Dragons Flame Mac Dragon bx1 in Updated RDWC System

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ninjadip

ninjadip

Ok, I tossed the chart (not really, lol) and going to learn to read these plants, my biggest weakness I believe. My comfort zone is a step by step, easy to follow, guide and I do well with these types of "recipes" to follow. Below are a couple of photos from this morning. PH has been a constant 5.8 without any adjustments for the past 3 days or better. PPM sitting around 530, res temps @ 78F. Temps in the tent have been ~72F, RH 40%.

View attachment 1290680View attachment 1290681

View attachment 1290682

My read on this plant today says she is happy and doing well, with no adjustments needed at this time. I see no more burn on that first set of true leaves and honestly, I think I did that when they were still in the nursery with the light. I think that was a bit of light burn from that. I have 4 other seedlings going at the same time and they all suffered a bit of the same thing at the same time.

That 2nd set of leaves looks very good to my eye, no progression of the purple color on the petioles. I see no nute burn and she seems to be praying slightly. Loving the fat Indica structure of the leaves so far. I think the roots look great, very much pearly white that doesn't really show in that photo, but you can see just a tiny bit of brown near where the roots are coming out of the net pot. I have not top fed and am a bit paranoid to do that after watching the trouble another member had with his grow and perhaps too much top feeding? Not sure how important that is do do or how often but I have not done it yet. I did add 2 ml per gallon of additional Hydroguard the other day at your suggestion Moe and I imagine the bacteria colony is starting to get established at this time

I have not turned the light up yet either but that next node still has a ways to go so leaving it at about 25% for the time being.

Right or wrong, that is my untrained read on this plant as of today. 👨‍🎓
Hey what are those dwc light collars called? I don't think I'm searching for the right terms to find them, so that I may purchase some

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Hey what are those dwc light collars called? I don't think I'm searching for the right terms to find them, so that I may purchase some
I guess I'm not sure what you are talking about bro, can you be more specific?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Ahh, ok, yea. I bought those 3.75" net pots and they came with them. Not sure what they call them but they are reflective on the other side but I did not figure that needed to be up, and the natural curve of that sheet, when the black side is up, tends downward so I thought that the best way to use them.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Ahh, ok, yea. I bought those 3.75" net pots and they came with them. Not sure what they call them but they are reflective on the other side but I did not figure that needed to be up, and the natural curve of that sheet, when the black side is up, tends downward so I thought that the best way to use them.
Oh ok, I have huge 8" net pots and have light leak issues until the plant is big enough to block it. That's why I was asking, but maybe I could cut something idk

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Yea, I had those big pots too but went to the smaller ones which allowed me to double the amount of water in the system. I am sure you could make something similar, even if you cut up a section from a large garden trash bag, those are real thick plastic and that is what I used in a pinch for my first grow in DWC.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

One thing I did notice on that bleeder I installed on the last grow, there was a bit of gunk in there when I looked earlier. I sucked a bit of water into the tube and it all washed away, didn't get a pic but there is still a slight bit of the gunk still on the tubing. SMH, not sure what to think of that.

View attachment 1291147

Have you ever seen a protein skimmer used in marine aquariums? Also called a foam fractionator, they remove molecules especially organics from water using bubbles. That brown stuff is likely just that because right there at the top of the hump is where the bubbles collect and burst if they can get to atmospheric pressure, which they can now.

Usually when we first start up our systems, diatoms grow on all the surfaces. There is also a biofilm that forms everywhere in time. I think that is what you are seeing and like mushrooms growing in soil are an indication things are growth / life friendly conditions exist here.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Short report before I go to work, things are cruising along pretty good. Nothing to note except there has been a very slight downward trend in the ph. Never let it get below 5.7 and yesterday an two separate occasions I added 2ml Tree Trunk silica to bring everything back to 5.8. Other than that, loving this strain so far and the stalk is already beefing up nicely, close nodal spacing, super excited.

IMG 1264
IMG 1265
IMG 1266
IMG 1267

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Have you ever seen a protein skimmer used in marine aquariums? Also called a foam fractionator, they remove molecules especially organics from water using bubbles. That brown stuff is likely just that because right there at the top of the hump is where the bubbles collect and burst if they can get to atmospheric pressure, which they can now.

Usually when we first start up our systems, diatoms grow on all the surfaces. There is also a biofilm that forms everywhere in time. I think that is what you are seeing and like mushrooms growing in soil are an indication things are growth / life friendly conditions exist here.
Biofilms suck. Im remembering the salt buildup on my pebbles when I submerge the netpots. Im thinking it acts as a media bed/filter. Im hoping it will also remove the biofilm. Another thing is with a high powered current and mesh filter, there is no biofilm. Just 2 more ways people can help manage it.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I'm still experiencing a worrying and daily drop in ph. Shouldn't the ph be slowly rising? Yesterday, I added 2 ml Tree Trunk silica on two separate occasions when the ph had dropped to 5.7. This morning she is back at 5.7 and something to me doesn't quite look right. She seems a but droopy but that could be because those fan leaves are so f'n huge. I'm also seeing these new leaves with a bit of curl on the edges of some of the leaflets, which to me seems like normal leaf development because they seem to flatten out over time and the rest of them look fine. Those new leaves almost look like over watering but I know that is not the case.

Trying to read the plant and to me something seems off but perhaps not. Other than these concerns I think everything looks fantastic. Those GDP seedlings are roughly the same age as the DF and wow, look at the difference!

IMG 1285

IMG 1286
IMG 1287
IMG 1288
IMG 1289
IMG 1290

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm still experiencing a worrying and daily drop in ph. Shouldn't the ph be slowly rising? Yesterday, I added 2 ml Tree Trunk silica on two separate occasions when the ph had dropped to 5.7. This morning she is back at 5.7 and something to me doesn't quite look right. She seems a but droopy but that could be because those fan leaves are so f'n huge. I'm also seeing these new leaves with a bit of curl on the edges of some of the leaflets, which to me seems like normal leaf development because they seem to flatten out over time and the rest of them look fine. Those new leaves almost look like over watering but I know that is not the case.

Trying to read the plant and to me something seems off but perhaps not. Other than these concerns I think everything looks fantastic. Those GDP seedlings are roughly the same age as the DF and wow, look at the difference!

View attachment 1294150
View attachment 1294151View attachment 1294152View attachment 1294153View attachment 1294155View attachment 1294156
How much wind is on them? I know it may seem early but id remove the 2 biggest fans that are resting on the buckets to open up airflow. whats your humidity? Look like some swelling so if humidity is good it would be the airflow. Basically could be the high humidity air from the tes being trapped and the humidity under the leaves becoming high. If you have a hygrometer stick it in the plant to see what i mean

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I've got a gentle fan oscillating above the light and the intake fan is on low, humidity is a bit low right now at 35%. It's getting colder here so the furnace is drying things out a bit in the house. I can put a humidifier in there if necessary. I placed a hydrometer under the plant and still about 35%. Temps seem a bit low there but reading 71 on the sensor hanging above the plant. I had planned on putting the light ballast into the tent today to help boost those temps a bit.

If that is not enough air flow, I can bring that oscillator down lower to get more wind on the plant.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've got a gentle fan oscillating above the light and the intake fan is on low, humidity is a bit low right now at 35%. It's getting colder here so the furnace is drying things out a bit in the house. I can put a humidifier in there if necessary. I placed a hydrometer under the plant and still about 35%. Temps seem a bit low there but reading 71 on the sensor hanging above the plant. I had planned on putting the light ballast into the tent today to help boost those temps a bit.

If that is not enough air flow, I can bring that oscillator down lower to get more wind on the plant.
Ok yeah 35% is to low i was thinking it maybe high but too low can cause stomata to close and would also show swelling. So thats likely your issue. Not something to go crazy over because as the plants grow they will increase the humidity. Ideally you want to raise it up to reach a good VPD probably around 60-65% but if you cant or its to much of a pita then just push through until the plants are bigger

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Ok yeah 35% is to low i was thinking it maybe high but too low can cause stomata to close and would also show swelling. So thats likely your issue. Not something to go crazy over because as the plants grow they will increase the humidity. Ideally you want to raise it up to reach a good VPD probably around 60-65% but if you cant or its to much of a pita then just push through until the plants are bigger
Sounds good bro, I think I will dial that intake fan back a bit as the reason I started running it in the first place was the RH was getting too high. That should boost the RH, I would think, quite a bit.

Top Bottom