Earthworms in indoor soil?

• Thread starter iDab
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
way2green

way2green

I put red and blue wigglers in my pots all of the time......at night they crawl across the tables and enter different pots. Pretty weird...... Sometimes they get caught before they can reach cover and the lights will killed but not often. When I empty my containers outside in my garden it is nuts to see how big these damn worms are......I don't feed them anything......I guess they flourish on the organics and different types of meal such as kelp and alfalfa.....
Crazy really but it definitely works........worms are so inexpensive also

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yeah they uptake pretty much anything thats dead and or dying, The kelp and alfalfa both will sprout molds and bacterias the worms will feast on. :D

And yeah 1 of my 3 bins was getting a little over crowded lately and i found a good pile of dead ones on the floor last few days.. Decided it was time to change bedding, prolly should have checked the PH and added a little lime but instead i just added some fresh coir hoping that will suffice.

And i fed them :P

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

imagine if you will a slide scale slice of your local forest and all those worms other critters breaking down EVERYTHING they come across in the soils! my neighbor feeds her wigglers hair from the barber shops lmao!

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

There are lots of stables around here that would gladly give it away, most gardeners don't like it because its full of weed seeds and it turns into an issue in the veggie garden. Unless it is really composted well it isn't a fave of mine but I imagine the worms would eat the shit and seeds and all. I will have to go after a supply soon then.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
imagine if you will a slide scale slice of your local forest and all those worms other critters breaking down EVERYTHING they come across in the soils! my neighbor feeds her wigglers hair from the barber shops lmao!

The same can be imagined only with mycelium, Look at the over 2000 square miles of network in the sequoa? National forest in western washington

Tho there is one bigger i believe they found.. But still a consuming force to be reckoned with

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
There are lots of stables around here that would gladly give it away, most gardeners don't like it because its full of weed seeds and it turns into an issue in the veggie garden. Unless it is really composted well it isn't a fave of mine but I imagine the worms would eat the shit and seeds and all. I will have to go after a supply soon then.

Even the straw/Hay will breakdown and release carbon into your bin another +1 :D If its organic the worms want it!!

Horse shit rabbit shit goat chicken ect ect ect the list goes on with the exception of human and dog.. That takes too long to break down

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Yopu have to watch the documentary DIRT, Paul Stamets talks about mycelium in it, I love Paul, a little weird but a smart man.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Yopu have to watch the documentary DIRT, Paul Stamets talks about mycelium in it, I love Paul, a little weird but a smart man.

Yuh! Hes a good guy, tho i always leaned more toward alexander shulgin More of a down to earth realistic guy. And a chemist so lol that always peaked my interest, but even listening to him talk he always has some of the most interesting views on things.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Indeed, there were a lot of pioneers / Chemists who certainly paved the way. You should be familiar with Aldous Huxley as well then, there were a few Documentaries on Psychedelics with these guys in them, they were exploring ways to treat mental illness to alcoholism.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Indeed, there were a lot of pioneers / Chemists who certainly paved the way. You should be familiar with Aldous Huxley as well then, there were a few Documentaries on Psychedelics with these guys in them, they were exploring ways to treat mental illness to alcoholism.

He was my inspiration behind using mushrooms to help remove the grip alcohol held on me! :D

Read alot of books before i decided to quit drinking Knew i was headed in a direction but at the time had no idea where :D

Books on DMT were fun to read but didn't find they matched up to my experiences with the substance so that was a bummer ..

Anyway back on topic.. uhmm.. Worms! yeah!

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

LMAO!! Ya worms, just fed mine actually, and just to slide in one comment about the other topic, I read about it for my whole thing on Alcohol as well, but never went forward with anything.
I have seen pictures of worm farms on the net and people have these containers under the spout, and it looks like its full of leachate mine hasn't done this yet. I wonder if it ever will. It is only a few months old though

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
LMAO!! Ya worms, just fed mine actually, and just to slide in one comment about the other topic, I read about it for my whole thing on Alcohol as well, but never went forward with anything.
I have seen pictures of worm farms on the net and people have these containers under the spout, and it looks like its full of leachate mine hasn't done this yet. I wonder if it ever will. It is only a few months old though

ONLY if you water the bin will that happen, I keep the soil moist enuff ( Coir ) that if you squeeze only a drop or 2 comes out... I let the worms get most of there moister from the food scraps and if need be i add extra water to the scraps while blending it all to make sure they get plenty when i feed them.

That and i don't have a tap on mine so im not watering my bins lol

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

I wont lie ive pulled lawn clippings off the lawn and thrown them into the bin before........I like experimenting.

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

exactly, I wanted to get something in there that wouldn't just blast thru when finding food for them was lean, I way over did it when I first got into this lol. typical for me tho...bvang my head a few times then learn and move on lol.

colostoney

colostoney

leaf litter off a variety of trees and grass is a very excellent supplement for your worms
I actually just gathered two full brrels a a mix a bout 5 species a trees and grass and some compsted horse shit for my cultures to overwinter
I use peat free worm cultures Ill start with some shreaded soaked newsprint or cardboard and some manure usually
no peat ever
Peat harvest is seriously fucking up pristine pieces a nature folks boycott its use
do the right thing don't use promix or any peat based mix

so what l do is when I sift my castings Ill replace the unused material and worms back in the bins in two inch layers
with a layer of leaf material or straw in between
sometimes I add manure to the straw or leaf as well
waste fruit is also just simply crack for wigglers and especially apples will just cause absolute population explosion
Ya know for being worms lol I have an extensive back ground in animal husbandry but these wigglers
took some fine tuning to learn to raise successfully but once ya get it they explode
also dirty straw from my henhouse works best worms love to eat poop
yummy yummy yummy the slimey lil wigglers scream

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I have a few bags of leaves that went through the shredder vac, but I think they are going in the compost pile, gonna add some essential microbes and let them populate the leaves and stuff. Worm bin is a bit of an enigma for me at the moment, I have to wrap my head around how much they eat.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I have a few bags of leaves that went through the shredder vac, but I think they are going in the compost pile, gonna add some essential microbes and let them populate the leaves and stuff. Worm bin is a bit of an enigma for me at the moment, I have to wrap my head around how much they eat.

lol yeah im up to my ass in worm castings atm and its the middle of fucking winter.. I have no idea where im going to store all this till spring gets here lol

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

You lucky son of a gun... Time to get a storage bin. I would be a worm casting hoarder, I would be on that show and psychologists would try to convince me just to get rid of a little bit of worm castings, I might... reluctantly of course.

Top Bottom