Earthworms in indoor soil?

• Thread starter iDab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
You lucky son of a gun... Time to get a storage bin. I would be a worm casting hoarder, I would be on that show and psychologists would try to convince me just to get rid of a little bit of worm castings, I might... reluctantly of course.

A Storage bin wont do the trick. I have mutliple farms going at once so i need a few LARGE swimming pools to hold everything i got atm lol

It does help that i bought up a few pumpkins before halloween and i picked a ton of fruit from the yard to stock pile for them, and the horse shit.. lol

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Can you store the castings outside somehow? Sounds like I will be doing the same thing, foraging for my worms.

I'll prolly just put them in a few trash bags poke a cpl holes and throw them in the garage for winter, not much else i can do with the castings till the spring thaw at least.

Less the weather wants to be really nice and i can spread the shit early lol

colostoney

colostoney

lol yeah im up to my ass in worm castings atm and its the middle of fucking winter.. I have no idea where im going to store all this till spring gets here lol

see Jah provides brudder trade tem to a way down organic grower bro we all just love castings id trade ya for bud if you were local lmao serious though that's what id do put them on craigs for trade for weed or girls man

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
see Jah provides brudder trade tem to a way down organic grower bro we all just love castings id trade ya for bud if you were local lmao serious though that's what id do put them on craigs for trade for weed or girls man

If i had no use for them id give them away for sure, however i DO have a use for them just not till i can plant outside. I have a garden planned this spring to get me outside more this summer but i kinda need thawed ground and such before i can spread my seeds...

U

untangle

Hi peeps, new here!

I'm looking into growing organic indoors, which I've never done before, only outdoors so far..

So I know earthworms are great for the garden. Great for plants. Mixing EWC in with soil is really good for it and all that..

Outdoors plants have worms living in the soil with no probs. So can I have a good community of worms in indoor grows? Will there be any problems I'm not thinking about? Or is it all good?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks peeps! :)

U

untangle

I've had worms (night crawlers) live in the frig in the container from the fishing store, all winter and were lively when I opened them up in April. No additional feeding required. It's good for them and your soil.
Be cautious not to over water
I'm buying a dozen per 5 Gal. pot next planting. I'll put them in with my used soil when I'm harvesting.

U

untangle

Cool yeh, well I notice my outdoor plants often have worms in the soil, without me either putting them there or feeding them.

I think they must come out of the ground and enter through the drainage holes..

Anyway they see to live in those pots quite happily and I always see that as a benefit to my plants.

So I was thinking, if outdoors, then why not indoors?
They live in your soil and if you have worms, You have good soil. I don't think you need to feed them. They go through your soil recycling it.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

My grandfather used to feed his fruit and vegetable scraps and news paper in a big tub in his basement. He would put the newspaper and scraps on top of the dirt and a few weeks later it would be gone.

U

untangle

My grandfather used to feed his fruit and vegetable scraps and news paper in a big tub in his basement. He would put the newspaper and scraps on top of the dirt and a few weeks later it would be gone.

U

untangle

I've purchased worms and the medium they were in was newspaper.

keiksweat

keiksweat

There's a weed nerds vid on you tube.organics grower called Minnesota nice ,I think.he's got indoor dialled in.he has other small plants growing in his pots with the weed worms living side by side happy.healthy as fuk.lots of mulch straw and stuff on top of potz.check him out. Its all about feeding the soil not the plant!!!...

shaganja

shaganja

Worms love soil and all that's in it and they bring the nuitreints from the lowest level of the compost back to the top. They are god's best recycalers(spx). Their enemy is heat...
and perlite. they dont like it. it cuts them.

shaganja

shaganja

This summer will be doing raised beds. And just saw a trick called a worm tower. I will be putting 5 gallon buckets drilled with holes in the dirt up to the rim. This will sit next to plant, in the dirt. The worms and veg scraps newspaper goes in the bucket. They crawl into the soil, and back again eating the food in the bucket. There is a product using this idea called subpot. Check out worm towers. Will do this inside after I see how well it goes outdoors.

Mascannabis

Mascannabis

Saw this thread and thought I would leave my opinion. I got a 3x6 raised bed indoors all organic. I put in 2 lbs of worms a couple months ago and they have been reproducing and eating like crazy! I see no problem in having worms indoors as long as you keep the temps right and the moisture in the soil right. I use worms in my outdoor pots as well and their effect seems to be the same. They eat, aerate, and poop.

20900D58 8FCD 4097 B090 886ACA3BDCF1
shaganja

shaganja

Saw this thread and thought I would leave my opinion. I got a 3x6 raised bed indoors all organic. I put in 2 lbs of worms a couple months ago and they have been reproducing and eating like crazy! I see no problem in having worms indoors as long as you keep the temps right and the moisture in the soil right. I use worms in my outdoor pots as well and their effect seems to be the same. They eat, aerate, and poop.
They look happy! What's your cover crop?

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Done it before - don't know how helpful it was. You need to watch out for heat and nutrients basically. They should be fine in various stages of wet - dry soil but not extremes obviously.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
While this is a zombie thread, I gotta say that raised bed indoors is cool af. Never considered it.

shaganja

shaganja

With the growing popularity of regenerative soil, I think we will see a boom of new organic methods. It's so much cheaper to do, and easier! Awaken the worm zombie thread!!Lol

Top Bottom