Desperately needing help. Dead and dying

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lacey

Lacey

I stopped feeding them a few weeks ago because I couldn't figure out what was going on. I gave them recharge this past Friday. Today I have 8 dead plants and the rest are continuing to die a slow and painful death.
Would the entire plant die if it was a lighting issue?
I watered the pots heavily yesterday to see what will happen.
I added more fans to the grow to add more circulation.
I have brought up the humidity to closer to 60%.
I fear if I attempt to transplant them in their current condition, they will for sure die.
I will get some clones started today and see if I can actually not kill them.

Please keep your suggestions coming.
Thank You everyone for all of the help.

Lacey

Lacey

I think they like the smoke filtered sunlight. Give them a break from the relentless fireball overhead. But it probably doesn’t help your greenhouse stuff. Hopefully you have some semblance of control over what’s going on in there.Keep on bobbing and weaving and counterpunching! And do not for sake the two most powerful allies that we have around here. Abundant sunshine and low humidity.
The greenhouse plants are hanging in there. I am so surprised at that as they were extremely abused by my ignorance. With my major mess up we lost only a couple. The others are damaged, but they actually are flowering nicely. I still dont know what the heck I am doing. But I am doing it anyway.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Outdoors I can't disagree, but if you haven't tried using rainwater for indoor potted plants, do it sometime and get back to me. It needs to be treated like distilled water and have alkalinity added back to it to work properly.
Because rainwater kills all the plants outside, right?

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
OK. Here's a tip that will help you tremendously. So take it.
Stop taking marketing names as gospel. Names like Recharge, Bud Candy and shit are meant to sell, not help you. While some may have a good rep, that's only because the growers know something else. What do they know about? Start reading about NPK, Mobile and Immobile nutrients, and how to feed your soil (not the plants). You can easily do this while they're seedlings. It's really not that hard. Especially with google and youtube at your fingertips. I guarantee you'll learn something every day (take notes and save bookmarks!)

On your plants:
There is no magic bullet. You can't fix a damaged or dead leaf. (Using Recharge isn't recharging a plant, it's recharging the biology in your soil.) Once a leaf is damaged, it's toast. But you *can fix new growth. In your case, the new growth is stopping. Most times there's something to gain in it's death. In your case, like several people said already, take a clone. That's because it's your only hope Ben Kenobi. Take the clones while the leaves on the tips of the branches are still alive.

A Plant's Only Reason To Live, is To Reproduce
Among other things, when a plant's roots start dying, is thirsty, or starving of nutrients, it starts cannibalizing itself in an effort to first feed the top new growth, then flowers, then fruit.

With corn, a lack of moisture or/and nutrient deficiencies causes the corn plant to cannibalize itself, starting at the bottom first, to ensure the ear has everything it needs. But this leads to root rot, that leads to premature death.

This is exactly what has happened to your weed plants.

WHEN YOU START OVER
Water consistently, but not every day. Over watering will drown and kill your roots. Lift your pot before you water and notice the weight, then after you've watered it. You'll know right away if you need to water it again. Trust me on this.

2. If you using supersoil, you don't need to feed. Just water start to finish.

3. If you feed, only feed once a week according to the label. This is what happens when you don't measure your fertilizer.

4. Start your seedlings in small pots. As they grow, transplant them into progressively bigger pots.
These are in 4 inch pots. They're goin into 5 gallon pots today.

(These seedlings are in a tray because I water from the bottom. I add a half inch of water to the tray and let the soil wick up the water.)

Roots coming out the bottom of the pots tells me it's safe to transplant.

Once the roots populate the 5 gallon pots, they'll go into their final 20 gallon pots.
If I want to control the size of the plants, I keep them in 5 gallon pots, but they'll need to be watered and fed a little more (not a lot more) as the roots completely fill the pot. I'll keep an eye on the bottom leaves for sings of yellowing. If they start yellowing, I'll up the feed a bit. I'll flip them to flower early because they'll almost double in size.

BTW, these are Platinum Cookies and they'll move to 3 gallon pots and will be flowered a week later. I'm doing a female seed run with them so they don't have to be big to produce hundreds of seeds (sometimes thousands).

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
There's no minerals in rain water (I think). You may as well water with high PH RO water. Remember acid rain in the 80s? Soil takes care of the PH and mineral issues.

I'm rural and my well water comes out at 7.0ph and has awesome flavor. I have an RO tap on my sink (it came with the house.) and everything I water with it dies a slow death. There's no minerals in it at all. When I water with tap water, everything thrives.

Lacey

Lacey

Your plants are like kids in Ethiopia. No food. No water.

Keep in mind that 99% of the water absorbed by roots is lost via transpiration of the leaves. With plants in those pots, you should be having trouble keeping humidity down. 43% is nothing. The "bark" is coming off because you're plants (roots) can take up water, but the soil is moist and rotting them. The rotting outer layer of the stalks is vitally important to uptake water and nutrients. You're plants are dying a slow painful death and nothing will save them.

But you can *maybe save a few clones and start over in small pot, then transplant once they get big enough. If you do take clones, don't snip the tips of the leaves like everyone does.

To clone,
- Just use Solo cups with seed starter. Put the cup on a saucer.
- Cut the drain holes in the bottom and add one cup of water.
- Cut your clone, scrape the outside off the bottom of the stem for 1 inch.
- Dip in water, then dip in rooting hormone
- *don't dig a hole in your seed starter. Just stick the stem in the soil 3 inches deep.
- 1/2 cup of water 3 days later.
- You'll have roots 7-10 days later and ready to be planted in a 1 gallon pot.

I water/feed every 3 days. This schedule permits you to be absent for up to 2 days.
I water/feed to this schedule. W D D F D D <start over> where:
W= water.
D = dry.
F = feed.

- Fertilizer -
Seedlings get - Small N, High P, Low K
Veg phase get - High N, Med P, Med K
Flower phase get - Low N, Med P, High K

You can do away with all of that by making a super soil that won't require feeding. Just water start to finish.

Easy Supersoil
https://borealcuring.com/growing_tools/super_soil.php

I have questions for you.... I notice you didn't mention anything about covering them for humidity. Do I cover them with a baggie or do I leaven them open?
What about light? Will a shaded area work for natural light, or should I put them under a light?
Does temp matter when cloning into soil?

I almost do what you described. But I have a baggie over them for humidity. If I don't vent them daily, they mold and I toss them out. I have had some take root, but as soon as I introduce a little natural light, they die. I am not sure why, because we haven't had any real sunlight in over a month with the state currently burning down.

Anymore tips?

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
I have questions for you.... I notice you didn't mention anything about covering them for humidity. Do I cover them with a baggie or do I leaven them open?
What about light? Will a shaded area work for natural light, or should I put them under a light?
Does temp matter when cloning into soil?

I almost do what you described. But I have a baggie over them for humidity. If I don't vent them daily, they mold and I toss them out. I have had some take root, but as soon as I introduce a little natural light, they die. I am not sure why, because we haven't had any real sunlight in over a month with the state currently burning down.

Anymore tips?
Use a tray and a dome.

A few notes on this video.
- The clone pots are 2 inch pots.
- The Dome (the lid) should also be sprayed inside when you put them on the tray to increase humidity at the start.

Lacey

Lacey

Use a tray and a dome.

A few notes on this video.
- The clone pots are 2 inch pots.
- The Dome (the lid) should also be sprayed inside when you put them on the tray to increase humidity at the start.
I know where I am messing up now. I am not venting enough with my clones.
Thank You so very much!

Lacey

Lacey

I got 10 clones going now off the plants. I have room for 10 more, I will get them done this evening.

It was not a underwatering issue. Because I watered them as recommended by some and they are now droopy. That might have been the last straw for some. Live and Learn.

Lets just hope these clones will actually root and the strain will be saved.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

@Lacey
Your fertilizer is mostly organics which means you need soil biota to convert the organic nitrogen to plant available nitrates. Biochar is a good place to start but there are other options like Fish Sh!t.

Your fertilizer also has way too much P which is detrimental to beneficial soil fungi, allowing bad fungi to thrive.
Based on your photos I'm 99% sure they have Rhizoctonia, a very bad fungus. Destroy the soil and sterilize the containers before using them again.

You may actually be overwatering a bit as well, which also can lead to root rot issues.

Do you allow temps to drop when lights are off or does it really stay 77-80F all the time?

Rainwater is fine for hot soil in veg. Most rainwater is pH 5.5-6.0. But make sure you know what pH your water is after mixing your nutrients.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Indoor vegetation state. The lights are on 16 hrs a day. I don’t remember what lights they are. But they are about 2 feet above the plants.
Soil in 10 gallon grow pots
1 gallon twice a week (depending on the plant and how dry the soil is)
Fed Maxsea 16-16-16. Once a week Used Recharge once last week.
temp is 77F - 80F with 43% humidity.
Watered with rain water.
Fans running and ventilated.
Plants are dying daily.
First they got droopy starting at the bottom then move up the plant. Then the leaves get dried and then the entire View attachment 1163897View attachment 1163898View attachment 1163899View attachment 1163900View attachment 1163901View attachment 1163902View attachment 1163903View attachment 1163904View attachment 1163905View attachment 1163906plant dies.
I have removed some of the dead leaves and branches.
At the base of the plant the trunk is easily scraped away.
Any and all help is welcome. First attempt of indoor.
That's dirt, not soil. It did not have enough food in it to sustain the plants.
They starved to death. If you still have them planted, then get a multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplement, grind 3 of them up in water and water each plant until it's fully wet.

You need to amend the dirt into soil.
Recharge

Fish Sh!T

Watering SOIL

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It takes a week minimum for Recharge to kick in, usually 2 weeks. You should have done the amending before the clones hit the pots.
Soil needs time for the MBE's to come fully awake and into production.

Lacey

Lacey

That's dirt, not soil. It did not have enough food in it to sustain the plants.
They starved to death. If you still have them planted, then get a multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplement, grind 3 of them up in water and water each plant until it's fully wet.

You need to amend the dirt into soil.
Recharge

Fish Sh!T

Watering SOIL
I have read watering soil thread already. I go by the plant, and feel. I can not lift any of the pots because, I would most likely end up laid in bed for weeks.

This is the full story about the soil.

We bought the soil in bulk, the company (like most in my area) was out the prime soil that had perlite in it. So.... We decided to add perlite to it. Well..... Apparently there is a shortage of the usual size and I was only able to find the BIG chunks of perlite. Yes, I called every single nursery, grow, walmart, etc to find the correct size. There just wasnt any to be found. I did what I had to do. I ended up buying the BIG chunks. I broke it up as much as I can and dumped it in the soil. We used our bobcat to mix it all together and with doing so, we got a little bit of our lovely clay dirt mixed in.
The soil we bought was called Garden Power. There was a little bit of mushroom compost added to the soil as well.

I tried the recharge because I wanted to try to save the plants. But it is looking like, it will be a total loss unless I can get the clones to take root.
I am not going to hold my breath as someone said it can be Rhizoctonia. If it is... Then the strain will be lost, unless someone has the Original Platinum Gorilla Glue #4 hanging around from the original breeder.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have read watering soil thread already. I go by the plant, and feel. I can not lift any of the pots because, I would most likely end up laid in bed for weeks.

This is the full story about the soil.

We bought the soil in bulk, the company (like most in my area) was out the prime soil that had perlite in it. So.... We decided to add perlite to it. Well..... Apparently there is a shortage of the usual size and I was only able to find the BIG chunks of perlite. Yes, I called every single nursery, grow, walmart, etc to find the correct size. There just wasnt any to be found. I did what I had to do. I ended up buying the BIG chunks. I broke it up as much as I can and dumped it in the soil. We used our bobcat to mix it all together and with doing so, we got a little bit of our lovely clay dirt mixed in.
The soil we bought was called Garden Power. There was a little bit of mushroom compost added to the soil as well.

I tried the recharge because I wanted to try to save the plants. But it is looking like, it will be a total loss unless I can get the clones to take root.
I am not going to hold my breath as someone said it can be Rhizoctonia. If it is... Then the strain will be lost, unless someone has the Original Platinum Gorilla Glue #4 hanging around from the original breeder.
If they are still alive, you may be able to save them.
I understand about the soil. No problem. Lets try and save what we can.
You have recharge, hit it again.
Get the fish poop and add that.

You read the watering already? The new one with the guesswork removed?

In the meantime, run by the grocery store and ask for a couple of fish heads. Most shops toss them.
Liquify them and add to the Recharge water and feed. You need to substitute until the rest starts kicking in.
The roots could use a boost as well.
Your mushroom juice will help but it's limited to its own species.
The sand is good, it will offset the clay.

Lacey

Lacey

If they are still alive, you may be able to save them.
I understand about the soil. No problem. Lets try and save what we can.
You have recharge, hit it again.
Get the fish poop and add that.

You read the watering already? The new one with the guesswork removed?

In the meantime, run by the grocery store and ask for a couple of fish heads. Most shops toss them.
Liquify them and add to the Recharge water and feed. You need to substitute until the rest starts kicking in.
The roots could use a boost as well.
Your mushroom juice will help but it's limited to its own species.
The sand is good, it will offset the clay.
I did the recharge 6 days ago. Is it safe to do it again?
I have Kelp, Terp Tea, Worm castings, Fish meal, and Ocean gold on hand.
I also have Maxsea 16-16-16.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

There is perlite in the soil. Maybe not enough? The perlite is big and chunky. There is a lovely shortage of perlite in our area.
There seems to be a shortage of basically everything around here.
When I pulled up the dead plants, the roots were medium depth and spread out a bit. I would have liked to see the roots deeper. But they are clones and I am not used to not having a tap root.
That’s likely from underwatering

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I have Kelp, Terp Tea, Worm castings, Fish meal, and Ocean gold on hand.
Mix all this into one and give it. Not to much at a time, give the plant time to realize it's getting fed.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm all for the simplest answers but that's just not the case.

Because mother nature has a very diverse biological system. Indoors we do not so the natural process that keeps pathogens from overrunning everything is not present.

It's not a guarantee that rain water will cause issues but I'd say it's likely enough that you want to treat it before using it in indoor grows. Especially when your microbe population and diversity is low.

Top Bottom