• Thread starter RMCG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tonic12

DIY Dosers

First off, your thread is F-ing :cool0010:
your hard work shows

Could you please post some more pics of your DIY dosing system, it seems simple yet effective.

R

RMCG

This one is sort of geared towards the specific pump that I have (control port) etc.

I will snap pix up for the combo (TDS/pH) 3 pump unit (2 part nute/pH down) I build next.

If you have 12v peristaltic pumps, you would want the BL 12v unit, jump the hot wire over to the 'dosing' relay, which is Normally Open. When the controller detects it needs to dose, it fires the relay and completes that circuit and supplies juice to your pumps.

R

RMCG

Get to work already :evilgrin0040:

Dying to make one of these.........

Working on it! :)

I've been thinking more and more about this and may step it up to a 4 pump unit with some other 'goodies'. 12VDC pumps are 'adjustable' via input voltage, so I could dose additives in a set ratio to base nutes. ie 100ml/min base AND 10ml/min additive + seperate ph doser. Ideally the third pump will be on a potentiometer, so turn the dial 1-10 and its 10-100ml/min sort of a thing. If I can't find a potentiometer with the right steps, then I will just use a resistor to 'set' it to something I like.

Controllers and pumps are on their way, need to hit up some supply houses to see if I can find what I need regarding the other bits.

Stay tuned.

R

RMCG

Room 1:

Looks like I have a bad reflector. Wiring or something is whacked. Intermittently cycling the bulb. Moved it to another ballast and it continued to happen, so will swap out that reflector tomorrow.

Smells in the room are getting stronger. 'Flowery' perfume and incense.

IMAG0151

IMAG0152

IMAG0153

IMAG0154

IMAG0155

IMAG0156

IMAG0157

Room 2:

I had one reflector hanging cable pull out of the wall. 2 Kahuna reflectors came CRASHING down while I was in the room. Sharp eyebolts and steel cable flying around. Scared the crap out of me. Luckily the tempered glass is STRONG and nothing broke. Those things are too damn heavy. I swapped out that set of reflectors for some cool tubes. They fit perfectly inside the Kahuna's and I actually like that footprint better. 4 was a little too much over the 9 site Evo, nearly half of the reflector was hanging over the epicenter, so I will take this as a good thing. If I had a 12 site I would do Kahuna -> Cool Tube -> Kahuna and I think it would be perfect.

Solution came out to [email protected], so the vegging plants got transplanted in to the system. Flip-box got hooked back up, so they are in the dark tonight starting 12/12.

With all of the reflector crap I didn't get to flush the Veg UC or the table or finish the trimming in Room 1. That is on the agenda for tomorrow.

IMAG0147

IMAG0148

IMAG0149

IMAG0150

B

BudLust

cant believe nuthin broke after that crash. must be a heavy ass lamp. glad to hear u got things fixed and ready to roll. ladies are lookin good and strong.

-boom

R

RMCG

I fully expected ~something~ to break after dropping nearly 4ft!

Not even a scratch on the reflector.

Just glad it happened BEFORE plants went in to the system...

R

RMCG

I've been needing to add some additional in/out min/max thermometers/hygrometers to the rooms to monitor the rooms.

The typical ones in grow stores ~work~, but for a few pennies more, I went with a few of these and got a bunch of functionality.

I get datalogging, realtime online access, text/email alerts on highs/lows, ambient temp/humidity AND res temp monitoring. It comes with 1 year of alerts, additional year of text/email alerts is 10$.

Each sensor is 30$. The internet gateway was another 30$. The gateway can handle 20 sensors.

31K-FxIsSZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• TX60U-It Measures: Ambeint Air pressure, Ambient humidity, Probe temperature
  • 6Ft. Detachable, waterproof temperature probe measures water, soil and other conditions such as in a refrigerator/aquarium
  • E-mail and Text Alert Notifications Included FREE for One year
  • Weather Direct Gateway with LAN cable & AC adapter (not induded)
  • Requires wireless gateway, available with most Weather Direct products

Monitor and protect what's important to you with TX60U-IT Wireless temperature & humidity sensor with soil/water probe.

Oversee your temperature levels in a wine cellar, warehouse, food pantry, or computer server rooms.

Keep track of humidity levels in a greenhouse, basement, aquatic or amphibious pet tanks.

Create your own custom alerts to notify you by e-mail or text message if the temperature or humidity measurements exceed your defined range.

Download spreadsheets of collected measurements logs for your records so that you can see how the conditions have changed over time.

Internet access and network router required.

Set up multiple sensor to monitor different areas. Get on-site reading with LCD displays of ambient temperature, ambient humidity, and water probe temperature with the included detachable 6-foot waterproof probe.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

VERY sweet! Thanks for sharing the info! Can you do a PH doser for dummies maybe when you get that far? Very interested in your DIY doser details please sir. Plants looking all perky also!

R

RMCG

VERY sweet! Thanks for sharing the info! Can you do a PH doser for dummies maybe when you get that far? Very interested in your DIY doser details please sir. Plants looking all perky also!

I'm doing a combo dosing unit next. 2 part nutes and pH, using the Hanna controllers, wired in to one box, controlling 3 remote pumps. This unit end up costing ~$560 in the end, but compared to AMHydro's doser, Its a bargain. Granted, I don't get pH up AND down, software, logging, etc. but for $1700, I can live with out it. I can also customize and add pumps for $70ea If I wanted to dose additives too.

I will take pix, type up a howto, etc. but its pretty basic.

For a very simple pH doser (like what I currently have), you just need a Milwaukee SMS122, a 5 gallon bucket(or smaller), and a tiny pump. I used 'reptile' pumps available at PetSmart (Repti-200) or something.

You could ALSO use an airpump, airline and a tee to push solution out (similar to the way a WaterFarm works, if you understand that concept) instead of the reptile pump. Not sure on the pressure, head it can generate though.

The controller has a built-in plug outlet for the pump. When it reaches your set point, it activates the outlet and the pump turns on. The pump is such a slow little thing and the pH down solution is VERY dilute (50ml of AN down in 5 gallons) , that it adds a tablespoon or three to the epicenter and kicks off. As it gets closer to the set point, it cycles more and more frequently until it stops dosing completely. Not sure how hard it is on the pump, but they are cheap and I have spares. All told, that cost me ~140$. 120+ for the controller, a few bucks for tubing and a clean bucket and lid, and like 12$ for the pump.

Milwaukee makes the 122-X (Don't remember exact model) that doses pH UP. That will activate the outlet when you go BELOW your set point. My needs require pH down, very rarely up. Make sure you get the one you need.

With the new one I am building, I hope to have a little more control over it and the ability to use more concentrated pH solution 100:1 or something. Cost is slightly more due to the very small pump dose (5.6ml/min), but controller, probe and pump for that is ~$230 and will allow me to wall mount it and get a much smaller container for the solution vs the 5 gallon bucket.

B

Bobby Smith

All right homeboy, you've now thoroughly gotten my attention :)

Firstly, about to copy your SMS122 idea, but need to get some other things sorted in my room to find space for it.

Really though, I'm more interested in the data logger (and specifically the email/text alerts).

If I don't want/am able to have a computer in my grow room, how could I configure that to still send me alerts?

Could I go buy another wireless router and stick it in there? I have wireless Net already, so what could I do?

And what is an Internet gateway? Is that all I would need?

I'm obviously a real techie.........lol.

R

RMCG

All right homeboy, you've now thoroughly gotten my attention :)

Firstly, about to copy your SMS122 idea, but need to get some other things sorted in my room to find space for it.

Really though, I'm more interested in the data logger (and specifically the email/text alerts).

If I don't want/am able to have a computer in my grow room, how could I configure that to still send me alerts?

Could I go buy another wireless router and stick it in there? I have wireless Net already, so what could I do?

And what is an Internet gateway? Is that all I would need?

I'm obviously a real techie.........lol.

Hold tight, because I think you will like the hanna setup better. Apparently the pH controller is backordered about a week, so should have it going in ~10-12 days.

These sensors operate wirelessly on 915Mhz, so they don't use ~your~ wireless (2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz) think old 'cordless phones @ 900Mhz.

They have a few hundred foot range (300' unobstructed) but people are using these in their wine cellars and garages just fine. The gateway is their product and just plugs in to your existing network router/hub/switch whatever. It is outbound traffic only, so no changes are necessary to your set up. It feeds the website that you register your controller on, and when you log in and setup your controller/sensors on the site, their site sends the alerts. They sell a gateway and single sensor 'kit' for ~46$ here. Plug and Play for non-techies. :)

B

Bobby Smith

Hehe :)

So I just need a sensor and a gateway, which will plug into my wireless router?

Garage is only about 40 feet from my router, so I think I'm good there.

Sweetness - you're the man :)

R

RMCG

I will also be adding one to the OUTSIDE of my spot to get and track external temp/humidity so I can see how that correlates with internal temperatures that I see. They also make slick little 'display' units for 30-50$ that will display your current weather, and cycle through your sensors.

B

Bobby Smith

I just ordered one; $60 delivered, but that has got to be the best bargain going for the alert functionality as well as the ability to graph the historical data.

Sickness - great find bro :)

R

RMCG

Room 2 res temp was really high, like 77-78*. Not sure what the deal is with that? Room 1 res temp is 66* all day, with no chiller!?. Going to have to investigate that...

So after an emergency run to HD and I quickly plumbed in the chiller and coil. I did have to interrupt their dark cycle to finish it up, but should be good by tomorrow.

1200GPH Pondmaster
20g Brute
1/2 HP Chiller
Ranco Temp Controller set to 63*
Industrial / Insulated hose
SS Wort chiller

I still want to plumb in the other room off of the same res/pump/chiller, so will take some minor work to get that in, but there is no 'urgency' like there was today. I will finish cleaning up the chiller res, more insulation, cut holes in the lid, etc.

IMAG0158

IMAG0159

IMAG0160

Veg UC got cleaned and refilled. Plants will go in tomorrow after the solution balances.

true grit

true grit

Damn those hoods coming down came down at the right time at least! Nothing catastrophic equals awesome.

Looks like you are killin it bro, the next room looks sick too!! You are uber innnovative over there man, youll have these things nailed in no time!

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Thanks for the very detailed post bro! I tried to give you more rep but it would not let me!

FYI- If you or anyone needs help with the computer part or networking I have a background in computer networking and repair.

Awesome info here!

R

RMCG

Damn those hoods coming down came down at the right time at least! Nothing catastrophic equals awesome.

Looks like you are killin it bro, the next room looks sick too!! You are uber innnovative over there man, youll have these things nailed in no time!

Yeah, definitely could have been worse. I should have just gone with a these:

hydroponic_grow_stand_light_rack_with_plants_no_holes_bar_basic.gif

nhb_basic_edited.jpg

Your new room idea has me really intrigued too and keeps me thinking in my spare time...

While some of these things are 'gadgets', I think the temp sensors are really a must for any one. Not everyone has a high-temp shut off on their lighting or is in their room 24/7. Really cheap piece of mind.

I've got a few more ideas swirling around regarding control/monitoring.

I want a life outside of gardening and being able to take a 3 day vacation while things are on autopilot is priceless. The problem with automation is that it can make you LAZY and that is a bad thing.

Playbook/Checklist is a must.

Thanks for the very detailed post bro! I tried to give you more rep but it would not let me!

FYI- If you or anyone needs help with the computer part or networking I have a background in computer networking and repair.

Awesome info here!

Thanks, if you need help with that, let me know, but once its in front of you, it will make sense. I've got over 15yrs in the field as well. :)

R

RMCG

Veg table got scrubbed and res changed.

White Dawg's are transplanted to netpots and on the table.

The 'mix' got moved from the table to the Veg UC.

Room 2 res temps were 63* with a bullet, so I set the Ranco temp controller on the chiller to 65* with a 1* variance. Might move it up to 67* tomorrow. Curious to see how the temp settings correlate to actual res temps. I am hoping to run both rooms off the 1/2hp setup. Worst case, I add another chiller to the same res and recirculate it right back to the res for added heat removal.

Still have a 1/4 or 1/3HP chiller to add to the veg room, if needed.

Room 1 is looking good. PPM's were lowish 300's but I am going to let it ride tonight and hit them with base nutes tomorrow.

I need to make the screen for Room 2 and will work on getting the chiller plumbed for Room 1 now that I am ~mostly~ done with everything this week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom