Earthworms in indoor soil?

• Thread starter iDab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tnelz

Tnelz

Not sure if it's been said already but "the rev" has been doing this forever. Check out tlo growing. Pretty good book and he shows a hundred different pics of worms in his indoor pots. If u are amending soil with all the meals and stuff the worms will eat that all day. Not sure how many worms a five gallon pot could hold but can't see it doing any harm. And unless u are totally drowning ur plants maintaining a healthy population shouldn't be a big deal. In saying all that I would say it would be beneficial but the benefits would be negligible. Positive vibes to yall. Check that book though u would Def find it interesting.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Not sure if it's been said already but "the rev" has been doing this forever. Check out tlo growing. Pretty good book and he shows a hundred different pics of worms in his indoor pots. If u are amending soil with all the meals and stuff the worms will eat that all day. Not sure how many worms a five gallon pot could hold but can't see it doing any harm. And unless u are totally drowning ur plants maintaining a healthy population shouldn't be a big deal. In saying all that I would say it would be beneficial but the benefits would be negligible. Positive vibes to yall. Check that book though u would Def find it interesting.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
That's why u put a spicket at the bottom of your worm bin and take the juice not the real worms. Air ration is what worms help with. Poke holes in dirt. Sounds like a big old mess in a supposably clean environment Remember a hot soil kills

colostoney

colostoney

Great advantage a wigglers in your grow and even as a farmin worm for castings is they don't drown easy at all and actually live well semi aquatic. I have several tanks a aquatic salamanders for aquaponic work I feed wigglrs and sometimes a sneaky one will survive a week or more in there. I use a 80% inert subsoil and an all organic hydro style and Im surprised I find adult wigglers in my medium and reservoirs thriving all the time. Every other species I worked with drowns easy. I share plants all the time with my friends and sometimes over a year later they'll find some my worms thriving in the medium and I never put actual worms in my soil these all start from the living castings. I screen harvest all my castings on my bins twice a year and I just use big totes from walmart and feed leaves scraps grass straw and especially waste fruits from neighbors apple trees or whatever when the season gives it.......for winter I just enrich the medium with straw and some fresh organic leaves n fall waste and some manure to keep them warm and put them in my unheated garage. I keep a worm bin in my kitchen usually for scrap though and one downstairs for all my weed plant matter scrap. best weed I ever grew effortless was when walmart had castings on sale for 2 dollars for 20lbs in the nineties for several years and since I went back to it I cut my herb nutrient costs by 90% and grow a lot better bud way easier.....Healthy Castings are all marijuana needs for food with some water really.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Vermicomposting... Why cause its Fucking fun! :D

Heres a cpl peaks at my guys working on some shit i threw in last week.. needa feed them again soonish. They eat ALOT!

GEDC0006
GEDC0007
GEDC0008
GEDC0009

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Theres 3 bins there btw with over 1000 red wigglers and over 400 worms plucked from my own back yard no idea what species they are but.. killed a few of the night crawlers those don't last very long.. But the bigger michigan worms seem to handle the warm horse shit i throw in there so..

Most of the bedding is a bag of left over organic soil then coco coir then vermiculite then peat moss mixed up then a dry layer of peat moss on top to keep them from wandering around the lid and shit..

Dunge

Dunge

Shot of the full worm / tea station.
DSCN4189

And under the hood.
DSCN4190

I put tea solids atop this top layer.
I'll put together a time series to show them swarming the solids.

dilligaf

dilligaf

I tried to do this with a tote one time...worms crawled out so I had to stop due to opinion of wife..lol

shesatoker

shesatoker

I really like those worms and bins. Im trying this with some of the worms I got from the castings I bought. I loved the brand black castings tm. There were so many worms and cocoons In there.My local place I shop at quit selling that brand. So now I am trying to make my own.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I really like those worms and bins. Im trying this with some of the worms I got from the castings I bought. I loved the brand black castings tm. There were so many worms and cocoons In there.My local place I shop at quit selling that brand. So now I am trying to make my own.

On ebay they sell starter colonies of cocoons for like 6-8$ you get a ton of cocoons If you really wanna start ground up :P

U

untangle

What would you feed them? Outside they feed on dead and decaying matter.. indoors you would have to supplement that feeding with something else.

Novel idea but in the long run i think you'd just either end up killing the worms with nutes , drowning them from too much water or you'll end up attracting bugs from supplementing there food source.
Just a thought. I'm a fisherman and I've had night crawlers live through the winter in a relatively small container in my frig through the winter and they seemed healthy and lively in the spring.

U

untangle

Worms love soil and all that's in it and they bring the nuitreints from the lowest level of the compost back to the top. They are god's best recycalers(spx). Their enemy is heat...
I'm a old/new farmer...if you're a farmer who loves growing good or better...your are always learning. When you know it all, you die.

bagseedwndrs

bagseedwndrs

Mites and such are actually beneficial to a worm bin and are fairly common if you find there a nuisance you can discourage them by burying the food scraps a little and covering them up, the worms will have 0 issues finding the food trust me lol

When i get antsy / bored i like to poke around and see all them eating up the food, checking for new babies/eggs ect ect. Its a really fun and rewarding hobby! :D
Bro my compost bin was full of flippin thrips and mites prolly not anymore thanks to freezing temps for last week but are those bugs beneficial to compost? Also respect on your arguing skillz @LittleDabbie

Top Bottom