Dragons Flame Mac Dragon bx1 in Updated RDWC System

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

What about keeping the light full bore to the end.I’m quietly positive it brings out more trics to protect itself.I think bugbee mentioned to keep the light flatout till the end in one of his vids..

Can you try to find that vid? I've been sea-sawing back and forth with light intensity in the last few weeks my last couple of grows and I would prefer a solid/science based answer.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

What about keeping the light full bore to the end.I’m quietly positive it brings out more trics to protect itself.I think bugbee mentioned to keep the light flatout till the end in one of his vids..
Thats exactly what I do. I don't back down on nutes, light, CO2, nothing. I just control my temps (day and night) with the mini split and the chiller. And of course push the spectrum red.

I might be alone here, but I want that plant just happily growing, making sugar, making terps, making cannabinoids like it has all flower, and I sneak up on them and slit their throat before they even see me coming. This traps all that stinky dank goodness in the buds. So I only signal to ripen based on temps and spectrum, then assassinate them when they are not paying attention to what I am doing. I do provide them with a warrior's death tho. And then after trimming, everything but the buds gets a Viking sendoff.

UpHellyAa7(AnneBurgess)30Jan1973.jpg

steamroller

steamroller

steamroller

steamroller

I know it is a joke but plants are responsive so what you do really matters.
Short them food near the end, they die faster? We don't starve old people yet [ thankfully]. 😲
Now the fact I talk to and touch mine and the pleasure we both get from it does not need to be explained here!🤣

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

36:57
This seems solid IMO.
I like Moes approach also.
Signaling the death of any beloved may not yield the best results. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately that discussion you linked to was just about the "48 hours of darkness" myth, it doesn't really touch on the "lowering light intensity in the last X weeks of flower" aspect of the equation but I guess it would make sense to keep the plant turning sugars into trichomes. Just curious or have to wonder if the lower DLI near the end of flower out in the real world has any impact on the stressors it places or signals it might send to the plant to increase THC production near the end of its lifecycle?

Idk. I'm not a scientamatist.

Exactly @steamroller ! the intangibles :p

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I'm going to post this link because a) it's fucking cool and b) it really shows how we can look at data from outdoor growers and compare/extract that for indoor uses

The Southern states near Mexico get 60+ DLI in the peak of summer(June) and near the start of winter(October) the DLI drops all the way to 30-35. Perhaps there is some mystical magic going on with the signaling of plants near end of life. I don't know.

Most indoor growers don't even get to their max intensity/DLI until they start flower, and so if anything the DLI increases or at least stays the same over the course of florasion vs peaking and then steadily declining outdoors.

I

IamN2pot

Here, I think this is the one refered to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvBTsl_gScw&ab_channel=MIGRO

...and not to hijack SLG thread, but I would really like to know @Moe.Red and @Aqua Man thoughts on Bugbee's comments about full light intensity (1000 micromoles) throughout the grow. The comments are around the 47 min mark in the video, just before CO2 discussion and seems to contridict advice given here for light intensity and PAR.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here, I think this is the one refered to, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvBTsl_gScw&ab_channel=MIGRO

...and not to hijack SLG thread, but I would really like to know @Moe.Red and @Aqua Man thoughts on Bugbee's comments about full light intensity (1000 micromoles) throughout the grow. The comments are around the 47 min mark in the video, just before CO2 discussion and seems to contridict advice given here for light intensity and PAR.
I'll re-watch it tonight. 👍

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Idk. I'm not a scientamatist.

Me neither, I just play one on a weed forum.

I'm an engineer thru and thru, balls to bones. I can't help but look at everything thru that lens.

My methods around lighting, harvests, etc are based on years of personal experience with making changes, and testing product. I can't tell you how many TLC tests I have done, but it is easily triple digits in plates with 4 tests per plate. I try something, and actually test the cannabinoid results in my basement. Sciency yes, strictly scientific, no. I still work with too many variables for this to be considered any sort of gospel. But I think I have a good understanding of the trends.

So when I say that I run them full bore right to the end, or in a quote above I say exotics come out the longer you flower, or CBN might be measurable if you do this - it's based on personal experience and measurements.

I can go into this in detail (I used to have tons of videos up here that showed my TLC process, results, etc and they have all been scrubbed due to forum updates) but the short answer is, I have found that running them hard right to the end gives the best, most complex result if max cannabinoids per unit of weight are what you are after.

My videos are too long to re-upload to the farm, and links to external video sources are no longer allowed, but I'm sure I can come up with some pics that would suffice to explain.

Here is an example where I tested some product from 3Chai that I recommended to SLG earlier

I'm very open to input or criticism about my processes. I got thick skin and will stay here debating forever as long as the debate is an intelligent one. I think we have a great crew on this thread, just don't tell the trolls what we are talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Good video but doesn't directly answer the question! Does lower light intensity/DLI in the last few weeks of florasion BENEFIT or HARM THC production? Can't seem to find a solid answer or research comparison so until then my lights are back to 100% 🧙‍♂️

And that's why we trust you @Moe.Red you don't need to be a "scientist" to be "scientific" and you are very much the latter

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Good video but doesn't directly answer the question! Does lower light intensity/DLI in the last few weeks of florasion BENEFIT or HARM THC production? Can't seem to find a solid answer or research comparison so until then my lights are back to 100% 🧙‍♂️

And that's why we trust you @Moe.Red you don't need to be a "scientist" to be "scientific" and you are very much the latter
Until recently I did not have a way to change spectrum without loss of PPFD. So I can only say what my gut says.

Now that I have that control, it will be something I test.

Madmax

Madmax

I know it is a joke but plants are responsive so what you do really matters.
Short them food near the end, they die faster? We don't starve old people yet [ thankfully]. 😲
Now the fact I talk to and touch mine and the pleasure we both get from it does not need to be explained here!🤣
What makes you think they are starving by lowering the pms the last 7 days.you don’t think they have nutrients stored to get them to the finish.they will tell you if they haven’t.. .look how plants grow outside bud.I don’t even feed them the last fortnight or even give then a drink.they will fade naturally using up there nutrients dropping leaves .I dont think none of my grows have dropped one leaf towards the end..that tells me they have plenty of nutrients in reserve..

Madmax

Madmax

Can you try to find that vid? I've been sea-sawing back and forth with light intensity in the last few weeks my last couple of grows and I would prefer a solid/science based answer.
I can’t seem to find it .or maybe I just think I seen it 😂.I did see one mentioned they do lower it..lowering it signals plants to finish like outdoors I’m thinking..I agree with you moe keep running them hard and they will make more cannabiniods 👍💪

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

as much ppfd as the plant can handle and stay happy…thats changes a lot based on plant health, size, environment and genetics. So its specific to each grow and no magic numbers.

personally i feel spectrum has a lot more to do with this since that is what affects the morphology of the plants most.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Thats exactly what I do. I don't back down on nutes, light, CO2, nothing. I just control my temps (day and night) with the mini split and the chiller. And of course push the spectrum red.

I might be alone here, but I want that plant just happily growing, making sugar, making terps, making cannabinoids like it has all flower, and I sneak up on them and slit their throat before they even see me coming. This traps all that stinky dank goodness in the buds. So I only signal to ripen based on temps and spectrum, then assassinate them when they are not paying attention to what I am doing. I do provide them with a warrior's death tho. And then after trimming, everything but the buds gets a Viking sendoff.

UpHellyAa7(AnneBurgess)30Jan1973.jpg
I mean.......do you guys do other things too...?

I'm just kidding, it's all very good. ;) And Sweetleaf I hope you feel better. I like to go Rambo when I get sick, Vit C, D, green and detox tea, kombucha, etc, etc......then, sleep.....

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
What makes you think they are starving by lowering the pms the last 7 days.you don’t think they have nutrients stored to get them to the finish.they will tell you if they haven’t.. .look how plants grow outside bud.I don’t even feed them the last fortnight or even give then a drink.they will fade naturally using up there nutrients dropping leaves .I dont think none of my grows have dropped one leaf towards the end..that tells me they have plenty of nutrients in reserve..
What I think we're all getting in to is something between floriculture, and making ripe fruit........sort of like what wine makers do. Or people who grow difficult, fancy flowers. Then there's chemistry/science, and art. Go all science and forget the art and something is lacking there too. Bring it all together (without going insane) and that's about as good as it gets. There's a limit to just about everything.......once we can grow/produce huge, soaked with resin buds, with 25%+ THC......the genetics being partially out of our hands, until we own whatever strains/varieties we want, and if we want to, breed our own. So then we try to push out the limits.......when it was about crossing varieties 40-50 years ago to get THC levels from 17% to 28%, cut flowering times by 5 weeks, and do the "grows like an Indica, high like a Sativa" thing, the improvements have been leaps and bounds. At this point, where are we going........for what added levels of effort? If it's about going to 40% THC? Well, can we? If so, do we really want/need to? We can make a 13% stout, 15%......or triple IPA. But do we want to? Then I can't drink more than a couple of glasses, or it starts tasting like you just added booze to a 10% IPA. My tolerance is nothing like it used to be, beer or weed. One good hit of strong weed and I'm just fine. 2 and I'm done......

By the way I'm sure anyone who wastes their time reading what I type sees that I use ........ a lot. I write the way I talk, and I can type 80wpm, even on my phone at this point. I kind of write as I think it or as I would say it, which is probably partially the New York City part of me too.......I'm the guy that'll talk to my cab driver, or if you sat down next to me at a bar.....

So to the extent that this is all fun, yeah. To make what we want, and enjoy the process.....maybe the added efforts to go 1 more % of THC, from 31% to 32% starts getting a little ridiculous, feeding our plants aged green tea and playing the flute for them during a full moon.......smells and flavors seem like the areas where we can make more significant progress than where we're already at for THC content. Making extracts, fine hash.......working landraces/heirlooms. It's definitely all interesting, I don’t know if I'm gonna start making colored charts and graphs or raising my own bats for guano......it's back to like making great wine or award winning orchids......some people are really, really into it, and to the extent that it's fun, and we enjoy life and do other things, yeah, it's awesome. We wouldn’t be really into growing great weed if we weren't really into growing great weed. :)

Top Bottom