripping them for the sake of it is dumb, but if it's part of a wider plan to cure a problem, then you have to do it. Most rippers grow to many plants for the space they have. lol
These last two comments have been extremely well-thought-out and presented

H

hawkman

I want to comment on leaf tucking. I think it is a discussion forum compromise to not knowing if we should trim leaves or not.

I feel it is a bad practice. The leaves need air flow to eliminate stale humid pockets of air and moisture that will collect on them.

I have had to peel stuck together from moisture leaves apart.

And air flow is the only reason to trim leaves if our lighting is sufficient. Leaves are not solid like we see them. They are more like a filter to the plant. They are designed to let different light waves pass through them or collect the photons for different processes.

I keep reading the word “science” when what is being said is what we call “bro science”.
tucking/bending work well & less stress from defoliation - use both as needed !

Padrepuff

Padrepuff

F Man, I want to thank for sharing this very informative grow. You've answered a lot of questions this newbie had and I do appreciate all the work you've put into this forum.
That
is the s
same reason I read and take notes on everything before I start my first attempt.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I believe in removing only the leaves blocking large bud sites that block light penetration. So just a few on and around the tops is fine for me. Otherwise I like to leave the plant as is and let nature take its course. Leaves help with plant transpiration and transporting immobile micro nutrients throughout the plant.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I believe in removing only the leaves blocking large bud sites that block light penetration. So just a few on and around the tops is fine for me. Otherwise I like to leave the plant as is and let nature take its course. Leaves help with plant transpiration and transporting immobile micro nutrients throughout the plant.

Have you compared not removing them? I get higher yields when i keep the upper leaves on and healthy. I do sometimes remove interior big fan leaves to help wirh air flow and moisture pockets and that has helped tighten and expand lower and inside buds. If they are too bushy and packed together i get larfy mid buds. But removing upper leaves has not helped with that.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
That’s basically what I meant. And yeah I have compared it both ways. The buds that were being blocked from the extra light don’t mature as quickly or get as full when the light is blocked. It amounts to just a few leaves per plant. Not a big deal imo.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That’s basically what I meant. And yeah I have compared it both ways. The buds that were being blocked from the extra light don’t mature as quickly or get as full when the light is blocked. It amounts to just a few leaves per plant. Not a big deal imo.

Cool. I always find it interesting that we do different things with differing results in our different rooms (and racks ;-)) and our different styles and lighting and such.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I don’t think we are that different ;-)

I use quantum leds you use HID. I pluck a couple leaves that get in the way (not always) and you do not. I won the POTM contest in Jan, oh wait maybe we are different. Haha. Kidding bro.

T

Trevjcju

after de leafing .... be sure to reduce on the feed as u will kill the plant ... and remove all water leaf in 1 go ..doing so over the weeks will keep putting the plant back in time ... with the plant having a limited time in flower be sure to do all work on plant in veg the only thing u will want to do in flower in pinch tops this is not needed in som cases .. but lowering the feed is a must after removal of leaf... it is always gud to no the plant u are working with as in u no how she grows with no messing ect ... some plants will need to be defoliation only on bushe plant u will find the gangly open type plant will not need this method..... I hope this helps 👍

Migrower

Migrower

after de leafing .... be sure to reduce on the feed as u will kill the plant ... and remove all water leaf in 1 go ..doing so over the weeks will keep putting the plant back in time ... with the plant having a limited time in flower be sure to do all work on plant in veg the only thing u will want to do in flower in pinch tops this is not needed in som cases .. but lowering the feed is a must after removal of leaf... it is always gud to no the plant u are working with as in u no how she grows with no messing ect ... some plants will need to be defoliation only on bushe plant u will find the gangly open type plant will not need this method..... I hope this helps 👍
This is not so in my experience. Infact a common rule of thump before pruning in the horticulture Field is to water before and after defoliation. Reason being is you are taking all of the plants water and food reserves stored in the plants leaves. Now one reason why defoliation indoors in a controlled environment can be done without much stress and be beneficial is because it is controlled. We are feeding our plants what they need when they need it. They have no need to have food reserves in the leaves. But water is a different story. Once removed of all leaves it will have lost its water reserves and will likely be thirsty. This will be a beneficial practice for large defoliation and Swazi ing your plants.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
For me doing no defol in a room will usually net me about a 1/2 lb less. I don't go crazy anymore like I used to just top 30% of the plant minus the crowns. Basically everything above the top screen or 2 screens if there is more then 2. No defol will almost always net me less then 2 lbs a light. I've done it both ways a bunch and its a pretty consistent loss on some of my strains that are leafy. Might just be my style or the way I have plants packed on the table. I also only defol once now in flower and its usually about week 4 or 5. I don't defol veg plants until I'm throwing them into flower and that's usually when I do the bottoms and most of the lower fans that will be below the screens. I messed around with it a bunch and I have never been able to hit the 2lb a light mark without pulling leaves in any of my rooms although I've gotten close.

I think a lot of this question is very strain specific.

Top Bottom