dry sifting to hashish pressing

• Thread starter GNick55
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Going to do it on the back porch that is covered. Temps 35 to 45°. The only thing bothering me is what affect the humidity might have on it. Been pretty high around here lately. Was wondering if there is a certain threshold that you don’t Want to be sifting in? Nicks Videos and tutorials are awesome!

Moshmen

Moshmen

Going to do it on the back porch that is covered. Temps 35 to 45°. The only thing bothering me is what affect the humidity might have on it. Been pretty high around here lately. Was wondering if there is a certain threshold that you don’t Want to be sifting in? Nicks Videos and tutorials are awesome!
Great question can’t believe I haven’t asked it ! Lol idk if it’s good or bad but mine is around 50 when I sift

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Southern Ontario, Windsor area avg humidity probably 70 to 80%
now
24B98DD2 01AC 4F5E B60F 58E6AF578336

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok well thanks,
the funny thing is i watched a couple of those first videos and i’m like mmmm don’t know about that haha.. things keep changing, tweaking methods etc..
anyways don’t let watching people on youtube etc make you feel it’s hard or complicated or need perfect/special conditions..
seriously every one of you can easily be making beautiful hash in no time..
i understand all your concerns..
i guess the easiest way, is have all your bud in the freezer, leave it there for a while get those heads hard, when ready, break up buds over screens, no sifting, nothing.. use all the screen area, done breaking bud, just leave on screen, pick up the top 3 screens set aside GENTLY, collect everything on 4th (75 micron)screen and on table.. that you can press with hot bottle..
put back the screens and now bounce and sift etc,
get to it!!!!!!….
use your jewellers loupe etc through the whole process weather you understand what your looking at or not.,
it’ll all come to ya eventually..

Last edited:
Dothraki

Dothraki

ok well thanks,
the funny thing is i watched a couple of those first videos and i’m like mmmm don’t know about that haha.. things keep changing, tweaking methods etc..
anyways don’t let watching people on youtube etc make you feel it’s hard or complicated or need perfect/special conditions..
i guess the easiest way, is have all your bud in the freezer, leave it there for a while get those heads hard, when ready, break up buds over screens, no sifting, nothing.. use all the screen area, done breaking bud, just leave on screen, pick up the top 3 screens set aside GENTLY, collect everything on 3rd (75 micron)screen and on table.. that you can press with hot bottle..
get to it!!!!!!….
use your jewellers loupe etc through the whole process weather you understand what your looking at or not.,
Hey, thats an idea…checking the difference with loupe while sifting..or in my case a macro lens on my phone. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that one lol.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok well thanks,
i guess the easiest way, is have all your bud in the freezer, leave it there for a while get those heads hard, when ready, break up buds over screens, no sifting, nothing.. use all the screen area, done breaking bud, just leave on screen, pick up the top 3 screens set aside GENTLY, collect everything on 4th (75 micron)screen and on table.. that you can press with hot bottle..
get to it!!!!!!….
i edited 3rd to 4th screen..

mancorn

mancorn

Great thread GNick!

I was hoping to do something with last years extra harvest, but didn’t have any screens, table, press, cool orange cup grinder, hot water rolling pin, or a boom box. 😪

But I did have 2 lbs of fresh halibut and a reusable vegetable bag! So after laboriously grinding up some old GG and singing to KC & The Sunshine Band, got to work.

5C907ADE DB12 4CE7 BCFC F1C82FF5E73C

After putting the halibut in the freezer, I added the accompanying dry ice to the weed in the fruit bag and shook out the trichomes. My grinder is such a POS it was too monotonous doing more than a few grams at a time. But it looked surprisingly clean (and clung together nicely).

5E5FF94A D190 479B A92E 6FF25F600433

Lacking a press (or heated rolling pin) I just sprinkled the “sparkle” on top of a thin layer of flower in the bong.

I got so high I had to go lay down.

Thanks for posting all the videos GNick!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Great thread GNick!

I was hoping to do something with last years extra harvest, but didn’t have any screens, table, press, cool orange cup grinder, hot water rolling pin, or a boom box. 😪

But I did have 2 lbs of fresh halibut and a reusable vegetable bag! So after laboriously grinding up some old GG and singing to KC & The Sunshine Band, got to work.

View attachment 1311415

After putting the halibut in the freezer, I added the accompanying dry ice to the weed in the fruit bag and shook out the trichomes. My grinder is such a POS it was too monotonous doing more than a few grams at a time. But it looked surprisingly clean (and clung together nicely).

View attachment 1311416

Lacking a press (or heated rolling pin) I just sprinkled the “sparkle” on top of a thin layer of flower in the bong.

I got so high I had to go lay down.

Thanks for posting all the videos GNick!
cool, i think i got the jist of it.. if it is pretty clean you could lightly use a lighter to heat a couple grams on the palm of your hand to hand press together..
press, little heat, press, little heat.. and so on kinda thing.. if it starts working than get out nitrile gloves and squeeze and rub into a ball and squeeze.. etc even rip apart and rub into a ball.. just work it for abit.. 10, 15 min should be plenty…

mancorn

mancorn

I did try using a “decorative” straight sided bottle, filled w/water and microwaved. But pretty sure my “cellophane” wasn’t actually cellophane as I now see it has a #5 recycle (which I see is polypropylene). The trichomes did seem to melt and clump together *somewhat*, but appeared more like dry clay and didn’t really stick together like I’d expected. (Most stay stuck to the plastic, which seemed dangerous stupid to smoke, so I tossed it.) I’ll give your suggestions a try.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

What’s the science on how the trichomes stay stuck together, like you showed when turning over the bowl? Is this just because the trichomes are sticky? I was under the impression that the trichomes became hard when subjected to cold (and why you freeze the weed before shifting). Is there something else going on which causes the trichomes to stay attached besides stickiness?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
What’s the science on how the trichomes stay stuck together, like you showed when turning over the bowl? Is this just because the trichomes are sticky? I was under the impression that the trichomes became hard when subjected to cold (and why you freeze the weed before shifting). Is there something else going on which causes the trichomes to stay attached besides stickiness?
what binds everything together is when pressing, some heads are breaking apart and it’s that “oil” that’s binding everything..
my metal bowl is resin that i’ve collected and let sit a while in room temp for no reason probably as im rolling joints and getting ready to press etc, it’s one of my test to see the consistency of it to either just press or go clean it more.. means nothing kinda showing off..

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

What a great thread, thanks GNick. Stumbled across this right as I'm looking at a fresh pile of dry sift and wondering what I'm going to do with it.

BTW, I love that you apologized for swearing early on, then preceded to swear all throughout lol.

freezeland2

freezeland2

what binds everything together is when pressing, some heads are breaking apart and it’s that “oil” that’s binding everything..
my metal bowl is resin that i’ve collected and let sit a while in room temp for no reason probably as im rolling joints and getting ready to press etc, it’s one of my test to see the consistency of it to either just press or go clean it more.. means nothing kinda showing off..
Is it ever to cold to sift? Like if it’s below freezing in the space you are sifting in.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

Is it ever to cold to sift? Like if it’s below freezing in the space you are sifting in.
yes and no, obviously that cold will generate more contaminate but at the same time you won’t have to sift much..
please people get nitrile gloves, it makes leaps in compared to older cleaning methods and so easy..
i’ll help anyone with it..

freezeland2

freezeland2

yes and no, obviously that cold will generate more contaminate but at the same time you won’t have to sift much..
please people get nitrile gloves, it makes leaps in compared to older cleaning methods and so easy..
i’ll help anyone with it..
Oh I have a few boxes of nitrile gloves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom